Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: koshka I love autumn! - 09/04/06 02:36 AM
My previous thread, "Heading into a wonderful summer!" was treacherously close to locking up, and summer's drawing to a close anyway, so here's my newest.

Besides having the net knocked out (which took out my phone service, too!), the party planning for S6's birthday bash is underway. I'll try to get back here on Monday with the promised replies, but in case I don't (but I will say I need to look at pricing on flights to Alaska!), there's wine chilled downstairs, cold beer in the frig, and here's the key to the liquor cabinet. Help yourselves!

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: The_Colorado_Bulldog Re: I love autumn! - 09/04/06 03:17 AM
3 fingers of Glennfiddich, please!
Posted By: Glenda_aka_kc Re: I love autumn! - 09/04/06 07:02 AM
I'll second the Glenfiddish and just "be good at it."
Posted By: Dmsw4 Re: I love autumn! - 09/04/06 05:46 PM
Bud in a frosty mug for me! Obviously, I am not as sophisticated as others around here, but, hey...I like an icy cold beer on a beautiful September day.
Posted By: Aprilsm4 Re: I love autumn! - 09/04/06 07:51 PM
I just want to add that I also love autumn
Posted By: qoe100 Re: I love autumn! - 09/07/06 01:44 PM
I love Paris in the springtime......

Wine for me, please.
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/07/06 06:56 PM
The thread had languished for days, wandering unguided and creeping ever closer to the twilight dwelling of the Lock Monster.

So I started this one. It doesn't seem unguided at all anymore over there, thanks to the careful minstrations of GBK Thread Maintenance, Inc. Maybe the floors are a little scuffed, and the beer's running low, but hey, that's why we get these nice shiny new threads (or sparkly new threads, as in Wonder's case).

Gabe,
Quote:

You may be able to file violations of the custody agreement in your family court.

I'll have to ask the lawyer about that. It'd certainly be easier, so I hope it's available to me. Right now I need to get paid so I can pay the L for the QDRO processing. The joys of being an independent contractor!

Betsey,
Quote:

I'm sorry to hear about all the antics XW is pulling. You're doing a great job not taking her bait, so keep at

I'm still basking in the glow of my realization about how I can refuse to join the "relationship of conflict." I presume that XW will be at D11's school's open house Thursday, so we'll see if I can do better than the small backslide at S6's school's open house last week.
Quote:

Hope you're having a great week and that the wine was what the doctor ordered.

The week was great, and the wine was tasty! But I'm gettin' a hankerin' for some beer, something flavorful like, say, Guinness. Mmmm. Guinness is good! (Where's the "licking my lips" smiley when I need it?)

Glenda,
Quote:

By the 8th, you are back at the Irish Music Jam

That sounds right up my alley, and it would fit with my work schedule and the impending deadline on my voucher. I need to go look at ticket prices once we get S6's b-day celebration out of the way.

I could use a T-shirt from there to win free Guinness in the "how far have you traveled for Irish music?" competitions.

Kev and Glenda
Quote:

3 fingers of Glennfiddich, please!

I'll second the Glenfiddish and just "be good at it.":D

Help yourselves!

Barb,
Quote:

hey...I like an icy cold beer on a beautiful September day.

Yeah, this is the time for celebrating the harvest, isn't it? I need to go get some Pete's Oktoberfest before it's all gone. And some Guinness.

Now if my check would just show up!

April,
Quote:

I just want to add that I also love autumn

It's great, isn't it? The weather has been fantastic for about a week now, except for too much rain, but the temps have been perfect, IMHO. There's a tree across from my street's intersection with the "main road" that has started turning yellow, and it has me thinking about what the mountains back in PA will look like this year. After so many years of droughts or storms that killed "the show," I'm really looking forward to a brilliant display. I love color!

Q,
Quote:

I love Paris in the springtime......

Which Paris is that? Did you ever see the episode of Night Court where John Larroquette's character's parents come to NYC? They're from Paris. Paris, Louisiana.

What passes for an update these days:

OK, gang, sorry for the delay getting back here. Ya know how hard it is to find Godzilla party decorations these days? Fortunately, the original Gojira came out on DVD this week, so I have a cool present for S6. Since he saw it already, I can pop it into a PC and get some frames to print as decorations, or at least to prepare the goody bags. Now I just need the time to do that, as well as do some more cleaning, get kids to the C, etc.

Tonight will be a challenge. D11's at her volleyball clinic this afternoon. The clinics started almost two weeks ago. I asked about them in the office when I was picking her up for the C appt today. They told me that there had been announcements about the clinics, three times a day, before they started. D12 never mentioned it, so she's missed the first 6 or 7 clinic sessions by now. She told me that they said it was for kids who had completed the paperwork, and she figured she hadn't. Yeesh! I had all the paperwork for all the kids finished back in August. Oh, well, we'll see how it goes today.

But this evening is the open house at her school. She borrowed my phone to call XW while S6 was seeing the C this afternoon, so I suppose XW will be there, too. She was very unpleasant at S6's open house last week. She sat at S6's desk and took the parent packet, then demanded that I return "her papers" when I read it after the teacher's presentation. D12 will be there tonight, and who knows what XW will pull.

Breathe. In, out, in, out. OK, I'm feeling much better now. Seriously, I just need to remember why I'm there and all the blessings in my life that she can't touch.

I don't have any idea how many people will show for S6's party on Saturday. So far I've only heard from one classmate (we invited the entire class) and two friends from other classes/last year's school.

Work is extremely busy, and getting busier up until late October. My check did not arrive again today, and my client said it was supposed to go out Sept. 1. He's going to check with the bank. Meanwhile, I have bills to pay and I don't want to dip into my meager savings, but it looks like I'll have to go there.

The weather is gorgeous, and forecast to continue mostly gorgeous right through S6's party. There was some fog and a hint of autumn in the taste of the air this morning. I loved it.

Anyway, that's about it, disjointed as it is.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: Underdog Re: I love autumn! - 09/07/06 07:27 PM
Joe,

I have complete confidence in the choices you will make tonight. It's a wonderful thing that you realize you don't need to play into the role she's cast for you.

Breathe in and out... (And BTW, I like the part of you realizing she can't steal your blessings. Right on.)

Quote:

The clinics started almost two weeks ago. I asked about them in the office when I was picking her up for the C appt today. They told me that there had been announcements about the clinics, three times a day, before they started. D12 never mentioned it, so she's missed the first 6 or 7 clinic sessions by now.

Well, for different reasons, last year D12 missed the first half of the clinic sessions too. They continue to build on skills they need or need to learn and typically they continue at an individual pace. D12 got a lot out of them, even if she didn't attend all of them. So I think your D11 will be fine.

Whatever she takes away from them when they're done is going to help her during tryouts. It will give her an edge over girls that didn't attend any sessions or didn't work hard... and from what you've told me, v-ball is as much a passion for your D11 as it was and is for my D12. I truly doubt she's going to show up for tryouts and not give things her absolute best.

And now that I'm in the know, I'll share a few things about tryouts with you. The coaches do like seeing obvious skills. But what they really want from the younger girls is to see them try (and I mean TRY) to execute and to not get flustered when they ask them to make changes. So equally important (if not more so), they're looking for girls who can be team players, take criticism for constructive reasons and not personally (unless it IS personal) and to put 110% into the entire tryout session. It tells them that they've got a kiddo who can learn, be motivated and work hard for good results. They pick up skills as they go.

My D12 has a nice serve. Not an awesome one (which we all love floaters in our house and she hasn't been able to perfect that) but a good, hard and direct hit over the net. They nicknamed her "The Arm" at her middle school last year.

She's working on her jump serve in clinics and her fall league practice now. She's not consistently getting the ball over the net yet (I'd say about 1 in 8), but the serves are powerful and straight and she slams them into the net. Both her fall league and clinic instructors told me her form is excellent--that once she figures out where she needs to hit the ball and consistently nails it there, that ball is going to sail over and she's going to be a good jump server.

When I first saw her try it, I winced. But she didn't react to the outcome, picked up the ball and tried it again, with the same results. Inwardly I was wondering why she felt she was ready to jump, but I kept my opinion to myself. After she did about 25 of them (with similar results), instead of getting frustrated, I realized that learning to jump serve was a goal she set for herself. It wasn't a wish ("I wish I could do this without failing"), but a legitimate goal. And she's kept at it ever since.

There was a lesson there for me. I tend to give up after a few failures--even if it's a goal. I figure out if there's another way to get the outcome I want. That's not necessarily good. What IS good is that you keep trying and perfecting a move that continues to improve. Damn, I wish I were 12 again! (Not really. The thought makes my stomach lurch.)

Okay, back to you. I know you'll do fine tonight. At the very least, you can always ask yourself if your desired reaction is what you used to do... that will keep you flustered all night and prevent you from doing anything rash.

I'll make sure Kevin has a Guinness for you on Saturday. I'm sticking with the Glenfiddich.

Bets
Posted By: VJ39 Re: I love autumn! - 09/08/06 01:29 AM
Hi Joe...Just popping in to say I hope tonight went well. I'm finding out that somehow these X's seem to try to get us to lash out...but it's always better to try and not let them get to us. You do great work with that!

Oh yeah....

GO STEELERS!!!

Have a great night,
VJ
Posted By: Dmsw4 Re: I love autumn! - 09/08/06 10:44 AM
The thread had languished for days, wandering unguided and creeping ever closer to the twilight dwelling of the Lock Monster

Oh, but it had a very classy ending....
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/11/06 12:41 AM
Friend Betsey,
Quote:

I have complete confidence in the choices you will make tonight. It's a wonderful thing that you realize you don't need to play into the role she's cast for you.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It went so-so, as we never said a word to one another, and XW didn't stay for the whole thing.
Quote:

Whatever she takes away from them when they're done is going to help her during tryouts.

These clinics are the tryouts. She has this week left to make a good impression. There will be 12 girls on the team, from thirty trying out. Some of them are returning from last year's team.

D11's biggest advantage is her desire to do the best for the team. She learned a little about that in drama camp this year, when she was cast as one of the Munchkins after asking for Dorothy.

The coach went to great lengths to explain to me that nothing is decided yet, but I do see that the odds are stacked against her on this one. On the other hand, I took her to an audition for a musical on Friday, and I don't think her schedule will allow for both. So we'll see what happens.
Quote:

But what they really want from the younger girls is to see them try (and I mean TRY) to execute and to not get flustered when they ask them to make changes. So equally important (if not more so), they're looking for girls who can be team players, take criticism for constructive reasons and not personally (unless it IS personal) and to put 110% into the entire tryout session

I passed that on to her, and told her about D12's success last year so that maybe she'll take it to heart, instead of blowing it off as "Dad talking."
Quote:

I'll make sure Kevin has a Guinness for you on Saturday. I'm sticking with the Glenfiddich.

Drat! I just got off the phone with him and I forgot to ask if he did. I guess I'll have to enjoy an Oktoberfest here myself instead of living viacariously through Kev's Guinness!

VJ,
Quote:

I'm finding out that somehow these X's seem to try to get us to lash out...but it's always better to try and not let them get to us. You do great work with that!

Thanks! I struggle to try to stay detached from her crap. I wish it were easier, but I suppose there are things I need to learn from this.

Congrats on your Steelers' win last week. I'm hoping to see the Vikes beat the NFL's Washington, DC franchise tomorrow. That way I'll get to hear something about the Vikes in the local media. This is very much not a sports town, as the rest of the league doesn't exist in the local coverage, so a victory on Monday would make the local sports coverage worth paying some attention.

Barb,
Quote:

Oh, but it had a very classy ending....

I believe that was my first thread to lock. I've always tried to bail out somewhere in the nineties. Yes, it was a good thread that served me well, and thank you for keeping Gabe honest. You're more than welcome to the beer!

So, for any and all still with me, it's update time:

D11 and I went to the school for the open house. She saw XW walk past the door while we were in the cafeteria, and she wanted to go get her. I said we should stay where we were and save her a seat. XW didn't come back, though, and the "simulated school day" started, so D11 took me to her home room.

Eventually XW showed up there and sat on the other side of D11 from me, one seat ahead of her. She didn't say anything or even look toward me. I gave my seat (next to D11) to another Mom who showed up after we had started. XW asked D11 to write out the day's schedule on a floor plan of the school. When the bell rang, D11 was out the door like a shot!

I had trouble keeping up with her, and told her when I caught up that I needed her to slow down, since I didn't have the map she had made for XW. At each change of class, D11 was outta there like a bat out of, well, you know. XW trailed behind us, sometimes not even coming into the classroom, but standing in the doorway.

D11's science class was our next to last stop. Her science teacher is a Mets and Vikings fan who attended the same college that my sister did. XW was standing in the doorway there, but she was gone by the time that session was over. She didn't go to the last "class" at all.

Friday evening I canceled my C appointment (which a week earlier I had rescheduled into my custodial week when the storm that took my cable/phone/internet had messed with the power at C's office) so I could take D11 to an audition for a Christmas musical, "The Littlest Angel." I had no idea that it would consume most of the evening.

The parents weren't allowed to watch the kids reading for the parts, so most of them left. I didn't want to make the trip back home to turn around and go back so soon, and there wouldn't be enough time to do any party-prep shopping. I had a book in the car (Nouwen's "Reaching Out"), so I just read while I waited.

They let us in to see the singing. D11 did not do a solo, and I'm afraid that didn't help her chances for the kinds of parts that she wants. I asked her afterwards why she hadn't done a solo. They were asking kids to sing "Amazing Grace," which D11 sings beautifully at home. She said she had been too nervous.

On the other hand, she does have more acting experience than a lot of the kids who were there, so that probably helped in her reading. I'm pretty sure that the woman running the show would have been able to hear D11 as she moved from singer to singer when she was checking out the group singing. We should hear tomorrow.

Friday night I did not sleep well. At first I thought I was just worried about pulling off the party. But when I did finally get to sleep, I dreamed that XW was divorcing me, and trying to be as cruel and callous as she could about it. I'm not entirely sure I was unaware it was a dream. At any rate, I woke up with a lot of bitterness toward her front and center. This birthday party for S6 was the first big "family event" here since the D. S14's party was here, but that was at the very last minute, when he came back home and told me less than a week before. (He had planned to have it at XW's with the big screen tv, but couldn't for some reason. I haven't pestered him as to why not.) D11's birthday was the last day of her camp, and I had told the camp instructors about it, so they had a surprise party for her. I showed up for that to see her, because it was XW's custodial week, and I would not have seen her (D11) otherwise.

But this was planned in advance and executed by me and the kids. S6 never asked if XW would be there, so I did not invite her. Last year, during the S, while XW kept S6 away from me, we invited her to take D11 and her friends to the movies as part of D11's celebration. She initially agreed, then backed out. In October I held the traditional Halloween party, inviting all the classmates of all three kids, and XW. She agreed, and even said what she'd bring. (For a party that size, I ask parents to send/bring a food item to share.) Then she called a couple hours before the party and told S14 that she wouldn't attend. So as long as S6 didn't say anything, I didn't want to set him (or his sibs) up for another disappointment.

I prayed hard Saturday morning. I really didn't want to feel so bitter. I didn't want the day or the party to be about what XW had done to our family. I didn't want it to be about me and my "growth." I wanted it to be about a six year old boy who's turning seven and celebrating that fact with some of his friends.

The day was beautiful. S14 and D11 helped get the place in shape. S14 left to go to a party at his old school where they distributed the year books, but he worked hard before he did. S6 and his friends had a wonderful time. One of his classmates turned out to be a younger sister of one of S14's old classmates back at that same school where S14's party was. All the parents were great, helping me get kids organized, taking a list of who gave what, and so on.

The party wound down and several parents (and S14's former classmate!) expressed interest in this year's Halloween party. My kids went to the trampoline, and I packed my car full of trash and recycling to take to the recycling station. As I drove there, some sprinkles struck my windshield, and as I drove back home, it began to rain. I thought about how sunny and warm it had been at the party, yet comfortable for the parents in the shade. I thought about how blessed I am to be able to offer my kids a party. I felt a whole lot better than I had in the morning.

We went to a restaurant later that evening. On the way to the eatery I thanked the kids for all the work they had done this week preparing for the party. During dinner the kids were joking and laughing with one another. I am so glad that they are together. If nothing else, the custody hearing last year accomplished that much, thank God.

Today, S14 comes to me at a little after five and asks if I can get all his shirts clean and dry before he goes with XW for the week. "Huh? In less than an hour? With something else in the washer right now?" I told him I'd have them ready for him to pick up after school tomorrow (he has a key and his bus drops him off here), but he said he had nothing to wear. I offered him a shirt ("Party like it's 1999" with the guy from "King of the Hill" on his riding tractor) and he got upset. He got even more upset when I started washing his shirts anyway.

Here's where I messed up. I told him I don't want to hear from "that woman" about how I sent him to her with dirty laundry, and that I'm tired of hearing from him "about how perfect she is" so I don't need to hear it from her. He calmed down a bit before she got here, but he was out walking around the yard with her while the younger two were finishing their desserts.

That reminds me. <vent>I really don't like her arriving early and taking herself for a stroll around my property.</vent>

Later, in a conversation with Kevin, we agreed that Betsey's a great person. Oh, but wait, while true, that's not related to my story about my "process" in coming to terms with the end of my M and my dreams for my nuclear family. No, we agreed that some women simply can't respect any man who would love someone like them. I thought of Classy Alanah's reading where I offered that respect really is a key for men, or at least for this man.

One last interesting note. D11's school has a dance this Friday. It'll be her first dance. We had a discussion about boys during one of her nightly chats this week, and she told me that she asked her mother for advice about "getting" a boyfriend. (I was good. I bit my tongue, but I was good.) She asked XW "because she reads a lot of books about that." Seems to me all she ever had to do was try a little marital fidelity and she wouldn't have to "read a lot of books about that." But that's just me. And here you probably thought I was over the bitterness.

In time, with more prayer.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: Glenda_aka_kc Re: I love autumn! - 09/11/06 02:48 AM
Joe, How perfect for S7's party! It amazes me that you handle this stuff so well. I don't know that I would, which I guess is one good thing about the kids being grown. I do not believe I could portray the grace and poise you do.

Of course, some of that stems from me. I've been dreaming about XH a lot in the last week. August 30 would have been our 26th wedding anniversary but instead was our 1st un-anniversary. I still miss my family...I can discern that much from the dreams...and that family includes XH. I thought I would be bitter. Amazingly enough, I am angry but not bitter. At least at this point in time, if an opportunity arose in which XH offered a forward looking family relationship I would work toward that. I don't think he will...as I have said before that would require a major change in his thinking....he is never wrong and does not make errors in analyzing his life.

I suppose part of it has to do with aloneness. I miss having his company, etc., but I do not see me trusting someone else enough to involve a relationship. I've also lived enough and seen enough of step-parents that it doesn't seem a course I want to travel. So, I'm working on learning to love my aloneness and considering whether or not I will follow through with a blind date at the end of the month. A friend of mine has a life-long guy friend who is divorced and he thinks I need to meet him. My friend also says, don't think of it as a blind date...you are just going to the football game with W and I and I know B will be there. I will probably go just because I need to spend some time talking to people I do not work with and/or people rather than my dogs. And, I guess it couldn't hurt to meet the guy. He's a judge and who knows when a judge friend might come in handy in my life.

Anyway, enough digressing here. Let me know if you really are coming up. I don't know if I will have enough of these projects done to actually have a space here for someone to stay. I'm totally moving at a snail's pace, or I feel like it. But I would see about some time off and definitely go to the Irish music with ya, if you wanted any company. Hard to say if there will be enough snow for riding by then or not.

Keep smiling...it makes people wonder what you are up to -- or at least that is my theory.

Glenda
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/11/06 09:31 AM
Glenda,
Quote:

Joe, How perfect for S7's party! It amazes me that you handle this stuff so well.

Thanks! It doesn't feel like I'm doing it well, especially when I read about some of the successes others are having. But I suppose my turn will come as I get stronger.

I was thinking more about the bitterness, how it really didn't destroy the party and how it did come out in front of S14 over his laundry. All the praying on Saturday helped me act in a way aligned with my beliefs, i.e., in the way I should, but it didn't change what I feel. Sometimes I feel bitter and angry and sad and more. The key, and this is where it gets so tricky, where prayer becomes so important for me, is how I let my feelings out in my actions. Keeping them inside won't work. Letting them run willy-nilly over my Rs (like with S14) won't work. I'm still working on what will work, and prayer helps with that.

I looked at the prices online, and I need to check with the airlines if I can travel on the "must complete travel by date." The kids are with me till the evening of Nov 6, and my "complete travel by date" is Nov 10. That would be a tough schedule for my "vacation."

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: MicheleTW Re: I love autumn! - 09/11/06 11:56 AM
Joe, those joint appearances with an X can be vexing... With school starting, it seems like there are more and more opportunities. I had a weird thing on Friday morning. I was playing in a golf tournament on Saturday so I decided to go practice after dropping D10 at school (her school is just a few miles from the golf course). As I walked into the facility, who's parking but XH? (he who said he's not playing much golf seemed to play 3 work days last week, but that's another story).

So, I took a deep breath and asked myself, "Who do I want to be?" Took another deep breath and called, "XH! I just sent you an email about D10's schedule!" And we walked into the club together. He was very nervous and hung about a step and a half behind me. We talked schedule, which, as you know, has been an issue between us. But I kept it upbeat, light and yet managed to express my concerns about what he proposed by email (another story).

My point is that it was an OK interchange. I walked right up to that fear, fully and authentically the person I want to be -- and it worked.

I don't like him. I don't respect him. But I can walk with him.

And that feels good. For me. I don't really give a hoot how it is for him.

The party sounds great. Just FYI, I had a similar scene with S13 over his shirts this morning. Fortunately, there was a suitable one in the dryer -- just slightly wrinkled.
What is it about these boys and their wardrobe???

Your pal,
Michele
Posted By: Dmsw4 Re: I love autumn! - 09/11/06 01:24 PM
Joe, I know this is something I do to myself...I'm thinking about the laundry situation...I judge myself more harshly than those around me do.

When I pack the kids for their time with their dad, I try to think about what H will think of this outfit or will H think I packed too much or not enough or whatever. But I am always harder on myself than I need to be. I know that your XW may not have been happy that the clothes came back dirty, and your son may not have had the shirt he wanted, but I know that I could have a weeks worth of dirty laundry here (and I usually do) but I could still put together SOME sort of outfit for the girls.

If XW is not happy...so what? I realized a few months ago that I don't have to please H any more. He's already gone, why should I care what he thinks anymore? I know you want your son to appreciate you, I know you want him to think you've got it all together, but heck, at 14 (?) maybe he can start being in charge of his own laundry. Next time he gives you an hour notice, show him how to hand wash his favorite shirt, squeeze out the excess moisture in a towel (I like to wrap it in a towel and stomp on it on the floor) then pop it in the dryer. Wash the rest and tell him to throw them in the dryer when he gets home.

I let the martyr in me out every once in a while, and she's not pretty...
Posted By: The_Colorado_Bulldog Re: I love autumn! - 09/11/06 02:07 PM
Joe,

I did in fact have an Irish beer in your honor. However, I opted for a Smithwick's Irish Red Ale, pronounced Smethicks or Smiddicks depending on the local dialect, instead of the aforementioned Guiness. Smithwick's is brewed in Ireland by Guiness Brewery, however.

I also shared a wee bit of highland nectar with a bonny Scottish lass who is warmly regarded in these parts.

I can empathize with your feelings of bitterness and anger. I still have them as well. Just remember you're human and that you will replace the feelings with agape if you continue to ask Him to lift you up. I think that peace comes and goes, it does for me anyway. The answers will present themselves in time. I think that it's important to remember that Newcomer watchword even now: Patience. The relevance is on the self. Hasn't it always been, though?

Hang in there.
Posted By: Underdog Re: I love autumn! - 09/11/06 03:04 PM
Aw, shucks, it's nice to feel loved and appreciated. It's even more true when Celtic blood runs through the blood in both of you wonderful men. Yes, we had a great time (despite the rain). Next year, Joe?

Quote:

But that's just me. And here you probably thought I was over the bitterness.

Okay, friend, see my hand? I'm pulling you back on the wagon. And for your pep talk, I'm here to tell you that it's a process and occasionally I fall off too. I just haven't posted much about those episodes--I seem to have people close by when I do fall off, and it is comforting knowing that they care enough to pull me back out of the muck and into the light.

Consider this weekend as one of those episodes. I'd love to tell you that I'm no longer bitter at all, Joe, but it would be a lie. (At the very least, a gross exaggeration.)

Rather than devote time to correcting how you feel (because I know you're already trying to get back to your center), I'd rather ask you to sort through things. Pay attention to what's going on inside you. Write this stuff down. In your case, the dream triggered more conscious thinking. But what has been happening during your waking hours? Are you feeling fearful about anything? Overworked? Not enough time devoted to self care? Stress in your R with S14 seem particularly heavy right now?

I'm pretty sure you can answer yes to all of them, but the point of this exercise is not to elicit a "yes" answer from you, but to help you navigate your next episode--in addition to doing a post mortem on this one.

I've discovered through trial and error that my bitterness comes out full force when I'm doing a lousy job of self care and I expect those around me to do something about my hectic schedule and lack of willingness to prioritize me. My D12 tells me that she can see this easily, so I've asked her for help when she sees me enter this spiral. (She's got my back. )

When the conditions get ripe, I have a meltdown and yes, I attribute all that ails me to the fact that I'm a single mom without a man around the house. And then I start enumerating all the ways which Mr. W. contributed to how I feel today. The most unfortunate part of this falling-off-the-wagon experience is that other people tend to be the recipients of my anxiety. So I'm truly trying to build myself some road maps so I can navigate more easily and hopefully prevent falling off again.

If not, I follow Michele's adage and tell myself that I WILL recover and I'll get centered more quickly when I do. I'm human and this stuff happens.

The important thing here is that you try. After all our talks, I doubt you'd want her back now even if she agreed to be faithful. That's your truth now, Joe. Remember that you're paving the way to a more truthful and authentic R with yourself and your kids. Some day, a woman is going to come along who appreciates your willingness to learn from your experiences.

Trust. Believe. Have faith. And don't forget to breathe before you sip that Guinness.

Slainte'! And hugs to you both today.

Betsey
Posted By: IAChild Re: I love autumn! - 09/12/06 01:53 AM
I'll have a Grant's Perfect Porter , please, as long as we are all being beer snobs!

Joe, as someone who has been away for a bit, I have to take note of how much growth you've continued to exhibit. You still have every right to feel anger and hurt, so naturally there are going to be times when this comes through. With respect to S14, have you considered having an honest conversation with him? Something like this:

Quote:

S14, I am really sorry, partner. I know what I said to you about your laundry was way out of line ad it hurt you. Sometimes I just still feel angry and hurt about the divorce and what it's done to our family. But I am still your dad (or daddy?), and I love you very much. I promise I will try much harder in the future not to let my hurt spill out on you. Make you a deal -- I won't snap at you if you give me more of a head's up on your laundry. Better yet, I'll teach you how to do your laundry yourself! It's really not that hard...

Anyway, my .02, fwiw. I still think you're SuperDad, so keep up the great work!

Martha
Posted By: Glenda_aka_kc Re: I love autumn! - 09/12/06 02:29 AM
ROTFLMAO! I am visualizing the stomping on the wet shirt rolled in the towel. Now that would be something I would do....I might not even wrap it in a towel.

But, I am guilty as ever of washing clothes for the kids at the last minute. I did, however, turn over the laundry to each kid by the time they hit high school. They were too picky about everything ... especially considering that every morning was a jumble of trying things on and throwing clothes on the floor that weren't suitable for that day. I couldn't tell what I needed to wash and what I had already washed. So....the job became their's.

Glenda
Posted By: Dmsw4 Re: I love autumn! - 09/13/06 03:12 AM
OK, glad I gave you a moment of amusement....
Posted By: Glenda_aka_kc Re: I love autumn! - 09/13/06 04:54 AM
Mel...I'm sorry. I wasn't laughing at you. I was laughing with you and at myself. I REALLY do see me doing something like that. For example, once when D was about 13 she was having a hissy fit about something and I just couldn't take anymore. I reached in my dish and scooped out chocolate pudding and started a food fight with her than ended up with her covered in chocolate pudding and me in stitches on the floor laughing. Of course, I got to clean up the kitchen then, which didn't have me laughing all that much. But, sometimes, you just have to cut loose.

Joe, I don't think four days to embark on and complete a trip to Alaska would give you anything but exhaustion. Perhaps I'll check out the Irish music and send you a t-shirt.
Posted By: Dmsw4 Re: I love autumn! - 09/13/06 10:36 AM
It's OK KC...I know exactly what you mean.
Posted By: FiatLux Re: I love autumn! - 09/13/06 02:53 PM
Nov 6th to Nov 10th it is! Book it, baby!! Kev, Wes, 11/6-11/10.

Seriously, if that works for you, know you're always welcome. That tends to be a great time of year - post-hurricane gorgeous fall (we don't really have seasons down here, tho).

Joe, I remember your early days here, and I know that your road was at least twice as steep as mine. Despite that, you've ended up with a parenting stance and a level of grace that I can only hope to achieve some day. I still struggle with the issue of resentment, but find the 24hr rule still works - e.g., not talking or communicating to XW until I calm down. Your spirituality and faith in God has been an amazing resource to you thru all this, and I hope that it continues to be so.

I imagine that there's a lesson to be learned regarding the ongoing need for humility, nonjudgmentalism (a word? ), and unconditional love for our kids.

Best,

Gabe
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/15/06 01:28 AM
Mighty Michele,
Quote:

I took a deep breath and asked myself, "Who do I want to be?"

I thought of those very words when I went to the HS open house on Monday. Sure enough, I ran into XW. She had a copy of S14's schedule for me, which was nice, because I'd had no time to make a copy. I thanked her and said, "I want to see S7 on Wednesday." (That's when he became S7) She just said, "OK."

Sure enough, they were at the end of the driveway on Wednesday morning and I saw him there!
Quote:

I don't like him. I don't respect him. But I can walk with him.

I thought of these words, too. Well, a variation of them.

After the interaction with XW in the auditorium, I went out to find a map of the school. Instead of distributing maps, they had Navy Junior ROTC students stationed around the school to give directions, but I saw someone who was going to get one, so I asked for one. I thought they'd come back with a stack and I could ask for a second one to give XW, but they came back with two, for me and the first person who'd asked.

So when I ran into XW again, I showed her which floors each classroom was for our simulated "S14's day at school." I didn't sit with her in the auditorium. I don't like her, I don't respect her, and I don't have to sit near her.
Quote:

The party sounds great.

It was great. I'm looking forward to this year's Halloween party. We'll have lots of new people to meet and scare!

Barb,
Quote:

I know you want your son to appreciate you, I know you want him to think you've got it all together, but heck, at 14 (?) maybe he can start being in charge of his own laundry.

He can, that's for sure. What got me was that by the time he mentioned it, there was no way anyone could have washed and dried them in time. I had other laundry running, too. So that means he's heading to his mother's house with dirty clothes. I don't want to give her any ammunition to use against me.

I do wish I had done better in talking to him about it, but as my T pointed out last night, he has a lot of denial. His mother left without even telling him goodbye, he knows that I originally filed on the adultery charge, etc. He's got to try real hard to find reasons to admire her, 'cause she's still his mother, so these days she can do no wrong in his eyes.

There might be a little of that "I can't afford to upset her or she'll reject/abandon me again" along with "Dad won't abandon me no matter how much of a rat I am" going on, too.

And strike that "not pretty" remark from the record!

Kev,
Quote:

I can empathize with your feelings of bitterness and anger. I still have them as well. Just remember you're human and that you will replace the feelings with agape if you continue to ask Him to lift you up.

Thanks, man. I do need to keep my focus on me, and keep praying. It's not fun when I'm trying to pray in the morning and feeling so much bitterness, anger, etc. at the woman parked in front of my house!

It occurred to me that, if I were "D but not done," this would be the perfect sitch to have interactions with her and try to continue DBing the M. It also occurred to me that she and her mother likely planned most of this for more than a year, going back to her mother's visit a year before moving in, when she still claimed she wouldn't move in. That was when XW and XMIL somehow failed to sign the van over into our names instead of XMIL's. So it was technically not marital property at the D.

As my T said, the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Friend Betsey,
Quote:

I'm here to tell you that it's a process and occasionally I fall off too. I just haven't posted much about those episodes

I guess I post about this stuff as a way to vent, and to see what I can get from others who've been down (or are going down) the same kind of path. My "ordinary" life is too ordinary to post. I suppose the week-on/week-off stuff will seem ordinary at some point. I really dislike having XW and XMIL parked at my house each day for the kids' bus schedules. That will probably never seem ordinary.
Quote:

The most unfortunate part of this falling-off-the-wagon experience is that other people tend to be the recipients of my anxiety.

Exactly what I did to S14 last Sunday evening.

I can't help wishing that XW had made good on her threat to be "gone with a note on the table and they (the kids) won't know where I am." I suppose it's better for them that she didn't, but that's almost too close to call. I know I'd feel better if she weren't around my home so much.
Quote:

I doubt you'd want her back now even if she agreed to be faithful. That's your truth now, Joe.

What would that agreement mean? She was unfaithful before OM-0. She was unfaithful after OM-1's wife confronted her here, in front of D11. She was in MC lying about money she took from the HELOC.

Betsey, I don't believe I could trust her in anything ever again. I forced myself to trust her before, ignoring, supressing even, my own knowledge of the truth. Fidelity is not in her.
Quote:

Trust. Believe. Have faith. And don't forget to breathe before you sip that Guinness.

Good advice, all! Though I"m working through a German Oktoberfest now. I'll be sure to have my Guinness here in time for the Celtic New Year, though.

M,
Quote:

Joe, as someone who has been away for a bit, I have to take note of how much growth you've continued to exhibit. You still have every right to feel anger and hurt, so naturally there are going to be times when this comes through.

Thank you. I don't have the perspective on my own sitch, even when I go back and look at old posts/journal entries, etc.

I have a right to my feelings, but I don't want to express them in a way that can hurt S14's. He's in denial for a reason. At this stage in his life, he needs it. But while he's like this, any "bloopers" on my part just add to his adopted anger at me.

And I tell the kids I love them every day. They blow it off, too "baby-ish" maybe, but I still tell them.

Glenda,
Quote:

I couldn't tell what I needed to wash and what I had already washed.

That's D12 since she was D7 or D8. I have a ton of stuff to give to her cousin now. She has so much clothes, and I've seen stuff that was still folded come back in her hamper the next week too often.

I don't want the kids washing loads of three items at a time, though, (not good for the septic field) and complaining that they're not going to wash anyone else's clothes.

Gabe,
Quote:

Nov 6th to Nov 10th it is!

I talked to Kev tonight. Are you supplying the couches? I really want to use my voucher to get all $300 worth, so I'd buy a ticket to FL.
Quote:

Joe, I remember your early days here, and I know that your road was at least twice as steep as mine.

Oh, I don't know about that. The RO crap you endured, and XW's backstabbing at work now are things beyond what I had. Let's just say we both had some tough times dealing with our respective XWs.
Quote:

Despite that, you've ended up with a parenting stance and a level of grace that I can only hope to achieve some day. I still struggle with the issue of resentment, but find the 24hr rule still works - e.g., not talking or communicating to XW until I calm down. Your spirituality and faith in God has been an amazing resource to you thru all this, and I hope that it continues to be so.

You still can't have my last beer! Seriously, thank you very much. MC remarked once that she thought my faith had been a strong support in my life. I've always felt that the kids who were betrayed by clergy really got the worst abuse, because in addition to the abuse itself, the thing that has helped me most was stolen from them.

I lost my patience (back to your words, Kev!) with myself, with S14, and with XW/the sitch itself on Sunday night. The 24 hour rule will serve me well, I'm sure, when I can keep it in mind.

Gosh, it's too late for an update now. I had a very busy week, with not enough billable time at work, but some way cool stuff happening at home. No, not that way cool (Get your mind out of the gutter! ), just some good meetings at schools and in regard to the house.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/16/06 02:22 AM
OK, so here's the update.

I wrote about the open house night on Monday night at S14's school in my last post. One more interesting part of that evening was the silent auction. There were baskets on tables all around the school lobby for two groups doing silent auction fundraisers. Most of the stuff was geared toward women, with skin care products and salon certificates, etc. But there was one with a mountain cabin rental for two nights, a gas card, and some other stuff. I bid on that.

When I came back to check on it, XW was standing in front of it. I wondered if she was planning to bid against me, but she didn't. Someone did, and I think they were a school employee, 'cause they listed the school instead of a phone number for their contact info.

Over the course of the evening I bid again, and so did they. I bid one last time, at the highest I was willing to go. Each time I went by to check, XW was standing in front of it.

Just before the next to last "class" in our simulated school day, the auctions closed. I got my cabin rental. I went to that class (S14's math class), and XW was already there. When that one finished up, I spent some time talking to the teacher. S14 has a lot of math ability, with standardized scores in the eighties for several years now, but he insists he can't do math.

Then I went over to the last class. Where, just as at D11's school the previous week, there was no XW.

Tuesday the schools were closed for the primary elections, so there was no XW parked in front of my house that morning. I got a call from D11 during the day, though.

D11 - "Dad, how do you make a web page?"
Joe - "A D11, you made one. Remember? It's still online on the Internet. Your 'Don't smoke' page."
D - "I know, but I want to work on one now."
J - "OK, but this isn't something I can explain to you over the phone. At least not while I'm at work."
D - "You're at work?"
J - "Yep. Just because the schools are closed in MD doesn't mean I get the day off work."
"I can go over this with you when you come home. Just remind me on Sunday night. I don't even know what's on your mother's computer to suggest how you would work."

Later I found a web page that teaches HTML for kids, and I texted it to her phone.

Wednesday morning. S7's birthday! I would have gone into work early that day, but instead I met S7 when XW pulled up in the morning. I wished him a Happy Birthday, and XW said, "He's grumpy." I figured I'd let S7 tell me how he felt, so I kept talking to him, and I sang "Happy Birthday" (with the "cha-cha-cha"). He seemed to enjoy it, and to enjoy pretending he didn't enjoy. Not that I sing well enough for him to enjoy that, but he did enjoy the attention.

I asked D11 if she'd gotten the text message. She said she had, but she had moved on to other things by then, so I guess we'll be doing some html this week. D11 was sitting in the back seat of XW's truck, doing homework. She'd been off school on Tuesday, and here she was on Wednesday morning, doing homework in the last few minutes before her bus was due. I started to help her (she asked me about abstract nouns), and XW started in on her. "D11, is that your breakfast? Why didn't you eat it?" The question in my mind was "Why is she taking breakfast and homework in the truck with her, especially when she had a whole day to get the homework done?"

Anyway, we finished up her English homework. I don't know what else might have been incomplete. I got a letter from the school on Thursday informing me that she was supposed to have brought back some work signed by a parent earlier in the week. Since she didn't, she got a zero for it.

Ya know, I don't have another adult living in my home who can help with meals, etc. in the evenings. Yet the kids get their homework done, and I go through their folders to sign and return the things the schools send home. The kids have a dinner every night, and a breakfast every morning. What can be so important that they can't get those basics when they're not home?

Never mind. I'm just venting again. But this woman can't make the meetings at school, or can't stay for the whole thing when she does, doesn't get the kids to do their homework or eat breakfast, doesn't reimburse me half the costs for school supplies or medical/dental bills, doesn't pay her portion of the outstanding tax liablity from the last joint filing, parks in front of my house in the morning instead of paying for child care (and her child care costs were a factor in the CS calculations). What exactly did she want when she tore up this family? What does she think she's getting now?

Wednesday night I saw my T. It was the first session in a few weeks. It's a better time on Wednesdays than my old Friday slot was, too.

Thursday I got a call from S14's math teacher. He'd been late to class twice, and a third time would mean automatic detention. It turned out to be because his history teacher held class in the library, so he had a long way to go back to his locker and up to the third floor at the opposite end of the building. He's going to work it out with the teachers to avoid getting pinned with that third "late."

Thursday night was the first meeting at D11's school for the PTSA. Once again I didn't make up any time at work, but I did get to the meeting just a few minutes after it started. You'll never guess who didn't attend! (Insert sarcastic smiley here.)

Leading us to today, Friday the 15th. Estimated taxes day, so I can remember how tight money is until I get her tax bill paid. But the big thing about today is the dance at D11's school tonight. Her first dance.

She went with a friend who's a year older than her. They had been classmates back in the school D11 just completed. Her friend paid for her admission, started walking toward the stairs to the gym, saw the chaperone at the top of the steps, and turned back to tell D11, "Your Dad's here!"

It was raining so the kids' shoes were wet. The stairs are metal, and one of the other chaperones suggested we tell the kids not to run. So I had gone to the top of the stairs to warn them as they came in. Somehow I became the "running police." At least it was a dance, and not something dangerous like an art class with scissors.

By the end of the night, I wasn't sure I could bend my leg again. I spent the night on the landing of a stairwell, telling kids, "Stop running," "I appreciate your concern for safety," and so on. Some of them kept coming past to pretend they were running in slow motion, or to tell me, "I'm walking!" or whatever. I knew a dozen or more of them from teaching religious ed these last few years, so I could speak to some of them by name. Maybe next time I'll rent a tux, seeing as I didn't for the D hearing. D11 only came by me twice, and the first time she acted like I wasn't serious when I told her to stop running. I was, and I'm hoarse now.

So my little girl is going to the school dances now, where she'll likely meet some guy. I'll have to insist he fills out the application and passes the background check and clearance.

It's funny. I used to play a certain song by Clannad when I was putting baby D11 to bed, and "dance" with her to it. Last year she heard the CD again, and told me how much she likes that song. I told her about playing it for her as a baby. I imagine we can dance to it at her wedding reception. My darling is growing up!

Anyway, that's the stuff at schools. S14 had a brush with "the law" but is taking responsibility to solve the problem. D11 is in some bit of trouble, probably over disorganization, but I can help her make a schedule that works for her and then adapt it to life at XW's house. S7 had a great party and will get good word of mouth to support his invitations to the Halloween party.

As for the house, the best news is the Japanese maple tree. Years ago I mentioned to XW that I thought it would be nice to put a deciduous tree in the front yard outside our bedroom. It would block the afternoon summer sun, give us a view in the spring and the fall, and not block what little sun there is in the winter. I showed her how I imagined it in the yard. I expected (dirty word, that) she would have some ideas and discuss them with me.

I came home one day to find a new tree in the front yard. It was on the edge of the yard, just about a foot from the driveway. By now it's about 15 feet tall, and in the summer it shades one corner of the garage. Some of its branches hang in the driveway now, too, so we have to walk around it to use the car.

I told the kids I was thinking of cutting it down. They didn't seem happy about that. D11 seemed to be bothered the most. But when the remnants of Hurricane E came through here a couple weeks ago, they soaked the ground so much that the tree started tipping over. I called a local nursery about that, and they told me that I could probably transplant it, if I wait for it to go dormant. No guarantees that it'll be ok, but I know it won't be ok if I move it with the chain saw!

So maybe D11 and her brothers can keep the tree that (I think) reminds them of their mother, and I can get the summer shade, etc. that I wanted all along.

At S14's open house, I was seated in the auditorium near some neighbors. I didn't know them very well (they're at the front of the subdivision and I'm at the back), but when we started talking I recognized the H as D11's social studies teacher. Anyway, when I told them which house is mine, they told me that it has the largest floor plan of any house in the subdivision. I didn't bother to tell them about the addition.

In real terms, I guess I have the "white elephant," since I've always heard that it's not a good idea to buy the biggest or the smallest house in a neighborhood. But in "this is where we live no matter what its market value" terms, I guess it's nice to think we do have a lot of room. Until I try cleaning!

So, tomorrow is my last chance to make up some time before the kids come home. I do have some work I can do, so I'm going in for a few hours. I'd like to get to the point where I don't go to work on Saturdays and holidays just because the kids aren't home that day. Once I get out from under the old tax bill I'm going to make a point to take that time off. I won't make full-time hours, but I don't do that now anyway, even with working on holidays, etc. If Labor Day had been during XW's week, I'd probably have worked then and could take tomorrow off. And if wishes wuz fishes we'd all ride for free, according to Ben Grimm.

There, now you're all caught up.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/16/06 02:38 PM
http://www.lightamillioncandles.com
Posted By: MicheleTW Re: I love autumn! - 09/16/06 05:17 PM
Quote:

But this woman can't make the meetings at school, or can't stay for the whole thing when she does, doesn't get the kids to do their homework or eat breakfast, doesn't reimburse me half the costs for school supplies or medical/dental bills, doesn't pay her portion of the outstanding tax liablity from the last joint filing, parks in front of my house in the morning instead of paying for child care (and her child care costs were a factor in the CS calculations). What exactly did she want when she tore up this family? What does she think she's getting now?

Joe, I know this will shock you... but I'm reading a book [pause for effect]...

Anyway, it's a book I picked up after getting an email (thanks, H2H for forwarding the initial email to me) -- it's called "The Passion Test" and I thought it might be useful in my work. Part of it has been. Part of it is hyperbole.

But, nevertheless. One of the most useful things was this phrase:
Quote:

Your results always match your true intentions.

I copied that one down on an index card and have it propped on my monitor. Makes a lot of sense, huh?

If your underlying belief is that you are corrupted, not good enough, and a poor excuse for a human being, your results will mirror that. Even if you mask your underlying beliefs with bravado, or disdain for others or whatever, your results will reflect how you really feel.

This is why we self-sabotage. This is why, as a client revealed to me this week, we are less than adequate parents -- because deep inside we fear that we are inadequate. And we make it so.

I am completely putting myself in another person's shoes here (which could fairly be called "projecting"), but what if you were a person who had very weak internal governance. You couldn't stop yourself from doing something harmful, like over-indulging, having sex, or shopping. And you hated yourself for your weakness -- you should be better than that! -- but you couldn't stop. You might get to the point where stuff seemed pointless. You're inherently irresponsible, so why bother with being responsible? Why do anything other than reinforce the idea that you are a failure?

Because deep down you know you are, always have been, and always will be a failure. There's nothing you can do to change it.

My friend, that is one sad way to live a life.

Not your choice, not my choice, but some people's choice -- that's my guess.

Your pal,
Michele

Posted By: Glenda_aka_kc Re: I love autumn! - 09/16/06 05:53 PM
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------

Michele - you have a way of ferreting out some of the most intriguing food for thought.

I remember having a dream during the time I was pretty ill with the ruptured appendix/abscess, in or around the time I was readmitted to the hospital due to very high temp, infection, etc. It seemed linked to my abandonment issues and not very realistic and I would hate to think it was my intent. I dreamt that now XH walked in to hospital and proclaimed that children were grown and he understood why people I loved left me. I was not worth the time and trouble and he was leaving. I could keep the dogs.

Now, that isn't exactly what happened but close enough I would hate to think all of this mess was the result of my intentions. Some type of mix up in cosmic ordering?

Of course, I always get around to assuming that all things "wrong" are somehow my fault and I am unworthy of the things I want.

When I finish 80/20, which I finally found again, I think I'll add The Passion Test to my reading list. I think I've made some huge progress in the last year but I'm definitely a work in progress with a long way to go.

Glenda
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/17/06 01:17 AM
Michele,
Quote:

Joe, I know this will shock you... but I'm reading a book [pause for effect]...

If the desired effect was a smile, you got it. my friend!
Quote:

I like that idea. It speaks to reponsibility, to owning one's own power, and it has a sense of karma to it, too. Thank you for posting it.

Glenda,
Quote:

I would hate to think all of this mess was the result of my intentions.

By "all of this" I presume you mean the D? Looking back, I see your stated intentions to fix your finances, your housing, etc. all coming together according to your efforts. As for the D, remember that XH has/had intentions, too.

Update:

A mildly interesting day. I posted late last night, did some reading, and slept just as long as I could this morning. Well, I had to go out during the night to referee a cat fight, so I figured I deserved to sleep in.

Two of the cats were growling at each other, and at one point it sounded like a human baby's cry. I think that's what woke me up enough to get out of bed. Once I realized what the sound was, I still wanted to go out there and nip trouble in the bud. I don't need any more quarantined pets or animal surgery bills!

I found a reference to Light A Million Candles on another site this morning. It's not a pretty truth, but there are a lot of kids getting hurt.

I did work today, less than I had planned, but probably to better result than what I had planned. A tool I developed is getting increasingly complex due to fluctuating user requirements, and I was just in the right frame of mind to start simplifying (or "refactoring" as we call it on resumes ) it this afternoon. I like the way it's headed now, and I feel a lot better about my ability to keep up with future changes.

Back on the laundry front, KMart had towels, etc. on sale this week. I'd gotten tired of the kids using beach towels and stashing them in their rooms wet for me to find. So I got a bath towel/hand towel/washcloth set for each of us. It took two trips, starting Wednesday night at the local KMart and finishing up tonight on my way home. Gotta buy the right colors or the kids will meltdown!

Tonight I finished washing and drying more than a dozen beach towels, and stashed them for next summer. I'll tell the kids that I'll wash their towels once midweek and once when they're not home, so it'll be up to them to stop stuffing them wet into hampers.

The mail today brought me a not so lovely surprise. My business insurance for my self employment nearly doubled! I need to do some investigation on that quick because it's due in less than two weeks.

I haven't heard back from USAir about the details of using my voucher. It'd be nice if I have a year to buy the ticket and another year to take the trip. Maybe I could set my sights on Ireland in the spring.

Now I'm going to open one of my Oktoberfests and read something. Maybe even something besides a self help/self improvement book, though Michele's got me thinking about buying yet another one.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/17/06 02:20 AM
Yeah, I was supposed to be reading by now, but I found this online at Take Our Word For It:
Quote:

Forgive was, in Old English, forgiefan 'give, grant, forgive' (from for- 'completely' and -giefan 'give'). Interestingly, this word is a calque (a word translated into one language from another language), having come from Latin perdonare 'forgive, pardon' (clearly the source of the Spanish and French forms). The Latin word was a compound formed from per- `thoroughly' and donare 'give.' The translation from Latin occurred in prehistoric Germanic times, the Proto-Germanic form being *fergeban.

It has nothing to do with excusing lies, infidelity, abuse, drug use, hiding/stealing money. Instead, we can give them the life they chose, with its consequences, and give completely.

OK, now I'll stop bothering you nice people.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/18/06 12:39 PM
Happy Monday to one and all!

A week ago XW showed up around 5:30 (transfer time is 6:00) and the kids were still playing on the trampoline. I sent S7 to get his stuff ready to leave, and I told him to get his shoes. He grabbed a pair of shoes which I bought him this summer. They have laces.

XW asked him to get his shoes later, and he said, "They're in the trunk," referring to the back of her truck. She loaded some of D11's stuff after that.

Yesterday, I showed up at her place a couple minutes before six. I rang the doorbell and waited at the door because I had parked my car across the street from her place. I didn't want the kids, especially S7, to run across the street when they came out. When I can park on her side, I go back to my car and wait, since no one ever answers the door.

S7 was the first one out, about five after six. With no shoes. I asked him where his shoes were, thinking maybe they were in his backpack. He got angry and started yelling at me, "You kept my good shoes!" (He left a pair with zippers instead of laces at home last week. XW bought those.)

Who tells a kid stuff like that? They were parked in front of my house five mornings last week, S7 got off the bus in front of my house five afternoons while S14 and his house key were waiting there with XMIL, I saw XW at the high school open house. If there were a real problem with his shoes, there were many opportunities to solve it. Instead, she sends him home barefoot and angry.

Vent over.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: kml Re: I love autumn! - 09/18/06 02:19 PM
Joe -
You seem surprised, as if you're not dealing with a completely wacko passive-aggressive self-centered nutcase of an ex. Had you forgotten? Cheeseless tunnel, my friend, to wonder about all her inappropriate behaviors.

(I'm reminded of Mal's exH, who had an obsession with socks - as in, their 9 year old son would lose socks and it must be Mal's fault - as if 9 year old boys don't lose socks all the time! We all told her that if she gave us his address, we would all send her ex packages of socks! I would have loved to have seen his face if we had done that - imagine random packages of boys socks arriving from all over the country ).

Ellie
Posted By: Dmsw4 Re: I love autumn! - 09/18/06 03:23 PM
Just remember Joe that kids don't have an edit button. Maybe he likes the zipper shoes better just because they are easier to put on. My D7 loves a shirt she found at Goodwill...it most certainly is not a "good" shirt by any means, but to her, it's the best. Give yourself a break and explain to S7 that if he feels so strongly about the shoes, that he needs to make sure he has them with him when he goes to Mom's house or comes back home to you. Explain that Dad cannot always remember to pack specific items. "I need you to help me remember what it is you want when you go to stay with mom."

When H sent me a list of items he wanted me to pack for the girls during a 2 week visit, at first I was ticked off...now I use it as my guideline. Takes the pressure off of me, he gets what he wants, and I don't have to make up a list. Also, if something is not included, it's not my fault. he he

I remember not too long ago, we all had to go somewhere, a practice for D9's concert. D7 got to the school and had NO shoes. I found a pair of my sandals in the van. She complained about having to wear my shoes...well then honey, next time you get in the van, make sure you have some shoes on
Posted By: Glenda_aka_kc Re: I love autumn! - 09/18/06 03:53 PM
Joe, 7 year olds are so easily swayed, especially in a situation they do not like. I always blamed myself...i.e, I must have been an awful kid for my parents to not want me but my grandparents NEVER talked about the situation. That is obviously not the case in S7's situation so he has something he doesn't like compounded by whatever your XW is saying. Sounds like he is likely to be her pawn for a long time.

A list for packing might be a good idea. I might even go a step further and laminate it so you (he) can use one of those white board markers to check things off and it can be wiped off for use the next time. You could make two, even -- one for your house and one for XW's. She might not use it or let S7 use it at her house but ...

Just food for thought.

Glenda
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/19/06 01:30 AM
Ellie,
Quote:

You seem surprised, as if you're not dealing with a completely wacko passive-aggressive self-centered nutcase of an ex.

That gets right to something that's been on my mind for the last couple days. This is where friends like you can help me so much.

It's like there's something in me that wants to believe she can do better. She got the D she said she wanted, she's free to chase any guy she wants, so now she'll leave me alone, treat the kids at least with respect, right? Time and again, she proves me wrong.

I need to figure out why I keep expecting something she just can't or won't give. I have to stop that, because it is the most cheeseless of tunnels.

And what was it that attracted me to her in the first place? I had some kind of "soul mate" feeling when I first saw her that I never felt with anyone else before, and I'll run away screaming if I ever get that feeling again!

Seriously, I'm trying to learn what went wrong. How did I get so entangled with someone so unhealthy and why? I've heard from the kids that XW reads some self help books, but it seems that she uses them to justify her past behaviors. 'Course, I'm not doing any better by writing about what she does, am I?

Barb,
Quote:

Give yourself a break and explain to S7 that if he feels so strongly about the shoes, that he needs to make sure he has them with him when he goes to Mom's house or comes back home to you.

He didn't care about the shoes. At least when he left here, he didn't. He grabbed the ones with laces when XW showed up early and he wasn't yet ready to go.

She sent him out to me on Sunday in his bare feet. The shoes he had worn over to her house were shoes he picked when he was packing. They were shoes I had purchased for him at the start of school. Why is she keeping them and sending him out barefoot? Something's just not right with that. And if she wanted "her shoes" back, then why not say something during the week? She's parked outside my door every morning, Mon-Fri when the kids are with her.

I think she told him he would have to go barefoot because "Dad kept your good shoes," or some such.

Glenda,
Quote:

Sounds like he is likely to be her pawn for a long time.

I hope not. She messed with his life more than enough when she kept him away from home so long. Kids are resilient, but this guy's going through a wringer with this kind of crap.
Quote:

A list for packing might be a good idea. I might even go a step further and laminate it so you (he) can use one of those white board markers to check things off and it can be wiped off for use the next time.

Yeah, Barb's on to something there. And the laminated version would work well for D11, as well. I made her an after school schedule like that once.

I don't know about making another copy for XW's house, though. S7 had a homework assignment to decorate a sign for his "homework place" when he was last at home. I made a copy of the uncolord original and the instructions which I gave to XW last week, since our kitchen table isn't his "homework place" when he's at her house. Last night I found it in his backpack.

From the "Why can't we have an update instead of some more venting?" department:

I took D11 clothes shopping tonight because the weather will turn quite a bit cooler in a day or two and she had no long sleeve stuff here. I heard her complain that "Mom doesn't even work full time and she can still take me to the mall to go to Aeropostale." I explained to her that "Mom" gets paid vacation time, "Mom" gets paid holidays, "Mom" has tenants paying her each month, while I paid for her camps (almost $1,000 this summer, more if you count the riding clothes I bought in the spring), I pay for her pets' care, and I don't work full time unless I can put in a Saturday and sometimes a holiday. (I worked on the Fourth of July and the following Saturday and covered my hours then. But Labor Day the kids were here, so I was short this past pay period.)

So when we got back home, she made two calls to XW to gripe about me. I wouldn't mind letting her clothes shop with her mother if she were bringing the clothes back home, but when XW won't pay her share of medical bills and sends S7 home barefoot, I'd have to be pretty stupid to send money for a clothes shopping trip.

Sunday, I'm gonna have me a beer!

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: kml Re: I love autumn! - 09/19/06 04:48 AM
Quote:

And what was it that attracted me to her in the first place? I had some kind of "soul mate" feeling when I first saw her that I never felt with anyone else before, and I'll run away screaming if I ever get that feeling again!

Probably just one of those pheromone things that told your primitive brain that her genes would mix well with yours - and aren't your darling healthy children proof of that?

Quote:

I've heard from the kids that XW reads some self help books, but it seems that she uses them to justify her past behaviors. 'Course, I'm not doing any better by writing about what she does, am I?

Well, I think it helps you to figure out how to avoid such a "soulmate" in the future, plus people give you practical tips on dealing with her in the present.

Quote:

So when we got back home, she made two calls to XW to gripe about me.

Hmmm...mayu just be a girly thing, that she wants to clothes shop with her mom? Do you maybe have a female friend or relative or teenage babysitter you could send her out shopping with? Maybe she would like that better (and hey, you wouldn't have to sit in the dreaded "outside-the-dressing-room-chair" - boy did I hate that shopping with my D! I'm a bad shopper. I prefer shopping with S14 - he goes to the computer, pulls up what he wants, fills out the order, I come over to input my credit card info, and we're done!!!)
Posted By: Underdog Re: I love autumn! - 09/19/06 02:13 PM
Joe,

Just some food for thought on D11's gripe call to her mom... when I was her age, I was looking out for #1 99% of the time--at any cost. I worked my parents (who were and are still married to each other) over pretty good. When I felt I could get away with something, I attempted to work over the weaker parent. Most of the time, it didn't work--and only because my parents were batting for the same team. Some of the time it did, and I created trouble for them. I wasn't alone, because my friends and siblings did it too. So it should be no surprise that I complained about one parent to the other--attempting to get them to do my bidding because the mean parent wouldn't see things my way.

What I'm trying to say is that while D11's behavior is normal, it's unfortunate that XW sees her gripes as "the truth about Joe". Perhaps a little unwarranted retaliation on her part will get D11 to see how ugly this might play out and invoke a little guilt? I don't know. But try not to see this as something personal, because my recollection as a kid says it's not about you but about them getting to fanagle a situation to work out to their benefit.

Quote:

It's like there's something in me that wants to believe she can do better. She got the D she said she wanted, she's free to chase any guy she wants, so now she'll leave me alone, treat the kids at least with respect, right? Time and again, she proves me wrong.

While I can't help but wonder why she can't leave you alone now that she got her D, I agree with you and Ellie that it's cheeseless. We could probably wonder why she chooses to engage with you this way, but I doubt we'd be able to solve it.

I hope you don't think I'm harping on you, Joe. I think you have a tough go with her. You've given her the path she clearly wanted, so why isn't that enough? (((((Joe)))))

But the simple fact is it looks like she's going to make a career out of making you look like a schmuck. The only thing you can do is to make sure that you don't act like a schmuck and continue to hold your head high and be the great dad you are and keep on keeping on. From what I know about your kids, they don't *want* to cast you in a negative light. That has to count for something. You may not see anything concrete to tell you either way for quite some time, so just do what you know you need and want to do and things will work out the way they are supposed to work out.

Just so you know I mean it, I think your XW is behaving like a schmuck. Anyone who chooses to martyr their kids to make themselves look good gets that label in my book. But that won't change anything in your world.

The best thing you could possibly do is to be the best Joe you know how to be--no matter what she chooses to do or say. The truth cannot be refuted. At least where it counts.

Hugs,

Betsey
Posted By: Delboy Re: I love autumn! - 09/19/06 06:13 PM
Hi Joe, Just my take on your quote: Seriously, I'm trying to learn what went wrong. How did I get so entangled with someone so unhealthy and why? Joe I think it's to do with the crap you endured in your childhood where you were abused by people you trusted. It just went into your subconscious. So when somebody you trusted started to abuse you you thought nothing of it because it had become so ingrained in you.

In the past I put up with a lot of sh!t as well because of the stuff I was exposed to in my childhood. But I won't put up with crap from anyone,now I have clearer boundaries.

Love Delboy,

And may God bless you and your children
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/20/06 10:51 AM
Ellie,
Quote:

Probably just one of those pheromone things that told your primitive brain that her genes would mix well with yours - and aren't your darling healthy children proof of that?

I feel safer with that than with the "neatly-dovetailing dysfunctions" theory that's dominated my thinking. Pheremones I can live with but continued dysfunction would be a show stopper!
Quote:

Hmmm...mayu just be a girly thing, that she wants to clothes shop with her mom? Do you maybe have a female friend or relative or teenage babysitter you could send her out shopping with

It's more her wanting to complain and knowing who'd want to listen, I think.

I don't have any family within about 200+ miles or I'd try to send her shopping with one of my sisters. In a few months I should be able to let her have a mall shopping trip, but it still won't become our SOP.

Betsey,
Quote:

What I'm trying to say is that while D11's behavior is normal, it's unfortunate that XW sees her gripes as "the truth about Joe".

I worry more about how D11 feels than what reaction XW will have. I don't feel very good about mentioning money to D11 because I know how XW used that to scare S14 last year ("Say 'goodbye' to that house, your father can't afford to keep it.") till he was losing sleep over it.

Someday they'll see what's happened from their adult perspectives. What's truly important is how well I can act in line with my beliefs, i.e., as I should. I know you're not fond of that word, but it serves me very well in that meaning.
Quote:

From what I know about your kids, they don't *want* to cast you in a negative light. That has to count for something.

It does. I read Michele's post to Barb and was remembering how I used to tell the kids that XW loved them. S14 would fly into a rage, telling me how "she doesn't care about us" and talking of her trying to "bribe" him, etc.

When I stopped saying things like that, he stopped showing so much anger toward her. Possibly mere co-inky-dink, but I wonder if losing the motivation to "prove his point" allowed him to work on defining a new R with her. I don't believe he's even begun to deal with that anger, but he's not lashing out at people around him over it now.
Quote:

The best thing you could possibly do is to be the best Joe you know how to be--no matter what she chooses to do or say. The truth cannot be refuted. At least where it counts.

Thanks! Simple enough that even I can remember it. Not always easy to put into action, but still pretty simple when I do.

Delboy! Long time, no see. Thanks for dropping in again!
Quote:

Joe I think it's to do with the crap you endured in your childhood where you were abused by people you trusted.

I don't want to go too far with this here, but I have noticed "sets" of traits in her and a particular someone else from my childhood. So there's a lot of truth in what you say.

Update:

Did I mention I'll be having a beer on Sunday? I might make it two.

I slept in till something to six Tuesday morning. That left S14 less time than usual to get out to his bus stop, but he got more sleep than usual, too. As S7 was leaving to start his day, he called to me, "Dad, there's blood."

There was. A trail of blood from the sidewalk into the bushes in front of my bedroom window. I couldn't see any kitties in the bushes, and I wondered if somebody had killed a "treat" like a mole and was hiding with it. But I was worried that maybe one of the cats was hurt, so we tried calling for them until the kids' bus showed up.

After the kids left, I saw some more blood on the driveway. And on the porch. And a lot near the porch swing where one particular cat, one of D11's, likes to sit. So I spent another twenty minutes or so calling for her, since she was not one who'd appeared for breakfast. Finally I headed off to work.

My car started overheating on the way to work. I had replaced the thermostat earlier this year, but apparently that wasn't the problem, or at least not the whole problem. I left work early so I could get to the shop and have it checked with time remaining to get a rental if I needed one.

Well, I needed one. The car is in today to replace the water pump. I wanted a compact car for the rental, and they suggested they had an intermediate. By the time I got over there, I was "elegible for a complimentary upgrade" and I got a minivan. I guess people are very concious of the gas prices these days, but I took the $8 option to bring the car back with any amount of gas. I know how fast $8 will go in that van; it's a later model of the van we had.

I came home and asked the kids if they had seen our missing kitty. They took a look outside and found her. I scooped her up and brought her inside. When she leaned against the wall, she stained it with her blood. So I called the vet, and they said they couldn't see her last night, but gave me the number for an emergency vet in a neighboring county. I told them I can't afford that, and we have an appointment for 9 this morning.

Nine o'clock. Here in the county. After which I can bring kitty back home for her quarantine. The rental is due back at 3:30, which means I will have to leave work by around 2:00. Looks like another fun filled day full of billable hours to pay the vet!

Yesterday was the kind of day you say, "Someday we'll look back on this and laugh." Except post-D, there isn't anyone to share that.

'Course, I'm still going to look back and laugh.

The kids loved riding in the van. "This is where the stuffed animals were, 'cause I always sat here." "This was always full of pencils and crap." "They were my colored pencils." It was nice to hear them talking about it. They seemed really happy to reminisce.

So they're off to school now and I'm off to the vet.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: Underdog Re: I love autumn! - 09/21/06 03:31 AM
Okay, so how is the kitty?
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/21/06 10:20 AM
Betsey,
Quote:

Okay, so how is the kitty?

I blamed another kitty, one who's quite aggressive with certain other members of the pride, for the attack on PP. But when we got the fur shaved to see the wound, the vet said, "Snakebite."

Proabably a copperhead in these parts, given the swelling around the wound site. She's lucky she obviously didn't get a full dose of venom or she'd be a goner.

I brought her home and got her settled in the basement. I gave her her meds (one injected in her mouth, and one pill). When the kids got home I told them about it, and I went to a Freshmen Parents' Information Night at S14's school. No XW, but I didn't expect her, since the kids are home.

S14 is doing much, much better now than he did his last year and a half in his first school. His teachers say he can do even better, and in more strenuous courses, but I'll wait till he has most of this year under his belt before I suggest more Honors courses to him.

This morning PP fought against her meds. While I was trying to get the pill into her, she struggled until one of the punctures started to spout blood. She made a mess of my clothes (not work clothes, thankfully), the basement kitchen floor, and her fur. So she's confined to a bathroom with her food/water/litterbox for now so she won't trash the furniture I do have down there. None of it's new, but it's functional and can be made nice again when the D bills are all out of the way.

One more day with my rental van, since the parts for my car came in after noon yesterday and there wasn't time to complete the work.

Off to the kids' C, to the bank, to work, hi ho, hi ho!

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: kml Re: I love autumn! - 09/21/06 01:42 PM
The Strong One in newcomer's is in vet school, maybe she'll have some tips for giving the meds? I know with my dog, the only way to get pills in her is to hide them in some really tasty food (and even then she sometimes manages to find and spit out the capsule!).

Ellie
Posted By: FiatLux Re: I love autumn! - 09/21/06 04:16 PM
Hey there Joe,

Sounds like you're still busy-busy. Good talking to you the other day - much appreciated.

That's one brave kitty to be taking on a copperhead, but could I expect anything less than bravery from a member of your valiant household?

Ok, ok, so I'm laying it on a bit thick there...

Have a great day, Joe. Don't forget to pack the grapes and strawberries for the commute in that rental.

Gabe
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/22/06 12:24 AM
Ellie,
Quote:

The Strong One in newcomer's is in vet school, maybe she'll have some tips for giving the meds?

I found her thread from a couple days ago, but it's locked up. Her H sounds familiar, though. I guess it wouldn't have been possible to commute between MD and MI with sex change operation en-route for all these years, so maybe he's not XW after all.

Gabe,
Quote:

Ok, ok, so I'm laying it on a bit thick there...

Still gunnin' for my last beer, are ya?

Yeah, it was a good chat the other day. I'm still waiting to hear on how I can or can't use that voucher, so I haven't booked any flights yet.

Update:

I may not wait till Sunday for that beer.

Meetings two nights at different schools, phone calls with two teachers and a counselor, email to/from another teacher, working with the insurance company to get my premium back down, another emergency vet visit, two days driving a rental while my car is in the shop, working with the bank to get through the next several weeks and I'm ready for a beer now. But it's too late to drink a whole beer, so it'll still have to wait.

Happy Friday Eve to you all, and to all a Good Night!

Joe
Posted By: Aprilsm4 Re: I love autumn! - 09/22/06 11:13 AM
Hey Joe I'm trying to get caught up on threads. Sorry about your kitty and your car. I hope your weekend is wonderful and enjoy that beer. I may have one or two with you
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/24/06 10:23 PM
April,

Cars! Who needs 'em?

Thanks for dropping in. I probably should post an update, but the sky looks really neat and I have an open beer wagging its tail and asking to go outside, so...

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: Aprilsm4 Re: I love autumn! - 09/24/06 10:39 PM
Quote:

Cars! Who needs 'em?

Well, I do! I live in the middle of nowhere!
Posted By: Underdog Re: I love autumn! - 09/24/06 10:51 PM
Joe,

Thanks for your message! Was at D12's volleyball tourney. Maybe we can catch up this week?

Betsey
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/26/06 12:58 AM
April,
Quote:

I live in the middle of nowhere!

Oh, how can it be nowhere with you there?

Betsey,
Quote:

Maybe we can catch up this week?

I got your email. Keep me posted, 'kay?

Well, this past weekend we had a lot of fun on the trampoline. I've been working on my flip (S7 can flip and land on his feet!) and I'm getting better. S14 is also working on his, and he's not as good as S7, but probably as good as I am. I can almost get my feet under me. But the a few times yesterday I came down on my neck, and it was very sore today. I'm glad I keep asprin in my desk.

D11 starts rehearsals tomorrow for her next play, "The Littlest Angel." She got the news on Friday that she hadn't made the volleyball team, but she did not seem disappointed about it. Maybe she just enjoys meeting the other kids outside the classroom?

S7 spent both weekend nights in my bed. He fell asleep when we were reading on Friday, so I let him stay. On Saturday he took me to his room to listen for the "strange noises." I think S14 has been regaling him with stories of coyotes (which have been sighted in the county, but probably don't spend a lot of time hanging around our house with the dogs outside all day).

Saturday night after the trampoline festivities during the day we went to a restaurant to "celebrate" good interim reports from S14's and D11's schools. (S7 doesn't get interim reports in elementary.) Then we came back and the kids picked a movie. OK, S7 picked a Star Wars movie. I had to remind D11 that she picked "Spirit, Stallion of the Cimmaron (sp?)" last time. I broke open my beer on Saturday night instead of waiting.

I wrote a summary of the school meetings and the convos with teachers from the past week to give to XW yesterday. For the first time in a while, she didn't show up early. Maybe 'cause it was raining so she wouldn't enjoy walking around the yard? Anyway, I included school pictures of each of the boys, since once again she did not order any pictures. I told her (in my write up) that I expected D11 would get her pictures this week, and I wanted her (XW) to forward them to me, since I paid for them.

I'm a little disappointed that I wasn't yet ready to speak to XW directly about the kids' stuff, but I'm glad that writing it let me communicate while I wasn't caught up in anger, frustration, etc. I'm a work in progress, after all.

I worked a long day today, but I've decided I won't kill myself trying to make up all the time I missed last week, never mind the time I've missed this month. I'd be a wreck when the kids got home, which is not a good time to plan on resting anyway.

This raising a family thing really is a job for two. I think of the meals we rush through when I get home, the kids here alone for a couple hours before that, S14 watching his sibs while I go to meetings at the school. I know we'll get by, but I wanted so much for my kids to have something better than this.

I'm working my way very slowly through "Reaching Out" by Nouwen. I must be in a good place now to get some of these ideas, because they're ringing true, even familiar, and applicable to my own life. Michele, there's something he wrote in there about competition that brought your golf tournament to mind. I'll try to post the excerpt.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: Underdog Re: I love autumn! - 09/26/06 03:09 AM
Hi Joe,

Will do!

Wow, I'm impressed--you can do flips on the trampoline? I'd be scared to death I'd break my neck--so you get big brownie points for acting like a teenager.

Quote:

For the first time in a while, she didn't show up early. Maybe 'cause it was raining so she wouldn't enjoy walking around the yard?

LOL, this made me laugh--and probably because you're right!

As far as communicating in the written word goes, Joe, if this works for you, celebrate that. I know people who can't even write civilly, so at least you know you can communicate differently without feeling as though you keep entering and losing bar fights. I swear to you that I'd find it difficult to fight with your XW the way you have to do. It would wear me out.

Sorry to hear that D11 didn't make the v-ball team, but I'm relieved to hear that she took it well. Perhaps her reasons for joining are exactly as you called it? Then you know that this is something important to her.

We've got foxes in our hood and used to have coyotes until last year when the development nearby ran them out. I actually liked hearing their call, but I also know that I wouldn't want Mocha to be coyote food for them either. I've heard a few horror stories from neighbors which do give me reason to respect them. But with all your recent critter happenings, I bet you could use a break from the action.

Time to write back on my own thread and head to bed. My fanstasy team lost tonight and I'm depressed.

Ciao for now,

Betsey
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/27/06 12:48 AM
Betsey,
Quote:

Wow, I'm impressed--you can do flips on the trampoline? I'd be scared to death I'd break my neck--so you get big brownie points for acting like a teenager.

I can almost do a flip. I get my legs under me, but I don't yet land on my feet, more like between my feet and my butt. Not long ago, though, I was landing pretty consistently on my neck and back, so it's an improvement. I got better with the hula hoop by practicing, so I figure that's what I need here, too.

As for acting like a teenager, that's not difficult.
Quote:

We've got foxes in our hood and used to have coyotes until last year when the development nearby ran them out.

I've seen foxes myself. I only read that coyotes have been sighted in every MD county this year. I suppose if they were coming around here, I'd hear more complaints from the dogs and be missing cats.

Here's the piece from "Reaching Out" by Henri Nouwen that I mentioned on your thread, Michele. I was reading this on Sunday and thought first of the golf tournament, and then of my attempts to stay out of the "R of conflict" with XW.
Quote:

In a world so pervaded with competition, even those who are close to each other, such as classmates, teammates, co-actors in a play, colleagues in work, can become infected by fear and hostility when they experience each other as a threat to their intellectual or professional safety...Sometimes institutions explicitly created to offer free time and free space to develop the most precious human potentials have become so dominated by hostile defensiveness that some of the best ideas and some of the most valuable feelings remain unexressed.

Tonight I realized that somewhere along the line I saw XW as a threat. Not professional or intellectual, but emotional or relational. (Eventually physical and financial, too.) Maybe it was before I disclosed to her, though she wasn't working toward a healthy, intimate R. I haven't been able to pin it down to beginning with any certain time or event. I suppose I seemed a threat to her, too, if not in MC, then certainly after I started my own T.

So we triggered defensive reactions in one another. Here's where I have to guard against self-righteousness, because in my view, as I became aware of these defenses in me and how destructive they were, I worked to dismantle them. XW, on the other hand, stepped up the intensity of her defenses, flaunting new As in my face, demanding D, etc.

IMHO, of course. But I do remember a time shortly before she left when I talked about taking down walls around me and that I felt she had a wall around her. She told me, "All the walls don't come down at the same time."

I'm not sure what all this means, except that I'm more aware of something that wasn't healthy in me. Earlier awareness on my part wouldn't necessarily have changed any of her actions. It might have precipitated the crisis even earlier. It's just another piece in the "puzzle of me" for right now.

As for any update, let's just say that traffic sucked this morning. I wished my officemates, "Happy Tuesday!" and offered my homegrown etymology, "It's called Tuesday for the two hour commute." That helped me calm down quite a bit, and I did get some useful work done today. We have a deadline in October that's just few weeks away now, so any stress reduction I can bring to the office is good.

My neck is recovering slowly. I'm still taking asprin two or three times a day, and I can feel the improvement day by day.

D11 got her school pictures yesterday. She was sitting with XW and S7 at the end of the driveway this morning when I was leaving. I didn't ask her about the pictures (I called the school and asked today), and no one offered them. I wonder whether XW will produce the entire package or will take the ones "she deserves" before passing them to me.

My nephew, who's named for me, had a son last week with his GF. My parents are great-granparents now, and youngest Joe is the latest to share our name, so that's pretty cool.

That's about it.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: kml Re: I love autumn! - 09/27/06 02:46 AM
Joe -
you may have had issues, and you may not have been as open to your wife early in the R as would have been ideal - but let's face it, your wife's issues have NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU. She had multiple, flagrant affairs, tried to keep your 6 year old from seeing you out of sheer spite, and is selfish and manipulative, not in a temporarily alien-infested way but in a "always was, always will be" way.

So don't waste time on figuring out how things might have been different. Spend your energy figuring out how to PICK better next time - I think you're already getting a pretty good grasp on how you can be better next time.
Ellie
Posted By: Glenda_aka_kc Re: I love autumn! - 09/27/06 04:30 AM
To Ellie's comment, I'll just add "ditto."
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/28/06 01:02 AM
Ellie, Glenda,
Quote:

your wife's issues have NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU.

Thanks, my T said much the same tonight. I just don't want to miss the lessons and have to go through them again, KWIM?

Not much to update. Gotta get some rest.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: WindyCityBeth Re: I love autumn! - 09/28/06 02:26 AM
Joe -

I so agree with Ellie, Glenda, and your T. As you see from looking at my thread recently, the great thing about posting here is you get such wonderful advice from people who have walked the walk and can look at our situations without emotional involvement. It's how we give great advice but sometimes have trouble following it ourselves. We are caught up in our own sitches in such a personal and emotional way. It's hard to look at it from the right perspective. That's why we learn so much here.

I need some rest too. Sleep well!!!

WCB
Posted By: Underdog Re: I love autumn! - 09/28/06 02:51 PM
Hi Joe,

Sorry we didn't get more than a minute last night... you sounded awfully tired. (((((Joe)))))

Anyway, D12 and I were watching the news together this morning. The girl who was murdered was a varsity volleyball player with a twin brother. We were both really sad... I'm just wondering how that transient guy got in the school to begin with. Very sad.

Thanks for your caring call!

Hugs,

Betsey
Posted By: FiatLux Re: I love autumn! - 09/28/06 04:00 PM
Quote:

I can almost do a flip.

You da man!

I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy! How cool is that, huh?

Your kids will profit greatly from your continuing to feed and express that inner child, Joe.

Best,

Gabe
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/29/06 03:03 PM
Beth,
Quote:

We are caught up in our own sitches in such a personal and emotional way. It's hard to look at it from the right perspective. That's why we learn so much here.

Ain't that the truth? If I could follow the kind of advice I've given people, here and elsewhere, I'd be doing much better overall.

Seeing examples of people who are doing things right helps. Sometimes knowing I'm not the only one who's made mistakes helps, too.

Betsey,
Quote:

Sorry we didn't get more than a minute last night... you sounded awfully tired. (((((Joe)))))

I was tired. It had been a long day. Thanks for the cyber-hug.

I tried again to reach you last night. We'll catch up one of these days.

Gabe,
Quote:

Your kids will profit greatly from your continuing to feed and express that inner child, Joe.

Well, if he keeps eating the way he has, I'm gonna need a new belt! Naw, I'll just burn it off on the trampoline!

Quick update, since I'm so late for work this morning.

Kitty took a serious turn for the worse. She was so listless this morning that I called the vet. I just got back without her from the appointment. I called D11 to let her know how sick her cat is in case she wanted to see her again. The vet doesn't think kitty's prognosis is good. (TSO, if you're reading, her temp is 91°F.) Maybe I wasn't descriptive enough about how much blood she lost. Then again, I don't know how much bleeding she did away from the house between the morning when she was bitten and the afternoon when the kids found her.

I hope she'll be ok.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 09/29/06 03:59 PM
Kitty didn't make it. I wasn't out of the subdivivion before the vet called. I called D11 again. I went to the vets' office and Puffer was gone for all intents and purposes before I got there. I'd had a feeling she wasn't going to come home when I left this morning, so I'm glad I "said goodbye" then.

Now I need to go earn some money today.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: psluke Re: I love autumn! - 09/29/06 04:07 PM
Oh Joe,

I'm so sorry that is so rough.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Joe }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Posted By: MicheleTW Re: I love autumn! - 09/29/06 05:57 PM
Joe, I'm so sorry about your cat. You were good to give her so much love and care -- how is your daughter doing?

Talk with you soon,
Michele
Posted By: MicheleTW Re: I love autumn! - 09/30/06 07:53 PM
Joe, I've been thinking about you and wanted to just mention something after our brief phone chat this morning (D10's team lost the game, btw).

We send cues to our kids about how they are to be around us and our Xs by the way WE are around our Xs. If we are uncomfortable, the kids will be uncomfortable. If we appear calm, cool and collected, then the kids will be, too.

If you are easy about seeing them off to school when XW picks them up, then they will be, too. If you are comfortable calling them when they're with you, then they will be comfortable, too. If you can say hi and be civil to XW, they can relax. I bet you would relax. And she would relax.

When we get stuck in "It shouldn't BE this way!" then we resist living the way that it IS. It IS this. It IS divorce. It IS shared custody. It IS the way your life is going to be for at least 11 years, until S7 is 18.

We don't have to say that it was the right thing to have happened... only that it's the state of play and we have to accept it.

I think it's in DB, but someone has to go first...to help the others be comfortable... and that someone may have to be you. But the net result will be a happier family. And a happier Joe.

Your friend,
Michele
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 10/01/06 03:54 AM
Pam,

Thank you for the cyber hug. It was a very difficult day, as I'm sure you know.

Michele,

Thank you, too, for your kindness. As I mentioned this morning, I'll see more of D11's reaction (and the boys' reactions) when the kids get home.

Sorry about the soccer game. I heard the weather report as I crossed the river and was wondering if they'd play at all.
Quote:

I think it's in DB, but someone has to go first...to help the others be comfortable... and that someone may have to be you. But the net result will be a happier family. And a happier Joe.

It's in the "Why do I have to be the one to change?" section, isn't it? I suppose it's because I'm the one who wants change to happen. I wanted change in 2002 when I got us into MC. I wanted change in 2004 when I first logged on here. I got a lot of change since then, too.

Hmmmm. Wasn't there a school of British philosophy in the last half of the twentieth century which held that "you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need?"

You're making a lot of sense, again, friend, and I'm gearing up to try being "more than civil, if less than friendly" toward XW tomorrow. I like the way your pattern played out these past few weeks. I like what that must do for the stress levels you all feel. I want that kind of peace for my family, so let's see what happens.

Update:

Another kitty showed up with a limp for breakfast today. I took him inside (he was quarantined earlier this year after a bite) and went over his leg very carefully. There's no sign of any wound, and his limp is slight. So I'll let him rest inside, away from the others and from anything that might scare him. If he's not doing better early next week, I'll get him a regular appointment. I miss time at work anyway when the kids are home, so I'd be "missing less" by scheduling him then.

I went into work, and it was productive yet frustrating. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time there after the kids leave next week. Our deadline is coming up in about three weeks, and I don't want to be responsible for holding the team back. Some things we needed in July came to us in September, and the folks who worked with them made some changes. Now I need to adapt my previous work to that.

How's that for avoiding jargon?

So the day started all grey. There was some drizzle by the time I got to work, and the weather forecasts online called for rain this afternoon and evening. But I looked up one time and saw a sunny day out the window. The revised forecasts didn't mention rain. The Mets were playing in DC, and I hadn't seen a game since our last family trip to Shea four years ago. Then I got $20 in food vouchers from a woman who couldn't use them before they expire after Sunday's game. So I cut out of work earlier than I originally planned and took myself out to the ballgame.

What a great game! Well, for the Mets and their fans, anyway. Five different Mets hit homers, Tom Glavine scattered three hits over 6 shutout innings, and the final score was 13-0. There were a lot of Mets fans there, and I chatted with some on the subway ride to get back to my car. I had my Guinness (yum!), I took a bunch of pictures (or clicked the button on the camera. We'll have to see how they look when I upload them), I saw my first official game at RFK (I'd been to several exhibitions back when they were used as proof that DC could/would support a team), and I just relaxed like I haven't in a long time.

So that was good.

I noticed the couples at the game. There were some with kids, some married (or wearing rings, anyway), some holding hands. Two couples sat in front of me just after the game started, and the two women sat next to one another. I wondered why? They didn't do a lot of chatting, nor did the guys.

A woman with a small child sat next to me. Her daughter was probably around 4 years old. She (the daughter) kept making up neat stuff by watching the big screen, calling the score by the uniform number of a player, for instance. The woman didn't seem to know much about the game, either, because she asked me after looking at the scoreboard what the score was. Then she and her daughter would cheer and clap each time I did for the next couple innings until she realized that I was cheering for the Mets. I wonder why they were there if neither of them knew enough to follow the game and they didn't go with someone who did.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 10/01/06 02:34 PM
Quote:

We are able to grieve our losses because we accept them. We have chosen them. Now we move to the next season of our lives.

I took that from today's reading in "Touchstones." Woulda made a great way to introduce this thread, wouldn't it?

October is a beginning time for me. Always has been. I did not choose to break up the family, but I did choose to end the destructive pattern we were in by filing in the summer, 2005.

More later.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 10/02/06 02:26 AM
The kids are home. D11 blamed me for PP's death. She doesn't like her school pictures, but XW has cut out a picture, so I'm not sure I can get the photo package replaced. I'll call tomorrow and see.

Two weeks ago XW sent S7 home in a sleeveless shirt and no shoes. Today she sent him in an undershirt. His homework was in his backpack, incomplete.

He was not a very happy camper. He yelled that I should "go marry somebody else and go away." You ever try to keep a straight face and listen to an upset child when you're laughing on the inside? Apparently when I marry someone else, then I'll go live somewhere else and become his step Dad. Hmm, what strange ideas. He went on to tell me that I should "just die" since "everyone hates you. It's easier at Mom's house because everyone hates you there." It turns out that everyone hates me because I revoke trampoline privileges for certain infractions, like name-calling, hitting, etc.

Well, I did listen and things settled down by the time he took his shower. After that we read from his library book. Once he was in bed, I had a chat with D11. I told her all about the events of Friday morning, and I think she feels better knowing that PP was not in pain.

S14 seems to have the easiest time moving back and forth. I hope he's come to terms with the anger he felt when XW left.

Back to accepting the loss I chose. One point of the meditation was that when we choose healthy behaviors, we necessarily give up the unhealthy ones, and the "relief" they provided from the real work we needed to do. Now I have no one here to ask for help. (I almost wrote "to cover my back" but in truth, XW didn't anyway.) I need to make the home the kids will have here as best I can. I don't regret divorcing her. I'd be in better shape if I'd changed the locks, emptied the accounts, and filed the day she left, but I don't regret continuing to try to "save" the M. I don't know how I'd live with myself if I hadn't kept trying as long as I did. I wasn't a model DBer by any means, but I know in my heart that I kept trying, going back to 2002, until I had nothing left to give.

I feel once again that the best possible R with her is the one with the least possible contact. Let her do her thing, so long as no one hurts the children, and keep her out of my life as much as possible. In "The Sociopath Next Door" Dr. Stout recommends avoiding persons without conscience. I expect that like any other XYZ Disorder, that's on a continuum, too, but I do feel that XW is close enough to the far end that distance is the best approach.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: kml Re: I love autumn! - 10/02/06 03:16 AM
Quote:

She doesn't like her school pictures, but XW has cut out a picture, so I'm not sure I can get the photo package replaced. I'll call tomorrow and see.

Don't send them back! Who cares if D doesn't like the pictures - they'll be priceless when she's grown.

Ellie
Posted By: Glenda_aka_kc Re: I love autumn! - 10/02/06 03:48 AM
K, were the pictures horribly expensive? If not, I would just check to see if she can have pictures at retakes and see if she likes them better. Retakes were not something schools did during my growing up years and I look at some of my pictures and cringe BUT when I look at that face I see way more of my kids and grandkids than I ever thought I would.

DIL yesterday was saying how much she had wanted a little girl who looked like her....instead she said she has a little girl who looks like me. It was not said in an unkind way by any means and I did laugh and agree with her that I seem to have VERY dominant genes but I am sure K will look like her, too, and she does have beautiful blue eyes like her mom.

I think it is just very hard for the baby of the family and young boys. My D and her SO have tons of problems with his youngest who is turning 8 on 10/7. He gets in trouble in school, he spews hateful things, and both D and her SO get very upset with this. When he is at his mom's, his older brother who is 14 does all the laundry for the kids, cooks, and makes sure they get their homework done. Mom just doesn't have time? Daughter's SO pays a considerable amount in child support and pays for a nanny in addition so I'm not sure why there is no time. But, the kids are pretty much neglected there, to hear it from the kids and from the nanny so I'm guessing a lot of it is correct information. SO also has cut back his scheduled work to only working weekends in the ER so he can take kids to school in the morning, pick kids up, and provide transportation for ALL the kids extracurricular. I'm not sure why he pays a nanny and then does all of this but I think it has to do with him feeling guilt that a parent is not more involved with the kids. Their agreement (his W wanted the D) was that he would give her 100% physical custody (her request) and up his hours worked so he could pay her extra child support. The extra child support is still being paid. But, I lost sight of my point here, S7 is having a horrible time. He says he hates it at D and SO because there are parental controls on the TV, structured dinner time, structured homework time, etc., but I think the two ends of the spectrum, structure to none at all, are just too much to handle. I don't think I could handle it, yet the courts expect it from the children.

K, keep up all the good things you do for your kids. I know it is so hard now but when they are grown they WILL appreciate you and hopefully will let you know they appreciated always knowing you love them.

kc
Posted By: FiatLux Re: I love autumn! - 10/02/06 01:41 PM
Hey there Joe,

Sounds like a rough transition. Kids of D have it tough, don't they. Yet, the beauty of your sitch is that after a day or so of transition, they still have several days to enjoy with you.

You seem to be burning the candle at both ends. Are you doing anything fun or for self-care during their weeks away?

BTW, spoke to Kev. He may not be able to make it in Nov. How about you?

Gabe
Posted By: Dmsw4 Re: I love autumn! - 10/02/06 06:59 PM
Parental Alienation

Joe, I've been thinking about your last post, how the kids were acting when they got to your house and then heard something on the radio about this.....

"legal strategy called Parental Alienation..."

I don't want to kick up a pile of worms, but is she TRYING to alienate the kids? If so, does she realize that it usually backfires and the courts usually side with the parent being conspired AGAINST? Her name is Lisa MacElroy. She's a guest on Satellite Sisters today.
Posted By: MicheleTW Re: I love autumn! - 10/02/06 07:39 PM
I think this Parental Alienation thing is very scary. I just read the webpage Barb recommended (btw, I LOVE the Satellite Sisters!) -- I think this is another way some folks can continue in a victim role. For instance, if a WA is deeply unconscious and his fantasy of what life would be like when he is finally free of that shrew of a wife isn't turning out the way he planned, he could read normal unhappiness on the part of his children about the D as "Parental Alienation."

In my case, my XH could allege Parental Alienation because the kids don't want to go to his house where there are no other children, no TV, nothing to do, and they are not cared for. The fact that XH CHOSE to live 45 miles away would not even enter his mind. The fact that he left his wife for another woman and his kids have feelings about that would not play into the scenario. Rather, he would latch onto Parental Alienation as a way to excuse his own behavior and lay more blame on me. There is no way he'd take blame himself.

It's really hard to parent thru a D. It's really hard to parent thru a spouse's MLC. The offending parent is sketchy, unreliable, a will 'o the wisp. This affects kids. And I also think we LBS parents make some mistakes in parenting. Often this comes when we hear that our X does This as a parent so we take the 180 position and do That. He takes them to Disney Land? We take them to the county fair. He buys them whatever they want at Best Buy? We make them scrub toilets.

We are just as much in the wrong as the LBS. We should parent the way WE want to parent, regardless of how the X is parenting. To parent in the affirmative, rather than in reaction to someone else's choices.

As I said to you before, Joe, we set the tone. When we choose to act in ways we can be proud of, we'll always be right. When we act in a certain way with our kids to make a point to our former spouse, we are acting from fear rather than love. We are using our kids, and that is unforgivable.

-- Michele
Posted By: Dmsw4 Re: I love autumn! - 10/02/06 10:34 PM
It was really scary, I thought. They were zeroing in on men (not always) who may have been abusive to their wives and children. They go to court because the wife is, understandably, frightened to leave her children alone with him, and he accuses her of alienating his children against him. He shows up for court calm, cool, and collected. The Xwife shows up frightened, upset, seemingly unreasonable. The judge sees him as calm, her as crazy, and he sides with the man, sending the kids to live with the man she was trying to keep the kids away from.

I can see that sometimes, the court gets it right and the father is really the best choice...the scary part I thought was when a really rotten guy ends up with custody of the kids. Sounds like a Lifetime movie of the week.

Valerie Bertinelli plays righteously crazy really well
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 10/03/06 01:33 AM
Ellie,
Quote:

Don't send them back! Who cares if D doesn't like the pictures - they'll be priceless when she's grown.

We paid for retouching, and D11 complains there are a lot of zits on her forehead. I think what really bothers her is they didn't touch the scar from her dog bite at all, though.

Glenda,
Quote:

He says he hates it at D and SO because there are parental controls on the TV, structured dinner time, structured homework time, etc., but I think the two ends of the spectrum, structure to none at all, are just too much to handle. I don't think I could handle it, yet the courts expect it from the children.

That sounds familiar. But S7 was much better after he took a shower and we read from his library book. I have to give the kids some slack to make the adjustment each week.
Quote:

keep up all the good things you do for your kids. I know it is so hard now but when they are grown they WILL appreciate you and hopefully will let you know they appreciated always knowing you love them.

All I can do is try to show them that I love them. I don't have a wide screen HDTV, I don't have two motorcycles, I don't have a lot of the material things and glamorous things that XW has. I will have more material things in a few years, with the help of God as I straighten out my finances, but I still don't want to be caught in a "Battle of the Bribes" to borrow S14's terminology.

By the time of the D, about all I had left was me, myself, and I. So that's what I have to offer them.

Gabe,
Quote:

Sounds like a rough transition. Kids of D have it tough, don't they. Yet, the beauty of your sitch is that after a day or so of transition, they still have several days to enjoy with you.

I try to remember how good it is to have them with me this much. There are so many Dads who don't get to see their kids as much as I see mine. Sometimes it's hard to be thankful, because I feel something else, but the truth is that I have something precious.
Quote:

You seem to be burning the candle at both ends. Are you doing anything fun or for self-care during their weeks away?

I did get to the ballgame Saturday night. That was fun. It was only the second time I'd ever gone to a game alone, and for some reason it was a lot more fun than the first time. The first time I was at the Metrodome while in Minneapolis for work, and I was missing my wife and baby S14. That was probably part of the difference.

I suppose I need to find some more ways to have fun when the kids are away. I'm so tired of working on non-custodial Saturdays and holidays, but I still may work on Columbus Day to bank a few hours I can take off at Halloween.
Quote:

BTW, spoke to Kev. He may not be able to make it in Nov. How about you?

I called him this afternoon and he's still undecided. I'm better than 80% sure that I'll be there. I didn't try to book a January flight with my voucher this weekend, but I did check the flights BWI<->JAX and they're still pretty reasonable. I'll work on clearing this up this week so you'll know how to plan the beer stocks.

Barb,
Quote:

I don't want to kick up a pile of worms, but is she TRYING to alienate the kids?

I read that stuff last summer when S7 was "away." It is scary, and to some extent, I do believe she does things like that. I mentioned to my T when S14 was in SC this summer that D11 seemed to have filled the role of "anger bearer" which had been S14's most of the summer. (He seems less manipulable now.) I felt that XW passed anger to the kids to carry back home to me.

Just today, even before seeing your post, I mentioned to Kev that maybe trying to undercut me in the kids' minds "appeals" (for lack of a better term) to XW because she can't "undo" abandoning them. She can't change the fact that I have been a source of stability, from staying here, to keeping them in their schools (till she took S7), to keeping the only house they remembered as home, to continuing the Halloween party and Christmas newsletter/card traditions, etc.

I also told Kev about S7's reaction in the convo last night. When he (S7, not Kev ) said that I "should go marry somebody else" so I could be "his stepdad," I told him, "If your mother marries somebody, he will be your stepfather." S7's face wrinkled up in a strange way that I couldn't decipher. Was he thinking about some particular guy?

Anyway, I did read some from that site again tonight. I must be very, very careful. A couple things I have learned in T are that I can fall into a trap of seeing demons and dangers everywhere, and on the other hand I can fall into an equally powerful trap of "minimizing" truly abusive situations.

For my part, I do believe that XW is somewhere in the unhealthy range of Dr. Stout's sociopathy description. One of the things that I used to tell myself, going way back in the R, was that XW's apparent lack of empathy was just a protection she used because she had been so hurt. I believe now that it's more than that.

But that's just me. I have to remember that I'm not a clincally detached trained professional. And I have to remember that she has shown certain patterns in her behaviors which are unlikely to change without some T for her.

Isn't this balancing exactly the kind of thing I should have learned in my own youth?

Michele,
Quote:

The fact that XH CHOSE to live 45 miles away would not even enter his mind. The fact that he left his wife for another woman and his kids have feelings about that would not play into the scenario.

Isn't that the danger of letting us laypeople have access to the labels? I would hope that if XH were to try something like that, S13's opinion would weigh heavily with the court. He's old enough in your jurisdiction to say where he wants to live now, isn't he? Also, wouldn't XH need to show more evidence that you actively interfered in his visitation, etc?
Quote:

And I also think we LBS parents make some mistakes in parenting.

I know I do. Even before the S and the D I made mistakes. I'm tooting my own horn when I say that I try to correct the ones that I can. I remember early in the S when XMIL told me that XW "is not a very nurturing person. She just isn't. Neither was I. I got it from my mother, and I passed it on to her." This notion of XMIL's that people cannot change baffles me. I've seen people make tremendous changes in their lives by facing their "issues," learning them, and learning from them.

It just hit me as I was typing this that XMIL's position makes perfect sense if one is deeply unconcious and committed to staying that way.

Ok, we're up way too late finishing homework tonight because I was at religious education with S7. I want to get around and visit all the fun discussions on your threads, too, sometime.

Final note: I overheard D11 on the phone tonight. XW is in Denver. Beware, Bets!

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: Glenda_aka_kc Re: I love autumn! - 10/03/06 05:21 AM
K, I know you see plenty of evidence here on the BB, but I'm only going to weigh in and say people can change.

I have changed a lot in the last couple of years, through sheer determination. A friend once told me I am tenacious, to which I replied that was not a label I preferred since sticky mucus is tenacious.

People can change. I believe I almost didn't make it with this bomb, BUT I have a lot of people on this BB and a few local angels to thank for their tireless listening skills, some whacks with a 2 x 4, and wonderful suggestions. With my desire to put my family back together and my guilt that the mess was somehow all my fault I put in a lot of determination to change, and I look in the mirror today and the image that looks back at me is so different from two years ago. Heck, two years ago I wouldn't look in a mirror.

I bet there isn't one person in hopefulness (and in lots of other areas of this BB) that has not changed in their time here. Joe, you have changed a LOT, have come to understand more about yourself, and have grown with your situation -- a horribly painful place to be that you didn't ask for.

I am a very opinionated "rulz" girl but I think saying one cannot change is an excuse to not put forth any effort. Cheers to you for all the growth and change you have experienced!
Posted By: Livnlearn Change - 10/03/06 08:45 AM
99.9% of us here are LBS, who tried so many things to save our marriages, so yes, we are open to change.

The WAs on the other hand, are usually NOT into changing THEMSELVES, seeking instead to change their external circumstances, including their spouses, and sloughing of responsibilities.

And never the twain shall meet.

Livnlearn
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 10/09/06 12:58 AM
Glenda,
Quote:

I bet there isn't one person in hopefulness (and in lots of other areas of this BB) that has not changed in their time here. Joe, you have changed a LOT, have come to understand more about yourself, and have grown with your situation -- a horribly painful place to be that you didn't ask for.

I see a lot of change, good, productive change, in the people who seem to want it. Here and elsewhere.

I was thinking earlier this week that being where I am now was probably not possible if XW had stayed. I might have continued to play the same tired, old role in the same tired, old games with her. I'm farther along in being someone I want to be, someone I'm glad I can be, because I'm not tied to her now.

LNL,
Quote:

The WAs on the other hand, are usually NOT into changing THEMSELVES

I wonder if XMIL would have become a WAW had her H lived long enough. Oh, well, I guess we'll never know. But I do see more and more similarities between XW and XMIL as time goes on.

Update:

Wow, can'it be nearly a week since I've been here? What a week it was, too!

Monday night I was up with D11 working on homework until after 11:00. It wasn't all Monday's homework; some of it was a project assigned the previous week. She had waited until the day before it was due to start on it.

Two weeks ago I had spoken with her teachers about signing off on her homework in her assignment book. She copies the assignment into that book, and the teachers sign/initial/stamp it before she leaves the classroom. They appreciate knowing that parents are checking that. I wrote up a summary of the discussion, including the request to sign off on homework, which I showed to XW when she came to get the kids that Sunday. When D11 told me this project had been assigned a week earlier, I looked back in her assignment book. You'll never guess whose mother hasn't signed anything in her book.

D11's school C called me at work on Tuesday. The teachers were not seeing the kind of improvement that they'd hoped to see after the last discussion, and they wanted to meet as a group. I asked for a time as early in the morning or as late in the afternoon as possible. They booked us for Thursday afternoon at 3:00. That night I emailed to XW a summary of that conversation and the schedule for the conference with the teachers.

Thursday morning was the kids' C appointment. When we jumped in the car and I turned the key, I did not see the kind of response I hoped to see from the battery. So I pushed it a ways and caught it in gear. C's office is two doors down from the shop where I get most work done. I left the car running while we went into the office, then S7 and I rode over to see about getting a new battery. I expected to buy it and take it home, but they were able to get someone working on it while the kids were in with C. It did delay the commute a tad more than usual, but nothing terrible.

Leaving work in time for the 3:00 appointment made a mess of the day's time, though. I had been doing pretty well, for a custodial week, but I worked 2½ hours on Thursday.

I had never heard back from XW after I emailed her about the conference, so I was a bit surprised to see her there. When I parked my car, I had forgotten some of the forms that C sent for the teachers to fill out. When I turned back from getting them, XW was across the parking lot. She had been sitting there waiting, apparently.

So I started walking up the parking lot, and durned if I didn't think to myself, "Who do I want to be?" I walked up to XW and handed her a copy of the parent's form from C. She asked if I had the report from when D11 was in second grade and I told her that I'd sent for a copy.

Then she walked behind me. Even when I opened the door for her, she waited to get behind me after she went in. We had to wait a short while for the teachers, and XW ripped through the form for C, then handed it back to me.

The meeting with the teachers was about what I expected. There was only one small surprise, and it really wasn't that surprising as I think back on it. I was talking with D11's math teacher about the "on again/off again" level of understanding that D11 demonstrates. I said that she seems to get it, and does several consecutive problems correctly, then somehow "forgets" the mechanics and begins making careless mistakes. XW sounded angry as she blurted out, "That's because she learns conceptually and you all are trying to make her learn details." For a few moments no one spoke at all. Some of the teachers looked at me, and after a while I started talking to D11's math teacher again.

I get the feeling that D11 is in over her head in her math class. She thinks she can do it, but by the way she works she shows that she doesn't understand what she's doing yet. At the end of the first quarter, all of the sith graders will have changes in their schedules. Unless there are drastic improvements in D11's work, she'll probably move to a more preparatory math class. The only tricky part about it is that math is her first class of the day and the math teacher is her home room teacher.

I told D11 that night that we have to consider that she's not prepared for the work in her math class. She got angry. I explained that her work is not showing the results we should see from someone as bright as she is. She and I worked quite a bit on her Thursday night homework over the weekend (she misses her first and part of her second class for the C appointment every other Thursday).

S7 opened some more of his birthday presents this weekend, including a pair of "disc guns" that shoot little foam rubber discs. Guess what he and I did in between helping D11 with homework last night? We had a blast chasing each other around the basement and up the stairs.

Party prep has begun for the famous Halloween party. I printed about 40 invitations today and will have to print more tomorrow. I'm hoping to keep the party outdoors this year. It's a lot easier to clean up with a rake than with a mop.

After the kids left tonight I thought about how different my life is when they're not here. When they are here, I have more work than I have time. When they're not, I'm not sure what I have. My schedule goes all over the place. I'll be at work tomorrow, even though it's a holiday for my client, but I won't be in the usual rush hours, to or fro. I'll be doing all the pet care and feeding, but I won't have to hear complaints about my dinner choices. It must be difficult for the kids to go back and forth like this if it's still such a hassle for me. I remember when I was in college and working the graveyard shift at a local hotel. That was a weird set of hours, and the only answer that ever made sense to the question, "How do you get used to working overnight?" was "You get used to not getting used to it." That's how I feel about this custody situation. I'm getting used to not getting used to it.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: kml Re: I love autumn! - 10/09/06 01:27 AM
Quote:

I was talking with D11's math teacher about the "on again/off again" level of understanding that D11 demonstrates. I said that she seems to get it, and does several consecutive problems correctly, then somehow "forgets" the mechanics and begins making careless mistakes. XW sounded angry as she blurted out, "That's because she learns conceptually and you all are trying to make her learn details." For a few moments no one spoke at all. Some of the teachers looked at me, and after a while I started talking to D11's math teacher again.

LOL!!! Little details like the right answer????

That being said - some things to consider about D11s math class:

- if you can emphasize it's not a punishment or a failure to take a less advanced class, she may benefit from a change. My D was in an advanced math track, took ppre-algebra in 6th grade, then ended up taking honors pre-algebra in 7th grade rather than advancing to algebra. She really benefitted from that extra year.

- make sure she isn't weak on some fundamentals. They don't make kids chant the times table like the nuns did when I was in grade school, I'm always surprised at my brilliant, well-educated kids not knowing their times tables as well as they should. She may be getting the concept but messing up on the basic math.

Ellie
Posted By: Glenda_aka_kc Re: I love autumn! - 10/09/06 01:54 AM
K, I think I remember you saying D11 is ADHD? One thing I noticed being back in school (college) after a long absence is that for whatever reason I do not learn the same way other people seem to learn. Fortunately, I had a professor who could take the same type of problem and go about solving it several different ways. Sometimes I didn't get it even then. One thing I noticed about me is that I have to put in every step. I lose the positives and negatives very easily. I had a wonderful friend (political science major and math minor -- how different is that) who seemed to realize even better than I did how the math part of my brain works. Our professor, P. T., would get very frustrated with me sometimes and my friend, also a K, would pipe up and say, "Never mind, P.T., she's never going to get it that way. Just go on and I'll explain it to her later." And, when she did the light bulb always went on. Chemistry was the same way. Very math based. I notice that my kids leave out a lot of the steps in solving a problem and I was asked in college why I didn't just figure that out in my head and skip that step. It was always because if I didn't get the right answer I couldn't figure out where I messed up. There were times in chemistry I didn't get the right answer and my prof remarked how much he liked that I wrote out every step. If I had the correct formula and proceeded in the right direction, he always gave me partial credit. I'm not sure if that is good or bad but most of the kids I was in class with didn't really understand how to do what they were doing, they programmed all the formulas into their calculators. I had to learn what and why and memorize a lot of stuff since I couldn't figure out how to program the calculator to do it for me.

I know you are very mathematical. Is there some way to show D11 a few different methods of figuring out the solution? Or, does she include each step so she can go back over her tracks if she needs to?

Just a thought. I know ADD/ADHD can influence how you learn more than just not being able to sit still.

Glenda
Posted By: Livnlearn Re: I love autumn! - 10/09/06 07:42 AM
Quote:

When they're not, I'm not sure what I have

What you have is Joe time - use it!
Posted By: MicheleTW Re: I love autumn! - 10/09/06 03:51 PM
Joe, I'll bet that if I gave you an assessment which I use from time to time, you'd come out with a strong trait toward belongingness or connection. Would you agree? My guess is that your need for belongingness and connection is largely fulfilled via your parenting. So when you are without your children, you have less of a feeling of connection.

What can you do to have belongingness which exists outside of your children? Friends, volunteer work, bowling (like Barb!), church...

I know, I know, it's hard to do when you have parenting responsibilities every other week. But that is also a convenient excuse to stay right inside our comfort zone!

Let me tell you a secret: when we derive all our belongingness from our R with our kids, we set ourselves up for one helluva empty nest problem. Plus, that's a lot for the kids to bear -- the weight of our need for connection.

Perhaps if you had your belongingness need met outside your family, you'd have a better adjustment when they're away.

Just my two cents,
Michele
Posted By: Dmsw4 Re: I love autumn! - 10/09/06 05:27 PM
Take Michele for example. When her kids are away, she makes eyes at naughty french men across a crowded room...just to keep in practice
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 10/10/06 02:21 AM
OK, I apologize for this "post and run" style replies. Tonight was supposed to be my "catch up on others' threads" night!

Ellie,
Quote:

if you can emphasize it's not a punishment or a failure to take a less advanced class, she may benefit from a change.
make sure she isn't weak on some fundamentals.

I tried to present it as a "correction" in her scheduling. It's not a punishment, but I did tell her she would have to do much better right away to avoid the change. She seemed determined that night that she would (during our bedtime chat), but at homework time Saturday, she was not all that interested.

She doesn't know times tables like we learned them. I do see it slowing her calculations. What she's missing right now are the concepts. I didn't do so well in my first algebra classes, but in college (and still today) I loved abstract algebra. When the concepts fall into place for her, the details will be self-evident.

Glenda,
Quote:

I was asked in college why I didn't just figure that out in my head and skip that step. It was always because if I didn't get the right answer I couldn't figure out where I messed up. There were times in chemistry I didn't get the right answer and my prof remarked how much he liked that I wrote out every step. If I had the correct formula and proceeded in the right direction, he always gave me partial credit.

I always showed all the work, too. Just like you, I was able to follow my own logic that way and I had some teachers who gave partial credit for the parts I did correctly when they could see what I had done.

D11 skips steps, and I don't know why. She doesn't understand why the steps are there, so she probably doesn't have a good reason to skip any.

LNL,
Quote:

What you have is Joe time - use it!

Yeah, but how? I'm still playing catch up on the bills from the S and the D so when the kids are away, I'm usually working at least some extra time. Recently I haven't made up all the time I miss with their schedules (and the pets' appointments/crises), but I still try to make up time. Time is money, and time off is money I don't get.

Michele.
Quote:

Joe, I'll bet that if I gave you an assessment which I use from time to time, you'd come out with a strong trait toward belongingness or connection. Would you agree?

Yup. I'll have more questions for you about that assessment later. I do wonder what the difference is between "a strong trait toward belongingness or connection" and an unhealthy "need" for external validation.

Barb,
Quote:

Take Michele for example. When her kids are away, she makes eyes at naughty french men across a crowded room...just to keep in practice :

Yeah, why don't I get invites to the parties where unattached women are making eyes across the room. Maybe it's because je ne parle pas français? Mais je parle irlandais très bien.

I did work today and I'm officially caught up. Caught up for the one 2½ hour day from last week, that is. I still need to make up the time from all the other days. Life is grand.

I spent a zillion hours working on invitations and envelopes tonight. As soon as I check the Postal Service web site for regs on extra postage and size of envelopes, I'm off to la-la land.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: kml Re: I love autumn! - 10/10/06 02:42 AM
Quote:

D11 skips steps, and I don't know why. She doesn't understand why the steps are there, so she probably doesn't have a good reason to skip any.

Sometimes it's because they don't understand the steps. Sometimes it's because they are figuring itout in a different way. My oldest son had trouble with math classes at about this age, because he "just knew" the answer and couldn't explain how he got there. He always had very strong spatial skills, and I hear that many famous mathematicians have unconventional thinking skills.

Anyway, S19 got a perfect 800 on math on his SATs.

Ellie
Posted By: Livnlearn Re: I love autumn! - 10/10/06 06:47 AM
Quote:

My oldest son had trouble with math classes at about this age, because he "just knew" the answer and couldn't explain how he got there.

Ellie, this made me smile. While I am no mathematical genius, I liked maths at school and often found I could come up with the answer intuitively. I hated those problems when you had to prove why something was so, I wanted to answer - It's just obvious !
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 10/15/06 05:12 PM
Ellie, LNL.

D11 isn't figuring things out a different way. She just doesn't understand. She called me for help with her work in math, one night this week. Of course, I didn't have my phone with me. I called her back later that night and again the next day, but the first call was at her bedtime and the second was during her play rehearsal so I didn't reach her.

I did see her at her dance Friday night, wheree I seem to be an established figure now as the "Stairs Cop." I spent the early part of that night telling middle school kids in costumes, "Slow down!"

Last month they were using the normal stairwells. Friday night they used the seating in the gym, which opens to the cafeteria. Those stairs are much steeper, and a lot of the kids were in costume, so I wondered more than once if I would have to catch a kid falling down the stairs.

It was a blast to see the kids at the dance, though. They had a lot of fun, and I saw some of the chaperones on the dance floor doing some of the dances, too.

This morning's sermon was all about forgiveness. Just what I needed to hear. Fr. Dan cited the examples of the Amish parents in Lancaster who set up a scholarship fund for the children of the gunman who shot and killed the Amish students. Kinda makes my struggle with forgiving XW look petty.

I'll save you the tales of communications from the schools about work undone this week. I get the calls and the letters because I registered the kids. It's not the school's job to keep track of the custody arrangement, so I pass the word on when they contact me and then get off the phone as quickly as possible. (I don't like sending email from work, at least not on this job, and waiting till the transfer isn't always best for the kids.) It just seems that there is no easy way to get this woman's influence out of my life. How hard can it be to check a notebook each night and see what homework is assigned?

Talking with my T this week she said that I have often told her in recent months that I have a good life. And I do. I know I do. Yet when I wake up and XW is sitting in front of my house, instead of feeling thankful for having a house, I feel resentment towards her. For a guy with a life as good as mine, that's a helluva way to start the day, isn't it?

I got two morningtime visits from D11 this week. The first time I'm pretty sure that XW sent her in for some reason. I had just eaten breakfast. D11 didn't seem to know why she was there when I opened the door. But we chatted a bit, I suggested she greet her cat, and then she left before the bus showed up.

The second time she came in to use the bathroom. I may have scared her when I answered the door in my old glasses. This was on Thursday which should have been my "make up the hours" day at work because I knew I'd leave by 4 for the dance on Friday. But that morning the frame of my glasses had broken. I dug an old pair out of my glove compartment. They're huge compared to the wire frames I've worn the last several years, and they're tinted. Not to mention the prescription is ancient. Now I take them off outside the car and away from the computer, but D11 was stunned when I answered the door wearing them that morning.

I learned Thursday afternoon that new glasses are expensive. I can see why people save for the Lasik surgery. It'd pay for itself in a few years.

Yesterday morning I slept in since I could go to work anytime I felt like. I treated myself to the last of my blueberries for the season in my breakfast. I hope we do even better next year if some of the new blueberry bushes bear fruit.

Once I left the office I did some running around to gather party supplies. All the pumpkin piñatas were gone, but besides that I did pretty well. We're supposed to split the decorations, so I'm going to ask XW to follow me back tonight so the kids and I can put up whatever we keep.

Not much else going on. This is the calm before the storm, with the Halloween party on tap for Saturday. So far I've only heard back from one of S14's classmates that they will be here. I'll check with him tonight to see if he's heard from any others. S7's class doesn't know about the party, since this is their first year invited. I hope we get a good turnout from them. D11 hand delivered her invitations because she has people to invite from several different classes but we can't get a list of students' addresses like we got for S7's class.

And my birthday is this week (the big 4-6), so the kids and I will probably go out to eat somewhere so I can skip cooking. Depends on how the party prep is coming along.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: Glenda_aka_kc Re: I love autumn! - 10/15/06 07:02 PM
Good luck with the party. I'm still trying to figure out if I should buy candy for trick or treating.
Posted By: Dmsw4 Re: I love autumn! - 10/16/06 11:17 AM
Wow Joe, that was a doozie. I want you to just imagine the day when you're kissing your sweetie good morning and sending her out the door when XW is waiting outside. I think a big part of the pain is that our spouses have moved on before we've had a chance to heal and move on ourselves. I'm not saying that is the answer, but I think it's a big part of the healing process. Imagine she's out there, you just haven't met her yet.

I didn't realize you were a fellow Libra. Mine was the 8th. Happy Birthday Joe! Another reason to love October. Sounds like the party is going to be a good one. Have fun with the planning.

B
Posted By: MicheleTW Re: I love autumn! - 10/16/06 02:43 PM
Joe, did you get the email I sent you? I got a bounce back notice to a strange email address... like one of those replicating programs... let me know, will you?

-- Michele
Posted By: Underdog Re: I love autumn! - 10/20/06 01:28 AM
Happy Birthday, Joe!!!!
Posted By: Glenda_aka_kc Re: I love autumn! - 10/20/06 03:16 AM
I'll toast to that --

Happy Birthday <;-)
Posted By: The_Colorado_Bulldog Re: I love autumn! - 10/20/06 01:47 PM
Feliz cumpleanos mi compadre!
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 10/21/06 12:47 PM
Glenda,
Quote:

Good luck with the party. I'm still trying to figure out if I should buy candy for trick or treating.

Thanks!

You could buy some Halloween pencils, erasers, etc. and less candy. You can always use any leftover pencils yourself if you don't get a lot of traffic.

Barb,
Quote:

I want you to just imagine the day when you're kissing your sweetie good morning and sending her out the door when XW is waiting outside.

There's a pleasant thought!

One of the things that bothers me is the idea that she's only there to watch me. There's no reason she couldn't let the kids wait for the bus there without her. I offered to let them wait here before and after school while she started looking for child care. (She never tried to find any until the school year was about to start.)

I don't like the idea that it would be fun for me to have her see me with someone else because that seems to me that I'd be with someone else in part to "get back" at XW or something. I don't like the idea, because I want to be "better" than that. It's like I'm not sure yet that I can trust myself and my own motivations to be in a new relationship, although friendship would be very nice right now. It's so complicated after D and I'm so concerned about "making sure" I don't make a mistake. Way too self concious or something.
Quote:

I didn't realize you were a fellow Libra.

Yeah, for what it's worth. When I read horoscopes it seemed that any or all of them could have fit me or any number of other people, so I don't bother anymore. Besides, the sun wasn't in Libra in October, 1960. Maybe in October, some thousands BC, but not 46 years ago.

Michele,

I sent you a message today. Ignore the mail I sent yesterday.

Betsey, Glenda, Kev,

Thanks for the birthday wishes. It was Thursday. I turned 46. The Mets started a rookie in Game Seven who was wearing 46 and looking sharp against the Cards. But it was not to be this year. I wasn't all that disappointed because I saw two rookie pitchers do very well in that series and that bodes well for the team's future. And I had gone to dinner with the kids that evening and had no dishes to clean up. Always a mood booster, that!

Today is Party Day, and I'm looking forward to the finish line this evening! After Christmas and their birthdays, this is the biggest deal of the year to the kids, so I want to make it a good one. For the first time I'll be making T-shirts, using the artwork D11 made for the invites. They'll be in the prizes box for kids, but if they go over well, maybe next year I'll make them for everyone!

I have no idea what size crowd to expect this time, so I'm going to go easy on the hot dogs until (if/when) the crowd starts getting large. S7 and I over stuffed a piñata last night. I need the kids to make some "pin the nose on the pumpkin" kinds of decorations, and I need to do some more cleaning here. The party will be outside in this stunningly beautiful, autumn weather (Thanks again, God!) so I can do the clean up with a rake and a hose , but people will still need bathrooms!

Now I need to go get the kids in gear. They're on the trampoline and they won't do a lick of work while I'm on the computer. Oh, yeah, I need to have S14 help me move the trampoline so I don't have to try to watch over it, too!

Thanks,

Spooky Joe
Posted By: psluke Re: I love autumn! - 10/21/06 02:58 PM
Joe,

Hope it is a great party and of course that you survive!!!!

Fall parties in this gorgeous weather are the best!
Posted By: Dmsw4 Re: I love autumn! - 10/21/06 08:13 PM
I guess I wasn't thinking of it as a way to "get back at her" or anything like that, I guess I was just thinking that there will be a time when you have a new love in your life and it will do wonders to make this pain a thing in the distant past.

I hope the party is great. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 10/22/06 01:57 AM
Pam,
Quote:

Fall parties in this gorgeous weather are the best! [

I do love the fall. I used to go back to PA every year at this time. I'd meet old friends, take the kids to get pumpkins and to ride a steam train, see the valley in its fall attire as we rode down the mountain. I may have to make the trip without the kids, just to make the trip again.

I'll be writing to ask about this "digger" asleep behind me. It was just a very busy week.

Barb,
Quote:

I guess I wasn't thinking of it as a way to "get back at her" or anything like that, I guess I was just thinking that there will be a time when you have a new love in your life and it will do wonders to make this pain a thing in the distant past.

I knew when I posted that comment that I was being unclear. I did not think you were suggesting I should get into an R to "get back at her." You're way too classy a lady.

But this is the kind of thing that goes through my head. I'll be working in the yard, for instance. It's way too much for me. It was a hobby and an escape for XW, and she worked part-time or not at all the last several years before the bomb, so she had a lot of time to spend on it. So when I'm working on trying to tend plants I can't name and I wonder if another woman someday will want to plant something here, then I wonder whether XW will get all worked up over someone else working in "her garden." Then I tell myself that if the thought of someone else working in the yard and upsetting XW is part of the motivation to have another R, I'm obviously not ready for an R.

I can't think of what a new R will be like without thinking of how XW will react, which is strange in itself, since there's no reason for her to react at all. She got what she wanted.

If I think about what I'm thinking, then I will think about thinking about what I'm thinking, etc. If I avoid thinking, I can't escape the feeling that I'm hiding from myself.

I'm still being unclear, I see.

I kept my eyes on the finish line and then S14 and his friends moved the darn thing! The party was way past quitting time (too late, really, for S7 and his classmates so I'm moving back to an afternoon to evening schedule in '07) yet S14 and his chums were still running loose in the neighborhood. As I was bringing tables and chairs back indoors I saw a couple vehicles picking up some of his friends. So I walked over there and found only two of his guests remained.

They had already cleared their plans to stay overnight with their respective parents! Acck! I had visions of crashing and sleeping in tomorrow. But S14 has not had visitors in a while, so I went along with it. They're all downstairs right now on the GameCube ('cause they have 4 controllers for that) playing some "E" rated games with S7.

So another Halloween party in the books. I was still trying to print the T shirt transfers, with the iron warming up in my room, as the first guests arrived. Now I have a small collection of bright orange T-shirts to go with the leftover chips and way too many sodas and juice boxes.

Oh, and I have three kids with a good memory of their traditional annual Halloween party. Some things even a WA can't kill. I done good!

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: Underdog Re: I love autumn! - 10/22/06 02:41 AM
Hi Joe!

You have any ideas to share for a girls only Halloween party at my house next Friday night? I've got the decorations, but I don't know what else to do with all those girls.

About the garden? Why not start small and begin planting things in the garden that please you? That way, you're reclaiming space that's already yours and customizing it to who you are now and not who you used to be.

Just an idea.

Back to dumb guy movie weekend. It's my theme this weekend.

Betsey
Posted By: psluke Re: I love autumn! - 10/22/06 12:09 PM
Joe,

Quote:

I do love the fall. I used to go back to PA every year at this time. I'd meet old friends, take the kids to get pumpkins and to ride a steam train, see the valley in its fall attire as we rode down the mountain. I may have to make the trip without the kids, just to make the trip again.

that sounds like a great time.

I will give you any thoughts I can on the digger but that isn't an easy one. I still have digging goes on but no trees for it to bother and it doesn't happen often so I haven't tried to address it.

Thank you for posting about your party. It was so reminescent of some of the plans and happenings that we held every year at our house. Right down to the left overs! I always started working on additions or changes right after one to make next years even better.

I like Betsey's idea on your garden. Pottering with the plants is great just being time.
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 10/22/06 12:15 PM
Betsey,

I just checked with D11 about how she'd plan a party if it were just for her and her gfs. She didn't name any activities. I asked about playing volleyball or touch football in the yard, and she said, "But I don't know if my friends like volleyball."

The last several years the girls from S14's class usually hung around in one or two groups until they'd start playing chase with the boys, not always boys chasing girls. The playing the bales of straw that was such a hit with S7's classmates, male and female, last night has no allure for the middle school crowd.

FWIW, D11 and two of her friends wandered around and chatted most of the night. If you're indoors and they're crafty, maybe let them work around a table on some kind of decoration? Ceramics, painting, something like that? You can always go with movies, too, but it seems to me there are more chances to chat when there are fewer chances to "Shush!"

Is it the v-ball gang? Do they enjoy playing enough to want to play some more? I'm looking to add a ping pong table downstairs when I can for our indoor entertaining. Do you have anything like that?

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: Glenda_aka_kc Re: I love autumn! - 10/22/06 06:58 PM
K, congrats on a party well done. You do have your hands full trying to plan a party that entertains such an age span.

I'm going to pipe in and second the thought that you make the gardening your own. Home Depot and Lowe's both have gardening publications that discuss your "zone" so you wouldn't be putting in stuff that would die right away for whatever reason. I know I have a yard full of trees that I don't even know what they are. They are all the same, deciduous tree but they are ugly. Given the long winters here, I tend to like conifers but I get really nasty with the squirrels because of all the damage they are causing at the cabin...so I probably won't put many in the yard here.

There are also a couple of great plant encyclopedias that show almost ever plant imaginable, whether it is annual or perennial, flowers (I often pick due to my favorite colors), and height so you can get an idea of whether to put them in the back of a flower bed or the front. My grandmother used to have beds of moss roses, a flower that is perhaps better for the central states, and they were always such a great variety of colors. I don't think they required much care but they were great ground cover in type.

So, I'll throw in my vote -- make the landscaping what you like and what you have time to care for. Then, it won't even cross your mind whether your XW will feel bad when you have a partner who putters in the yard landscaping.

Glenda
Posted By: MicheleTW Re: I love autumn! - 10/22/06 07:29 PM
Betsey, I'd suggest manicures with orange or black polish, face painting each other and watching HalloweenTown High on the DVD player! Add into that "make your own English Muffin pizza" and some weird dessert (like pudding with oreos and gummy worms -- I think they call that "trash" or something) and you will be The Best Mom in Colorado-oh-oh-oh!"

Joe, your party sounds great. I love how flexible you were with your son and his pals.

-- Michele
Posted By: Glenda_aka_kc Re: I love autumn! - 10/22/06 08:39 PM
Hey, I think that is dirt cake -- we made it for one party and it was great. Had another one come through my e-mail that is made in a "new" kitty litter box and has crumbles of cookies and cake and cute little tootsie rolls. That might be too gross looking for any kids party.
Posted By: Dmsw4 Re: I love autumn! - 10/23/06 02:45 AM
You know it's a great time to plant bulbs...tulips, daffodils, crocus, etc. They would give your spring garden a great blast of early color to get you motivated. Gee, Barb, that sounds like a great idea for you too....hmmm
Posted By: koshka Re: I love autumn! - 10/23/06 11:29 PM
I'm sauntering over to new digs, What's in your garden? where I'll try to catch up with all these good suggestions (and the expected drink orders for the new thread!) later on. Today was a big day. Next week I'll have a bigger one.

Thanks,

Joe
© DivorceBusting.com