Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: Kindly Finding calm during the storm - 08/22/20 02:21 PM
Thread #1
Questions for a LBS 5 months

Thread #2
Finding patience and facing fear

Quick notes: H (45) BD Aug 2019, no kids, M 16yrs, EA - April 2019...prob over not sure. H in full ignore /running behaviour mode while still living here

The storm has not passed and continues to flare up and die down, but yet I feel a stronger calmness that has come over me....it comes and goes but I like how it stays a little longer now. Still so many questions...

From my previous thread and post (full story one thread back), I just experienced a verbal spew from H and walked away wondering the following:

Originally Posted by Kindly
Since then the excessive exercise has ramped up to a ridiculous level again, and I feel like he’s crawled back into a deeper whole then where he started.

Did I handle this ok?
Should I let this stop me from safety having people over again?
For my own curiosity is anyone an expert of MLC stages? What stage does this behaviour seem like?
Why is the behaviour so backwards? (back to a month after BD)
Could his return to work and the potential to see ow (from 1year ago April) be a trigger of some sort?

Sorry lots of curiosity questions....but still focusing on me.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that he’s gone so deep into disconnecting and ignoring again but he’s added some new strange behaviours..ie: installing camera, closing off rooms, comes upstairs and doesn’t turn any lights on, working 14 hr days then excessively exercising as soon as he gets in, sharing our business with neighbours. Maybe this is all normal but it seems very regressive and back to the beginning. But I guess that’s all part of this.
Posted By: Sage4 Re: Finding calm during the storm - 08/22/20 07:40 PM
I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that he’s gone so deep into disconnecting and ignoring again but he’s added some new strange behaviours..ie: installing camera, closing off rooms, comes upstairs and doesn’t turn any lights on, working 14 hr days then excessively exercising as soon as he gets in, sharing our business with neighbours. Maybe this is all normal but it seems very regressive and back to the beginning. But I guess that’s all part of this.

Imagine what kind of head space one would have to be in to install cameras and sneak around in the dark of their own home. Paranoid? Suspicious? Scared? Delusional? I could add to this list, but all the adjectives point to being mentally very unhealthy. If you were to come across someone on the street exhibiting these signs, maybe they are muttering to themselves or screaming at no one, you would likely just cross the street. But you wouldn't take it personally and it likely wouldn't have too huge of a negative impact on your day. Can you view H as that person when he behaves in strange ways?

Regarding your backyard get-together, I don't know where you fall on this spectrum, but I still fall into the category of wanting to be a good wife, not make him too angry and tend to do things that look like 'nice-ing him back'. (I am working on all of this). So when I read your story, I wanted to jump in and not let you take it for one second. You deserve to have friends over in a socially-distanced safe manner and he does not have a right to infringe on your life like that. You did nothing wrong.

((Kindly))
Posted By: cardinal Re: Finding calm during the storm - 08/25/20 09:40 PM
((Kindly)) How are things with you lately? Did you decide to go for your backyard get-together? I like what Sage has to say (she's very wise! smile )--imagine what kind of headspace results in all of those actions. Despite his sometimes-tendency to talk loudly and happily on the phone... there's still all of this other behavior.

Maybe this is all normal but it seems very regressive and back to the beginning. But I guess that’s all part of this.

It's as if the part of us that sometimes wants to doubt that there is more going on with them than just being unhappy in the M (the days when we're still asking, Am I crazy? Am I imagining this?) ALSO sometimes wants to see them making "forward" progress, because, I guess, that would at least mean they were becoming recognizable in some ways again. But wouldn't that only be possible if there were not mental health/MLC-type issues at the heart of this? Just as the LBS's path isn't straight, neither is theirs, although I would guess their path has even more loops, because most of the time they can't even see the path they're on clearly.
Posted By: Kindly Re: Finding calm during the storm - 08/27/20 02:51 PM
Thanks so much Sage4 and Cardinal,
Originally Posted by Sage4
Imagine what kind of head space one would have to be in to install cameras and sneak around in the dark of their own home. Paranoid? Suspicious? Scared? Delusional? I could add to this list, but all the adjectives point to being mentally very unhealthy.

Sage, I’ve been reading your input on others pages and am really taking something away from it...I think the backpack analogy and Dharma was you...love how this site makes me think and look at different perspectives. Thank you for being here...although under crappy circumstances.

The above is very true and still makes me so sad to think of how lost he is.

Originally Posted by cardinal
((Kindly)) How are things with you lately? Did you decide to go for your backyard get-together?.

Cardinal, thx for asking. Things have been very very quiet with H hiding, ignoring, working until I had my backyard get together. (I detailed more on my previous page right before this new link) ...he verbally went off the next morning and accused me of all kinds of wrong doings and stated that the house is going up on the market next month. Keep in mind everything is at a complete standstill with the L’s and there is still no FA.....I started to reason with him but quickly stopped when I realized what I was doing and ended with “do whatever you gotta do” and walked away.

Just as the LBS's path isn't straight, neither is theirs, although I would guess their path has even more loops, because most of the time they can't even see the path they're on clearly.

I am very aware of this now...just how unclear they are. When you strip it right down (in my case anyway) who goes to such great lengths to “flip the tables”, “travel more”, “be happy”, “make decisions” and then proceeds to stay in the basement splitting their time between work, video games and working out? Especially when they have the $ means to leave? Then the first time I do something for me (safely having 4 people over) ....they loose their mind?? Speaks volumes to me. This from someone who wants to keep things out of court and do everything amicably?? It’s been pointed out many times on here...their actions speak louder than words cause the words are an ever changing jumbled mess.

I guess what I’m struggling with a little bit right now, is why do MLCers want something SOOOO bad (be it to move out, divorce, sell the house) and then do nothing to achieve those “wants”? I know some do leave right away, but for the ones that don’t I would think that “negative pressure” they feel would constantly be there regardless of what I’m doing or saying ....

K,
Posted By: cardinal Re: Finding calm during the storm - 08/28/20 09:21 PM
I started to reason with him but quickly stopped when I realized what I was doing and ended with “do whatever you gotta do” and walked away.

Bravo! Every once in a while I think of all the times I wish I would have bowed out during my H's last spewing. I fully plan to stick to that in the future. It's so hard when the impulse is to just reason with them, isn't it?

It’s been pointed out many times on here...their actions speak louder than words cause the words are an ever changing jumbled mess.

I guess what I’m struggling with a little bit right now, is why do MLCers want something SOOOO bad (be it to move out, divorce, sell the house) and then do nothing to achieve those “wants”? I know some do leave right away, but for the ones that don’t I would think that “negative pressure” they feel would constantly be there regardless of what I’m doing or saying ....

I was just talking about this with IC and then posted a little about it when I realized I was echoing your exact question in asking why my H has wanted D so much and needs it to find happiness, but then never files. It really is mind-boggling. This limbo can't be pleasant for them either, but I wonder if it is partly that they are able to check out from it, disassociate from reality enough to stay in their "happy" place. Even if, from the outside, it's pretty clear that where they are is not a happy place. Your list says it all.

Did you get those brownies made yet? smile
Posted By: Kindly Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/01/20 11:32 AM
I started to reason with him but quickly stopped when I realized what I was doing and ended with “do whatever you gotta do” and walked away.

Bravo! Every once in a while I think of all the times I wish I would have bowed out during my H's last spewing. I fully plan to stick to that in the future. It's so hard when the impulse is to just reason with them, isn't it?

Yes it absolutely is...but I have definitely learned from past engagements that it is pointless and futile and certainly doesn’t make me feel any better.

Fully confirmed H is in some phase now where it appears like he is literally waiting for anything to pounce on, yell about and accuse me of....messy, angry little person. The man I married is becoming more and more hidden. I don’t even see glimpses anymore. He seems so full of hate. This hurts.

The tongue lashing tonight was unreal. I am supposed to be able to read his mind apparently... Something we’ve been doing a certain way throughout all of this, I was supposed to know he now wants no part of. Then I asked if he wanted something in the fridge or freezer and the response I got was an attack about how I’m holding him up from selling the house, his L is waiting on my paperwork....the house has to be listed immediately etc... all of which is not true. My lawyer has all of my docs and says she’s still waiting on him and his full FD.

This is becoming frustrating because every time I reach out to my L I’m getting charged. I don’t want to keep “double checking” with her. He makes me feel like I haven’t done something. I’m so not accustomed to standing down, that this feels so wrong. The panic in me flares up and I feel like I’m going to get blindsided by something or screwed out of something by my ignorance in these proceedings.

How does he not know he is the one holding things up? Unless the two lawyers are playing a game??? Now he’s got me thinking all kinds of nonsense. I dislike other people (L) Speaking on my behalf, but in this situation I had no choice.

Why does everything he yells about sound so convincing? He’s become a master liar. Along with that is the pure awful “hate” energy emanating from him. Man is it strong. I think I need a house cleanse.

Cardinal I have yet to get to making those brownies! This week for sure!
Posted By: peacetoday Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/01/20 12:39 PM
Hi

They get worse especially around D

AS D gets closer they get crazier.
It is a stressful time for all.

and I think they forget about their responsibilty with the papers and the documents their L is waiting for
because they don't want to deal with that part.

They just magically want all the assets and their freedom, at least mine did

Some of his anxiety and projected anger at you may be due to him knowing all he will lose in the D.
His fear of the future.

If you can read more about detachment: he is allowed to feel whatever he does
it is all your fault

You are allowed to say
sorry you feel that way and walk away
knowing you are doing everything you can to work this out or let him go in a loving responsible way

It is not you...practice and remind yourself
you did a really good job with a very difficult situation and his MLC is his from his childhood issues unresolved
You can not help him with that-
Posted By: DnJ Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/01/20 02:14 PM
Good Morning Kindly

Since then the excessive exercise has ramped up to a ridiculous level again, and I feel like he’s crawled back into a deeper whole then where he started.

Did I handle this ok?
Should I let this stop me from safety having people over again?
For my own curiosity is anyone an expert of MLC stages? What stage does this behaviour seem like?
Why is the behaviour so backwards? (back to a month after BD)
Could his return to work and the potential to see ow (from 1year ago April) be a trigger of some sort?

Sorry lots of curiosity questions....but still focusing on me.

My XW exercised to ridiculous levels as well. In fact she still does. Coming up on 5 years now of crazy exercising, sometimes 10-12 hours in a day.

As was said, the MLCer’s path is not straight nor linear. There are plenty of loops and twists; blind ends and backtracks. Still, whatever they follow is their path. I still have faith it is progress. One just doesn’t know how long their path is.

I like your questions and the curiosity. It speaks to me; that desire to understand.

You are doing fine. Handling things very well. You wisely back off when H spews, and understand why.

H’s behaviour should not prevent you from enjoying and living your life. Have people over. He can hide out in his room or go out for the evening if he wants. You control you. He controls himself.

H’s behaviour is mostly within replay. He might even still be involved with the EA. I do think he has peeked out of the tunnel a bit. Maybe even experienced some of the depression stage. He has also dragging back to the anger stage. Realize these stages are not strictly delimited, nor linear. People do bounce around them and can exhibit behaviours from more than one stage. However, overall and general behaviour of an MLCer can usually be stated as within a certain stage. Replay is the longest stage and covers a lot of weirdness and crazy “trying to make up for lost time” behaviour.

H’s closing himself off from the world and hiding away. Remember depression is within the entire crisis, it is always there for the MLCer. At times it takes hold more and pushes them. Progress, if you will. The stage of depression and then withdrawal are after replay, and will be extremely low points along the crisis person’s path. Depression, when everything they’ve tried in replay has failed, and life’s choices and their consequences cannot be ignored any longer, the MLCer will feel like a complete failure. Dark depression indeed, as they turn their gaze inward.

H is feeling some self pressure and is baiting you into anything he can use against you. He is looking for justifications and attempting to project upon you. And as you see, it is so irrational. He brings up is oddest stuff, like it is very important, and it causes one to question if what they are doing is right. And that is what H is after. MLCer’s are masters manipulators.

His apparent backward movement is from your perspective. One doesn’t know the MLCer’s path. Replay is a long stage as the MLCer relives their childhood trauma(s) and grows up from them. My XW went through a period of going to rock concerts and such. She doesn’t do that anymore (that I know of smile ).

One by one, their replay behaviours are experienced and hopefully put to rest. And then look to themselves. That is a daunting prospect for a person suffering a crisis, and they will put it off. Blaming the LBS, spewing, anger, projecting, and so on is standard operating procedure for a crisis person to keep from facing themselves.

Continue to wisely not engage. Lots of space and time, for H to see that his problems are not caused by you. The MLCer’s journey is all about them, not you.

Yes, some MLCers do blow up and leave right away. Most take a slower path.

These people are in torment. Past the point of reason and are driven by emotions and feelings. I want this. I want that. Like a child. And they want it now! It should just be easy. Quick. Simple. Lol. Not so! Welcome to the world of adult dear MLCer.

This is a good reason to leave the heavy lifting to them, for D, moving out, whatever. Let them own it. Let them figure it out.

I raised 4 teenagers, and I was one myself. Teens procrastinate. The MLCer is a teen; a terribly spoiled teen, with a huge bank account (for a teen). Their feelings of entitlement are off the charts. Imagine how you might have felt as a teen if you had money, cars, guys/gals, and so on - and had no underage limitations.

The MLCer is worse. They have an emotional axe to grind for their past trauma(s). They feel they need to make up for lost time and experiences.

So, why don’t they leave and grab that new life? Fear. Most “teens” don’t actually truly want to run away; they just feel that way, and like to threaten. My XW’s childhood was so bad, she actually couldn’t hardly wait to get away from her terrible parents. She left her parents and moved in with me as soon as she was 18. And thirty years later, she did it again. Me being her “parents”.

For those MLCer’s upon the slower track, sure there is a constant pressure. It’s why we don’t add to it. However, their pressure is from within and would exist if they left or not. Some do realize this at some level, I believe.

Within their confused addled mind are memories and feelings that don’t fit within their narrative and justifications. They will spew, fight, and argue, looking for the LBS to react so they can blame someone else.

Fully confirmed H is in some phase now where it appears like he is literally waiting for anything to pounce on, yell about and accuse me of....messy, angry little person. The man I married is becoming more and more hidden. I don’t even see glimpses anymore. He seems so full of hate. This hurts.

The tongue lashing tonight was unreal. I am supposed to be able to read his mind apparently... Something we’ve been doing a certain way throughout all of this, I was supposed to know he now wants no part of. Then I asked if he wanted something in the fridge or freezer and the response I got was an attack about how I’m holding him up from selling the house, his L is waiting on my paperwork....the house has to be listed immediately etc... all of which is not true. My lawyer has all of my docs and says she’s still waiting on him and his full FD.

This is becoming frustrating because every time I reach out to my L I’m getting charged. I don’t want to keep “double checking” with her. He makes me feel like I haven’t done something. I’m so not accustomed to standing down, that this feels so wrong. The panic in me flares up and I feel like I’m going to get blindsided by something or screwed out of something by my ignorance in these proceedings.

How does he not know he is the one holding things up? Unless the two lawyers are playing a game??? Now he’s got me thinking all kinds of nonsense. I dislike other people (L) Speaking on my behalf, but in this situation I had no choice.

Why does everything he yells about sound so convincing? He’s become a master liar. Along with that is the pure awful “hate” energy emanating from him. Man is it strong.

Yes. Master liars. They have too. They are lying to themselves; it needs to be convincing.

You know better.

You are right, H is waiting to pounce on anything. It doesn’t even have to make sense; and it probably won’t. He is irrational and looking for anything to blame you for. IMHO, that is progress. H’s narrative is loosing cohesion and he needs to glue it back together. Let him be. Give him to God. Focus on you.

Treat him like a roommate. His path is not about you.

Imagine a cashier at a store. They get mad at you, for some inconsequential thing. Sure, we are the customer, how dare you treat me like that. However, compassion, and let go of your ego. That cashier, that person, their behaviour is about them. Perhaps their Mom is dying of cancer, and they are right on the edge emotionally. Struggling to work enough to feed their daughter.

People’s actions and behaviours are not about us. I am just not that important. People’s paths and behaviours are about them. Our egos get in the way and make it about us.

Ego is not a bad thing. It is our narrative. The story we tell ourselves.

It helps to realize that ego needs to be right. It judges. It holds grudges. It makes things about you, even when they aren’t.

Letting go of one’s ego, brings peace and understanding. Ego is still there, and still speaks, one just realizes there is something deeper going on than it first appears.

Your curiosity and desire to understand. A good path, IMHO. smile

Have a great day.

D
Posted By: PLC Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/01/20 05:27 PM
Dnj, Kindly,

I needed to read this this morning. I am not dealing with a spouse who is spewing anger, but I get the isolation that H is giving himself.

Kindly it is so hard. I am right there with you. Dnj, I need to continue to remember the roommate description and add on to it TEENAGER.

I do not want to hijack Kindly's post, but thank you both.

PLC
Posted By: Kindly Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/02/20 04:37 AM
Wow, thx peacetoday, dnj and PLC.

First PLC, pls write away! I learn so much from other people’s posts and I don’t feel like it’s a hijack at all!. I don’t comment often because so many more people give better advice than me. But I read and read and find so much comfort in (Sadly) the similarities in many of our situations, the wisdom, the learning and the growth that takes place here. I have never joined anything like this online and am so grateful for this place of comfort during such a time of confusion, sadness and loss. The words of so many people on here have helped dissipate some fear and kept me on the higher path of forgiveness while learning to detach.

Peacetoday, thank you!
Originally Posted by peacetoday
They just magically want all the assets and their freedom, at least mine did

This is so true of my H...I see it so clearly now. He hired a L from day one to deal with everything for him so he could just walk away and live his best new found life...but it’s not working for him in the way that he thought it would and he clearly doesn’t know what to do but make threats to scare me into a reaction of some sort. I will not bite.
It is not you...practice and remind yourself
you did a really good job with a very difficult situation and his MLC is his from his childhood issues unresolved
You can not help him with that

This I can’t hear enough of...I’m doing the best I can in a difficult situation. I am truly finally starting to believe this. Thx for the reminder Peace!

dnj so much goodness in here ...I feel the need to quote your whole message!!! Lol!!! I don’t know where to start but feel the need to say thank you for taking so much time to give to others. Everything you wrote/write is so thoughtful and truly helps more than you’ll ever know.

Originally Posted by DnJ
People’s actions and behaviours are not about us. I am just not that important. People’s paths and behaviours are about them. Our egos get in the way and make it about us.

Ego is not a bad thing. It is our narrative. The story we tell ourselves.

It helps to realize that ego needs to be right. It judges. It holds grudges. It makes things about you, even when they aren’t.

Letting go of one’s ego, brings peace and understanding. Ego is still there, and still speaks, one just realizes there is something deeper going on than it first appears.

Your curiosity and desire to understand. A good path, IMHO. smile

Have a great day.
D

It is late here and I need to reread your full post but this ego part is really speaking to me tonight and I’m excited to go to sleep pondering this over. I may not be able to find answers pertaining to H...but I can continue investing in me!

My ego needs to take a chill pill. I do think it’s about me in so many faucets of my life. I worry to much about what people think, I consistently put others ahead of myself and when someone is upset I take it personally and sometimes will even wonder what I‘ve done. It’s draining. I’d like to keep the compassionate parts of this and learn to ditch the negative ego side (the judging of myself and H, the grudges etc) that creeps in and just live. MY. life. Being a people pleaser has not always served me well.

Thanks for saying I’m on a good path dnj ..your opinion means a lot to me smile

Be back after some zzzzzzz’s
Posted By: kml Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/02/20 05:10 PM
Honestly - the midlife WAS is almost always about THEIR issues, not ours. It seems odd, because surely many people leave their spouses for good reasons - but those spouses don't seem to end up here, doing the work, and their departing spouses wouldn't necessarily look like the ones we see here.

My ex had no legitimate reason to be dissatisfied with our life. He had a great job, we had a lovely house with an ocean view, no debt besides a moderate mortgage, 3 great if different kids, he had a loving wife, good sex life even after 26 years together. Nothing was perfect but life isn't perfect. His complaints about me really were just excuses to justify leaving. (How do I know that? Because one of his complaints was that I "walk too heavy" and that I had "taught our child to walk too heavy" lol. The more absurd the complaint, the more clear it is that this is about them, not you.

In retrospect, he had a pattern of dissatisfaction with other aspects of his life before he turned it on me. He was always looking for the next big thing to give him a "boost". I now see he's a narcissist too so any of our imperfections were intolerable to him because we didn't make him "look good".

Still - that being said - this process is an excellent opportunity to do self reflection, to make ourselves into a better version of who we are, to embrace change and even adventure in our lives. We ALL can become better and this crucible of change is a great place to do that.
Posted By: bttrfly Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/03/20 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by kml

My ex had no legitimate reason to be dissatisfied with our life. He had a great job, we had a lovely house with an ocean view, no debt besides a moderate mortgage, 3 great if different kids, he had a loving wife, good sex life even after 26 years together. Nothing was perfect but life isn't perfect. His complaints about me really were just excuses to justify
Still - that being said - this process is an excellent opportunity to do self reflection, to make ourselves into a better version of who we are, to embrace change and even adventure in our lives. We ALL can become better and this crucible of change is a great place to do that.

yes. i was married to his immature East Coast twin, apparently.

A grateful heart won't treat those they allegedly love(d) so callously.

Best to focus on the changes we want to manifest in OURselves and OUR lives rather than the unanswerable rathole and festering misery of MLC.

If, by some miracle, the MLCr gets their head out of their @$$ and does the work, perhaps coming back into the fold, ok. If not, you still have yourself, and a much improved version at that. Win Win. Capisce?
Posted By: Kindly Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/08/20 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by kml

Originally Posted by bttrfly
A grateful heart won't treat those they allegedly love(d) so callously.

Best to focus on the changes we want to manifest in OURselves and OUR lives rather than the unanswerable rathole and festering misery of MLC.

If, by some miracle, the MLCr gets their head out of their @$$ and does the work, perhaps coming back into the fold, ok. If not, you still have yourself, and a much improved version at that. Win Win. Capisce?

Thank you Kml and bttrfly!

Since some of the fear, panic and confusion has lifted I am finding that I am able to focus on me a lot more than I was able to after BD and over the ensuing half a year or so. I’ve had a few fun adventures already and look forward to many more. As bttrfly said, with or without H. Change has always been something I feared and I’m slowly learning that I can embrace it and be ok...especially with the mindset of “making things better”.

Bttrfly - “rathole and festering misery of MLC” - this made me laugh. Thanks for that. Sad it’s true...but well written.

“Grateful” - what an important and magical word. Wish more people infused this into their spirit, souls and lives. My gosh the positive change we would see.

Xoxo
Posted By: Kindly Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/08/20 03:42 PM
I truly think I need to get through the immediate next stage of proper separation...H is lost and either dragging his feet or simply ignoring what he has to do next. Which brings me to my update:

Another session of verbal spewing accusing me of holding things up for the sale of the house. I told him to talk to his lawyer as documents are missing and walked away.

Contact is made - his L informing my lawyer that they will be bringing a motion to a judge to order the sale of the house!!! What the hey diddly dogs!!!! Ummm how is that possible?

Of course I temporarily lost my mind until speaking with my L to find out that yes they can do that but apparently without a SA or proper FD no judge would warrant that as it would mess me up for getting a mortgage etc...As it would for him too!!!!

I’m so confused ...why would his L even entertain sending that? Is it supposed to be an intimidation tactic???

Anyway it’s working to cause fear in me again because my L suggested we “call their bluff” While she once again asks for the documents that are missing from his FD...They gave us a deadline of last Friday for filing for the motion and my L won’t be sending anything until today. I don’t think she likes being “bullied”.

Last night before going to bed I check my email and there’s a message from H stating that HIS agent, that he’s been working with for a long time, says he will do all he can to get us the highest price and that we should list soon.

I know many people on here say listen when the Mlcr talks because they give hints as to what they want. He has consistently wanted to sell the house. Blindly ignoring the steps involved to get there. Why would I “give into this”?

I was thinking about responding to his message stating something about how “I tried to explain to you last time you verbally attacked me that your paperwork is not complete and talk to your lawyer.“

Does that sound ok? I want the “record of verbal abuse” and the record that I’m not the one holding any process up...
Is there anything else I should/say? Is saying nothing better?

Dnj - you mentioned in a post before about letting the pro do their job and I feel like that’s where I’m at right now....this is her area of expertise and I’m paying her to look after my best interests.

I would be grateful for any insight /guidance.

Xo
Posted By: job Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/08/20 05:41 PM
Kindly,

I wouldn't contact your h again and try to rationalize with him. Try to remember that you can't rationalize w/an angry, emotional person. The best thing to do is to allow your lawyer to do the work for you. Papers are missing, so allow him/her to work w/his lawyer.

As for his lawyer bringing a motion to court for the sale of the house....well, that's all come about because your h is demanding that it be done. Never mind that his lawyer probably knows that this won't come about...but money talks and trust me, that lawyer knows what he/she is dealing with.

When we say to listen to the MLCer that means in normal situations...when it comes to divorce and settling up everything, you need to listen to yourself, not him. You have to protect yourself and yes, they will promise you the moon and give you nothing but grief when it comes to actually settling up the property, etc. What you are dealing w/at the moment is a business deal that has gone terribly bad and you have to think like a business partner and protect yourself, your assets, etc. He will say anything, and I do mean anything, to get you to jump through hoops and give him what he wants.

I don't know where you live, but when I went through this, I lived in the home and the house issue was not settled until the divorce was signed, sealed and granted. I have 60 days to either refinance or sell in order to give him his share of the equity. I was lucky that my parents loaned me the little bit I needed to buy him out while waiting for the refinancing to go through. My xh just knew that 60 days wouldn't be enough to turn it around and all he saw was $$$ and he didn't give a fig if I were left living on the streets.

What your h is doing is trying to bully and scare you into doing something you aren't ready to do and he doesn't want to listen to the lawyers. Work w/your lawyer. Trust me, by doing so is well worth the money and allow that person to take the brunt of all of your h's nonsense. Do not allow your h to get to you. Continue to refer him to your lawyer. Do not try to reason w/him because that will make him even madder and more irrational.

Keep the focus on you and put that business hat on. Listen to your lawyer, not your h or his lawyer.
Posted By: Kindly Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/09/20 01:30 AM
Thx Job,
This is super helpful and I realize it’s all info I should already know.

I think I have shifted from trying to “rationalizing” with him to more so documenting certain things if this ends up in court or escalates to him accusing me of stalling or road blocking him. Maybe documenting none of this matters but as of right now he always “ gets me” in person and I’ve responded as best I can, calmly and factually. I have finally realized that there is no point in trying to explain my side, opinion or rationalize anything...he simply doesn’t get it and only sees things his way.

With this email he sent Yesterday, I have the opportunity to get down in writing that he is not being forthcoming with documents, and that he is also verbally harassing me.

Part of me feels like if I don’t respond to the bully email about the house, he will just verbally attack me again. I guess in reality as I write this, even if I do respond to the email, he’ll probably still attack me for accusing him of being verbally abusive and not having his paperwork done. Ha!!

I guess I‘m just weighing my options for the next encounter. He will be waiting for an answer but I guess once he approached me I could just say “I have nothing else to tell you that I haven’t already ....speak to your lawyer.“ And then disengage and not let him push any buttons that make me want to educate him.

Living with this mean, disrespectful, ungrateful person is so far from who he [/s]is[s]was...I just can’t believe a year into this, what he’s become.

Thx so much Job for the reminder to put my business hat on and keep the focus on me.
Posted By: peacetoday Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/09/20 01:58 PM
I would trust the L

Im sure you picked a good one, and yes I believe if he is withholding information and certain documents
Your L will be best to advise you

From my experience, MY xh pulled a lot of tricks during D
He tried not to pay the mediator and almost wound up in jail for it
He did not want to pay the price for his freedom
He did not care about his 2 kids or my well being

I was a stay at home mom until D an had no income

A good L will navigate this with you, and they will also pull the plug when there is nothing more they can do
like they will tell you give up on this issue or that one

In my case, I was fighting for full full custody, as I didn t trust Him or his 28 year old affair partner to treat my kids
well-..I was not going to get full custody, but it turned out that xh left the area anyway and gave up everything in the end

stick with your plan..
Do your best to be kind and fair--then let go

The M is now over and the D is business only
Posted By: cardinal Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/10/20 12:45 AM
Kindly, I'm always paying attention here and trying to learn. I feel like you're a few steps ahead of me with the L hijinks, and though I pray somehow I/H and I will be able to come to a settlement without Ls (even as I would have a L available to consult on any agreement)... that is ultimately not up to me. It's going to be up to H and how unreasonable he is compelled to be, for the most part. I think you're handling all of this so well--it's so wonderful to be able to come here and get advice, isn't it?

I guess I‘m just weighing my options for the next encounter. He will be waiting for an answer but I guess once he approached me I could just say “I have nothing else to tell you that I haven’t already ....speak to your lawyer.“ And then disengage and not let him push any buttons that make me want to educate him.

This seems like the right move to me. As you said, there's no point in trying to rationalize with him, and any rational answer you try to give, even if it's pointing out, again, that he's missing paperwork, well, it's not going to make sense to him, probably. Disengaging as quickly as possible seems best for you and for the situation.
Posted By: Kindly Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/14/20 04:10 AM
stick with your plan..
Do your best to be kind and fair--then let go

The M is now over and the D is business only

Thx peacetoday - I always tell myself to stay calm and stick with the plan. Sometimes the plan is clear, other times really muddy! It’s always so upsetting and discouraging to me when I read about the damage an Mclr can do...especially financially.

Nice to hear from you too Cardinal and I’m still following along. Yes it absolutely is wonderful to be able to come here and get advice or a compassionate ear.

Update ~ H has been gone since Friday...very unusual and I have no idea where. The main concern this brings up is house bills all being in his name. Has anyone had any experience with being in the house still and bills not getting paid? This hasn’t happened yet but I’m just thinking ahead. If it happens, I’m pretty sure my only course of action will be to involve my L.

Other than that I’m just doing my best to navigate the feelings of seemingly being discarded and ignored so harshly. This past week has not been my best...but I’ll turn it around again. The emotions always seem to flare up with changes in the situation which means I’m still paying it too much mind.
Posted By: peacetoday Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/16/20 02:03 PM
Kindly,

There are a lot of twists and turns in dealing with a MLCer
Them taking off and not being available is one
overspending another

I always kept an eye on the bills and the credit cards, until I took my name off the card, when I saw he was overspending

My XH racked up a lot of debt for himself..

My name was off everything, so I was not liable

Just be watchful over the money and bills
and you will know when you need to include L

Truthfully, this area needs to be carefully watched
Posted By: Kindly Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/17/20 04:04 AM
Thx peacetoday, I think I’ve read this on your thread and others that they become very irresponsible esp with money. I have already taken my name off of all CC’s, so the only concern is the bills surrounding the house getting paid. They are in his name for business purposes...so I don’t know how I’ll even know until services get cut.

I’m having a horribly emotional night. It’s uncomfortable when he’s home, ignoring and avoiding me at all costs, but not much better with this new behaviour of disappearing. He’s been gone for 5 days, returned for one to do laundry, gone again for 2 and just came home for 5 min then left again late at night.

I know I shouldn’t speculate but I think he’s got another place. But what is worse than the speculating is how my emotions have completely flared up again and taken over tonight. I’ve made myself sick crying for the last 3 hours ...why - I don’t really know.

My neighbour scared me by telling me that some guy was lurking around their house at 1 am and to be careful,..so I’m scared being on my own right now....pls I just had a bunch of household stuff to take care of on my own and just don’t feel like I can keep up anymore.

I’m letting every emotion get the better of me tonight. I feel sad, angry, hurt, scared, abandoned and fed up.
Posted By: cardinal Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/17/20 05:03 AM
(((Kindly))) you know how things always seem worse at night, and then in the morning a little better, a little more handle-able? Allow yourself to have all these feelings, but don’t let them run away with you. It’s normal to get overwhelmed sometimes. We spend so much time and energy taking on everything, taking control of our lives, and it can be empowering but also draining and sometimes lonely. It does seem like emotions flare up when we’re entering a new phase of healing or leaving one behind. You’re not alone! You’ve got us, and this neighbor is looking out for you. Maybe he saw H wandering around—ha! Seriously, though, it’s probably nothing. And you can always keep your phone close by. Do you feel comfortable enough with any of your neighbors to exchange phone numbers?

Funnily enough, my H has started disappearing overnight after being home all the time, which I found annoying. It is a little weird to notice he’s now spending nights somewhere else. Who knows what drives them to change patterns, to hide in rooms or avoid the house all together? Focus back on you. You’ll be okay. It’s okay to have a hard night. It will get better. Can you put on a show that makes you happy or listen to a podcast to take your mind off things for a bit?
Posted By: peacetoday Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/17/20 01:29 PM
Hi

I have felt the same in the past...terrified sometimes in the middle of the night...How can i do this without H?
start over alone
Raise these kids on my own, pay for this house, make a living.......

Allow it, feel it and maybe listen to some strong speakers or positive messengers on u tube
anyone from Michelle to any pastor or religious person to any motivational speaker than resonates with you
Give yourself some I can message...

Truth is we all can do this
We are all doing it and many others have done it already b4 us

You will be ok and probably much better than u can even imagine now-
Hold on-
Posted By: Kindly Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/18/20 03:06 AM
It means so much to me to be able to come on her for reassurance, kindness, understanding and advice.

Thx peacetoday and Cardinal. I’m feeling a bit more like myself tonight and would definitely prefer to not go down that path of emotions again, but I do think I’m learning something about myself.

I’m not very nice to myself. I honestly think after becoming overwhelmed with the MLC situation, the epic meltdown was much more a result of me beating myself up for being so upset and coming undone. I feel like a year in with no real changes I should be coasting along fine and living my GAL life smile

At times when I’ve shown emotion to a family member I’m almost always asked “what happened”? And I’m feeling very aware and self conscious that the answer is usually “not much, nothing” or some minor L interaction. I beat myself up because I feel weak.

Most of the time I have no answers as to what triggered me. Am I upset that he’s gone now? Well he’s not nice when he’s here, or ignores me so why should that bother me?

Am I upset that I don’t know where he is? Maybe ...but I’ve been fired and why should I pay that any mind?

I rarely think it’s a pin pointed event and more the exhaustion from the overall situation.

Not sure why my feelings didn’t just wash over me this time. Time to move on and focus on me again. Thx For the reminder Cardinal That sometimes it’s as simple as doing something you enjoy to reenergize and refocus. It is hard when the pattern of behaviour shifts...but it also means I’m paying too much attention again.

You are so right peacetoday...so many people have done it and are doing it and also have so much more responsibility than I do. It’s definitely helpful to push fear aside and embrace change ...just sometimes I want to flip to the “end of the book” ...I want to know how this plays out. I’m not one for suspense,
Allow it, feel it and maybe listen to some strong speakers or positive messengers on u tube
anyone from Michelle to any pastor or religious person to any motivational speaker than resonates with you
Give yourself some I can message...

I would like that peacetoday- maybe somewhere to start if you have a motivational speaker recommend?

I will hold on and move past this next episode and whatever it holds.
Posted By: wooba Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/18/20 12:43 PM
At times when I’ve shown emotion to a family member I’m almost always asked “what happened”? And I’m feeling very aware and self conscious that the answer is usually “not much, nothing” or some minor L interaction. I beat myself up because I feel weak.

Most of the time I have no answers as to what triggered me. Am I upset that he’s gone now? Well he’s not nice when he’s here, or ignores me so why should that bother me?

Am I upset that I don’t know where he is? Maybe ...but I’ve been fired and why should I pay that any mind?

I rarely think it’s a pin pointed event and more the exhaustion from the overall situation.

Do you have someone who you can confide to? When I first told a selected few about my sitch, it was liberating. Then as time went on I felt more ready and comfortable with telling a few more people....and slowly I felt like more weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I still feel melancholy at times. My advice for you is to find lots of distractions for yourself. For me it was starting a new business, going to the gym, little projects around the house.

We all have our weak moments, but that does not mean we are weak. Allow yourself to process these emotions when they hit, but also find enough distractions so that these emotional waves don't hit too often. wink ((hugs))
Posted By: DejaVu6 Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/18/20 01:14 PM
Hi Kindly. Just want to lend you my support and reassure you that is DOES get better with time. I am now two years post BD and if you had told me then that I would be living the life I am living now, I would have said you were crazy. I remember all too well those sleepless nights...the worries and feelings of abandonment. Like others have said, allow yourself those feelings...just try not to ruminate on them. Having others to talk to is very helpful. I found that as soon as I started talking with people about my situation, I started to hear a lot of stories and experiences of others that helped me to feel not so alone. I remember forcing myself to go to a staff Christmas party about four months post BD and it was the best thing I could have done. Not only did I have a good time, but I also sat next to someone whose H had left her a few weeks before with no warning. I think our conversation was comforting to both of us.

Re: your H having somewhere else to go. More than likely it is also someone else. I hate to say it but from what I have observed by being on this site is that men rarely leave their marriages unless they have a replacement. That was certainly the case in my sitch although my XH swore on our children’s lives that it wasn’t. I believed him for awhile because of that. Then I realized that some people think nothing of making statements like that if they think it will help them get away with their lies. I eventually learned to pay more attention to what he did as opposed to what he said and that made moving on a whole lot easier. (((HUGS)))
Posted By: Kindly Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/20/20 02:07 PM
Thank you dejavu and wooba for your support and also reassurance that it does get better. Talking to a close friend is exactly what got me over this latest bump.

I am so fortunate to have a small loving circle of friends that are completely, unconditionally there for me. I’ve never been one to “need the help”...so I’m learning to allow people to be there for me when I’m low.

And then this site - it’s been priceless...the giving people on here...a community of people that only know each other through the words and pain of a confusing situation. It’s like an extended family...one that “fully gets it”. I’m grateful.
Originally Posted by DejaVu6
Re: your H having somewhere else to go. More than likely it is also someone else. I hate to say it but from what I have observed by being on this site is that men rarely leave their marriages unless they have a replacement.

I agree dejavu - his behaviour became darker and more distant. And then came “the parking of his toothbrush elsewhere“!!! Lol. Not funny but if you don’t laugh ....over the last two weeks or so he’s flown in for minutes to be gone again. I don’t even know what he’s coming back for right now. I have not entered his close door room in months so for all I know it’s completely cleared out.

Bringing the focus back to me. It’s been 2 weeks since Hs L threatened court and radio silence again. One week since I didn’t respond to Hs email about his agent and selling the house again ...radio silence, not a word spoken between us in prob a month. And then the missing toothbrush. Do I want to know where he is? Would that settle my mind or flare it up worse? Recon mission or continue to ignore...?

I am focusing on all my hobbies, getting out for hikes, doing very well at work and added extreme home maintenance to my list, learning to care for bigger things that I’ve never had to do before. Also, with the colder temps coming I have a LOT of work to do outside...I’m getting started now as I expect zero help.

While on Sage4’s site this made me think....

Originally Posted by DnJ
Kind and cordial is not an act. And neither is compassionate.

My mantra for the day. Thank you D!

I like this as a mantra too, however it’s feeling fake to me (me being kind and cordial) I feel like kind, cordial and compassion are deeply buried and have no opportunity to shine as H continues to treat me like a ghost. It’s there because I’m not holding onto hate...but then I realized maybe it’s not for H ....it’s for me right now.

I can show endless amounts of compassion toward or for someone else, but not myself.
I’m as kind as I can be always towards others, but not myself.

This has to change now! I remember Dnj saying our ‘self’ is always listening...I will work on changing the dialogue my self is hearing.

Other than that I’ll keep on keeping on. (((Free Hugs)))
Posted By: peacetoday Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/21/20 03:04 PM
(((K)))

Sometimes WE judge ourselves the hardest.
Awareness is everything , so we can begin to change

None of this was your fault and I believe we all do the best we can where we are
I had to work on me and let XH go to work on himself

Hang in there
Posted By: Sage4 Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/22/20 04:40 AM
Kindly, I have to say that you sound so solid right now. I know that the moments when we write on this board and feel the love and support that comes from everyone's kind words, that we might project a stronger version of ourselves than we feel inside, but I just wanted to point out how quickly you went from this:

I agree dejavu - his behaviour became darker and more distant. And then came “the parking of his toothbrush elsewhere“!!! Lol. Not funny but if you don’t laugh ....over the last two weeks or so he’s flown in for minutes to be gone again. I don’t even know what he’s coming back for right now. I have not entered his close door room in months so for all I know it’s completely cleared out.

Bringing the focus back to me. It’s been 2 weeks since Hs L threatened court and radio silence again. One week since I didn’t respond to Hs email about his agent and selling the house again ...radio silence, not a word spoken between us in prob a month. And then the missing toothbrush. Do I want to know where he is? Would that settle my mind or flare it up worse? Recon mission or continue to ignore...?

...a very triggering situation that likely brings you a lot of pain and suffering. Which I may have been guilty of spending waay more time than you did ruminating over; you immediately jump into this:

I am focusing on all my hobbies, getting out for hikes, doing very well at work and added extreme home maintenance to my list, learning to care for bigger things that I’ve never had to do before.

You are doing a great job of self-soothing! Which is a great step to compassion for self. That for every negative interaction (H ghosting you, the threatening L), you immediately thought of the positive ones that you are executing in your life. For YOURSELF. Yes, queen. This is the path to liberation. You are further along than you think.

I am grateful for your kind words of solidarity on my thread. I see you, sister.

(((Kindly)))
Posted By: DnJ Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/23/20 01:50 AM
Hello Kind

Originally Posted by DnJ

Kind and cordial is not an act. And neither is compassionate.

My mantra for the day. Thank you D!

I like this as a mantra too, however it’s feeling fake to me (me being kind and cordial) I feel like kind, cordial and compassion are deeply buried and have no opportunity to shine as H continues to treat me like a ghost. It’s there because I’m not holding onto hate...but then I realized maybe it’s not for H ....it’s for me right now.

I can show endless amounts of compassion toward or for someone else, but not myself.
I’m as kind as I can be always towards others, but not myself.

It’s ok if kind and cordial “feels” fake. Feelings change.

It is not an act. You do demonstrate and live kindness and compassion, albeit mostly towards others. Perfectly normal, as we do tend to be our own harshest critic.

Your feelings for H are entering indifference, and therefore will seem and feel fake. Indifference is a strange landscape with other feelings appearing larger than they actually are when held against the void of feelings towards H. This is temporary, your feelings will and do return. Embrace this indifference and discover your values and beliefs without all the noise and distraction of H.

Find your beliefs. Strengthen and craft those you like, and alter or discard those you don’t.

And yes, our ‘self’ is always listening. Speak well the dialog you are telling yourself. It is not an act!

Be kind and compassionate towards yourself, she’s a pretty awesome gal who has been through a lot. Believe it.

D
Posted By: Kindly Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/25/20 12:57 PM
(((K)))
Sometimes WE judge ourselves the hardest.
Awareness is everything , so we can begin to change

None of this was your fault and I believe we all do the best we can where we are
I had to work on me and let XH go to work on himself
Hang in there

Thx peacetoday-You’ve helped me spin my mind from focusing on the negative judging of myself and instead make it about awareness. Sometimes it’s just a reframe, perspective change...

I also like the reminder of “we all do the best we can where we are”. We (H and I) did the best we could where we were. This MLC/ behaviour/ treatment doesn’t fit the “crime”...

Sage4- thank you for your words and recognizing the positive actions I’m taking ...I need to pause more in that area and shift my focus a little more to how far I’ve come. Crappy circumstances, but so glad to have you here...I see you too. (((Sage)))

Originally Posted by DnJ
Your feelings for H are entering indifference, and therefore will seem and feel fake. Indifference is a strange landscape with other feelings appearing larger than they actually are when held against the void of feelings towards H. This is temporary, your feelings will and do return. Embrace this indifference and discover your values and beliefs without all the noise and distraction of H.

This just flipped a light switch in me that made me realize I’ve been travelling this journey viewing most things as being final.

Because of the way H has communicated with me during BD and because of the slow moving nature of this, I think it’s easy to get stuck feeling like things will always be like this or craving forward movement (whether to dissolve this or reconcile).

You just hit home for me how much of this is temporary- the things he says, the way he feels, the things he does, the way I feel, etc etc etc.... for me I think I need to let go of my “logical, organized mind” and live in the “temporary” ... knowing that this is ok. I’m safe, there’s nothing to fear, I will be ok.

This is an unchosen adventure, but I’m ok to live my life and explore this new suspended reality.

Originally Posted by DnJ

Be kind and compassionate towards yourself, she’s a pretty awesome gal who has been through a lot. Believe it.
D

(((Dnj))) you are such a sweet person and that’s nice to hear. Thank you.
Posted By: Kindly Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/25/20 01:21 PM
Communication questions...Need a little guidance ...

I’m fully aware I’m letting fear of spewing and unpredictable response cause fear in me to sort some things out that are plaguing my mind. I feel like this is also a boundary opportunity, for which I Still don’t fully understand how to implement...
Can anyone offer advice or phrasing on how I “get what I need out of the below scenarios by communicating clearly” and sticking to my needs?

1. This one seems so juvenile to me, but it also seems like an opportunity for H to continue doing what he wants when And how he pleases at my expense.
Up until last month we’ve been splitting the grocery bill down the middle. He decided to spew and say he never eats here anymore (Untrue) and that we shouldn’t be sharing the groceries...then proceeded to tell me to just charge him for the “things I bought for him”. I replied that [i]I can’t read minds and that going forward we can certainly shop separately but that we will be splitting this current bill for the large shop I did.[/i]
He’s used a few things but then I realized the reason he said all of that was because he planned on “not being here” and has been gone for days at a time just popping in to do laundry and bringing in take out food.
I feel like while he hasn’t used as many items as he normally would, I bought everything under the assumption of how we’ve been operating. Do I stick to my guns and charge half? Wait for the blow up and then try to negotiate?

2. I need him to delete an app for security so I can take it over. He will outright refuse and continue to “add me as a secondary user” - I’m tired of having to constantly ask him to add me if the battery dies or when they update the app...especially since he’s hardly been here all month. Should I just literally ask “can you pls delete the app” and not even explain why until he asks?
I’m annoyed that all of these electronic type things are in his control and yet are for my safety right now. He won’t see it this way. I guess all I can do is ask and then go from there?

I’m tired of giving these situations (and many others) so much energy and over thinking ....I try to run ever scenario in my head so I’m prepared and then I’m still not anyway.... argh.
Posted By: Gerda Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/25/20 02:10 PM
Pretend you are single and have a crappy roommate. Don't try to be fair or teach him a lesson about fairness. You are going to lose some money on this. Separate everything. Delete the app yourself if you can, or get a new one if you can't, or just make sure your name is off it and live without it. Buy your groceries and if he rarely uses them, just live your life. If he is taking your groceries too much and you can't afford to cover it, buy a sharpie and label your stuff.

I forget your sitch and am too rushed to go read it over again but it definitely sounds like you need to live separately! You can keep standing from somewhere else or him being somewhere else.

Go no contact. That means you can't work out these kinds of things. You are trying to make a completely unworkable situation work. Stop talking to him about domestic stuff. Do everything yourself. Ask him for nothing. Be busy. Not to make him do something. To be busy and forget about him. Don't wait for him to do anything he used to do. You are a single woman now, even if you are not. Live as a single woman, everything separate. You are powerful!

If his income is still something you rely on, this gets more complicated,but just do your best. I am in year seven of this @(@$&@#(@ and my H just can't seem to accept any reality that would allow this to resolve so I still have to keep a joint account running for our rental income and mortgage payment -- even though I am the only one on the mortgage. But I see it as a good way to provide evidence that he contributes nothing but that I still count all the rents as half his until this nightmare is over.
Posted By: DnJ Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/25/20 05:37 PM
Hello Kind

Groceries and such can become a problem bill when H isn’t there or is eating take out most of the time.

Charge him half of the latest bill, as you said you would, and then only purchase for yourself. You’ve already stated the boundary, just got to stick to it.

If H refuses to pay, oh well, you cannot control him. Your boundary is for the future shopping expeditions. And him refusing this time would be excellent reasoning for why you and he are shopping separately. For when he back-pedals and conveniently forgets this arrangement.

I am guessing the bills to run the household he is still contributing to; he does stay sometimes and does laundry after all.

The security app is a bit more troublesome. It sounds like you’ve asked before and H has refused and adds you as a secondary user, eventually. Being as this happens when the battery dies or they update the app implies this app is governed by another party, perhaps the security company. If I am reading this right.

Asking H again will most likely result is more of the same. If you haven’t asked H, go down that road first.

Assuming you have, think what you would have had to do if you had become widowed. Call the company. Reset the equipment within your home, and then initialize with a new app and password - your’s. There is probably a monthly security fee as well. Depending on whose name it is under might make this a whole lot easier.

Same for the internet router and other electronics. They have physical reset buttons, and then you re-initialize. You may want to look up how to guides before H were to do something immature like change the login password on the wi-fi. Not saying that would happen, however you would be more secure knowing you can fix it, and quickly.

Basically, when roommate H is behaving like an @ss, let him be and go around him.

The advice is usually if things are going smoothly and you can live with how bills and stuff is happening, then go with it. However, once that doesn’t work for you anymore; financial security and protection; get things altered. It’s your place too. Get your name on the app, bills, etc, and ensure H is, and will be, paying his fair share.

D
Posted By: Gerda Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/26/20 01:59 PM
I agree with DnJ in principle (Our youtube channel, DnJ and Gerda in the Woods, went viral as a result of that) but I want to add something that DnJ has not experienced --

The confusion of the LBS with a live-in MLCer.

Those viewing my thread since 2014 can see what I mean.

I am one of the toughest women I know, can hustle my way through almost any financial trouble and come out okay, able to leap tall buildings with a single bound, etc., but I was completely confused by the tension between standing and not allowing abuse and further financial ruin.

I think the danger you face is that confusion.

If you have the stamina to try setting a boundary and then see if it works and then alter course if needed, go for it.

But if you are anything like me, I would jump directly to all forms of no contact that are possible for you. That was the only thing that began to clear my head, and even that took a long while, and even that required that I pay my H to move out. Combine that with very unfortunate luck with judge assignment and a very vicious lawyer of H, and you get my scenario -- entering YEAR THREE of the most inane and pointless divorce non-negotiations, with literally a dozen attempts at 50-50 splits that were totally inequitable for me (since I have to fund all debt/mortgage/kids alone) and were STILL refused.

I now believe in total compartmentalization of standing. Standing is for your heart, and can include actual reminders that you are standing to H if that helps you stick to it. But for daily life and finances in the case of an abusive live-in MLCer (including financial/emotional abuse), I now believe in total and immediate separation of all domestic ties. E.g., "I do not want to divorce and I do not intend to move on to someone else, but I can't live this way, and need legal separation of all our finances and daily life. If you change your mind about what you want, the door is open. But until that time, I need to be able to run my own life alone." And then total no contact until running is over.

Have you ever noticed that people you knew before eventually reach out to you again -- e.g., old boy/girlfriends or friends or family -- because the memory of you slowly distills and they appreciate who you were? I believe that that will happen with the MLCer if s/he comes out of it, or it won't. You can ruin it by pushing, begging, doing vengeful things, etc. But just by going no contact and protecting yourself? I just don't believe anymore that that will interfere with standing. Your MLCer is going to hate you no matter what you do, until s/he stops hating you on his/her own. I was literally a SAINT while standing -- and my MLCer only became more and more convinced of my evil.

Many here might disagree. But that's what I now believe based on my experience and some of the stories I have read here. I believe that the LBS has to take an honest look at what constitutes abuse. Go to the abuse hotline websites and read the definition. If your sitch includes financial, verbal or emotional abuse, time to separate the act of standing from the act of householding.
Posted By: peacetoday Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/26/20 03:22 PM
Hi

Tough when they are living home , but never there

I like what DNJ said about groceries and app and thinking about if you were single, d, or widowed, what would you do?

I would be kind and cordial, like if he wanted an apple and I paid for it
or I baked something...I would share....but treat him as he has asked..
and buy for you
If you know he likes a muffin and you want to have it there..
I think that is kind- but not overdoing anything

They will follow their plan and truthfully there is little to zero many of us can do about the outcome

We do our best- no regrets later-

Most important to take care of you and keep all doors open -see where he lands

I had to separate our joint accounts and get my name off the credit cards
MY XH was spending a lot- and I'm grateful I took action
I Saved myself a lot more pain by doing so-
Posted By: peacetoday Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/26/20 03:31 PM
One more thing about communication
Just my opinion

anything you decide to say in a kind way is ok

Think about talking a warm and soft tone.
when you are not angry or triggered-

Validate/appreciate his honesty about wanting to save money
like if he does not eat there or find something that makes sense about the situation

Set your boundary ...maybe something like

It would feel better for me to buy my own food or I would feel more comfortable if we each just bought what we wanted for the week-

then let go
Posted By: DnJ Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/26/20 03:46 PM
Good Morning Kind

Gerda has passed on some hard earn wisdom right there.

I didn’t, not for even one minute, have to live with a MLCer. My situation went straight to W moving out and pretty much no contact. Talk about being thrown in the deep end. smile Sink or swim, I suppose. And for a good while I was drowning.

Originally Posted by Gerda
“I do not want to divorce and I do not intend to move on to someone else, but I can't live this way, and need legal separation of all our finances and daily life. If you change your mind about what you want, the door is open. But until that time, I need to be able to run my own life alone." And then total no contact until running is over.

That is basically where I found myself while still dazed and wondering what the heck happened. Three years later, yes this is a good place to be.

None of us chose how our situations started. We do choose how we progress. Being compassionate amidst all this. Removing the focus from one’s spouse and placing it upon themselves. Ensuring the business side is taken care of while standing for you. And many more, at times hard to hear, choices.

Be patient where you can and protect where you need to.

D
Posted By: Sage4 Re: Finding calm during the storm - 09/26/20 05:26 PM
Hi Kindly,

A gentle question: do you have fear of confronting H about things because there is a small part of you (deeply buried?) that is still trying to 'nice him back'. Is your subconscious telling you to 'keep pleasing! Don't make waves or you will really blow it now!'?

I have been watching myself do this without even knowing it. I thought I was afraid of H's anger. But what I was really afraid of was losing any hope of pleasing H back into his old self. 'Nice-ing' him back wasn't going to work.

It is an exercise in futility and only serves to harm me more.

Does that mean we should be unkind? Less compassionate? Put on our raging-bull-boss-b!tch front and confront H's anger head-on? No. I think it is all about boundaries.

So far, the boundaries I have put into place (which required a huge amount of bravery on my part), resulted in me getting my needs met (because only I was in charge of meeting them!). And it also helped me to understand that I was being kind to both him and myself: he knew where he stood. And I knew I could protect myself.

I am not sure if this will resonate, but your latest posts made me think of the similarities in my sitch.

xx
© DivorceBusting.com