Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: Maybell 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 05/01/15 06:45 PM
First thread:
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2558023&page=1

I'm not in training at the moment. Work, house, kids, it's all too much. But I'm feeling the need of it. How do y'all work exercise into a constricted schedule? What motivates you to get on the treadmill/bike/road/trail at 5 am?
Posted By: stacey9 Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 05/01/15 09:09 PM
Thanks for starting this thread Maybell!

Running has helped me so much and is now my favourite thing. I have even managed to get 3 colleagues involved.

I am not a morning runner but run 4 nights a week, which does mean that after finishing work, making dinner and doing housework I have no time for anything else midweek.

It's the results that motivate me which I first noticed about 3 months after starting. That and the buzz!

I think I'm needing to up my game a bit - maybe increase my distance or try to go a bit faster. I'm still doing around 8.5K.
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 05/03/15 11:03 PM
Ran 4 miles today. 2 slow with S11 and 2 fast by myself. Felt great. Found a great running song - put it on endless loop and listened to it for the whole run.
Maybell, my motivation any time I run is to clear my mind and think of nothing else but running. It is probably my biggest GAL activity right now. I admit it feels so good that it is becoming a bit of an addiction. Luckily, I am not in good enough shape to do it all day. One drawback is that I was exhausted by dinner time. I probably should go to sleep earlier at night.
The weather really turned this week so I am going to get out some more of it doesn't interfere with upcoming Bar-mitzvah plans.
On the subject of GAL, is there a thread that is dedicated specifically to GAL activities? I would like to add some to my repertoire. You'd think I could come up with a few, but I have yet to find one that fits me. I have been so into work and family for so long that I have neglected my own interests to the point that I am not even sure what they are. Pretty sorry, huh?

RAI
Posted By: Maybell Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 05/03/15 11:37 PM
There used to be a GAL thread but it died. Seems to have been killed in the purge. If somebody will start it I'll look for 25's giant list.

Now the weather is nice if like to get out more but scheduling is a problem with my childcare responsibilities. What's the repeat loop song? Please don't say Uptown Funk. smile

Way to go on getting out!
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 05/04/15 01:57 AM
No its definitely not uptown funk smirk
It is "rather be" by clean bandit. A bit faster than my usual running pace, but so upbeat. I must confess, I actually turned on the strobe light on my smartphone and danced to it alone in my room in the dark last night by myself. Pretty pathetic, I know. Thank goodness this site is anonymous.

It kind of makes me realize how much I miss dancing, tho.

Maybell, You may have more luck cycling than running with kids your age. They could probably keep up passably. It's not running, but it will keep you conditioned until you can run more. Just a thought.

RAI
Posted By: lost18 Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 05/04/15 02:41 AM
Or you can run while the kids bike! I have friends that run at 5am but I can't seem to get myself up to do it when I'm working!

I've been running twice a week...not enough but am almost back up to 3 miles! I'll take that as progress although I use to run 4 or 5 easy.

Hahaha RAI...that made me LOL! Good for you! I'm not a dancer but I like to sing loud when I'm by myself...nobody else wants to hear me!
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 05/04/15 02:57 AM
Lost,

I don't give a cr-p if you can carry a melody or not. Belt it out, baby!

Who's up for karaoke! smile

When is your 1/2 marathon?

RAI
Posted By: lost18 Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 05/04/15 03:36 AM
My half is Nov 8th and I'm doing the Ragnar Relay in Feb 2016 and possibly a color vibe at the end of May. I will probably schedule a few smaller races once I get back from vacation.
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 05/04/15 02:12 PM
I had never heard of a Ragnar relay. I googled it. Sounds like a great GAL and social activity. Way cool!

Looks like we still have plenty of time until our 1/2s. I hope to intensify my training soon.

RAI
Posted By: lost18 Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 05/05/15 02:30 AM
I did it a couple of years ago and it is a blast...doesn't hurt that my finish line is in Key West!

I was signed up to do it in 2014 as well but I didn't train and H was home during that time so I backed out...of course he probably wished I would have gone considering that was right before the bomb!
Posted By: Card29 Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 05/07/15 08:27 PM
My feet are in their best condition in 2 years now. Still slight heel pain, but manageable with a bit of stretching before a run and ice afterwards.

I'm more into trail running now, a bit softer. On Tuesday I went for a 3-4 mile barefoot run in a park near my work during my lunch. I think it was too far for my first barefoot run in years, should have stuck to 1 mile then put on shoes. So my feet were burning some yesterday. All good today, and I intend to do it again.
Posted By: lost18 Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 05/14/15 09:50 PM
Slacking in the running area...my running partner has been unavailable for the past two weeks and have only run once! I went out with a huge storm rolling in and got wet (it was actually breezy, cool running weather.) I had to head back in when the lighting was too close tho!
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 05/14/15 10:05 PM
Card, glad to see you back on your feet. I think I will shoot for 3-4 miles one day this week. Not barefoot, tho!

Losty, I have also been slacking. Had a lot of other things going on. there has been some great weather and I am missing a lot of it. Summer does not last forever. Need to get back on track. My eating and sleeping habits are deteriorating a bit too. Also need to get back to working out. All good things to aspire to.

ADIDAR! All Day I Dream About Running.

RAI
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/21/15 08:08 AM
It's summer the sun is shining. This thread has been dormant for too long. Anyone have anything cheerful to say? I could really use it.

RAI
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/25/15 01:18 PM
c'mon people! I have never heard of the summer doldrums before. Is anyone out there? Are we all so absorbed in our sitchs that we have completely forgot about running or any other GAL activities?

I have a lot about to happen. Will be meeting with my L this week to strategize for D. Made some progress in figuring out my expenses in advance of the D. Will be meeting with child psychologist to discuss children (more on that in my thread). Most importantly, I will be telling the children frown . Of course, I am still working full time. I have many excuses right now to feel sorry for myself and to just abandon all DB principles.

So I have a lot going on - as much as anyone else here, I dare say. That is why I NEED to GAL. Now is not the time to abandon our GAL strategies. Now is precisely the time to GAL. I am SURE there are other like me out there right now. I have been by your threads. There is nary a smile to be found. I see a lot of people giving in (without mentioning names). Let's lift each other up. Let's support each other. Let's smile. Why would we give up on our most important asset - ourselves? Force yourself to put those shoes on and get going. This is my challenge - to myself and to you.

I will start you off: I ran 4.5 miles two days ago. I stocked up on protein/energy bars and am back in hydrating mode. I am going to make myself run today, weather permitting. If I don't then I will have to do some weight training.

What are YOU going to do today?

RAI

People! please please respond. If not for yourselves, then for RAI. I need to see it. Grassroots, baby.
Posted By: Cadet Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/25/15 01:45 PM
Originally Posted By: RAI
What are YOU going to do today?

Today I am working however Saturday will be going to a 45th high school reunion, not mine just yet, mine will have to wait for 2 years.
Still it should be a great time!

Finished my class on Marriage in the Movies given for free on the internet.
Watched 11 movies for the class,
learned about the
Seven marriage problems listed as most realistic to least realistic in the movies.

1) Money
2) Infidelity
3) Inlaws & Children
4) Incompatibility
5) Class distinctions
6) Addictions
7) Murder

and I aced the final, of course it took 3 tries..... cool but who is counting.

Hope that provides you with some entertainment for today.

OOPS - I guess I was suppose to be running instead! confused

Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/25/15 02:09 PM
Still fascinating (even though it is not running). I am surprised that addiction is so low on the list! I consider my WWs A to be an addiction.

Thanks for the entertainment. Good to see that someone is working on GAL.

RAI
Posted By: Cadet Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/25/15 02:20 PM
Still fascinating (even though it is not running). I am surprised that addiction is so low on the list! I consider my WWs A to be an addiction.

Affairs were considered as infidelity in the movies, which is #2.

Also surprisingly the movie code said concerning infidelity:
"Don't do it" -- "but if you want to do it, do it carefully."
Posted By: u-turn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/25/15 03:14 PM
RAI - you've inspired me. I'm not a runner, but I am hopping on my bike and going to over-do an over-due initial ride laugh as I usually do and then tell everyone how awesome I feel. Going for 16 mi today (that's a lot for me and my old heavy bike).
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/25/15 04:18 PM
Quote:
Also surprisingly the movie code said concerning infidelity:
"Don't do it" -- "but if you want to do it, do it carefully."
depressing how blase the film industry treats it.

u-turn!
Now you're talking!!! Let's do this. Pass it on! I will hopefully have an update tomorrow.

Rock on!

RAI
Posted By: job Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/25/15 04:24 PM
RAI,
This thread may be dormant because Maybell has moved over to the Divorce Forum.
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/25/15 04:34 PM
thanks job,

Although I have not seen much from Maybell lately, I did not know she had moved to the D forum. I will probably be over there myself, soon enough. Nevertheless,I don't think that is a reason that the thread should be dormant. Let's resurrect it!

Any more takers??

RAI
Posted By: Bob723 Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/25/15 05:17 PM
Any more takers??

Me! grin
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/25/15 05:24 PM
Bob,

Not only do you win the award for shortest post EVER, but you're awesome!!!

Summer is just starting. We, in the northern hemisphere, have at least a couple of months of glorious weather. LETS...NOT...WASTE...IT!!!

RAI
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/26/15 03:25 PM
I DID IT!!

Ran with a friend at 10:15 PM. a bit humid, but not hot out. AND NO RAIN! We ran on a track. Nice even gentle surface. He runs a bit slower than I do. All in all, it was a pretty leisurely enjoyable 4 miles. He bailed at mile 3 (waited for me on the side), so I could step up the pace a bit. Just what I needed. We talked a lot. He knows about my sitch. I wish I could do something like that every night.

I wonder if I will have time to squeeze in some Ab work this afternoon. Anyone have a good Ab workout or know where I can find one.

Next run, weather permitting, Sunday. Who's with me??? WHO'S WITH ME?

RAI
Posted By: PigPen Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/26/15 03:36 PM
Hey Rai,

I do this day in and day out with people, training people all over the country for both events and weight loss. Here's a solid ab series for you - it's four, one minute sets. There's no rest between minutes, but rest as much as you need throughout the four minute series. In the beginning this is going to be very hard, but try to do it three to four days per week.

Minute 1 - do as many full sit ups as you can
Minute 2 - hold a tight plank position on your elbows
Minute 3 - do as many unweighted v-twists as you can
Minute 4 - do as many full sit ups as you can to finish.

Have fun.

PP
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/26/15 05:39 PM
PigPen!

Originally Posted By: PigPen
Have fun.

You call that fun?? grin My sitch sounds less painful than what you described smile

I am going to do it. Hold me to it. Hopefully I will be reporting in with my six-pack in a few months.

I had no idea that we have a full-blown trainer in our midst. Thanks so much!!!!!

RAI
Posted By: Bob723 Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/26/15 07:06 PM
Not only do you win the award for shortest post EVER, but you're awesome!!!
RAI,

LOL...thanks so much!
Posted By: Bob723 Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/26/15 07:09 PM
Hello Maybell,

A friend passed this along to me today. I found it encouraging and wanted to share it with you:

Faith…Trust…Hope…Confidence…Love…Attitude

{1}
Once all villagers decided to pray for rain,
on the day of prayer all the people gathered,
but only one boy came with an umbrella.

That's FAITH

{2}
When you throw a baby in the air,
she laughs because she knows you will catch her.

That's TRUST

{3}
Every night we go to bed,
without any assurance of being alive the next morning
but still we set the alarms to wake up.

That's HOPE

{4}
We plan big things for tomorrow
in spite of zero knowledge of the future.

That's CONFIDENCE

{5}
We see the world suffering,
but still we get married and have children.

That's LOVE

{6}
On an old lady's shirt was written a sentence
'I am not 80 years old....
I am sweet 16 with 64 years experience'

That's ATTITUDE

Have a happy day,

Live your life like the six stories above!
Posted By: u-turn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/26/15 07:53 PM
That's great Bob!! inspiring.

Biking happened yesterday - short one today before the nasty weather again - I should build an ark or at least a get a row boat for exercise instead.

Got my 16 miles in without pause, nice quiet ride, no music, no conversation, just my skinny legs and fat tires (got to work on those things) - wish I had my old road race bike again.

10 mile ride today. This really helps and I remember how much it helped me get through last summer.

Thanks for the nudge RAI.
Posted By: Maybell Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/27/15 03:07 AM
Bob, I liked that a lot. I may give it to D12 to turn into art for the new house I am putting an offer on tomorrow. smile

My FIRST resolution on getting through this trying time in my life is to get my exercise groove back. I'm enlisting the kids to help make it happen. I want to start running races again.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive!!!!
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 06/28/15 03:50 AM
GO MAYBELL GO! GO MAYBELL GO! GO MAYBELL GO!

Rooting for you!

Thanks for starting the thread in the first place!

RAI

P.S. Over-using exclamation marks and loving it!
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 07/03/15 05:02 PM
I ran another 4 miles last night. a little pain in my foot, but nothing too serious. Felt great. Ran with a buddy. We actually talked about him and his life the whole time - for a change. It was nice not to be focused on myself for a change.

I tried PigPen's 4 minute ab workout last night after my run. first minute, sit ups, no problem this is easy. Second minute, the plank, ugghh, I can do this. third minute, v-twist, I have obliques? I didn't even know I have obliques. I felt pain in muscles I did not know I had. That felt like way more than 60 seconds. Had to stop multiple times. Last minute, more sit ups, not so easy this time.

Thanks again PigPen!!!!

RAI
Posted By: PigPen Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 07/03/15 05:26 PM
Glad you liked it Rai, I try to do it three or four times a week. Strong abs = a strong life. You can train your abs every day too, its also a great way to burn off stress.

Every rep in the that series gets me closer to some kind of resolution, that's what I tell myself at least!

Keep at it. It won't get easier, but it will become different.
Posted By: u-turn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 07/03/15 10:04 PM
cycling again - think I will load the bike into the truck and go somewhere else - make a half day of it.

I've been trying to get on every other day at least. It is sometimes hard to find the time because I want to be around when the kids need me - maybe I want the kids to need me and I don't want to miss it. But anyway - at least 10 mile a ride - I have to start watching my weight again. I am on the light side and eating is sometimes a burden.

I like this ab workout PP, but what's a v-twist? I'll have to look that one up.

cheers!
Posted By: PigPen Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 07/03/15 10:19 PM
Hi U-turn,

Think of it this way:

The only thing touching the ground are your sit bones. your legs are straight out but of of the ground. Your back is arched so you're in a V position - literally. You touch side to side with either both hands or a weighted object. It's all for rotation.

Enjoy.

PP
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 09/10/15 05:00 PM
Long overdue GAL update. I ran 7 miles last weekend. It felt greeat (extra "e" intended). I did an hour on the elliptical last night. 1/2 marathon is about 6 weeks away. I am hoping to do 8 miles this weekend.

I know there were others in our cohort (e.g. Lost18) who were planning to run marathons or 1/2-marathons. Well, marathon season is almost upon us. Anyone with updates?

RAI
Posted By: Vanilla Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 09/11/15 04:27 AM
Maybe my next series should be called the V twist?

No one should be in the V position, not even V!

V
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 09/11/15 01:56 PM
V has twisted herself out of many a predicament and has come out stronger and better for it. That's a great position to be in.

RAI
Posted By: Maybell Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 09/14/15 03:54 AM
I've been running with a neighbor VEEEERRRRRY early in the mornings and I'm getting noticeably faster and enjoying more stamina. Signing up for a 4-miler in October with plans to run half a in February and May.

When BD first hit just over two years ago I had just recently taken up running. I was training for my first half and although I was ten pounds lighter than I am now, for about a year it was SO hard to run because I felt like I was carrying a cargo of cannon balls in my chest. Now that time is working its magic and I have a great running partner and a series of small goals, I'm so impressed at how much more my body can do than I ever realized. It's lovely.

I'm glad to see this thread is still active!
Posted By: gan Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 09/14/15 06:05 PM
Nice to hear from you Maybell! Hope things are well at your end (sounds like it).
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 09/16/15 04:17 PM
great to hear from you Maybell. I stop by your thread from time to time. I keep wondering when/if I should migrate over to that forum. In the meantime, I hope all is well.

I ran 8 miles this past weekend. I think I am in better shape than the last time I ran the 1/2 marathon, 2 years ago. However, I really feel those 8 miles now - and it was 3 days ago! getting closer to taper date. Would like to go a bit further. Starting to get nervous.

Any advice is appreciated.

RAI
Posted By: WhyUs Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 09/16/15 06:06 PM
Hey, i am training for a half as well. I am up to 5 miles. The race is early November. I hope this training plan works.
Posted By: pinn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 09/16/15 07:52 PM
My half is in a month... Can't wait!
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 09/17/15 02:25 PM
WhyUs and Pinn, good luck. "They" say it takes 16 weeks to train for a 1/2-marathon. Also, and I have experience in this, you should be able to run at least 1/2 the marathon distance in advance of your actual marathon. So, in theory, if you can run 6.5 miles, you should be able to complete a 1/2 marathon. However, I would not rest on this and try to get to 8-10 miles before you begin your taper (without injuring yourself, of course). Personally, I would like to reach 10 miles before marathon day, but I will settle for 9.

Anyone with other thoughts?

RAI
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 09/21/15 07:24 PM
9 mile run...CHECK! It was beautiful day for running yesterday. A bit creepy because I started my run at 6:15 AM and it is still dark out. I found a new paved path. Was just what I needed.

The only question is: should I hold at 9 miles and be content with that or should I push for 10 miles? the marathon is 3 weeks and 6 days away.

Also, when should I begin my taper?

I am having some plantar pain - transient, nothing unbearable - but apart from that and some well-earned muscle pain, I feel pretty good.

Any veteran runners out there?

RAI

P.S. WhyUs and Pinn, Status updates?
Posted By: jjal Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 09/21/15 07:32 PM
Running a full marathon? If so, long run should be a 20-21 miler. If not, you are probably pretty close to long run distance, but my advice would be to Google marathon training plans.

If I remember correctly from W's training, taper is last week to 10 days.
Posted By: pinn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 09/21/15 07:49 PM
Hi rai... I went to 11 miles full of hills this weekend and I think I'll hit 12 next weekend. I am planning to taper down a week before. As long as I stretch good I should be all set. I want a time of 1.30 but will settle for under 1.45. I prob should be careful so I do not hurt myself.
Posted By: Maybell Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 09/22/15 11:10 PM
When I ran my half in November 2013 the longest training runs I had done were around 11 miles. The half went beautifully but I had already decided I was going to walk all the water stops. This worked beautifully -- I did all the running I had planned for and made my goal time. Since I had only been running six months of my life that was huge.

My goal this time is a fast pace, but I haven't decided what I'm going to do about walking the water stops. I probably still will -- the first half I did had very frequent water stops and I don't expect to have so many in the next one. But I'm thinking that I've got MUCH better training partners this time around AND I won't be fighting a broken heart chained to my ankle, so my running pace will be a lot stronger, which will mean a much better overall time. Another thing that will help is that I'm training in a Northern state but my next half is in February in a Southern state, so my cardio fitness will be better.

WRT to taper... I follow published training programs for that sort of thing.

Good luck y'all!!!
Posted By: pinn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 09/27/15 06:30 PM
got in a nice 12 miles today... I should be all set to go in a few weeks!
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 10/02/15 08:48 PM
Way to go Pinn!

My runmeter conked out on me mid run last weekend so I don't know the exact distance I ran. Luckily I know how long I ran for. I think I did about 10 miles. I really felt it for 3-4 days. As a gift to myself, I decided to do some swimming instead of pounding the pavement again- let my joints heal a bit. Swimming is kind of boring, excellent exercise... but kind of boring. I also have not quite figured out the breathing. I have no idea if my technique is good. It was just good to be in the water.

Last night I did the elliptical. What an awesome machine. Open-stride makes it even better.

I will have to take to the streets again eventually. Maybe today. This Sunday will probably be my last long run until the 1/2-marathon. then, comes the taper.

RAI
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 10/07/15 05:08 PM
Starting my taper. Did 8 miles over the weekend. Still a bit sore, but otherwise, all parts seems to be in working order.

Hopefully 4-5 miles tonight. Maybe hit the elliptical tomorrow.

Eye on the prize.

RAI
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 10/08/15 06:26 PM
6.5 miles last night. Felt good. minor muscle aches only. Elliptical tonight - hopefully.

Getting really close now.

In case I forget to mention it later, I will be "wearing" alot on my sleeve on race day. In particular, I want to say that although I will not be advertising it outwardly, I am running for all the DBers out there who have shared their struggles on this board. I am thankful for all of you who have been so supportive over the last year since I joined this treasured community. I have learned so much from so many of you.

We've gotten this far and that is a lot for which to be proud, but we all have ways to go. So let's keep on keepin' on!!!!

RAI
Posted By: pinn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 10/10/15 11:09 AM
Hi RAI... when is your half? Mine is in a week.
Posted By: lost18 Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 10/14/15 01:46 PM
Finally started running again last week! Determined to stay consistent and not beat myself up over how out of shape I allowed myself to get. I will not being doing the Half I signed up for in Nov but am still scheduled for the Ragnar Relay in Feb.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I can at least get to the point where I am running the entire trail we go to (a little less than 3 miles). I really need to lose some of he extra pounds I packed on. Yuck!
Posted By: pinn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 10/15/15 04:40 PM
do it up lost!
Posted By: pinn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 10/17/15 11:51 AM
race day tomorrow... just in time too... need something to keep my focus
Posted By: pinn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 10/18/15 04:26 PM
welp that's over with... time of 1.36.34 not bad but well short of the goal. Learned a few things and I'll get em next time. I'll do one again in the spring with a different training program.... hopefully it will be warmer than 30F degrees!!
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 10/19/15 10:29 PM
I also had my race yesterday. I shattered my PR by 24 minutes. My kids cheered me on along the course. Felt great, except the cold. Looks like we had similar weather, Pinn.

I really raised the bar for next time. Now, just some aches and pains to contend with.

RAI
Posted By: pinn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 10/20/15 12:04 AM
Killed it RAI.... congrats!! 24 minutes is huge. Are/When are you planning to do another? Do you live in Mass by any chance? Just wondering if we did the same one.
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 10/21/15 04:12 PM
I feel pretty good. I think I would like to do another. I don't know when or where. I think I am going to take the next few months to begin toning up a bit - I want some muscle now. Perhaps some yoga, too. I have always been very inflexible. We'll see.

I did not do the Mass marathon. I wish I could divulge where I ran. Really, I would love to meet my fellow DBers. You have all been so inspirational to me. How cool would it be to talk and share face-to-face. I always wonder whether your real-life personas are like your on-line personas.

RAI
Posted By: pinn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 10/21/15 08:05 PM
Best of luck with that RAI... You got it...I am going to do the same this winter and then do another half in the spring. My half had over 3000 people. I was just wondering if you ran so I could hear what you thought about the course. Soon it'll be time for the 2016 thread! Yoga would be interesting and probably good for me... I am so darn unflexible. Maybe I'll look into that
Posted By: Sotto Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 10/21/15 08:19 PM
My yoga teacher does a class for guys who do Ironman events.....he says they are so unflexible, they are like the tin man grin

I really recommend yoga. I love the class I go to. It's worth finding a good teacher. Not one who does aerobics and then thinks 'hey, I'll teach yoga too.' My teacher is an inner wheel guy and has tons of knowledge about what you are doing and why - easier versions, more intense, what to do if your knee is bad and so on...

Go for it!!
Posted By: pinn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 10/21/15 11:43 PM
hmmmm... that would be a heck of GAL activity for me... and new. I would need a beginners for beginners class though. I am going to do some research tonight. How expensive is it?
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 12/11/15 03:19 PM
I think we will need to change the name of the thread at some point.

Hey Pinn, did you start the Yoga? I did not. I have been so busy. So much to do, so little time. I did have a chance to run last night. 4 miles on the treadmill. I am amazed at how long it takes to get conditioned, and how little time it takes to decondition. It was a hard run.

There are so many options. I want to run, do the elliptical, weight train, and do yoga. I have access to all of this. I want to do it all. Is that too ambitious?

RAI
Posted By: pinn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 12/11/15 04:51 PM
Hey RAI!

I am such a wimp with the yoga. I am actually scared to do it which means I should! I feel like it would be odd for a male to go by himself to a class. I don't know... need to look at it. I need it though. I have a bit more time now that my cap stone class is complete... it is a goal for 2016.

I am going out running with a co-worker at lunch. He is hardcore and it's 6.5 miles which I haven't done since the half so that should be interesting.

I run and do weights. I am pretty intense in the gym, I am sure they all hate me. I don't care though. I am focused and it takes my mind away from other things ;-). I don't see much of a need for the elliptical for myself but I am definitely into the other 2 hopefully 3 soon. I don't think it is too ambitious.. go for the gold!

Another goal for 2016 is a marathon.... that will be tough though!
Posted By: RAI Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 01/04/16 03:01 PM
Hey Pinn,

Just keeping the thread alive. We have had unseasonably good weather, but I just could not capitalize on it. Preoccupation with D, and work. Just too much.

Who is going to challenge me???

RAI
Posted By: pinn Re: 5k Training: Spring 2015 Edition - 01/04/16 05:10 PM
I'll challenge you RAI! I am not one for excuses... you know what they say about excuses :-). You have to make time for yourself ya know and I think physical exercises is one of the best things you can do (it is for me anyway). I to am busy with work and MBA stuff. I started running with a coworker at lunch a few times a week. He is insanely fast, he really pushes me. He is training for a marathon so our runs are long for lunch time (6-7 miles), but I get through it and feel great after.

So RAI, it is time to make some time! The spring will be here before you know it!
© DivorceBusting.com