Divorcebusting.com
Well, I just came over from the New Comers section. I started officially dating after I got my divorce (my ex-wife and I had been separated for 2.5 years, so this was not a rebound or anything), but have since run into heart-breaking situation.

My ex-gf and I met 4 months ago through church. To say we hit it off right away would be an understatement. We could talk for 4-5 hours everyday without a dull moment, we understood each other, our jokes, our religious philosophies, she and I had all the visual cues that we were attracted to each other, friends commented on how our faces light up when we see each other, etc.

We wanted to do it the right away and be right with God, so we waited till I was officially divorced at the end of October before we started dating. In the meantime, we remained "friends with potential" as we jokingly referred to each other.

So we started dating and it was amazing; we had loads of fun and again, there never was a dull moment. We enjoyed each other's company and respected each other greatly. A week later, however, just as I was sensing that she was keeping me at arm's length and the cold shoulder, she broke up with me, citing that if we got married, she did not want to deal with the stresses of my ex-wife being in the picture. I practiced some DB/DRing and made very minimal contact with her. A week later, we reconciled after we talked about her concern a little more. Since the beginning of our relationship, I reassured her I will try my darnest to protect her and buffer her from the stresses of living a life with an ex. It may not always be the case, but I told her I understood the fear and great dedication needed to date a guy with an ex-wife.

The following week, we celebrated Thanksgiving dinner with my family. A few days after that, I started sensing the same distance from her again. Then she wanted to meet upon Saturday to talk. When we met up, she said that she was still struggling with this and wanted to stay her choice to never date a guy with baggage (apparently she came to this decision after she dated a divorced man 3 years ago). Did that prior decision stop her from her attraction to me, to flirt with me, to want to date me? No! And so it really blew me mind and saddened me intensely that she went with her head rather than her heart. What's going here?

That evening after the break up, I made a conscious decision to maintain contact with her, even though a few hours earlier I had said to her that I would be lying to myself, her and God by being her friend; my feelings for her are deeper than that.

So that night I texted her the following:

"Hey, hope you're doing okay. I just want you to know how much I've enjoyed our relationship, and how much I've learned and that I still love you to bits. Even though we're not together, I'll always be available to race you around a digital racetrack (we enjoyed hitting the arcades), discuss mundane nerd factoids, Trekkie trivia (we're not fans, but loved joking about Trek fans. No offense), the awesomeness of God, and possibly Schnooki and JWOWW (we made fun of them to no end; and Schnooki also became my ex-gf's nickname). Hope you have a good night, S."

She responded 8 minutes later, "Thank you Alamo smile I hope you have a good night too"

I texted my ex-gf another time the next day (Monday) which became a short conversation about her new boss at school and work, with an occasional smiley face by her. She didn't not ask about me or anything, though. In one of her last messages that day, she said, "Ya, I still have my job so thats a good start for me :)" And I decided to chance it and threw out a compliment (and I meant every word of it), "Indeed! I'm happy He keeps us blessed with work. And it would be an absolute crime if your school, for some insane reason, decided not to keep one of its best, most hardworking and dedicated teachers I know."

She responded "Thank you, that is kind of you to say"

So the million dollar question is: is it "safe" to actively (but cautiously) pursue her? Besides the very occasional texts, I'm hoping to drop by her workplace and leave some origami cats (she's a cat person) on her car with a funny note (because we love to joke). I'm not sure if she'll see that as stalking or as something subtlely romantic. And then there's Xmas and Valentine's....

Anyway, how can she completely turn off her feelings just like that, or is it? How did, as a woman, her head won over her heart? Aside from this, I truly believe we could've made an amazing couple. For those familiar with my situation, meeting S was truly God-sent. That's why I made the choice to keep wooing her.
Do you remember any of the lessons learned from DB? Give her space and GAL.

"How did, as a woman, her head won over her heart? "

That's how it's supposed to be. That's what we often hoped our WAS would do in terms of thinking rationally. Your XGF is smart enough to know what she wants or doesn't want from prior experience.

Your hope is that you left enough of a lasting impression that she would want to come back because it's not like you can get rid of your "baggage".

Right now she's thinking of all that so give her space.
Alamo,

The reasons she is telling she does not want to see you .....are not important in the big picture here.

She has broken it off with you...twice in a month. She is trying to be nice.

You are pursuing her and my opinion is....if I broke it off with a guy for whatever reason..and he came to my work to leave origami cats on my car....it would kinda freak me out.

You need to back off. Plus...you were only dating a month and your saying "I love you" To much, to fast, to soon.

Stop pursing her...her follow up text in your own words "she did not ask about me or anything"

I know it is difficult but you must step back.
Hey Mr. Bond, nice to see you again! And thanks Sandycay for dropping in too!

I wholeheartedly agree with you guys about backing off. But (and you knew there's a but) what's confounding to me about my ex-gf is when she broke up with me the first time, she also initiated the reconciliation. She came to ME to ask if we could reconnect, etc.

Is she undecided? Fickle? Or has some commitment phobia?

I also need to clarify that the origami cats is just an idea. I was debating on giving a home made gift to her personally/impersonally (somewhere she'll see it or via mail). A gift that, not at face value at least, doesn't point to our relationship per se, but more towards something she likes and enjoys.

Originally Posted By: MrBond

Your XGF is smart enough to know what she wants or doesn't want from prior experience.

This is another thing that boggles me, if she knew what she wanted due to prior experience, why did she choose to see/date/flirt with me in the first place? Again, I go back to my question, is she undecided?
"why did she choose to see/date/flirt with me in the first place?"

Because as we all know, fantasy and reality are two different things. She was interested (as all people are in the beginning), then the longer you were together, there were more "real life" situations that come up and the veil of fantasy slowly starts to disappear. That's when she decided to really think if this is what she wanted long-term.
And another thing that boggles me to no end, is the fact there wasn't anything wrong with us. The only obstacle for my ex-gf was my ex-wife. Our chemistry/attraction was (I'm very certain) mutual and definitely not fake.

I have to also add that (for those who doubt) by practicing DB/DRing during the first break up, she came back on her own volition.

This time, for some reason, I feel less resolute in maintaining no contact. I guess it's because (a) there was nothing wrong with us, (b) we separated on rather good terms (no anger, no resentment, no critisms).

Sandycay, I forgot to answer your point about saying "I love you". Well, S always knew how I felt about her (because the new Alamo is more emotionally available and expressive!), though I never said love at any time. She knew that I was falling for her and that's it.

I decided to say "I love you to bits" is after some introspection after the break up, I thought that I needed to at least be honest with her and myself.
Oh and possibly another important note is that during the break up conversation, she couldn't stop blushing every time I recounted a good memory or gave her a compliment.

When asked if she had an issue with me, she couldn't answer. When asked if she and I both experienced the feelings we did, she couldn't look me in the eye, and kept saying "I'm sorry, Alamo."

To top it off, she decided not to stay at our church anymore. frown
Let it go. Remember to let go of things that you can't control.
Run! Run away quickly!

I know, I know - she seemed perfect, it all seemed like just what you were looking for - yada yada yada.

But seriously - if it was all that great, and she's running already? Either:

A) It wasn't really all that great for her,she's just a good faker, or
B) She's got intimacy issues and runs when it gets close, or
C) She's too much of a weenie to tell you the truth which is that her old boyfriend came back or some such

Let it go. The fantasy was nice but there's something very wrong here with the reality. Don't waste any more of your time.
Hi Alamo,
It's good to hear from you - although I wish about better news.

I hate to say it - but I kinda agree with kml. I know that you have feelings for this woman but you can't make people get over their own fears.

And you have only known her for 4 months? Why are you so distraught? Why are you willing to DB her like you did your xw?

Don't tell me you love her... I want you to dig deeper for these answers.. because I think there is some soul searching for you to do.

I see a pattern here between your xw and your xgf... do you?

She is not your xw so you do not have to PROVE to her that you are a different man or that you love her....

.... yet here you are.. trying to prove it to her exactly it

Why? Tell me why this relationship is THAT important to you. What are you afraid of?
Originally Posted By: MrBond
Let it go. Remember to let go of things that you can't control.

True, though I can control how I want my life to be. And sometimes (just sometimes), if we really want something, we need to take chances and take things into our own hands.
I hate to say it, but in my experience I was a better dater than a "marrier" (so far!), but maybe the chance to take is to back away and look around at other people to spend time with. Practice conversational skills, practice finding things to do that you are interested in. I hope that someday I am not in your situation, but like everyone here, I guess it is always a possibility. I can't imagine how hard it must be "being back out there." To be ready to be with someone, though, you have to also be ready to be alone.
Hi,

Just a bit of input here.

This was not a relationship. This was a little fling. Don't give it more importance than that.

You say it was not a rebound but guess again - it WAS a rebound for you. Your first Post D dating experience. And you really really really wanted it to work. But it didn't. For whatever reason. My thought is that you came on WAY too strong, WAY too fast.

But the good news is - you know you can have those loving feelings again (and I'm sure that's what it was not real love so soon). You will have it again - just don't give out your love so easily or so soon. It was not meant to be because it takes 2 people to want it and when one wants out - that's it - that's the end.

You can learn a lot from this experience. You will find someone else and I will bet you will be a bit more cautious. But that's good. Maybe she didn't want you because she knew she had you. People tend to want the things they have to work a bit harder for.

Now back off and stop messaging her. When one person says it's over and the other shows up at their work with origami cats - it is obsessive and could be considered stalking. Don't let that happen.

You may never know WHY. But it really doesn't change things to find out.
Barb
Hey Gineen,

We both said almost the same thing at the same time. But I said Really 3 times and you only said it twice. I win!

LOL - just being silly.

Sorry, Alamo - but you can see we all agree here

Barb
Which you already did and she still wants space. You're trying to tell her that she doesn't know what she wants. She made up her mind to leave and she can make up her mind to come back. No amount of pushing is going to get her to come back to you.
Yeah Alamo - and besides, don't you think you DESERVE a woman who would move heaven and earth to be with you?

She's not the right one for you - I know, it hurts to give up those delicious lovey dovey feelings, but this was an illusion. I wouldn't trust her now even if she DID come back.
Originally Posted By: SunFunOne
Hi,

Just a bit of input here.

This was not a relationship. This was a little fling. Don't give it more importance than that.

You say it was not a rebound but guess again - it WAS a rebound for you. Your first Post D dating experience. And you really really really wanted it to work. But it didn't. For whatever reason. My thought is that you came on WAY too strong, WAY too fast.

But the good news is - you know you can have those loving feelings again (and I'm sure that's what it was not real love so soon). You will have it again - just don't give out your love so easily or so soon. It was not meant to be because it takes 2 people to want it and when one wants out - that's it - that's the end.

You can learn a lot from this experience. You will find someone else and I will bet you will be a bit more cautious. But that's good. Maybe she didn't want you because she knew she had you. People tend to want the things they have to work a bit harder for.

Now back off and stop messaging her. When one person says it's over and the other shows up at their work with origami cats - it is obsessive and could be considered stalking. Don't let that happen.

You may never know WHY. But it really doesn't change things to find out.
Barb

I need to clarify that what I wrote about my feelings were/are in response to HER advances. Yes, we had instant chemistry, but I went into it cautious, especially what happened with my separation, child custody and all. From the beginning, I made it clear to her of:

A. My past
B. My priority is my son first. If we became more serious, she'd become more of a priority
C. Keeping my son out of the picture as best as possible and only introducing her to him as our church friend
D. To keep communication open
E. To keep God central to our relationship

It was my ex-gf who coined the term friend with potential, who told her family first about us (before I did), whose family asked about me frequently, who hoped I could meet her siblings and parents. After the first couple of weeks after we met, it was close friends who had to truly convince me that she really did like me. So no, I wasn't the crazy bloodhound, but I'd admit that when I did, we both took off. I would know the difference (I hope) because my ex-wife and I basically fell in love at first sight. So with S, I felt we responded to each other's attraction at a somewhat less frantic pace. Don't forget that we had to wait 3 months before we started dating, so we patiently waited and I had time to evaluate and gauge where we were. She told me she did too.

But, I think at some point after we started dating, she began to have cold feet. Like Bond mentioned, reality hit her. Ultimately, it's what she chose to do with that reality/fear that broke my heart deeply.

Even sadder is that we don't hate each other or have issues with each other. She chose to brood on an external fear or what I call an uncontrollable variable.

Because we're not married, I think there should be a lighter version of the DB/DR rules. I'm not saying that there aren't rules that are constant in all situations, but I also think that because there's relatively way less baggage/history between dating couples, there shouldn't be rules that are so absolute, i.e. no this no that. Instead of merely no talking, no gifts, no nothing, isn't there a balance that can be struck? Things can be healthy in controlled quantities and in moderation, right?

I'm not saying dropping off gifts or fireworks in her name or anything, but what about very occasional (once every two weeks/once a month) non-relationship texts? What about Xmas text?

Is wooing someone post-break up a lost art now?

On the somewhat plus side, I know that we didn't breakup because I screwed up due to a ghastly flaw of mine. We broke up because she was afraid of an unknown variable. Yes, I'm still improving myself and if she comes back, she'll get an even better Alamo.
I agree, let her go. She knows where to find you if she wants a relationship with you. Now is the time for you to work on you and discover all the amazing things about you!
Originally Posted By: Valeska19

And you have only known her for 4 months? Why are you so distraught? Why are you willing to DB her like you did your xw?

Don't tell me you love her... I want you to dig deeper for these answers.. because I think there is some soul searching for you to do.

I see a pattern here between your xw and your xgf... do you?

She is not your xw so you do not have to PROVE to her that you are a different man or that you love her....

.... yet here you are.. trying to prove it to her exactly it

Why? Tell me why this relationship is THAT important to you. What are you afraid of?

I'm not DB/DRing per se in this case, because we're dating and didn't split up with baggage, anger, resentment and the lot, if at all. I used DB/DR as an inspiritation to recover and regroup. But of course, I tend to think, feel and analyize beyond that! I came here to seek advice because even though it's not a divorce/separation, I know I have a family of sorts here.

Like I said before, I told her that I was falling for her (during the first break up), so if that qualifies as being in love, then yes. Needless to say, she was hitting all the right notes with me. I've known many girl friends (not girlfriends) that I clicked really well with and became close, but my ex-gf was all that and a whole other level as well. I really wasn't expecting her to show up in my life; she had been attending church for a month before I suddenly noticed her the Sunday RIGHT after I won custody of my son. When I did notice her and finally started to know her, so turned out to be more than I ever expected. She was not the "kind" of woman I had envisioned myself with, but when she popped into my life....Wow. I really thought God was telling me to take a chance and jump. So I did.

The only thing I see similar between my ex-wife and her is that I seem to find women that don't come back to church after the break up.
Sorry I wasn't clear.. I'll TRY to explain better.

I guess what I meant to say is that in some ways you are acting like you have been with ex-gf for 8 yrs like you have your w.. but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

It's not that you shouldn't DB her. I think you should. I think we should DB every relationship...

I think at first - the Newcomers see DBing as tactics... or perhaps bettering our chances at getting our spouses back.

When in reality - it's just how we should love people in general. It's about reaching across the table and understanding how another person feels and learning to respect their feelings.

And to look inwards to see how we contribute to those feelings and if there is anything we need to change.

We change what we can
Let go of what we can't
And do our best to know the difference.

You shouldn't send her a text because she doesn't want contact with you in the same way as before. If you say you love her, love her enough to respect her wishes for space.

And if she says that she doesn't want a relationship with you for WHATEVER reason, love her enough to say okay, and let her go.

Right now, YOU initiate contact so YOU can make sure that she knows how much YOU care about her. You think you are loving her by doing this but in fact, your motivated selfishly (see all the "You"s) by your own fear.

Because she already knows you care... and if she doesn't.. you keep showing her not by texts, but through patience, compassion, kindness.. (remember 1 Corinthians 13:4-7).

Alamo - That's all you can do. Do you best to love as Christ loves...

We are not God. We cannot control all situations nor are we supposed to.

If you love her well (and I don't mean pursue the crap out of her) she may not understand that. There are all kinds of love - and there are times when people just don't like the love we are giving.

And that's okay. Although it is important that people know you loved them.. it is not AS important that you love them no matter what...

... no matter if she sees it or not...
... no matter if she believes it to be true or not....
... no matter if she chooses to be with YOU or not...

I chose to love my xw everyday. I do this by not talking sh!t on her, not blaming her for my own faults, or still being kind in the very rare times we have communication....

..and by respecting the fact that she doesn't want contact with me.. and that it would be unloving to not let her try to figure it out on her own.

I do that KNOWING SHE IS NOT COMING BACK. And knowing that she does not see my struggles to take the high road and may never understand or appreciate my love for her.

I don't do it because she deserves or has earned it. I do because I am loved.. and therefore I should love.

See where I'm going here?

Because lets just say that she does believe you don't care because you didn't want to "Fight" for her.

If you respected her wishes for space or whatever, then it's on her!

You wanting to hold yourself responsible for her feelings and trying to make sure she doesn't get those feelings is a codependent behavior. It's called caretaking.

And that's what I was getting to when it comes to patterns. It wasn't about your ex-gf vs. xw... it was about you and how your actions are the same. Still fear motivated.

Fear of what? Only you can say.

But whilst there is fear in your heart, it is very difficult to love.

I hope I explained it a tad better. I'm sorry that you are hurting Alamo..

((( )))
Thank you for your response, valeska!

When in reality - it's just how we should love people in general. It's about reaching across the table and understanding how another person feels and learning to respect their feelings.

So when do we reach across the table, literally and metaphorically?

Because she already knows you care... and if she doesn't.. you keep showing her not by texts, but through patience, compassion, kindness.. (remember 1 Corinthians 13:4-7).

The love-related words in 1 Cor 13 were written as active verbs. It means we proactively practice those attributes, not just live by them internally. To wit...

Do you best to love as Christ loves...

Jesus didn't sit around practicing love. He demonstrated them too. Just like how I love my son - I'm proactively patient and bearing and kind and such with him. I don't watch him from afar, hoping that he'll pick up what my intentions are. Also, that homeless dude at the traffic light stop will never know that I love him if I don't actually get off my butt to do something about it. Christ held back sometimes, yet sometimes cross (uncomfortable/taboo/non-PC) boundaries to show what love should be like.

If you love her well (and I don't mean pursue the crap out of her) she may not understand that. There are all kinds of love - and there are times when people just don't like the love we are giving.

I'm not planning on giving out my heart so quickly if she came back. In the meantime, I'm trying to be friendly. When we met 4 months ago, we texted more than 1000 messages in 2 weeks and racked up more than 40 hours talk time within that same amount of time. So when I say I'm planning/hoping to text her once every week or two, it's quite a cutback from what she and I are used to. Please see my response to SunFunOne for more of this thought process.

Here

Because lets just say that she does believe you don't care because you didn't want to "Fight" for her.

If you respected her wishes for space or whatever, then it's on her!

You wanting to hold yourself responsible for her feelings and trying to make sure she doesn't get those feelings is a codependent behavior. It's called caretaking.

Or maybe, as a lot of people tell me, as an engineer, I tend to over-analyze things. Sometimes it's not very practical, sometimes it helps me see/consider multiple perspectives. Because honestly, there are 2 ways (at least) that my ex-gf can look at my going dark, correct? I'm trying to strike that balance and cover the bases. It's quite possible that the reason why DB/DR (in getting our spouses back) works for some and not others doesn't mean DB/DR doesn't work, it's our spouses. They are the variable and because we know them best, so perhaps we need to tweak the general rules to fit our respective situations.

Fear of what? Only you can say.

But whilst there is fear in your heart, it is very difficult to love.

It's interesting to brought this up, because I walked into this with a clear conscience and open heart. I think I trusted in her too much, that she wanted the same things I wanted. Yes, we felt the same emotionally about each other, but I may have been too unorthodox for her. By this I mean that my 2.5 years of changes and improvements had made me a man she wasn't used to seeing. She was used to how a "generic" man might respond, behave. Perhaps that's how I came on too strongly for her.

All said, it is my hope that she (or someone else) can appreciate me for who I am. Aside from her cold feet/fear of commitment, S was nigh perfect, more so than every woman I've ever known. Many times during the relationship I had to slap myself and wonder if it was true. And no I wasn't blinded by love. I was guarded, but many times I was floored by how well she understood me and me her. We literally balanced each other out, but yet there was never a dull moment. Sigh.
Alamo,

I really think you need to step back from all of it for a bit. You are very defensive of your relationship and the intensity of it and who texted who first, how many texts etc as you demonstrate to the rest of us how very important this woman was to you. We don't, for one minute, underestimate its importance and I don't think anyone means to devalue your feelings. But obviously this woman filled a deep need in you. And I get that. I think we all felt that after our spouses left. But I think you wanted it so badly and felt it so intensely that you gave her almost superpower in your mind. You made her out to be "perfect". Like God planted her there for you. The answer to your prayers. Which may have been too intense for her to deal with. No one wants to be put on a pedestal. And God probably DID put her there for you (there are no accidents). But HIS reason was different that what you believed it to be. Why she came into your life is something you will learn in time.

I had a similar situation about 2 years after my ex left. When I least expected it - the perfect man walked into my life. The things he said, the way he looked, the way he made me feel - totally led me to believe that it was meant to be. I fell head over heels for this guy. My heart told me that I loved him. It was PERFECT!!! My feelings were so intense that when he suddenly called it off - I was DEVESTATED! I think I hurt more and cried more in the first 2 days than I had when my husband left me. I think it is because I was using him to help me finish healing. And I could not believe that Mr Perfect could do this to me. I did not think I would recover at first and I was not interested in anyone else - who could compare???

But I got back on the horse (dating) soon after and within 2 months I met Mr Right. Not to be confused with Mr Perfect. Now, with Mr Right - I realized he was not perfect. Which is better because I'm not perfect either. But he was SO right for me. And it was only because I had been with Mr Perfect (who obviously was very flawed now that I look back on him) - that I could realize what a gift I had in Mr Right. Mr Right is kind and caring but also cautious and careful. He took time to get to know me before professing his love and I did the same with him. We built a relationship over time and I can honestly say that he is truly a good friend as well as my lover. I can also tell you that nearly 9 years later - we are still together.

Don't spoil the good memories of your girlfriend by becoming bitter and angry. Don't phone. Don't text. Don't dwell on it. Take time this weekend to do something - anything - but don't give her more energy than she deserves.

Trust me on this. This too shall pass. And when you have let go of your anger and sadness - the right person will find you very attractive and you can find Miss Right!

Good luck

Barb
Alamo,
I perceive your actions as pursuit. I perceive your intended actions as pursuit bordering on stalking.
In my opinion it doesn’t matter what these actions are in response to.
In my opinion what matters is how she perceives your actions and what drives them in you.

Stop, remove the emotion and dig deep inside yourself, carefully evaluate what is the root cause of your pursuit.

Answer to yourself:

Is it healthy?
Is it altruistic?
What are you expecting?

I seems to me she for whatever reason she wants space and I perceive some of your actions as smothering

Of course I know what opinions smell like. I apologize if the smell is offensive.
Before I respond to all y'all's posts, I want to let you know what I'm doing:

- I'm not going to drop anything off at her workplace
- I've kept away from communicating with her in any form since Monday
- I will keep my distance

That said, with Christmas upcoming, I was planning on making her a small gift and mailing it to her (or drop it off with her landlord). I'm not the shower-the-girl-with-expensive-and-tons-of-gifts kind of guy, at least post-breakup, though in this case, I think a "Merry Xmas" text would be too generic.
BAD BAD BAD ALAMO!

Full pursuing. You say she's not even going to your church any more. She wants to be left alone. Let the loneliness of the holidays get to her. Start living your life.

She ended it with you. Not the other way around.
I don't even know you and your obsession is kind of creeping me out. It is over. She doesn't want a relationship. She doesn't want to "stay in touch". Please stay away, no texting, phone calls or gifts. I don't think you want a restraining order but that is where you are heading if you keep it up.

kat
If I recall Alamo had an addiction. What you are doing here is very similar dude. Let it go
NO GIFT! Nothing. Nada. STOP!

You are not listening. You are trying to get a reaction from her but trust us all - you are not going to get the reaction you want.

I find it stalking behaviour. She will tell you to knock it off (if you're lucky) or she will press charges.

Barb
Originally Posted By: kat727
I don't even know you and your obsession is kind of creeping me out. It is over. She doesn't want a relationship. She doesn't want to "stay in touch". Please stay away, no texting, phone calls or gifts. I don't think you want a restraining order but that is where you are heading if you keep it up.

kat

Alamo,

You better think long and hard about what kat posted to you. If your XGF puts a restraining order on you, the accusations that your XW made about you during the custody battle become more valid. Are those the patterns that you want to be conveyed to the judge?

Don't doubt for a second that your XW wouldn't come storming back trying to get your son out to SC with her.
Whoa, whoa...okay, I've opened a can of worms here. This is an open forum, isn't it? That's why I'm here throwing out my ideas and options. If I were actually self-absorbed, I would have gone ahead with my "plans" on my own, and NOT have come here, or seek advice from friends/family (I currently still am).

Well, since I got y'all's attention, maybe you can help answer this:

- How would your ex know that you're still available in the future, if they chose to do so? We assume that they will if they're ready and/or want to, but are we forgetting that there's such a thing as shame or embarrassment? Not everyone in the world has gone through DB/DR, so it's quite possible and natural for your ex (when they've come to their senses) chooses NOT to contact you because they're ashamed of initiating contact with you in the first place. So both of you go on with life, and let a golden opportunity slip you by, no thanks to a simple ego flaw!

- Why are we saying that the standard reaction from the ex would be to pull away if we even try to do SOMETHING? Do psychological/behavioral studies support this unanimously? That's why I brought up in one of my previous posts asking if there's also a difference in reaction between married couples, dating couples, long-term or short-term. And yes, I believe it does matter, which brings me to my next question...

- Are you advising me (or anyone else) no contact, no nothing, because it's just easier to say no? Is this fear-based reasoning? I mean, we are told "Don't drink and drive." The underlying message is if you drink and drive and get in an accident you'll die or kill others. But yet, in certain circumstances it's okay to do so, e.g. drinking a tiny sip of wine, or depending on our alcohol tolerance (that's why we only get in trouble if we fail the breathalyzer test, which also has a certain limit), etc. "No" is to keep us safe, to keep us out of trouble. It's used because it's assumed that we're immature and irresponsible.
I know of two couples that divorced and remarried. No they had nothing to do with DB. One couple, the gal's grandmother died and her ex heard about it, called and helped her work through her grief. He was very supportive without ulterior motives. They discovered, they both still had feelings for each other, they both worked on their issues and remarried a couple of years later.

The other couple, I was a kid when this all happened so don't know all the details except that he divorced his wife because he was having an affair. Figured out that he really loved his wife. He made amends, they remarried, had a baby and have been together for the second time for over 38 years.

2 is such a low number. I certainly wouldn't pin my hopes on reconsiliation. In my case ex married his affair partner. We get along fairly well but I imagine part of that is that I do not have a guy in my life that he needs to deal with. I would say don't go looking for it but if the situation arises it might well be up to the person who left, to start rebuilding things. Actions speak volumes.

kat
"Are you advising me (or anyone else) no contact, no nothing, because it's just easier to say no? "

Ummm no. It's because that's what the other person like the XGF wanted. You can't "force" yourself onto another person and the more you push trying to be around her, it becomes creepy.
Originally Posted By: alamo76
Whoa, whoa...okay, I've opened a can of worms here. This is an open forum, isn't it? That's why I'm here throwing out my ideas and options. If I were actually self-absorbed, I would have gone ahead with my "plans" on my own, and NOT have come here, or seek advice from friends/family (I currently still am).

I don't think you opened a can of worms. I don't think anyone of us called you self absorbed.. where did you get this from?

Do you feel like we are attacking you? I'm asking sincerely.

- How would your ex know that you're still available in the future, if they chose to do so? We assume that they will if they're ready and/or want to, but are we forgetting that there's such a thing as shame or embarrassment? Not everyone in the world has gone through DB/DR, so it's quite possible and natural for your ex (when they've come to their senses) chooses NOT to contact you because they're ashamed of initiating contact with you in the first place. So both of you go on with life, and let a golden opportunity slip you by, no thanks to a simple ego flaw!

I dont forget there is shame and embarrassment... but I also feel it is their responsibilities to overcome their issues....

... not that you can't assist in that.. but if you have never closed the door - and they still don't come in... well that's all you can really do right?

Can't you see how much you are trying to control the outcome? How you think if you do x, she will do y?

I get being analytical.. I am too.. but becareful when it comes to using it as an excuse.

Look up caretaking vs. caregiving. You might have your mind blown.

- Why are we saying that the standard reaction from the ex would be to pull away if we even try to do SOMETHING? Do psychological/behavioral studies support this unanimously? That's why I brought up in one of my previous posts asking if there's also a difference in reaction between married couples, dating couples, long-term or short-term. And yes, I believe it does matter, which brings me to my next question...

I dont think it does. I've recently had my best friend tell me that he has started to develop feelings from me. We've been friends for 2 yrs.

I don't feel the same.. so because of this new info I know perceive everything different. Every time he txts, i think it's pursuit. I have no idea if it's actually true.. but I instantly want to put distance between us.

I find it unattractive, I find it needy.

I fight this because it was not so long ago that I was on the other side... so I know that its my perception and mind-reading of the interactions....

... and that for all I know he could still just being friendly.

But I do believe that interactions that make us uncomfortably, we tend to run away from vs. deal with.

- Are you advising me (or anyone else) no contact, no nothing, because it's just easier to say no? Is this fear-based reasoning? I mean, we are told "Don't drink and drive." The underlying message is if you drink and drive and get in an accident you'll die or kill others. But yet, in certain circumstances it's okay to do so, e.g. drinking a tiny sip of wine, or depending on our alcohol tolerance (that's why we only get in trouble if we fail the breathalyzer test, which also has a certain limit), etc. "No" is to keep us safe, to keep us out of trouble. It's used because it's assumed that we're immature and irresponsible.

I agree with Mr. Bond's answer...

except what do you mean "easier" to say no..

I don't think letting someone go lovingly is easy at all. Staying focused on our own needs is easier... and that's NOT calling you self-absorbed.

I don't believe NC has to be forever (although in some cases it happens). It's meant to give space, allow emotions to settle, heal.. etc.

But you know all this right??
Alamo -
First of all - let's clarify about DBing. Hardcore DBing is for saving a marriage where you have a big investment in time, commitment, and possibly children.

Most of it is NOT applicable to dating. Dating is a period of time to FIND OUT if you are compatible with the other person. It is NOT a time to scheme, plot, strategize your way INTO a relationship. At this point in your life, you should want nothing to do with any woman who doesn't think you're just the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Quote:
When we met 4 months ago, we texted more than 1000 messages in 2 weeks and racked up more than 40 hours talk time within that same amount of time.

Ok Alamo - this right here is a problem. You're a grownup, right? A HEALTHY grownup doesn't act this way when getting into a relationship. This is unhealthy, love addict, infatuation behavior.

Look - I have a guy writing to me right now. He's funny and smart and I find him interesting. We will probably get along great when we meet. We are having a nice active flirtation, and text a few times a day, and have spoken on the phone a couple of times. But I'd guess we're at about TEN PERCENT of what you describe.

If some guy started texting me hundreds of times I'd run for the hills. Because in those early stages, you don't REALLY know each other. You have a FANTASY of who the other person is, but you don't really know them yet. And that kind of obsessive behavior just confirms that what's happening is fantasy, not reality-based.

Now, if it was really all that great, AND if she's not the mess I suspect she is, she'll come back. You DON'T need to do any more pursuing - she already KNOWS how you feel. And trust me, you don't want to seduce her back - you want her to come back because she can't live without you.
When you broke up the first time, you backed all the way off, and she came back.

Why would you now do something different, trying to reach out to her?
I was dating a guy and I told him I needed space. He did NOT give me space.

it did not help me see what an amazing guy I was leaving behind

it made me run faster and farther

it creeped me out

it made me wish he would get therapy

it made me laugh at his expense with my girlfriends behind his back at how pathetic he was looking (horrible...I know)

it made me have to be mean to get him to leave me alone

he didn't really LOVE ME...he loved the idea of me. That wasn't who I was or who I could be and the whole idea of it creeped me out and p*ssed me off

I wanted someone who loved ME

love means listening to someone else even when you don't want to
or
when you disagree

if you respect this woman at all

LISTEN TO HER

leave her the funk alone until she searches you out...if she ever does
You need to give a gift to yourself and stay away from her! I know what this feels like, I've been right there where you are but, remember...

People come into our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime.

Sounds like she's a "reason" and you need to step back and figure some things out.
© DivorceBusting.com