Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: NickWing Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/10/20 03:51 PM
My thread on Newcomers:

Best Friend for 27 years in MLC

I’ve only been posting about a month but I’ve read some threads where the reasons our MLC spouse gave for giving up on the marriage seemed a little frivolous, but left us reeling. Along with 2 substantive ones (not enough physical attention, I complained too much) I got:

Sloppy bed
Left toilet seat up
Left the kitchen a mess

Now I can’t argue with the first two, but I cleaned the kitchen. In fact, when W was in the anger phase, she accused me of making messes she actually made herself. I don’t know if she forgot, or what.

I think on DnJ’s thread he got that he walks too slow, or something like that.

Any other small reasons given to write off what we all assumed were decent marriages?
Posted By: job Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/10/20 05:09 PM
Welcome to the MLC Forum. I am pasting in, yes, another, homework reading assignment for you. It is Cadet's Welcome posting over here.

This thread is the "homework" thread for all newbies who come here seeking assistance and a better understanding of what is happening to their spouses and significant others. I thought it would be best to keep Cadet's "Welcome" posting in one place for all to refer back to.

As time moves along, I will be adding additional links.

Welcome to this board.

The first thing you should do is be sure to read the Divorce Remedy book by MWD,
Divorce Busting is also an excellent book.
http://www.mcssl.com/store/mwdtc2014/
http://divorcebusting.com/sample_book_chapters.htm

Michele's articles
http://www.divorcebusting.com/articles.htm

Keep this to yourself. DO NOT share this book or this site at all with your spouse. It is your playbook and not to be shared with the "opposing" team.

It is important to clear the search/browsing history from your computer on a daily basis to prevent the possibility for your WAS to stumble on the DB site and discover your posts here on DB. Erasing the search history will protect your posts and you as well.

Sorry you are here but you will meet some wonderful people here and get some great advice.

You may be on moderation now, post in small frequent replies and stay on this thread until you reach 100 posts (for your thread, you can also post on other peoples threads to give support)

I have read a good deal of books on the subject and can give you some suggestions when you are ready.

Take the parts of this advice that you need and don't worry if I have repeated something that you have already done.

I will give you a bunch of homework assignments to read.

This POST is under reconstruction and we will be working on this as time goes by, this is the most current version.

I would start with the going dark link.
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=50956#Post50956

Abbreviations
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2553153#Post2553153

Detachment thread
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2537289#Post2537289

Resources thread(last post only)
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2592296#Post2592296

Things you should know as the LBS
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2701017#Post2701017

Stages of the LBS
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1964990&page=1

Validation
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=191764#Post191764

Doormat Tactics
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1942444#Post1942444

Standing vs leaving
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1966340&page=1

Pursuit and Distance
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2483574#Post2483574

Musings from AmyC
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2253741#Post2253741

MLC Signs
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2177869#Post2177869

The Final Stages Withdrawal to Acceptance
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2074403&page=1

WAS showing you positive signs? WAIT - READ THIS!
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2772942#Post2772942

Now you have all the tools to read. Let us know how your doing and if you have any questions.

I suggest that you read the entire thread in the resources.
You can also pick out some people and read their whole story.

Depression is the key to the whole thing and it is always present!

Believe none of what he/she says and 50% of what he/she does.

I would not ask him/her anything unless you can have no expectations.
Sometimes asking them questions will be thought of as pressure.
You do not want to do anything that can be thought of by your H/W as controlling or pressure.

Lets not worry about him/her. Lets work on you!
Start your homework assignments.
Something to DO while you are on moderation.
GAL.
Eat, sleep, exercise and take a deep breath.
In general take care of your self first.

Detach the single most important thing to DO.

Your H/W has given you a gift
THE GIFT OF TIME
use it wisely

Knowledge is Power - Sir Francis Bacon

Me-66, D34,S33
Posted By: kml Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/10/20 05:11 PM
My ex told me I “walked too heavy”! Not only that, but I “taught our daughter to walk heavy”!

Now first of all - I checked with numerous people and I do not have an unusually heavy gait. Second, if I DID, and our daughter did too, wouldn’t you assume it was something hereditary???? Can you imagine me taking her aside and giving her “heavy walking lessons”????

Really - the more ridiculous the complaints, the less likely you were a bad spouse, if that’s all they can come up with.

I remember one woman here, years ago, whose partner told her she was overweight - she was something like 5’8” and 120 lbs! Actually underweight!
Posted By: AndrewP Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/10/20 05:30 PM
My ex when she was trying to find reasons for walking away after 26 years came up with "sometimes when you compliment me it doesn't sound sincere". And that I didn't like sitting on the couch watching sports (OM was a sports watcher).
Posted By: DnJ Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/10/20 05:39 PM
Good Morning NickWing

Welcome to the family.

Originally Posted by NickWing
I think on DnJ’s thread he got that he walks too slow, or something like that.

LOL!

Yeah, I didn’t walk at her running pace when we walked down the driveway.

I also burnt too much gas in my work truck, she was trying to save the planet she said. Even those I must use that truck, it’s what is provided and required. I personally drive a Prius smile don’t get much greener than that. Her gas burning and oil leaking old rattle trap of a car she bought is somewhat of a humorous contradiction. Along with many other things she blamed upon me.

There are so many weird and crazy leaps the MLCer makes to justify their irrational projection and new life. Realize it’s their view, their truth - not “the truth”.

D
Posted By: Taz Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/10/20 06:28 PM
Good Morning NickWing,

Welcome,

My W told me that we grew apart and didn't care about the same things. When pressed the only thing she came up with was we didn't root for the same football team.

Sill dumfounded by that one.

Taz
Posted By: NickWing Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/10/20 08:07 PM
Well, if you were rooting for the Cowboys, I can see her point.
Posted By: bttrfly Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/10/20 08:21 PM
oh boy. let's see:
**I didn't make the house someplace he wanted to be (i have photos of him sitting happily on his sofa in the living room I repainted and re-decorated myself while he was on a business trip - three months before he left)

** I was too fat. I am 5'9" and was fluctuating between a size 12-14

** He didn't like the way I cooked broccoli

**I spent too much money. (On groceries? I dunno. Meanwhile he had 4 gym memberships - two on each coast, two motorcycles, his lease for his SUV rivaled our health insurance monthly payments, and may have actually exceeded them)

** I wasn't earning enough (I worked part time and took care of our son and his many extra curricular activities while exh worked full time, and for the 6 years prior to BD his travel schedule for work was anywhere from 30-50%)

I also got that he "wanted something different"

I could go on, but you get the point. The bottom line is they just want out, period.
Posted By: job Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/10/20 08:42 PM
They come up with every excuse in the books and when you do everything humanly possible to correct those things that they point out, they come up with something new. We all have pretzeled at some point and as we walk the path, we slowly, but surely learn that it's not about us at all...but about them. They are truly broken people.

Try to remember...you didn't break her, therefore, you can't fix her. She has to hit that brick wall hard and until she does, she'll find excuse after excuse for why she's so unhappy. I pray that she will wake up sooner rather than later, but her journey is going to be a long one. Some recover, others come back to reality with some of the quirks they found while in crisis and others remain lost and roam the earth as lost, unhappy and in some cases bitter people.

Trying to stay the course will be a marathon, not a spring and at some point, only you can make the decision as to whether you want to continue walking the path or to take the next turn on to a different path and see where life takes you.
Posted By: NickWing Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/10/20 10:28 PM
Oh, you reminded me of one more!

I ate popcorn when I snacked watching TV. Why would that upset anyone? What’s the matter with popcorn?

I had a buddy who broke up with a girl because her upper lip didn’t move when she talked, and he didn’t like the way she used her fork.
Posted By: DnJ Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/11/20 04:43 AM
Hello Nick (I was responding on my thread and decided to move it here)

Yes, most bomb drops are more private than mine was. I had seven witnesses to what went down that night.

Originally Posted by NickWing
I don’t know how good that is however because now the kids are looking at me like I’m the one breaking up the family because they don’t know about Mom’s affair.

Plenty of times kids, family, and friends are not privy to what actually went down and what was actually said and by whom.

You have receive some excellent advice over on the newcomers board. Time and space and no pressure is especially important and needed for situations like MLC.

A lot of suggestions and advice will be counterintuitive; at first it will seem wrong, sound wrong, and feel wrong. Have faith in those who have gone before you.

How good or not good witnesses may have been to your BD matters little. It went down as it did. You play the hand you’ve been dealt.

The kids may or may not know about Mom’s affair. And they may know more of who is actually responsible for the current family strife than you realize. Kids are rather perceptive.

Some advice:

Do not demonize W/Mom. Do not spill the beans of her affair. Let this come out as it will. You do not want to manipulate W’s path nor take on the responsibility of it. If you effort towards altering her trajectory, and things go wrong, you will feel remorseful. You do not want responsibility for her path, let her take ownership of her choices.

The girls, D17 and D21, love their parents. They love both you and Mom. You focus on your life and your daughters. Be the best Dad you can be. Leave the relationship between Mom and her daughters to them. It is not your job to facilitate their relationship; it is your job not to destroy it.

Kids need to vent and lash out. Plenty is changing within their lives. You are the strong and stable parent, so they will lash out towards you. They will vent towards you. And yes, at times, it will be unfair. However, they cannot yet risk losing their Mom. So you will get quite a disproportionate amount of their emotional venting. It’s ok. Just roll with it.

The idea that your girls are seeing you to be the cause of the breaking up of the family appears to be conjecture from you. However, you control you. Be the best Dad you can be. Not only in word; mostly in action. Through demonstration the true perpetrator will be revealed.

Take D17 driving to get her up to speed, without any blaming and snide comments regarding W shirking her responsibilities or the unfairness of it all. Make suppers and offer W to eat with all of you. And yes, do not purposefully not make enough garlic bread. Passive aggressiveness is not helpful.

Do not move out of the house. Remain in the master bedroom. You’ve told W many times, if she doesn’t like it here or needs more space she can move out. I would stop saying that. She’s heard you. And you don’t actually want to encourage or plant that idea. It goes along with the manipulation thing. If something you suggest goes wrong she will blame you. Well, she will blame you for everything and anything anyhow, but you don’t need to paint a target upon yourself either.

The LBS seeks to take the high road. To walk a better path, an enlightened path. That starts with focusing on you and your children. That shift in your focus is away from W and the situation she is stirring up. That gives time and space for W to hopefully work through her emotional trauma(s). It also allows you space to work through your’s.

There is nothing you can do to speed up W’s journey. She entered a pain-filled world that she has been suppressing for a long time. The pressures of midlife have uncovered long ago buried demons that now refuse to remain silent.

MLCer’s are driven by feelings. Their emotions are cranked to eleven. They have no empathy for anyone, for they cannot handle their own emotions, never-mind anyone else’s.

Realize, all the advice is for you. Its primary goal is helping you heal and to become whole. It also gives your best chance at outlasting MLC and perhaps a reconciliation. That, however, is a bonus, and not the focus.

You have the gift of time, use it wisely. Do the inner work. Take the higher path.

Stay strong. You’ve got this.

D
Posted By: kml Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/11/20 04:55 AM

I had a buddy who broke up with a girl because her upper lip didn’t move when she talked,

This sounds like a Seinfeld episode!!!!
Posted By: tadpole1025 Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/11/20 08:32 PM
Okay. You convinced me. I'll chime in. After pressing her one night, she finally gave in and gave the following reasons. I'll save the best for last. Three of my sons actually witnessed this and busted out laughing when they heard the last one. Here you go:

* "You wouldn't let me adopt a daughter from China." Hello? That is expensive and although I made decent money in the radio business, we had 4 sons and a mortgage. It's not that I didn't let her, it just wasn't practical. We talked a lot about adopting, but never even took the steps to look into it.

* "You won't let me dress the way that I want." I never once complained about what she was wearing. She dressed the way she wanted and always looked good.

* "You wouldn't get a Vasectomy." The last time I checked, it is my body and it's not that I wouldn't, I just never thought she was that serious about it. We used other forms of birth control.

* "Everything has to be done on your schedule." Well, I was the only one working....

And here it is....the world champion:

* "You never took me to the right grocery store." I'm not even going to justify this with an explanation, but yeah, she actually gave that as the number one reason for walking out of a 25 year marriage. Who knew grocery stores were so important.

kml, have you ever seen the Seinfeld episode where Jerry breaks up with a girl because she ate her peas one at a time? Classic.

Tad
Posted By: kml Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/12/20 04:06 AM
kml, have you ever seen the Seinfeld episode where Jerry breaks up with a girl because she ate her peas one at a time? Classic.

Yes, tad, I have! And the episodes with the girl with the annoying laugh.
Posted By: AndrewP Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/12/20 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by kml

Yes, tad, I have! And the episodes with the girl with the annoying laugh.
A former co-worker has one of those "horse laughs". Initially I thought it was annoying but she was such a sweet and charming woman that I decided that it would brighten my day and from then on it did. She eventually moved from Canada to south Florida where she now works as an art conservator.

Illustrating that it's not the habits or other things about a person that matter but rather how we react to them. And on the other hand as I've learned there are some boundaries and standards that holding firm on are important too.

And also showing that some people are as shallow as a damp sponge.
Posted By: bttrfly Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/12/20 02:57 PM
geez tad, she didn't know how to get in the dang car and get herself to the *right* grocery store? or know how to open her mouth to ask you to drive her there? these people are unreal. i've been reminded lately of my ex's expectation that i would pay half of his hawaiian vacation (on our 21st anniversary) that he took with his AP ... the reasoning: I pay your living expenses (three months after BD, he's paying the mortgage on our family home ... still shaking my head over that one). Someday I will know I am over this because the word Hawaii or someone mentioning a trip there won't make me twitch.
Posted By: Gerda Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/12/20 04:35 PM
Mine thought that neither I nor the appraiser understood the market and that our home was really worth DOUBLE the court-ordered appraised value and the mortgage lender's appraised value. He wants to live off that imaginary extra money and never have to work again, doesn't understand that a mortgage has to be paid until a house is actually sold or that a lender will not give you an equity loan based on what you think a house is worth. He tells my daughter every other weekend that I am stealing this money from him, based on this imaginary value of our house. He also believes he will receive this money instantly as soon as he forces us to move out so it can be sold.

This is as stupid as the grocery store idea but appears in court to be somehow more worth listening to because it has to do with home values? I dunno, the whole thing is a mystery.
Posted By: NickWing Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/13/20 12:35 AM
Tad I forget the one where we only went to restaurants I wanted to go to. (Outback).

Yeah, when my kids are small and always order Mac n cheese, I’m not going to a fancy restaurant. And if you wanted to go somewhere else, you should have said so.

Tad you had a tough journey. Please keep posting because when people see your journey, they get inspired. I saw it, the valleys, (and they were low), and the peaks. You, Taz, DnJ, Job, Joe 2017, Steve85 and others are inspirational to me. Thanks for your help and say hi to PJ for me.
Posted By: tadpole1025 Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/14/20 01:12 AM
Yeah, MLCers are weird creatures for sure.

I would like to add to my post above that she gave those 5 reasons after I pressed her. She said something like "I have a million reasons to leave." I said: "Okay. Name 5." After a few moments, she came up with the five that I listed. (Took her some serious thought too.) smile

Nick, I did have a tough journey, but you know what? I'm ok. (Not that I didn't have my dark moments. God, I had some REALLY dark moments and lots of them.)

I'm glad I've inspired you. I would post more often, but honestly, sometimes I just don't have much to say or add. I was 16 when I saw my ex for the first time and was still legally married to her until I was almost 44. That's a long time man. Honestly, even though it has been 10 years since bomb drop, it still hurts sometimes to read the pain that others are going through. Seems to bring it all back you know? I guess that's why I don't post much. However, I do come here from time to time and will chime in when I have something to add to someone's thread. As for my sitch, it's pretty much been written. There's never much to add where XW is concerned. She wants to be friends and I don't. Case closed.

As for PJ, he is no longer with us. He was hit by a car a while back. frown However, I rescued two little girl kitty cats in his honor and kept the P and the J. I named one Piper and the other Jazz. They've added a lot of fun to my life. They have become the heart and soul of my little apartment and I love them dearly. smile

It gets better man.

Peace out and take care.

Tad

Posted By: NZkiwi Re: Petty reasons our MLCer walked out - 12/19/20 09:15 PM
I dont know if my XW is MLC or WAS/WAW but I got a couple of vague reasons

* you eat too loud
*there’s nothing to look forward too

Those two come to mind ((shrugs shoulders))
© DivorceBusting.com