Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: Accuray Moving From Romantic Love to Mature Love - 01/06/12 06:06 PM
I've been reading "After the Affair" by Janis and Michael Spring. This passage resonated with me and I figured I would share it:

"Love is not static. We grow dissatisfied and move apart; affection returns and we pull together again. Some people, ignorant of the process, pull away when the good times end and assume the bad times will last forever. These people flee, mope, or drift into affairs. Others see the ups and downs as part of a dynamic process, which, when anticipated and understood, can enrich and revitalize their relationship, even give it a punch.

If you accept that feelings of love are neither steady nor constant, but travel in natural cycles, you'll be more prepared to bear up under the turmoil that follows periods of contentment, and see beyond it. Some researchers have documented that periods of discontent come at four-year intervals. Others trace the stages of love in a more linear progression, from romance to disillusion to maturity.

As psychologists Barry Dyn and Michael Glenn put it, the first stage is one of expansion and promise. The second is a time of contraction and betrayal, when both of you become less compromising, less available for change, and begin to retreat into rigid patterns and routines, many of which predate your relationship. At this point you're likely to feel immensely let down with each other and caught up in a handful of well-defined, interpersonal struggles, all variations on the same few themes that repeat themselves in different forms throughout the life of your relationship. If these domestic scenes don't tear the two of you apart, or wear you down, and if you can come to terms with each other's limitations, you're likely to enter the third stage of love -- one of compromise, accomodation, integration, and resolution.

Thus, somewhere after the romantic prelude, and as a prerequisite to entering a more solid, secure, intimate relationship, what must inevitably take place is a period of disenchantment. The person you deified turns out to have clay feet. The fairy tale you were living is now, it seems, a true-life story with no happily-ever-after. Your criticisms are likely to escalate and become more shrill, and your level of sexual excitement to decline. If you're going to bridge those choppy waters, you'll have to come to terms with the dimunition of everything that once seemed so thrilling or easy when you were courting.

Every sustained relationship has these moments of annoyance and disappointment, its gall and wormwood, if only because two people rarely have the same needs at any given moment. Qualities that you like in your partner on one day you're likely to hate on another, not necessarily because of anything your partner says or does differently, but because of conflicts within yourself. The attention you were so grateful for last Tuesday, you may resent today as a threat to your independence. The charm and gallantry you so admired on Wednesday, you may dismiss on Thursday as excessive need for attention. Unless you're blinded by love, there is no way to ignore, or to deny, one side without the other, no way to separate out what you love from what you hate, for they are two sides of the same person."

What I take from this is that most of us on the board are in the period of disenchantment (or the victim of it). If we can DB and get through this, "mature love" waits on the other shore, with compromise and resolution waiting for us.

Accuray
I most certainly hope this is true!
Posted By: kolja Re: Moving From Romantic Love to Mature Love - 01/06/12 06:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Accuray

What I take from this is that most of us on the board are in the period of disenchantment (or the victim of it).

I'm absolutely convinced that's PART of what's going on in ours...
Makes a lot of sense
Posted By: Mach1 Re: Moving From Romantic Love to Mature Love - 01/06/12 06:19 PM
Great words Accuray....

You are wise beyond your post count, in the ways of DB....

Thank you for paying it forward my friend...
Posted By: nhmom Re: Moving From Romantic Love to Mature Love - 01/06/12 06:21 PM
Thanks for the excerpt. It gives us LBS's hope to continue. I just wish someone could make the WAS see and understand this as well. It could save so much pain, tears, and agony and shorten the time of the "storm".
I think "After the Affair" is a great book. Along with "Not Just Friends," it was one of my primary sources of info and comfort during the start of my sitch. If anyone has read "NJF," I suggest picking up "AA" as well. They each cover things that aren't in each other.

I agree with Accuray that most of us LBS' are surviving as victims of the "disillusionment" stage. How paradoxical that getting through this stage can lead to the happiest stage of all.
Posted By: Accuray Re: Moving From Romantic Love to Mature Love - 01/08/12 01:58 AM
Thanks WestCoast, I put NJF on my kindle list

Accuray
Posted By: mr mr Re: Moving From Romantic Love to Mature Love - 01/08/12 03:03 AM
That's certainly how I see my sitch. We have this same dance about every 4 years.
Accuray thank you thank you thank you. That resonated so much with me. So much! I pray each day that we can all make it to the other side. I pray each day that our WAS can read something to this effect.

Can you email this to my H for me, ... please?

I really believe that what is waiting for me is better than what I had. THank you again - loved it!
Can we figure out a way to write this in the sky? Or maybe Leonardo DiCaprio can put it into our WAS brains? I wish there was a way for them to read this and see that there are other possibilities for our R other than to give up and walk away.

"If you're going to bridge those choppy waters, you'll have to come to terms with the dimunition of everything that once seemed so thrilling or easy when you were courting."

Should we rename "DB" to "Divorce Bridge"?

Thank you so much for sharing this excerpt. It's given me something to look forward to... if I can just build my bridge carefully enough.
I have both books and read part of Not "Just Friends". Guess I need to buckle down and read a chapter a day. Maybe it would help me with my motivation. I seem to have none.

Sometimes I wonder if my detachment is just another form of depression. Whatever it is it is working with dealing with my H.

And another song line goes through my head: Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Okay, A chapter a day! Thanks for the inspiration!
Posted By: adinva Re: Moving From Romantic Love to Mature Love - 01/08/12 04:24 PM
I think we all understand and agree with the ideas in that excerpt. The problem is spouses who don't understand, or don't want this kind of love. They believe in the butterflies and excitement, the WAHs are dreaming of hot young chicks just waiting to try new sexual positions with them.

As my IC likes to remind me, you can't MAKE them understand anything. You can't MAKE them want anything. You can't MAKE them do anything.

Debbie Downer, OUT!
They also believe in the idea that with a new person comes a clean slate. Everything will be perfect! All of their problems will disappear magically!

What they don't understand is that EVERY R has its own special package of problems. The affair R might very well have even more problems that the one with the LBS did.
Posted By: Accuray Re: Moving From Romantic Love to Mature Love - 01/09/12 02:27 PM
Originally Posted By: WestCoastFella
What they don't understand is that EVERY R has its own special package of problems. The affair R might very well have even more problems that the one with the LBS did.

From what I've read, it's guaranteed to have more problems. This is because the problems with the LBS don't go away, the LBS will always be a presence. Their unresolved personal issues don't go away, they now have to deal with those in the context of the LBS AND the new person, and finally, the new "lover" brings their own bag of goods to the party that will eventually surface and make things difficult.

There is no escape from "doing the work" if you want a long term relationship. You can either do it now with your spouse, or later with your lover, but sooner or later you have to do it or be alone.

Accuray
Posted By: gunny Re: Moving From Romantic Love to Mature Love - 01/09/12 04:40 PM
Very good post. I remember discussing this with my w before she left. While she did (she said), understand that r go through phases, and it is possible to fall out of love, she did not agree that you can also fall back into love. She seemed to feel that we were in a permanent down cycle, and that while recent counseling we had gone through had actually helped, it had not brought back her love for me. We went for 7 sessions!

It was clear to me, no matter what, she had to "get out of Dodge",

The sad thing is that I have read in a couple of different books, that couples who at one point described themselves as extremely unhappy in their m, if asked 5 years later their thoughts, 8of10 described themselves as now happy. When asked what changed they said time had shown them that things generally work out, things that really bothered them at one time had faded in significance. To me this is an incredible stat. It tells me that if couples could just somehow hold on, and make it through the "neutral zone" their marriages could enter the contentment stage. Wow!
Posted By: adinva Re: Moving From Romantic Love to Mature Love - 01/09/12 04:56 PM
That is reassuring, and another reason why detaching and working on yourself makes so much sense.
Posted By: dbmod Re: Moving From Romantic Love to Mature Love - 01/10/12 12:36 AM
^
That IS good to hear! I'm sitting here fighting my urge to say something I want to say to my H. So this gives me reason to just let it go and not worry.

So I am going to just keep being Switzerland and hope eventually my "neutrality" pays off.
© DivorceBusting.com