Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: Cadet DB Software update COMING - 07/06/18 09:07 AM
I am starting this thread because I just got a notice that in the next few weeks we will be upgrading to a higher version of UBB software and then we will be also purging the forum of older threads.
I am trying to find out what those parameter will be but I had started this thread about 4 years ago on the MLC forum on how to save your posts.
So the first post follows:

If you didnt notice this I re-post it here

NOTICE: We are running maintenance and pruning the forums this week and next. If there are any Topics or Posts you want to keep, please save them asap, as they may be deleted.
WE WILL DO OUR BEST TO KEEP THE FORUMS UP AND RUNNING.
HOWEVER, THERE MAY BE TIMES DURING THIS PROCESS WHEN THEY ARE DOWN.
THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING.

So if you want to save your threads here is how.

Find the thread you want
Click on Topic options in upper left corner
Then print options
Then print to a file rather than paper

Hope that helps

Thanks
Posted By: Cadet Re: DB PURGE COMING - 07/06/18 09:08 AM
Also once this happens the disappearing posts problems should go away.
Posted By: HelenaJ Re: DB PURGE COMING - 07/06/18 09:10 AM
Oh gosh, thanks for letting us know! I just got mine back, definitely do not want to lose them!
Posted By: Cadet Re: DB PURGE COMING - 07/18/18 03:00 PM
As of this time the PURGE has been put on hold.

Since the new forum software has been performing well it is possible that it will not be required,
at least as of this time.

If something changes I will let everyone know.
Posted By: ovrrnbw Re: DB PURGE COMING - 07/18/18 03:56 PM
Thanks for the update, I was trying to get this figured out.
Posted By: Cadet Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 05/26/21 12:23 PM
Bumping up this thread as we were notified that a software update will be coming soon.
(maybe June).

I am not sure there will be a purge but hopefully some of our issues will get fixed.

If I hear anymore I will post here.
Posted By: job Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 05/26/21 08:02 PM
To add to Cadet's posting. If there are any postings/threads that you want to keep for future reference, I suggest that you copy them and save them elsewhere. Generally, when an upgrade/purge is done, many of the "old" postings disappear. Whatever you want to save, please do so as soon as possible as we do not know the exact date that this new update will take place in June.
Posted By: Elbereth Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 05/28/21 01:11 AM
Do we know if old just means a few years back or will all old content be deleted? Very sad as there is sooo much good content on here that is still valuable...but older.
Posted By: job Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 05/28/21 06:27 PM
Elbereth,

Generally the "old" content is removed. Last time around, we were asked what we would like to keep on the site. I do not know if that will be done this time around. We have lost lots of "old" data from years ago when purging/updating has taken place. The system can only hold so much data...so, if I were you, I would copy what you have found useful and put it in a safe place.
Posted By: Cadet Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 05/28/21 08:09 PM
Currently it seems that purged posts went from inception 1999 to aprox 2005, so in all likely hood most posters currently posting will not be affected, imho.

Of course that does not include Job who has been posting here since Jan 2000 and she will likely lose posts in the next purge.

We are only guessing that this might happen.

Currently we have Total Posts 1,812,327
that is a lot of posts.
Posted By: Traveler Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 06/02/21 04:33 PM
Any hope this update will make the EDIT button work in the "Surviving.." forum, make the site stop having a Database Error about 10% of the time when I visit, or get rid of the flashing "You've got mail" icon?

(Thought this was a good time to point out recurring technical issues. Most software has a bug reporting process for minor issues, and they tend to get fixed in 1-2 release ecycles.)
Posted By: job Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 06/02/21 06:56 PM
We can only hope that many of those little annoying quirks will go away. Just keep in mind....Cadet and I are volunteers and the professionals at the "business center" will be the ones to do the actual work in getting the updates in place, etc.
Posted By: Traveler Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 06/02/21 07:25 PM
You two are very much appreciated! It's amazing you stick around to moderate, when your own stories are far enough behind, you rarely feel an urge to post anything about them.
Posted By: Cadet Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 06/03/21 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by CWarrior
You two are very much appreciated! It's amazing you stick around to moderate, when your own stories are far enough behind, you rarely feel an urge to post anything about them.

Its called PAYING IT FORWARD.

And thats what most posters here do on a daily basis.
Posted By: tadpole1025 Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 06/07/21 04:45 PM
I'm really torn. I don't want to read any of my stories, but there is so much stuff from the old timers that may be lost. The newbies won't be able to benefit from it. I never read them anymore, but I have a lot of the old stuff that helped me already saved. I just wish the newbies could read some of the wisdom that helped me early on: Cadet, job, J3B (RIP), HeartsBlessing, Eric, UrWorthy, AJM, MHL, I could go on and on.

Tad
Posted By: SteveLW Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 06/07/21 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by tadpole1025
I'm really torn. I don't want to read any of my stories, but there is so much stuff from the old timers that may be lost. The newbies won't be able to benefit from it. I never read them anymore, but I have a lot of the old stuff that helped me already saved. I just wish the newbies could read some of the wisdom that helped me early on: Cadet, job, J3B (RIP), HeartsBlessing, Eric, UrWorthy, AJM, MHL, I could go on and on.

Tad

R2C's quote threads can preserve some.
Posted By: job Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 06/10/21 01:16 PM
In one of the purges, we lost the MLC archives, which had a lot of sage advice that was posted way back when this Board was formed. Unfortunately, over time, those sage postings were lost. Like many on-line forums, eventually a cleaning needs to be done and that is why Cadet and I are warning posters what is to come. Many of the older postings may go (again). During the last purge, I opted to have many of my old postings deleted and only kept a few here for those who wish to read them. I haven't decided yet whether to keep those threads that I have on here to stay or not.
Posted By: SteveLW Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 06/10/21 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by job
In one of the purges, we lost the MLC archives, which had a lot of sage advice that was posted way back when this Board was formed. Unfortunately, over time, those sage postings were lost. Like many on-line forums, eventually a cleaning needs to be done and that is why Cadet and I are warning posters what is to come. Many of the older postings may go (again). During the last purge, I opted to have many of my old postings deleted and only kept a few here for those who wish to read them. I haven't decided yet whether to keep those threads that I have on here to stay or not.

I vote yes. You and Cadet are some of the wisest DBers here.
Posted By: Cadet Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 07/19/21 12:17 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT

Virginia just sent me this
I'm writing to let you know that we are doing an upgrade to the OnLine Community. If all goes according to plan it should take place around 8:00 pm central time and should take about an hour or two. The boards will be down during the upgrade.
Posted By: Cadet Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 07/21/21 01:24 PM
Wow the forum looks different.
Posted By: BL42 Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 07/30/21 01:42 AM
The stability and performance of the forum has been awful since the update - offline for a full day earlier this week, and intermittently will load very slowly or sometimes not at all. Any the IT folks aware and looking into the issues?
Posted By: Traveler Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 07/30/21 09:18 AM
Yeah, I was going to reply to a thread tonight and gave up. I couldn�t load the thread like 5x in a row.
Posted By: AndrewP Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 07/30/21 10:12 AM
Any update is going to have some settling in time. Considering that this is free and I expect that it generates minimal revenue for MWD a wobble here and there is fine by me.
Posted By: job Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 07/30/21 12:51 PM
Cadet and I are very much aware of the issues and have pointed them out to the powers that be. That is all we can do.
Posted By: smilie Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 07/31/21 09:48 PM
Job, I was unaware of this thread, so apologies for posting on the other one.

I cannot send private messages due to permissions, so I sent a report - it said "Sent to moderator".

It was only brief and I thought it may help. Your admins should know what to change.

Originally Posted by Smilie
Originally Posted by job
Also, the issue about things being altered by a string of weird characters...that has been going on for years...another issue that has not been fixed, and tends to pop back up into the system with upgrades.
That may be the unicode translation not being configured correctly?

The code source in the header shows: <meta charset="iso-8859-1"> should be <meta charset="utf-8">.

I have checked this against another installation of the same software on another site. Hope that helps.

I'm not sure about the length of time it takes to post, but it could well be something to do with failing on DNS lookups as sometimes you get a Gateway Timeout.

I was an IT Manager/system admin back in the day. I hope you don't think that I was speaking out of turn. smile

Best,
Posted By: job Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 08/01/21 12:43 AM
smilie,

No apologies necessary and no, you were not speaking out of turn. Others have advised us over the years what needs to be done. Unfortunately, all we can do is relay the problems and hope for the best in getting them fixed.

Cadet and I use to get notifications when someone reported something, but we have not been getting those notifications for several months. Yes, we have reported several times and we were hoping that the update would bring things back to a normal way of doing business. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. We were advised a week ago that only a portion of the update had been completed because the person doing the update had a personal emergency and needed to be away from the office for a period of time. So, it looks like Cadet and I will have plenty to report on come Monday.

BTW, private messaging has never been activated in the many years that I have been her. I am curious to find out if the editing capability has been reactivated for the "Divorce" forum. Another one that I have reported a number of times not working.

I guess we shall call this update a work in progress. All will be reported on Monday and then we shall see what happens.
Posted By: Cadet Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 08/02/21 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by job
smilie,

No apologies necessary and no, you were not speaking out of turn. Others have advised us over the years what needs to be done. Unfortunately, all we can do is relay the problems and hope for the best in getting them fixed.

Cadet and I use to get notifications when someone reported something, but we have not been getting those notifications for several months. Yes, we have reported several times and we were hoping that the update would bring things back to a normal way of doing business. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. We were advised a week ago that only a portion of the update had been completed because the person doing the update had a personal emergency and needed to be away from the office for a period of time. So, it looks like Cadet and I will have plenty to report on come Monday.

BTW, private messaging has never been activated in the many years that I have been her. I am curious to find out if the editing capability has been reactivated for the "Divorce" forum. Another one that I have reported a number of times not working.

I guess we shall call this update a work in progress. All will be reported on Monday and then we shall see what happens.
YUP to all of the above.

I just tried "Likking" JOB's post as I have no idea what that does.
We will see if anything happens from that.

Sorry folks - my pay grade here is the same as users, so I get the same results but I do know that the administrator is trying.
Posted By: SteveLW Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 08/02/21 02:55 PM
Didn't even notice the Like button until your post, cadet! ROFL I am as observant as a rock.
Posted By: job Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 08/02/21 03:17 PM
I received word back from the Administrator this morning...they are working on the glitches and have apologized for the inconvenience. No time line as to when the issues will be resolved...so, please be patient. As Cadet has pointed out...my pay grade is the same as the users as well. Cadet and I will keep you informed as we move along in the week.
Posted By: Traveler Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 08/04/21 10:57 AM
FYI, I'm able to login to the site only like 1-2x/day now. I probably tried 10x today. Otherwise, either the "login" link or the place I type in a user/pass hangs and/or returns an error--I think it was "bad gateway". I've tried from a phone (Safari & cellular) and pc (Edge, Chrome & wifi).
Posted By: SteveLW Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 08/04/21 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by CWarrior
FYI, I'm able to login to the site only like 1-2x/day now. I probably tried 10x today. Otherwise, either the "login" link or the place I type in a user/pass hangs and/or returns an error--I think it was "bad gateway". I've tried from a phone (Safari & cellular) and pc (Edge, Chrome & wifi).

I think when you get bad Gateway the site is down. I think the site is constantly going down and coming back up.
Posted By: job Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 08/04/21 12:53 PM
The powers to be are very much aware of the issues. They are working on it! Please be patient. Trust me, I would be one of the happiest people if the site were working properly. I am very aware of of the posters' frustration because Cadet and I are right there with you.
Posted By: Traveler Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 08/04/21 12:55 PM
Thanks, Steve & Job. I appreciate the effort and am not going anywhere. (:
Posted By: Cadet Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 08/05/21 02:47 PM
Well the forum is up - I totally missed yesterday due to a funeral.

Still not to my liking but at least I can log on.

It still seems slow to respond but not as bad as it was.

And still no report button or e-mail notification for the moderators - UGH.

That makes our position much more difficult to manage.

Well we will carry on, anyways.
Posted By: LH19 Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 08/05/21 03:15 PM
I have no problems gaining access from computer. Issues still persist with IPAD or Phone.
Posted By: Cadet Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 08/12/21 08:12 PM
Virginia let us know that the upgrade is finally complete.

So hopefully the logging on issues are now over.
Posted By: AndrewP Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 08/13/21 09:35 AM
Everything does seem to be working great. Many thanks to the team for keeping this resource available and their patience with us all.
Posted By: Cadet Re: DB UPDATE COMING - 08/13/21 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Everything does seem to be working great. Many thanks to the team for keeping this resource available and their patience with us all.
So Andrew can you use the "LIKE" button - I liked your post and I can see that, was wondering if this is working for anyone else?
© DivorceBusting.com