Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: Rockon Action 6 - 12/29/22 05:12 AM
I gain so much from your input and challenges gentlemen - and also of course bfly and marching. Taking a break from working out with S. Will post more later or maybe tomorrow.

As Nicky cruz said to David Wilkerson in the Cross and the Switchblade (look it up): “You’re getting through”

https://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2940420&page=1
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 12/29/22 08:03 AM
Had a great day looking after myself having some fun with S (well, training and trying to keep up with a fit young man half my age is a kind of fun) and connecting with my best friends. W reached out several times texting and calling and i let them go without responding.

Now that we are through the meat of the holidays and I’m liking a break from her I am fantasizing about having no contact with her. I don’t feel any compulsion to reach out or answer her or try to get her attention or find out how she’s doing. It’s a different feeling I’m having right now and it will change I know.

Tomorrow I am going out with a friend.
Posted By: marching Re: Action 6 - 12/29/22 08:41 AM
Great job on the GAL activities! Keep it up so that W takes up less and less of your head space.

I find that not knowing what my H is doing is great for my peace of mind. Not too long ago, I seriously considered staying in the same country as H, and now I am so excited to be very, very far away from him.

We don't need that bad energy from our WAS's.

Live your awesome life.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 12/29/22 08:48 AM
Yes planning too and steeling myself not to get sucked in to her black hole.I find the poles seem to switch on a dime sometimes where I become very repulsed by W. She has not been attractive to me this fall in how she has lived her life and treated me and yet during th3 holidays being around her a lot of emotions stirred in me and attraction happened occasionally not gonna lie particularly when I saw the old W appear but I have no reason to believe that’s for real so I need to move forward.
Posted By: LH19 Re: Action 6 - 12/29/22 09:55 AM
So Rock I think you need to understand that no contact is not a play to get your w back. It is very your well being. So these feelings don’t keep coming up.

The good news is after the holidays you are most likely going to know where you stand. Living with her mom is not sustainable long term. You are going to have to dig down deep for strength.
Posted By: Mach40 Re: Action 6 - 12/29/22 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by LH19
So Rock I think you need to understand that no contact is not a play to get your w back. It is very your well being. So these feelings don’t keep coming up.

The good news is after the holidays you are most likely going to know where you stand. Living with her mom is not sustainable long term. You are going to have to dig down deep for strength.
I agree about no contact, as the more I didnt respond to her texts, etc during the separation/divorce, it was easier each time with my Ex. My stomach didnt turn each day waiting for a text.
With kids its a bit tougher, but the conversations need to be business..
Posted By: BL42 Re: Action 6 - 12/29/22 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Mach40
I agree about no contact, as the more I didnt respond to her texts, etc during the separation/divorce, it was easier each time with my Ex. My stomach didnt turn each day waiting for a text.
That's right. It's about your self-preservation and not getting riled up by the interactions for sure, but there's also a component of giving space and letting her miss you as well.

Originally Posted by Rockon
W reached out several times texting and calling and i let them go without responding.
So Rockon you've had a lot of updates recently about W reaching out lately. When she reached out several times texting and calling yesterday what was she contacting you about? E.g., is it her wanting the bed again, about the kids, asking to move back...etc?
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 12/29/22 03:04 PM
Most of it was calling and not leaving a message (4 times), and then also W texted a funny meme, a hi and a text about youngest D that didn’t need a response.
Posted By: LH19 Re: Action 6 - 12/29/22 03:22 PM
So Rock I’ve been around for awhile and what I typically see is these posts by lbs that their spouses are reaching out because they want reassurance from posters it’s a good sign. I did it myself when I was posting my sitch. The truth is it means nothing. I am going to challenge you to stop posting “my W has been reaching out lately”.

Focus all your energy on your kids and yourself.
Posted By: Mach1 Re: Action 6 - 12/29/22 04:22 PM
So Rock I’ve been around for awhile and what I typically see is these posts by lbs that their spouses are reaching out because they want reassurance from posters it’s a good sign. I did it myself when I was posting my sitch. The truth is it means nothing. I am going to challenge you to stop posting “my W has been reaching out lately”.

Focus all your energy on your kids and yourself.

^^^^ 100%

Nothing has changed until she verbalizes that something has changed....

Most of those interactions are small touch and go's from her, to make sure you are right where she left you.

It isn't "pursuit" from her, it's fear and guilt from her. And it's coming out the only way that she has the ability to show it.

I would always kick GAL up a notch after those.

For now....look through the windshield, not the mirrors...
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 12/30/22 07:43 AM
Gotcha Mach and LH. Went out for beers tonight with friends after a great day out in the bush. Going out of town this weekend - not telling W about it.
Posted By: LH19 Re: Action 6 - 12/30/22 10:30 AM
Gotcha Mach and LH. Went out for beers tonight with friends after a great day out in the bush. Going out of town this weekend!
I challenge to make 5 straight posts without mentioning W.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 12/30/22 05:27 PM
I like a challenge.

Working on my house today with S. I have been teaching him aspects of taking care of our home this year: winter prep, upkeep, maintenance, repairs and budgeting. He’s taking pride in the place with me.

Scheduling in exercise today and will have friends over later. Enjoyed a fun night out last night. And a good walk on a beautiful night.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 12/31/22 12:34 PM
Got a lot of work done yesterday on the house and cleaned up well after. Impressed with S’s growth and maturing responsibility. We are having good talks. He has laid down some solid boundaries with what has been going on and I am enjoying having good times with him.

Going to have a lighter work day today. Will have some time for rest and reflection. Going to spend the evening with family then get outta town.
Posted By: Mach40 Re: Action 6 - 12/31/22 03:16 PM
What kind of boundarys is your S telling you? Many kids have very little idea what a boundary is, in my opinion..
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 12/31/22 05:35 PM
He is being clear when he wants his space and with what he says yes and no to. For example he will enjoy spending time with me and other family (not with my W tho - he is still not wanting to be with her after he told her he was upset with her leaving me) also decline some invites to hang out with family.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 12/31/22 11:32 PM
Ok I am tired. Need to take some more down time to rest reflect and recover. Been going pretty hard. But I’m doing well.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/01/23 05:22 PM
Starting off the new year happy peaceful quiet. Heading to the mountains later today with a friend. Going to have some prayer reflection and exercise this morning and get some chores done.
Posted By: DnJ Re: Action 6 - 01/01/23 07:07 PM
Sounds good. Enjoy the day.
Posted By: BL42 Re: Action 6 - 01/01/23 09:24 PM
Rockon,

I agree w/LH19 and Mach1 that those examples of W "reaching out" aren't anything significant in terms of your R. Maybe she's trying to eat cake and keep some semblance of a family dynamic and/or maybe she's temp checking you to see if you're still on the hook. None of those communications warrant a response from you.

Good updates on the house work, exercise, S interaction, mountain w/friend...etc. Keep it up! Work on dropping W from your mind as much as possible and instead on yourself and the kids. That's the direction you're focused on moving forward.

Happy New Year.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/02/23 03:59 AM
Thanks BL makes sense and getting there. I have taken phone notifications off of W’s contact so i don’t have a stress response when she texts. And i think you are right on that her reaching out doesn’t mean anything except perhaps those possible motivations so whatever and i should not read anything into them.

Can you help me understand some concepts and approaches to money management in these situations from a DB perspective? I have looked up and consulted L regarding rights and responsibilities in my state:

-we are both equally responsible 50:50 for mortgage, insurance, maintenance, upkeep and repairs of our conjointly owned marital home as well as, in our situation, my expenses caring for our family. In fact I would be entitled to some child support from W with a dependent child in university studies.

-W is entitled to some spousal support from me including some rental costs, food and utilities

At this stage, W is a dependent on my employer paid extended health care benefits. We make contributions from our pay checks out of our individual accounts into a shared account for above mentioned marital home/family and basic individual needs. Over all it seems pretty reasonable and fair to both of us as is from a financial point of view.

And W is seeming to negotiate these matters in pretty good faith lately. She has shifted in her attitude from one that was quite contentious and adversarial up until recent.

I want to keep an even keel and protect myself, home and kids and keep afloat financially and plan for the future.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/02/23 04:04 AM
At this point we are each paying for our own personal expenses out of our respective personal funds that includes travel etc.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/02/23 07:29 PM
Considering maintaining the current course more or less with some tweaks for financial health and planning but also wonder if it might be better to take more of a direct separation of finances (me reduce the amount I contribute from each pay check to shared expenses and have each of us be responsible for more of our our own personal day to day lives).
Posted By: BL42 Re: Action 6 - 01/03/23 03:44 AM
Rockon,
I have taken phone notifications off of W’s contact so i don’t have a stress response when she texts.
Good move. No need to get triggered every time the phone goes off. Plus added benefit of a built in response delay.

Can you help me understand some concepts and approaches to money management in these situations from a DB perspective? I have looked up and consulted L regarding rights and responsibilities in my state:
Your L should be able to tell you best. Custody is a non-factor because your youngest is 20 and therefore child support is probably going to be minimal or maybe even a non-factor. I assume you make more than W and 25 years married equals some level of spousal support. Unless either of you had significant pre-marital assets (I'm guessing not) your assets/property is going to be divided in half. With you in the house and her moved out for some time, I'm guessing you have the upper hand on keeping it if you want to and can buy out her half of the equity. The one factor you want to consider is when to enact a legal separation at which point all this stuff kicks in and your incomes are no longer marital money. I would guard now any significant funds she has access too - don't let her withdraw a huge chunk of savings or 401k...etc. But if she's being reasonable and not hiding money or racking up huge credit card bills (which could be considered marital debt) than maybe you don't need to rush on anything.

At this point we are each paying for our own personal expenses out of our respective personal funds that includes travel etc.
Ask L on this one. My guess is IF you're both reasonable and have already split out incomes into personal accounts and credit cards under your own names than likely in D negotiations you're already where you'll end up. However, IF she gets nasty (which is not uncommon!) she may be able to argue that even though their separate accounts they're still marital property / debt because you weren't legally separated / divorced, so that's what you want to be careful on.

Considering maintaining the current course more or less with some tweaks for financial health and planning but also wonder if it might be better to take more of a direct separation of finances (me reduce the amount I contribute from each pay check to shared expenses and have each of us be responsible for more of our our own personal day to day lives).
Again...consult an L. But the safest thing would be to #1 direct all your income to an account she can't touch and #2 file for some sort of legal separation marking the date at which incomes and debts become split vs. marital to guard against her arguing any debts she piles up are shared. Not sure if you're ready for #2 yet by the sound of it.
Posted By: Ready2Change Re: Action 6 - 01/03/23 04:32 AM
Can you help me understand some concepts and approaches to money management in these situations from a DB perspective?

DanF was wise in the money area. He spoke about different types of assets need to be weighed different based on some tax implications. (ie 100k of home equity vs $100K of 401 etc) It might be of value to you to dig through his posts:

https://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=userposts&id=27667

Also seek professional financial advise.
Posted By: BL42 Re: Action 6 - 01/03/23 04:53 AM
Originally Posted by Ready2Change
Also seek professional financial advise.
Good point R2C. Lawyers aren't the only professionals relevant to a divorce...there are accountants and financial advisors as well.
Posted By: DnJ Re: Action 6 - 01/03/23 06:08 PM
Good Morning Rock

Can you help me understand some concepts and approaches to money management in these situations from a DB perspective?

You are walking two paths. One is of healing and growth and becoming. The second path is more the business side of things. Finances and money management is more the business path, although one’s actions there can, and do, influence and affect the emotional/healing path.

A high level generalization of divorce busting would be if things are reasonable and there is little chance of some catastrophic upending of one’s financial picture - not a pending divorce, something like one’s partner cleaning out the joint savings account for a trip, or new motorcycle, or argumentation surgery - then let sleeping dogs lay, let it be.

Like I said, a generalization. One’s best answer depends upon their situation. And situations have lots of moving parts and differing factors. Let’s explore what you’ve shared.

I have looked up and consulted L regarding rights and responsibilities in my state:

Excellent. Knowledge is power.

A lawyer is the authority of what you legally need to do for the business path. They have the best insight, and foresight, of your worst case, best case, and likely case scenarios regarding custody, alimony, allowances, and marital asset ownership.

A financial planner is another excellent resource. They can provide further guidance for the present situation as well as preparing for if things take a dramatic turn.

In my situation, our separation was made quite public by W as she flaunted her OM around. Bank manager, school principle, home insurance provider, car insurance provider, credit cards, bills, etc. I had to contact all and deal with the sudden and new financial picture.

The lawyer, planner, and all those institutions are professionals, and this isn’t the first divorce or separation or family problem they have seen or dealt with. They know from experience what works, what’s allowed, and what’s not. It’s good to reach out and get information. You still get to decide when and if you make that particular business move.

-we are both equally responsible 50:50 for mortgage, insurance, maintenance, upkeep and repairs of our conjointly owned marital home as well as, in our situation, my expenses caring for our family. In fact I would be entitled to some child support from W with a dependent child in university studies.

-W is entitled to some spousal support from me including some rental costs, food and utilities

At this stage, W is a dependent on my employer paid extended health care benefits. We make contributions from our pay checks out of our individual accounts into a shared account for above mentioned marital home/family and basic individual needs.

From my understanding, W is not paying a full 50% of the mortgage. And you are not providing any spousal support or other allowances. Her missing mortgage part plus child support maybe is close to her spousal support. In any case, let call it a wash for now. Because:

Over all it seems pretty reasonable and fair to both of us as is from a financial point of view.

This is of utmost importance. Things are reasonable and pretty much fair. The kids situation is smooth as well. No need to poke the bear for anything presently happening.

And W is seeming to negotiate these matters in pretty good faith lately. She has shifted in her attitude from one that was quite contentious and adversarial up until recent.

I’d suspect she has received similar counsel as your lawyer provided you.

I want to keep an even keel and protect myself, home and kids and keep afloat financially and plan for the future.

W is still living at her Mom’s. I suspect that is getting quite old for both parties by now. W has seemingly stopped demanded the bed too. Be this just a calm before the next storm or she has seen and heard some clarity, time will tell.

Do keep an even keel. I applaud your reasoned approach to things; logical, well thought out, and not rash or acting from emotion.

The bills, mortgage, upkeep, food, and such have a history now. A precedent has been kind of set of who is paying how much. Remember, this is all business, it’s about money and kids. So, with the fixed costs more or less figured out and being looked after, the remainder of your income is your’s. Keep this disposal income separate and out of joint hands. This keeps you afloat. By the way, I believe you are already doing that.

Protecting yourself and future planning:

No new joint debt. And limit, or better eliminate, your exposure to accumulating more joint debt. Lower the credit limit on joint credit cards. Or pay the entire card off, and cancel it. Then get a new credit card is just your name, and let W get one for herself in her name.

Do similar for any account overdraft or line of credit in both names. Any of your debts going forward, aside from mortgage and current obligations, will be by only your hand.

Protecting your home. Keep it maintained. Yes, the upkeep and repairs are unlikely to get recouped. However, keep track of the costs. Not so much for financial repayment, rather information during negotiating if things get that far. You sound like you want the house, and you having prior and unmatched investment into it will likely lessen W’s “emotional” want or claim to it. She wouldn’t want to have to match months or years of your monies into repairs and upgrades. That being said, investing into joint martial assets is just that “joint”. She is untitled to half. So you pay the full amount and in a divorce another half. However, you want the house, and knowledge is power. Go into it with your eyes open. Like I said, use your that expense info during negotiating with her. She might give something else up to offset that on the spreadsheet. She might not too.

Protecting kids is oddly less straightforward. Wills cannot be changed until the formal situation is sorted out and settled. Well, in my locale is was, your’s may be different. W and I had your typical husband/wife will. The surviving partner gets all, and if both are gone, the kids split equally. That could not be altered until an agreement was signed and the courts approved said agreement.

So, if I were to have died during a commuting to work car accident, or falling off a ladder, or heart attack (Lord knows how stressful it was!) W would have got everything. She was completely infatuated with OM, ignoring her children (even missing birthdays and such), and playing Mom to OM’s son. All “our” assets would have been with her, OM, and his son.

My life insurance policy through work had no such legal requirements/entanglements. W was removed and the four kids became the primary beneficiaries on everything I could do so on, with my eldest being stated guardian for the minors. Without such an option, I likely would have taken a new policy on myself with my kids as beneficiaries. (By the way, I kept W on my health policies for as much of the maximum two years I could, to provide her coverage. I had no obligation to do so, and could have removed her like I did for the life insurance. Her coverage ended when the divorce was signed by the courts.)

Now, being divorced, my will is set up with my four kids being equal shares of my estate.

Divorce busting is a time of flux and not. Somethings are up in the air. And other things are resolvable. For example, the kids’ bank accounts were each joint with W and I (Mom and Dad). They had significant monies which any of the three of us could access unfettered. A couple of meetings with the bank manager highlighted the impossibility of removing W from “her” account, even though all monies were from the kids’ work. The kids and I could, however, start new accounts and move the money, then remove ourselves from the old accounts leaving W as sole account holder on those eight accounts (checking and savings and the accompanying share).

Do be prepared in case things go off the rails quickly. Monitor the accounts. Set up text notifications for when there is activity on certain accounts. A ready list of needed phone numbers to your financial institutions, along with the knowledge of what you can cleave if necessary. And a proceeding relationship/meeting with said institution is useful too.

Hope that helps. Basically, protect what you can, limit your exposure, and don’t rock the boat too much.

D
Posted By: BL42 Re: Action 6 - 01/03/23 06:49 PM
^What DnJ said! LOL. That's the most thoughtful / comprehensive answer to your DB'ing financial question anyone can give you. Read that a few times and follow it.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/03/23 07:59 PM
DnJ that is so helpful and clear and goes along with some of the ideas I have had in my mind but confess that I don’t have much working knowledge about at all. Goal/task is for me to become educated and take reasoned time and not panic knee jerk.

W sent me a big text about money and most of it aligned with what I had posted above and your understanding in your response DnJ.

She added this:

W: “…probably at some point in the future it will make sense for us to just pay for our own food and gas (currently we pay out of our joint account for local travel/work and reasonable personal groceries), but this is working okay. It might be interesting to see how much we are each spending on those budget items.”

M (later on): “thanks for sharing these ideas would be happy to talk through it more. Just having dinner now”

W (immediate): “ok thanks. have a nice dinner”

DnJ, we do not share lines of credit or credit cards. We each have our own credit cards. We share mortgage. And yes, I do contribute a significant amount more from my own account (where my pay gets deposited) towards mortgage and home insurance, maintenance, personal living expenses, family life (housing D, visiting youngest S) etc

Ok this post was preempted by real life - a very tender vulnerable heart connect with D

And gotta go now over to pastor and his wife’s for lunch.

Much love - talk soon
Posted By: BL42 Re: Action 6 - 01/03/23 08:13 PM
Rockon,
W sent me a big text about money
I find email much conducive to business communications (finances, kid schedule...etc.) than text messages. Not only is it more functional to type out (more characters, formatting such as bullets...etc.) but it stores better for future reference in the case of disagreements. You might respectfully request communications through emails in the future and if W continues with text simple respond by email...she'll get the idea.

W: “…probably at some point in the future it will make sense for us to just pay for our own food and gas (currently we pay out of our joint account for local travel/work and reasonable personal groceries), but this is working okay. It might be interesting to see how much we are each spending on those budget items.”
Some of your (granted adult) children are living with you too, no? I'd imagine you're spending more than her (living with her mother) but not necessarily unfair for her to chip in for groceries.

DnJ, we do not share lines of credit or credit cards. We each have our own credit cards.
Good. That makes things easier.

We share mortgage. And yes, I do contribute a significant amount more from my own account (where my pay gets deposited) towards mortgage and home insurance, maintenance, personal living expenses, family life (housing D, visiting youngest S) etc
So you should have a fairly straightforward calculation aided by an L if needed. Compare the amount she's lacking in her half of the mortgage, insurance, expenses vs. how much you'd owe her in spousal support. If it's fairly even or you benefit than feel free to keep the status quo. If you're getting an unfavorable deal right now than consider if you want to the legal process.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 01:44 PM
Looking for some help with my validation.

Eldest S had rejected a Christmas gift that was picked out by W. The two of them are very much at odds. He has expressed his anger to her about her treatment towards me and they are no longer speaking. He chose to abstain from some holiday events where she would be present.

I asked S if I could get him a different particular gift (similar or lower value that was meaningful to him). He accepted this and was very happy with the gift.

W (after finding out that I gave him a replacement gift): That’s really $hitty. You shouldn’t have done that (bought the new gift). If he’s an a$$hole he shouldn’t get a present.

M: I hear you don’t like it and it’s hard.

W: Don’t say you hear me. (Ends conversation).

Hours later when I was asleep, W sends meme to me by text message that shows a woman around her age preparing food with a voice over sounding like a therapist reflecting to their client what they have said about their needs being not valued and them being blamed for being nit-picky and nagging. Honestly it’s difficult for me to interpret

Is she telling me she has asked for the bare minimum and been disappointed over and over and made out to be the bad person?

I haven’t responded yet. Just saw it.
Posted By: BL42 Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 01:53 PM
Rockon,
Eldest S had rejected a Christmas gift that was picked out by W. The two of them are very much at odds. He has expressed his anger to her about her treatment towards me and they are no longer speaking. He chose to abstain from some holiday events where she would be present.
Those are his decisions. He understandably has strong emotions about W's actions. You are not responsible for their relationship. Leave it to S and W.

I asked S if I could get him a different particular gift (similar or lower value that was meaningful to him). He accepted this and was very happy with the gift.
Was this purely altruistic, or part that felt good about replacing W's gift? You don't have to answer...just self-reflect.

W (after finding out that I gave him a replacement gift): That’s really $hitty. You shouldn’t have done that (bought the new gift). If he’s an a$$hole he shouldn’t get a present.

We've repeatedly told you not to respond; not sure what you're confused about at this point.

Her text was a statement in anger. There was not question about finances or the kids. Therefore, no need to respond at all.

Hours later when I was asleep, W sends meme to me by text message that shows a woman around her age preparing food with a voice over sounding like a therapist reflecting to their client what they have said about their needs being not valued and them being blamed for being nit-picky and nagging. Honestly it’s difficult for me to interpret

Is she telling me she has asked for the bare minimum and been disappointed over and over and mzade out to be the bad person?
Don't spend your time analyzing her. It's not a puzzle you can solve.

I haven’t responded yet.
Don't!
Posted By: bttrfly Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 01:58 PM
co-signing no response is necessary.
Posted By: LH19 Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 02:58 PM

Whenever you engage you lose. I know many people here encourage validation with waywards but this is why I don't like it. That don't deserve it and it comes off condescending.

Yep most middle age women don't feel like they are appreciated for what they do for everyone just as most middle age men don't feel appreciated for providing for their family.
Is she telling me she has asked for the bare minimum and been disappointed over and over and made out to be the bad person?
Yep. Even though she is the one having the affair she feels justified.
I haven’t responded yet. Just saw it.
Whenever you engage you lose.
Posted By: DnJ Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 04:50 PM
Good Morning Rock

Glad to hear you and W already have separate credit cards. Credit cards and overdraft are the biggest potential for immediate debt load.

M (later on): “thanks for sharing these ideas would be happy to talk through it more. Just having dinner now”

W (immediate): “ok thanks. have a nice dinner”

A few comments for you.

“W: It might be interesting to see how much we are each spending on budget items.”

Rock, it’s none of her business how much you are spending, or on what. Famous Star Wars line. No not that one, the other one - “It’s a trap!” This is her digging for information, which will likely get used against you. Do not walk into a trap.

Some advice newcomers get when they are first starting out, is to not share what you learn with your spouse. That hold true for more than just legal stuff and DB wisdom/path/journey. How you spend your money, what you spend it on, where you go, what you eat, how stocked your fridge is, and so - not her business.

Did you wait 24-48 hours? Was she asking a question about bills or kids?

Why let her know you are very having dinner now? Why interrupt dinner? I interrupt dinner and other things for those I love and care about, and because they deserve it. Your W is not deserving of that priority in your life right now.

Are you really “happy to talk through it more”? Happy? I get that you were probably just being kind and cordial, yet your response is written and re-readable over and over and over for her. What do you think your words are reinforcing for her. This is why the 24-48 hours, limited engagement, and sticking with matters of bills and kids.

A hindsight suggestion to her text:

M: Paying for our own food and gas sounds like a sensible idea. I agree. Starting tomorrow no more personal expenses from the joint account for either of us.

I agree with BL about utilizing email over text. Email is much easier for tracking and saving.

- - - -

Your job is not to facilitate the relationship between W and son, or son and W. Your job is to not destroy it.

I have a fair bit of experience with kids angry at their Mom and her treatment towards them and me.

I offer my perspective and viewpoint.

You validated the wrong person.

You should have spoken with son. Listened to son. Not bought him a new present.

Rock, son is 24. He is angry with his Mom. Let him be angry. Let W have her consequences.

I was speaking to Doug54 (you reading along Doug?) about appropriate accountability. This is a good example of such. Let W be held accountable. It’s appropriate.

Let’s dig in to this.

This Christmas present thing is between son and his Mom, and W and her son. His Mom. Her son. Notice how “Rock” is not mentioned in that kerfuffle? You don’t need to solve it, nor protect anyone. And you certainly don’t need to get in the middle of it, all that does is get you blamed. Which of course W did.

A tough lesson I had to experience and learn. My kids are grownups. For their entire lives they’ve been kids, dependent upon me and W. Me, Dad, was provider, protector, teacher, authority, etc. Around BD the kids were teens/adults and proceeding through their rebellious stage. A tough time to reconfigure a lifetime - their entire lifetimes - of my viewpoint and behaviours towards them.

I understand buying S24 a different present. It’s try to fix things. To smooth things over. However, that’s not what is needed here.

You asked for help with validating. Here it is. Step up. Talk and listen to S24 as an adult.

Your son is 24. He didn’t want a new present. He wanted to be heard. And he is looking for guidance. Trust me Rock, he watching you and learning how act, react, and treat others and himself by your example. He will emulate you!

Do this instead:

I asked S if I could get him a different particular gift (similar or lower value that was meaningful to him). He accepted this and was very happy with the gift. about his feelings. And he unloaded!

It is, at first, weird to speak more peer to peer with our adult kids. I am still their Dad. It does take an interesting shift in ourselves to see them as competent and able in their own right; not the kids I’ve known for their lifetime.

Anyhow, speaking openly with son will likely bring forth a lot of anger towards W. Validate it! His feelings are perfectly normal and healthy and need to be expressed. Let him lead, you encourage and gently steer the conversation without demonizing his Mom. From my experiences, he has lots to get off his chest.

For validating W:

M: I hear you don’t like it and it’s hard. You are right. I should not have done that. I’m sorry.

D
Posted By: Ready2Change Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by DnJ
You validated the wrong person.

You should have spoken with son. Listened to son. Not bought him a new present.

Rock, son is 24. He is angry with his Mom. Let him be angry. Let W have her consequences... You don’t need to solve it, nor protect anyone. And you certainly don’t need to get in the middle of it,

Completely agree.

Validation is about YOU identifying someone else's EMOTIONAL STATE. That is it.

Son, you sound angry.
Son, I would be angry to.
Son, does that make you frustrated?

Originally Posted by DnJ
He wanted to be heard. Anyhow, speaking openly with son will likely bring forth a lot of anger towards W. Validate it! His feelings are perfectly normal and healthy and need to be expressed. Let him lead, you encourage and gently steer the conversation without demonizing his Mom. From my experiences, he has lots to get off his chest.
This is one of the best pieces of advise you have received.

These are the type of statement I had to make with my kids when they were younger: "It is OK to be angry. It is not OK to hit your sister." Can you make a statement similar that you should say to your S24 about MOM? Practice here is much easier than learning the hard way.

Originally Posted by DnJ
For validating W:

M: I hear you don’t like it and it’s hard. You are right. I should not have done that. I’m sorry.

D
For me, I would have said one of these:

M: "I understand this made you angry." or "I am sorry this made you angry" or "It was not my intention to make you angry" or "I can see now why you would be angry"

I am sure I could come up with more with a little more thought. Then I would pick the best one.

It is a simple pattern you can practice with everyone. You do not even have to say anything. That person looks pissed. That person looks happy. That person is raging with anger. Think to yourself, "What would I say to validate?"
Posted By: BL42 Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by DnJ
Glad to hear you and W already have separate credit cards. Credit cards and overdraft are the biggest potential for immediate debt load.
Agreed, but check w/L to make sure it's not marital debt anyway - nothing legal is in place yet.

Originally Posted by DnJ
Did you wait 24-48 hours? Was she asking a question about bills or kids?

Why let her know you are very having dinner now? Why interrupt dinner? I interrupt dinner and other things for those I love and care about, and because they deserve it. Your W is not deserving of that priority in your life right now.
All great questions DnJ. Give these some thought, Rockon.

For me, I would have said one of these:

M: "I understand this made you angry." or "I am sorry this made you angry" or "It was not my intention to make you angry" or "I can see now why you would be angry"
Personally I wouldn't say "sorry", but like the other 3.

Also remember...no response at all to that particular text message is perfectly valid, perhaps preferred.
Posted By: Mach1 Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 09:47 PM

I'm prolly gonna come at this from a completely different angle....

The way that I read that is....

She bought him a gift that he didn't like/want, and then you went behind her back and tried to fix it by buying him a similar gift ??

Who were you fixing it for ??

Why are you in the middle of their relationship ?

Because I gotta say, I'm on her side with this one.

And the only thing that Validating does, is to convince yourself into thinking that what you did was right, or just....

Validation at that point is you trying to justify your actions by being in the middle of their business...

Validation at that point is you telling her that your decision was better than hers.

It comes across as fake, and insincere...

If the above is how I interpreted it, then I'm on her side with this one....

Honestly it’s difficult for me to interpret

I'm not her....however I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express... : )

I think she is telling you that she doesn't feel valued, and doesn't feel like her decisions matter, or possibly have ever mattered.

She's telling you that she doesn't need you to fix her problems for her, and she is quite capable of making decisions, even if they appear to be incorrect to everyone except her...

She is telling you that YOUR fix for HER problems aren't the answers that she wants in her life...

She is telling you that she feels overrun by you, and you facilitate that, and still are doing it by your actions recently...

She is telling you that you haven't changed a bit in her eyes, even though you think that you have....

So Rock.....

If you really want to Validate....

Change places with her, and imagine how controlled and dis-respected YOU would feel if she did this to you behind your back....

What could be said to make YOU feel valued and respected in that situation...
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 09:48 PM
Ok new text from W:

“ And I just wanted to explain more why I was so hurt last night.
It felt like you were being the “Disneyland dad”- the fun dad that gets to be the hero, the good guy, maybe even the victim.
I am not the bad guy, just the one that was brave enough to imagine a healthier life for both of us.
When you do things that side you with the kids against me, it’s not healthy for any of us, and makes a future where we can have a respectful friendship very difficult.”

Pausing. I don’t want to knee jerk, defend or argue. I appreciate your input everyone.

Here’s a draft.

“I can see now why you would be hurt and how that could feel like me siding with our kids. Thank you for telling me.That’s not my intention.

I don’t see myself as a victim and I don’t see you as the bad guy. I’m glad that we are both focusing on our health.”
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 09:58 PM
Hmm ok I see It now from that angle. Gotta chew on this.
Posted By: BL42 Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 10:00 PM
Mach1,
Originally Posted by Mach1
I'm prolly gonna come at this from a completely different angle....

The way that I read that is....

She bought him a gift that he didn't like/want, and then you went behind her back and tried to fix it by buying him a similar gift ??

Who were you fixing it for ??

Why are you in the middle of their relationship ?

Because I gotta say, I'm on her side with this one.

You're not alone. That's where I was going with this:

Originally Posted by BL42
Was this purely altruistic, or part that felt good about replacing W's gift? You don't have to answer...just self-reflect.
Rockon needs to dig deep and consider whether you replaced the gift to "win" or "show up" W. Because if she gave S a gift and S rejected that gift do to his feelings towards W (his right, not Rockon's job to manage their R), and then Rockon replaced the gift out of spite or to one up her...then that's not exactly DB'ing.

If you really want to Validate....

Change places with her, and imagine how controlled and dis-respected YOU would feel if she did this to you behind your back....

What could be said to make YOU feel valued and respected in that situation...
Right. This is called empathy. Empathy is truly understanding how the other person's point of view and how they're feeling. Validating is communicating to them that you empathize and understand.

Rockon,

“I can see now why you would be hurt and how that could feel like me siding with our kids. Thank you for telling me.That’s not my intention.

I don’t see myself as a victim and I don’t see you as the bad guy. I’m glad that we are both focusing on our health.”
Again I'll recommend (as several others have) that you stop engaging and responding, but suspect you will regardless.

IF you're going to respond anyway, I'd shorten it: "I can see now why you would be hurt and how that could feel like me siding with our kids. That’s not my intention."

Please try to understand you crafting "perfect" response to her texts is not going to save your marriage.
Posted By: Mach1 Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 10:10 PM
BL...right there with ya....

Originally Posted by BL42
Right. This is called empathy. Empathy is truly understanding how the other person's point of view and how they're feeling. Validating is communicating to them that you empathize and understand.

The key (at least for me), is to actually empathize and understand, instead of throwing up a smokescreen and just 'say' that you understand....
Posted By: Ready2Change Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 10:22 PM
Ok new text from W:

“ And I just wanted to explain more why I was so hurt last night.
It felt like you were being the “Disneyland dad”- the fun dad that gets to be the hero, the good guy, maybe even the victim.
I am not the bad guy, just the one that was brave enough to imagine a healthier life for both of us.
When you do things that side you with the kids against me, it’s not healthy for any of us, and makes a future where we can have a respectful friendship very difficult.”

Pausing. I don’t want to knee jerk, defend or argue. I appreciate your input everyone.

Here’s a draft.

This is a DO NOT RESPOND.

If you were not DBing and your relationship was in a better state then your response would be Okay, but there is room for improvements.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 10:27 PM
Upon self reflection, I don’t believe that I got the “replacement” gift to win or show up W. I really don’t want to do that. You all are really helping me to seek to understand the experience and perspective of W and S.

And I want my actions to follow appropriately.

Some more background:

While I was out after Christmas, S looked under the tree and mistakenly thought that one of the gifts to me was for him. This was an item that he had previously indirectly identified (clear to me now on hindsight) to me as something he could use.

I asked if I could get him that gift several days later not so much as a replacement for the gift from W but as something he could really use and benefit from. He gave i some thought and got back to me and accepted.

Still, with all I am learning, I am seeing that it might not have been my best course of action and I now see how W was hurt as well as potential for deeper connection with S may have been short circuited
Posted By: Kind18 Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 10:32 PM
Rock,

I was going to go through all your threads from scratch and quote every time someone (including me, many times) told you not to engage, but tbh I’m just too lazy.

It must be 20 or 30 times. But you continue to make excuses and interact with her… time and time again. You’ll harden up for a day or two, get into your GAL and independence, and then you’ll crack and be back here with another tale of woe and “should I buy her a Christmas gift?”

What part of this are you not understanding? You CAN NOT NICE OR IMPRESS OR VALIDATE THIS PERSON BACK WITH WORDS OR TEXTS.

She’s a grade A whack job. This is her wanting validation that leaving you was the right thing because she wants to feel better about what she has done. Knowing you you’ll probably try and validate this statement and she will get what she wants.

I would respond like this:

You think you’ve been “brave”? Hahaha, okay 🤪🤪🤪
Posted By: BL42 Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 10:43 PM
This is a DO NOT RESPOND.

If you were not DBing and your relationship was in a better state then your response would be Okay, but there is room for improvements.
^Yep.

Originally Posted by Kind18
I was going to go through all your threads from scratch and quote every time someone (including me, many times) told you not to engage, but tbh I’m just too lazy.
Same here Kind18! Almost did as well but also lazy'd-out. LOL

What part of this are you not understanding? You CAN NOT NICE OR IMPRESS OR VALIDATE THIS PERSON BACK WITH WORDS OR TEXTS.
^Amen!

Originally Posted by Rockon's W
She’s a grade A whack job. This is her wanting validation that leaving you was the right thing because she wants to feel better about what she has done. Knowing you you’ll probably try and validate this statement and she will get what she wants.
Agreed. What soaring, flourishing, high-minded...BS.

SHE IS CHEATING ON YOU! Do not allow her to make you believe you're the bad actor in all this.

Do be clear, not sure this is DB'ing...but certainly understand the sentiment.
Posted By: Ready2Change Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 10:44 PM
1) When you engage, you lose.
2) If you absolutely feel like responded, wait 24 hours to come up with a response.
3) Always use the least number (and simplest) of words needed to get your point across. Here are my top three one word responses (Yes, No, Perfect)

First edit:

“I can see now why you would be hurt and how that could feel like me siding with our kids. Thank you for telling me. That’s not my intention.

I don’t see myself as a victim and I don’t see you as the bad guy. I’m glad that we are both focusing on our health.

This is the first response that pops into my head:
"Thanks for sharing"
A little cold, but she did fire you as her husband.
I use the word sorry more as an empathy word and not as an apology word.
I would add "I am sorry you were hurt" if I wanted to validate that I understand her emotional state.

Even if you don't send this, this should be your state of mind:
"I am sorry you were hurt, thanks for sharing."
Posted By: Ready2Change Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 10:50 PM

I would be more blunt:

"Brave people don't cut and run."

Of course, that might lead to more engagement....
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 11:17 PM
I decided to reach out to S. I told him that I wanted to be more real and respectable as a man with him and as his dad, I told him that he has every right and reason to be angry at W and that he could be angry at me and disappointed. He thanked me and didn’t have much to say.
Posted By: DnJ Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 11:26 PM
Rock,

W: I am not the bad guy, just the one that was brave enough to imagine a healthier life for both of us. When you do things that side you with the kids against me, it’s not healthy for any of us, and makes a future where we can have a respectful friendship very difficult.

Rock, you do see the manipulation at play here. Right? These folks are masters of manipulation and twisting the LBS to their will and purpose.

She’s is baiting you.

If you take umbrage and set the record straight that the kids side with you because of her behaviour, and she is being disrespectful and creating that future, she’ll use it against you.

If you, as she probably suspects, respond kindly like your proposed response, she’ll validate her position more.

Don’t take the bait. It’s a trap!

Brave enough?!? To cheat and throw away a marriage. Sure. Whatever.

A respectful friendship?!? You are kind and cordial and treat her friendly. You are not friends. Your friends do not treat you the way she treats you. (This may not always be the case, however for right now it is. In my humble opinion.)

She won’t hear you. Most people, by far most people, are not the villain in their own story.

Here’s a draft.

Well done taking time before responding. Give it 48 hours. Lots of time for your emotions to settle. I bet you won’t feel like responding in a couple of days. Or at least, like how you’ve proposed.

As to your draft. You are siding with the kids. They certainly do not deserve this mess, stress, and strife from the fallout of the relationship between their parents. Always be on the side of your kids. And unapologetically! Your are their rock! Period!

Do you really not see W as the bad guy? Is she the good guy? Are there any bad or good guys in your story? I’m curious as to how you see things.

I’m thinking the best DB response would be a truth dart or two.

D
Posted By: DnJ Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 11:31 PM
I decided to reach out to S. I told him that I wanted to be more real and respectable as a man with him and as his dad, I told him that he has every right and reason to be angry at W and that he could be angry at me and disappointed. He thanked me and didn’t have much to say.

Good for you.

It will take some time for son to open up. You’ve opened the conversation, now let him come to you.

D
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/04/23 11:40 PM
Oo boy DnJ you are hitting the nail on the head. Gonna let this sink in more. And I’m going out to play some pool with the guys.
Posted By: Ready2Change Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by DnJ
I’m thinking the best DB response would be a "truth dart" or two.
There is also "reverse babel"

These are good candidates:
1) brave enough
2) imagine a healthier life for both of us.
3) friendship very difficult.

Again, no need to respond to her, but you can practice with us here. You spin her word back at her.

Better yet, go out with the boys and shoot some pool. wink
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 01:10 AM
Anyone watching this hockey game?
Posted By: Kind18 Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 02:15 AM
I’m thinking the best DB response would be a "truth dart" or two.

I think a truth dart might be helpful if Rockon still wants to be with this nut job. Personally, I’d block her number and be running the other way.

However, my suggestion for a truth dart would be this;

“So let me get this right… you define “being brave” as having an affair, destroying a marriage and ripping our children’s lives apart?

You need a psychologist. I am not interested nor qualified to help you.”
Posted By: Kind18 Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 02:24 AM
Rock, read DNJs response again. DNJ is all over the meaning of her messages like white on rice.

He also tends to bring less of a sledgehammer approach than I do 🤣

Hang in there mate, it will get better. I’m not watching ice hockey, I’m on the other side of the world watching cricket 🏏

How’s the exercise program going? I’ve been a bit slack myself lately.
Posted By: BL42 Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 03:07 AM
1) When you engage, you lose.
2) If you absolutely feel like responded, wait 24 hours to come up with a response.
3) Always use the least number (and simplest) of words needed to get your point across. Here are my top three one word responses (Yes, No, Perfect)
Great rules, R2C. Heed them, Rockon!

I use the word sorry more as an empathy word and not as an apology word.
I would add "I am sorry you were hurt" if I wanted to validate that I understand her emotional state.
R2C - I get what you're saying an empathy vs. apology, and maybe it's semantics, but I personally don't like "sorry" in validation because LBSs are usually too apologetic and come off as weak. IMO it helps to purposefully stop using it casually (unless an apology is actually warranted) to strengthen the LBS mindset and flip the power. Stop sounding weak and apologetic for every little insignificant thing when your spouse is having an affair, separated, and is divorcing you.

Originally Posted by DnJ
Always be on the side of your kids. And unapologetically! Your are their rock! Period!
Well said, D! Unapologetically side with your kids. It's your W who is causing this disfunction.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 03:17 AM
I’m ramping it up again. Fell out of routine on the holidays but my Ss and friends are into it and so am I. Boxing, hiking, lifting weights and mobility relaxation exercises.
Posted By: DnJ Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 08:42 AM
He also tends to bring less of a sledgehammer approach than I do 🤣

LOL!
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 05:07 PM
Text from S - he’s opening up

“Sorry it seems like I’m mad at you. I’m not. I just don’t really want to hear what’s going on with you and mom. Also…Also…. Even... I get that…I didn’t participate in Christmas cuz I’m not down... It’s not good for me.

Anyways this is a response to the phone call yesterday. I was with other people so I don’t even really know what you said but I remember you saying you thought I might be mad at you.”

Planning to keep the door open and give him respect.
Posted By: bttrfly Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 05:24 PM
yeah, leave the info about your relationship out unless specific questions are asked, then I'd advocate a diplomatic and truthful response which doesn't demonize the other parent.

strong boundaries around your relationships
yours and wife's
yours with your kids
your kids with their mother

none of those circles are interlocking.

i hope this makes sense?
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 05:58 PM
Yes it makes sense. I have been working at it.
Posted By: bttrfly Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 06:38 PM
and always question your own motives before taking action in word or deed.
Posted By: Mach1 Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 07:03 PM
Upon self reflection, I don’t believe that I got the “replacement” gift to win or show up W. I really don’t want to do that. You all are really helping me to seek to understand the experience and perspective of W and S.

Then why did you do it ??

I know that you said this :

Some more background:

While I was out after Christmas, S looked under the tree and mistakenly thought that one of the gifts to me was for him. This was an item that he had previously indirectly identified (clear to me now on hindsight) to me as something he could use.

I asked if I could get him that gift several days later not so much as a replacement for the gift from W but as something he could really use and benefit from. He gave i some thought and got back to me and accepted.

Still, with all I am learning, I am seeing that it might not have been my best course of action and I now see how W was hurt as well as potential for deeper connection with S may have been short circuited

But to me that seems a superficial answer...

Superficial in..., that you are still trying to be the "fixer" in both of those situations....

Kind of a , if I do this, this person will be happy, and possibly this person also. If I don't "fix" it, then this person will be upset, and I know this person is upset....

Sigh.....

When you are being told to not respond.....

And listen up here....

STOP RESPONDING with....

The same behaviors that got you here...

The same words that got you here...

The same actions that got you here...

The same thinking that got you here....

The same reactive patterns that got you here...

So maybe start with the "why" you tried to fix that....and see how that pattern plays into other parts of your life...

The "responding" ^^^^ is what is also keeping you from detaching, and fully embracing what DB entails...

Going out, having a drink, shooting pool, hunting Bigfoot, they are all great things, UNLESS you fully embrace them and are 100% committed to them, and aren't sitting with your buddies and thinking about your sitch, and what she is doing....

???
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 07:04 PM
So I decided to respond to W today:

I am sorry you were hurt. Thank you for sharing.

Her immediate response:

😂

Followed shortly thereafter by texts from her about our kids and a humorous meme from her.
Posted By: bttrfly Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 07:18 PM
I'm going to be blunt.

The relationship between your children and their mother is none of your business

If she puts one of them in a life threatening situation, you intervene. Until then, stay in your own lane!

Are you people pleasing?

Are you trying to be the favorite parent for self-validating reasons?

Your job isn't to figure out what the relationship between each child and their mother is or will be. Your job is to make sure you don't put any roadblocks between them.

Focus on yourself, your GAL, your core values (man, I'm feeling like a 45 stuck in a bad groove), and how you want to live your life.

Focus on your OWN relationship with yourself and each of your kids, separate from what's going on.

What she gives them as gifts has nothing to do with you.

You aren't going to fix this back to 'normal' and if you keep trying you will certainly make things a helluva lot worse.
Posted By: bttrfly Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 07:21 PM
Why?
You were told by several people to stop responding.

So again, why?
Posted By: job Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 07:32 PM
Mach1 and bttrfly have given you much to think about and yes, their postings are spot on. I have a feeling that you are a fixer. BTW, a majority of posters are fixers. You didn't break her, therefore you can't fix her. She needs to do the necessary work of looking within and figuring out herself. She knows that you are there for her, if she needs you.

So, when she posts to you, if the posting is not important or an emergency, just let it sit for a while. If she asks why you have not responded, just say "I was busy". You don't need to be there trying to fix her or her interactions w/the children. Unless she is harming the children, step back. It's okay to listen to what the children have to say about their time w/their mom, but do not ask them a lot of questions...let them come to you. If they tell you something that makes you angry, hold your temper until you can be in another room, take a walk, but do not show your children that you are angry because they may very well be hesitant to tell you anything else.

When you try and try and the same ole same ole isn't working, then try something else...but also, sitting quietly and doing nothing is doing something. Please re-read what the posters have posted to you. The advice you have been given comes from experience. Stay in your lane, keep the focus on you and your children. Whatever she is doing, is on her.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 08:16 PM
Mach1

Then why did you do it ??

Me: I was spending a lot of time with S (and also some alone time and some time with friends) after Christmas. S and I had been working on our house and connecting well. He talked to me about the original gift. It was actually from W and I but she had picked it out. He asked and I told him. He declined it. I asked if he could think of another gift he might like. Over the next several days he sat with it and then selected/accepted gratefully the other gift idea. It was more from me about connecting with him and I really didn’t believe that I was trying to show W up at all that’s not a motivator for me. I wanted S to know that he is important to me and our family and he is an individual and he doesn’t have to be “nice” and pretend that everything is alright and have a jolly experience with everyone all the time. And I wasn’t trying to fix the situation or the relationship between S and W.

I know that you said this :

Some more background:

But to me that seems a superficial answer...

Superficial in..., that you are still trying to be the "fixer" in both of those situations....

Kind of a , if I do this, this person will be happy, and possibly this person also. If I don't "fix" it, then this person will be upset, and I know this person is upset...

Me: I accept what you are saying and will continue to reflect.

Sigh.....

When you are being told to not respond.....

And listen up here....

STOP RESPONDING with....

The same behaviors that got you here...

The same words that got you here...

The same actions that got you here...

The same thinking that got you here....

The same reactive patterns that got you here...

So maybe start with the "why" you tried to fix that....and see how that pattern plays into other parts of your life...

The "responding" ^^^^ is what is also keeping you from detaching, and fully embracing what DB entails...

Going out, having a drink, shooting pool, hunting Bigfoot, they are all great things, UNLESS you fully embrace them and are 100% committed to them, and aren't sitting with your buddies and thinking about your sitch, and what she is doing....

Me: right

???
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 08:20 PM
I weighed and considered all of the much appreciated input and selected what I believed was the best choice for me - to respond 24 hrs later without being pulled in by emotion simply and briefly letting W know that I understand she was hurt.
Posted By: bttrfly Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 08:24 PM
perhaps on future gifts, birthdays, Christmas, etc, you can inform W that you'd prefer to each give your own gift to the child in question.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 08:27 PM
to be blunt.

The relationship between your children and their mother is none of your business

If she puts one of them in a life threatening situation, you intervene. Until then, stay in your own lane!

Are you people pleasing?

Are you trying to be the favorite parent for self-validating reasons?

Me : I’m not trying to be the favorite parent but I am going about things to have a great life including enjoying our kids and being the Dad I need to be. If anything I might be engaging too much in trying to support W’s relationship with kids. I am getting that I need to get out of the way not interfere/block but also not fix.

BF: You aren't going to fix this back to 'normal' and if you keep trying you will certainly make things a helluva lot worse

Me: thank you I appreciate bluntness
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 08:35 PM
Youngest D informed me the other day when we were out doing an activity together that she is finding the need to have some clearer boundaries with W and W’s family. I listened as she explained that, for example, W’s brother (her uncle) asked her during the holidays, “So how are your mom and dad doing?”

D: have you asked them?

U: No I haven’t.

D: maybe you should

I reflected to D that I was proud of her for standing up and having healthy boundaries. We shared some tears and hugs together. Mostly I listened as she described some ways that she was handling situations and I reinforced the importance of her looking after herself being herself, having time for rest and fun and friends and that I loved her and am here for her.
Posted By: Mach1 Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 08:43 PM
I was spending a lot of time with S (and also some alone time and some time with friends) after Christmas. S and I had been working on our house and connecting well. He talked to me about the original gift. It was actually from W and I but she had picked it out. He asked and I told him. He declined it. I asked if he could think of another gift he might like. Over the next several days he sat with it and then selected/accepted gratefully the other gift idea. It was more from me about connecting with him and I really didn’t believe that I was trying to show W up at all that’s not a motivator for me. I wanted S to know that he is important to me and our family and he is an individual and he doesn’t have to be “nice” and pretend that everything is alright and have a jolly experience with everyone all the time. And I wasn’t trying to fix the situation or the relationship between S and W.

Hey.....don't let this get you down....

I'm gonna say that ^^^^ I am still finding this superficial....

It's an explanation....not a "why"

The explanation allows you to see the isolated incident....

The "why" lets you see how being a 'fixer' has been a part of your life, and allows you to stop letting that live in your wheelhouse for your future relationship....

Rock, you aren't responsible completely for the breakdown of your marriage, however you did play a part in it.

The behaviors that led to this that belong to you, you should be trying to kill in yourself.

The "fixer" mentality is one of the hardest for men to see, let alone kill off.

Yet once that you see it, you cannot UN-see it....

Fixer mentality is so deeply ingrained into the the Male natural instinct that we don't see how that affects those of us that we deal with on a daily level, let alone a deep emotional connection within the confines of a relationship....

Right now, and with any WAW/MLCer, they don't want/need anything fixed for them. Most feel that having things fixed for them has been their entire marriage, and what it manifests into is them screaming that they were 'controlled' and that they were emotionally abused....

Not one particular thing leads to that, however 1+1+1+1+1 will eventually get you to a million....

Seeing that, and recognizing it for what it is and the role that you played in it, allows you to own your side of the street, and keep it clean...

Rock owns Rock.....

Nothing else matters for now....

So I ask again....

What would you want to hear to validate the situation if the roles were reversed... ????

Think about that, dust off, and get back on that horse buddy....
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 09:16 PM
Ok I am getting this more and will dig in individually in reflection, with pastor and IC and will get back to you.
Posted By: Ready2Change Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 09:41 PM
I weighed and considered all of the much appreciated input and selected what I believed was the best choice for me.
I think this is key. You had a larger selection of choices than if you were doing this alone using your old behaviors.

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson’s

We can apply that quote both ways. To your choices and to our advise.

Did you get enough info to know that you made the correct choice?

Do we have enough info about your sitch to give you the correct advise?
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 10:24 PM
Hmm I signed on just now to type out putting myself in W’s shoes as invited by Mach1- will get to you R2C

So let’s imagine I put thought into and selected a Gift to D, and D and I were at odds with each other. D rejected my gift and W came in and gave a replacement gift - gifts being from both of us or individual whatever. But point being D accepted gift selected by W without my knowledge and without my input and rejected mine.

I could imagine that I might feel hurt - by the disconnection with D and feeling my part in that and associating past relational difficulties and hurts. And I could imagine feeling like W showed me up ok.

What would I want to know from W or what would I need to have my hurt acknowledged? I would want to know that W took seriously that I was hurt. And that my feelings matter and I’m important. My relationship with D and hers with me are about us.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 10:38 PM
I could also say to W, “in hindsight I wonder if it would have been a better choice for me to talk to you before deciding to get the new gift.”

I don’t know if that’s true but I could ask. See, I am actually trying not to get between them. When W told me that S tore a strip off of her on the phone some time ago about his perception of how she is treating me, I listened to her and told her I felt sad about their disconnection and noted that he has strong feelings about this. She told me he told her that he was angry and that he believed that she was not doing the right thing it was a really cheap shot and wrong and that she is not a victim in this (paraphrase I can’t exactly remember). I told W I hope that they can talk more and listen to each other and that I’m listening as well. I commented that I’m aware that they love each other and have gotten through things before but this is difficult.

I didn’t try to say he was right and pile on or take over his issues with her or that he was wrong and minimize and blow off his anger but that his feelings are what he’s feeling.

When W and I talked with younger S about our R difficulties, I acknowledged to him that it would be normal to have feelings and thoughts and questions about it and about us and that’s ok and he can talk or ask whatever he wants. W said “your sisters are sad, your brothers are mad and we are both mad sometimes and sad sometimes..”
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 10:47 PM
So why, why do I act this way, why do I “fix” maybe I get anxious about people being unhappy I don’t know.

Mach: “Rock, you aren't responsible completely for the breakdown of your marriage, however you did play a part in it”

Me: I get this and totally agree and I am working at changing that to be the best version of me and a man of integrity who takes responsibility and doesn’t give excuses and is not lazy.

Mach: “Right now, and with any WAW/MLCer, they don't want/need anything fixed for them. Most feel that having things fixed for them has been their entire marriage, and what it manifests into is them screaming that they were 'controlled' and that they were emotionally abused...”

Me: A lot of this fits for sure. I am show purposing to show by my actions that I can’t, don’t wan’t to and won’t control W. Your input/feedback/challenge helps me go deeper and hopefully see more clearly through my blind spots.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 10:54 PM
Ok R2C, maybe we all don’t have adequate accurate info for what is required.

This is really hard! I don’t know how to handle this, not respond at all (too late) respond properly to her without engaging? I find text messaging and email difficult mediums to talk about heart stuff.

I think that as some here have said, don’t respond, don’t engage - we are not at that stage.

From her text responses to me, it seems like she got what she “wanted” I imagine her thinking I gave a lame response but at least I responded confirming what she expected.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 11:07 PM
Your last point here hits home. I need to be resolute and determined NOT to try to get back to ‘normal’ it didn’t work didn’t get the job done and isn’t what W or I want. And I don’t want this!
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/05/23 11:44 PM
As far as truth darts. Definitely been thinking about it. Again want to pause take my time seek counsel and take a wise course of action.
Posted By: BL42 Re: Action 6 - 01/06/23 04:25 AM
Rockon,
This is really hard!
Yes, it is. Perhaps the hardest thing you'll go through in life. However, there comes a point when you're just willfully ignoring seasoned advice and going to do whatever you want regardless and make excuses for why. It's your life, so that's your choice - but you've been warned.

I don’t know how to handle this, not respond at all (too late) respond properly to her without engaging?
Too late not to respond this time. But what will you do next time? If I were a betting man I know what I'd put my money on...

I find text messaging and email difficult mediums to talk about heart stuff.
YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO BE TALKING ABOUT HEART STUFF! One of the top rules here is NO R TALKS! We're not suggesting emails as a medium so you can have heartful R talks. It's for brief, limited necessary business. Period.

I think that as some here have said, don’t respond, don’t engage - we are not at that stage.
Almost everyone here has said don't response, don't engage. Multiple vets. Repeatedly. All through your thread. Go back and re-read the advice me, Kind, LH, R2C..etc, etc has given. I don't think there's a single poster here who thinks what you need is more engagement with W. And yes, you are at that stage - W has moved out, had an affair, and has made no mention of reconciling. IF she comes back to you and wants to reconcile that's another story.

From her text responses to me, it seems like she got what she “wanted” I imagine her thinking I gave a lame response but at least I responded confirming what she expected.
Rockon - Almost all of your posts here have been analysis of your W and how you should respond. Seems to me you think if you can just analyze her, stay engage, respond "perfectly" things will work out. It's the general consensus around here that's likely to fail.

As far as truth darts. Definitely been thinking about it. Again want to pause take my time seek counsel and take a wise course of action.
Thinking, pausing, contemplating, seeking counsel...etc. Your thread is full of that. How about ACTION?

Sorry to be harsh. Others can feel free to correct me and put me in my place. But it doesn't seem like you're listening at all.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/06/23 05:02 AM
BL I am listening. And you are on track and not harsh. I have been making mistakes not because I’m not listening but I’m seeking to do what I believe to be right. And my beliefs of what the right things to do are changing. And I’m understanding more.
Posted By: Ready2Change Re: Action 6 - 01/06/23 07:00 AM
Rock,

How much research have you done on attraction and seduction?

Us men are typically simple creatures. Visually attracted to the ladies.

Women are much more complex and are more attracted to a mans behavior. She lost her attraction for you. Plain and simple. Your behavior has to change during this period if you want any chance of attracting her back.

Lots of layers of the onion for you to peel back.
Posted By: Rockon Re: Action 6 - 01/06/23 07:31 AM
I have been doing some learning about this.
Posted By: Kind18 Re: Action 6 - 01/06/23 07:33 AM
I’m ramping it up again. Fell out of routine on the holidays but my Ss and friends are into it and so am I. Boxing, hiking, lifting weights and mobility relaxation exercises.

See the connection? When you were prioritising exercise you felt better in yourself, interacted with her less and were more in control of your life.

When you dropped the ball and stopped vigorous daily exercising, you felt bad, interacted and had trouble managing your emotions.

The link between your mental health and exercise is very strong.

Remember that next time you start to feel down!
Posted By: Doug54 Re: Action 6 - 01/06/23 01:55 PM
Rock,

How much research have you done on attraction and seduction?

Us men are typically simple creatures. Visually attracted to the ladies.

Women are much more complex and are more attracted to a mans behavior. She lost her attraction for you. Plain and simple. Your behavior has to change during this period if you want any chance of attracting her back.

Lots of layers of the onion for you to peel back.
Do you have any readings you recommended beyond Robert Greene? Anything specific?
Posted By: LH19 Re: Action 6 - 01/06/23 02:44 PM
Relationships generally fall apart for one of three reasons: (1) One partner becomes emotionally unstable for a variety of reasons, which may include mental illness, addiction, issues related to a bad childhood, etc. (2) One partner has a momentary lapse of judgement and cheats and the other partner can't forgive them, or (3) the relationship slowly degrades over time for both people.

In the first case, sometimes people have latent issues and they either temporarily get better (an addict stops using for a while, a person with a mood disorder pursues treatment, etc), *or* the partner knows the issues are there and chooses to ignore them initially, fooling themselves or falsely believing that things will magically get better in the future.

This "fooling yourself" phenomenon is a lot of what goes on -- you fall in love with who you want the person to be versus who they really are. Over time, your veneer gets stripped away, you see them for who they really are and it’s no longer acceptable.

The tragic situation is when someone who was emotionally healthy when you met and dated them has a breakdown after you're married and just becomes unlivable due to their issues. That's rare but it certainly does happen, people just "go crazy" sometimes.

The third scenario is really what the quote above is about. Chances are if the husband is ignoring the wife's complaints, it’s because he's not very motivated to respond to them. The reason is generally that he's not having his needs met either, and his complaints are likely also being ignored.

That's the vicious cycle that tends to land people here -- your needs aren't being met, so you're less motivated to provide your wife with what she needs. Her needs aren't being met, so she's not motivated to give you what you need, and that spinning wheel eventually drives you apart until one person (or both people) decides they want out.

Sometimes the scenarios are combined, you could have all three things going on.

My point is, unless you "went crazy" after you married W, this is in *no way* your fault for not responding to her complaints. She is equally if not more culpable than you are in that regard. Don't let her off the hook for that, and don't shoulder the blame.

It's good to be aware of these dynamics so that you can identify and avoid them in the future, but you're not guilty.

Here's what I mean when I say "make things worse": you are genetically wired to protect your wife and kids. When she's in distress, your first instinct is going to be to try to make things better. When you feel that you're making an effort to relieve her distress, it brings you a feeling of relief.

When you don't respond to her distress, it’s going to make you feel uncomfortable. You're going to get a cortisol dump and it’s going to be very tempting to act to make that bad feeling stop.

You'll tell yourself stories that you're being a bad person, or that you're "pushing her away" to justify trying to relieve your discomfort. "Making things worse" means that you grin and bear it.

You basically need to withdraw support -- emotional support and financial support to the degree possible. If she makes a mess, *she* needs to clean it up. You do not step in and enable her in any way.

If she gets mad at you, you shrug it off, you don't engage.

If she cries in front of you, you let her cry and you make NO effort to comfort her.

You go out and "get a life" and you don't feel *any* responsibility to explain or justify what you're doing, you just do it.

Very important: You are *not* mean, punishing, or passive aggressive. You don't make nasty comments. You don't go out of your way to inconvenience her, you simply act as if you are completely uninterested and unaffected by her.

If she wants to make love to OM in your front yard, you walk past, smile and wave. It just doesn't impact you emotionally.

When she senses that she's losing control over you, she *will* fight back. She will try to manipulate you to stay invested in her. The more you resist, the harder she will try. She'll scream and yell, she'll accuse, she'll break down and cry, she'll blame. The minute you engage, you lose. This will be uncomfortable, it will feel *worse* than giving in to her and engaging. That's what making things worse means.

Often people mistake this fighting on the part of the WAW as interest -- that they want you back and that's why they're engaging you. Don't be fooled -- you being emotionally invested in her is an insurance policy and nothing else. If things go horribly wrong with her affair partners and outside interests, she can always come back to her comfortable marriage.

It’s a huge comfort to know that she has you to fall back on if things go badly for her. You need to pull that safety net away entirely.

She needs to *fully believe* that you will not be there for her if she chooses to return, and that if she wants to come back she's going to have to work for it.

You can't tell her that, she'll never believe it. You have to show her that beyond a doubt with your actions.

Ever run into a crazy person on the sidewalk who points at you and yells at you? You do what you can to minimize the interaction but after that you move on. It doesn't ruin your day, it certainly doesn't hurt your self-esteem or make you feel worse about who you are.

You need to regard her with exactly the same level of detachment and disinterest. Whatever she does, your toes are still tapping.

At the same time, you have to build a life for yourself that anyone would want to be a part of, full of fun activities, outside interests, and engaging friends. If you can do both of those things -- completely emotionally uncouple from her (fake it until you make it) *and* build an amazing life for yourself, she'll clamor to come back and if she doesn't you won't care. That's your only winning path out of where you are, but getting there is going to be uncomfortable, and more painful than you feel today, because it will go against your white knight nature.
Rock, I'm very sorry you're here. Everything she told you about your faults was nonsense to justify her affair. When you then respond to her complaints you validate them, so she feels even more entitled to have her affair.

You've been trying to "nice your way back" for the last seven months.

It's not working, it will never work.

You cannot placate her, you cannot "prove your love" through acts of giving and support.

You also cannot push her away by withdrawing support.

She has chosen her course of action, and as of right now, *nothing* you do will impact it.

Your shortest path back together is to go the opposite direction.
Posted By: DnJ Re: Action 6 - 01/06/23 04:30 PM
Excellent post LH!
Posted By: DnJ Re: Action 6 - 01/06/23 04:33 PM
Rock, please start a new thread.
Posted By: DnJ Re: Action 6 - 01/06/23 05:24 PM
Next Thread.

New Year
© DivorceBusting.com