Divorcebusting.com
Hey, is this one any good?

La Perla Habana Black Pearl

CI's got a screaming deal on them (20 for $39.95). I like a good maduro (2nd probably only to a Corojo).

thanks,

Puppy
Sorry Puppy, I'm not familiar with that one. I have asked a friend of mine if he does though. I'll let you know if he has anything to say about it. He actually keeps a little book where he writes down his impressions of every cigar he smokes. He's a little nuts!

If you get a chance, take a look at my post where Jstar lays out her letter to her H. I really don't know what to tell her. I am only an accountant!
Let's split them. Five for $10. Less risk to you. Hedge your cigar futures.

Put me down for 5.
Is there a way to send "personal" messages oh this site?

How are you going to split them? Do you live near each other?
Quote:
How are you going to split them?

Just slice them down the middle longways. laugh

Are you in the alt universe?
Sort of? I found R2C, but I don't know if my page is really there or not. I can't seem to figure it out exactly.

I do see myself as a person who likes this: Pic of me and D with a fish.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/DivorceBusting?v=wall&ref=ts

Puppy - My friend says that these are good cigars with a full flavor and some omphhh! I'd give 'em a try. He usually knows what he is talking about.

After you chen you check-out on the CI website, watch for the bonus buy they offer. I got 12 Rocky 1990 Churchills for $29.95. They show a bunch of different deals and then start taking them away, so you have to decide quickly, but you can get a good deal.

Good luck!
don't forget to wash it down with a fine scotch.

drink responsibly.
Originally Posted By: Coach
Let's split them. Five for $10. Less risk to you. Hedge your cigar futures.

Put me down for 5.

DEAL! I'll hook up with you in the alt. Great idea!

Puppy
Originally Posted By: DumpedforMIL
don't forget to wash it down with a fine scotch.

drink responsibly.

Nah; I'm a bourbon guy. I'm thinking Makers Mark.
Originally Posted By: DanF
Sort of? I found R2C, but I don't know if my page is really there or not. I can't seem to figure it out exactly.

I do see myself as a person who likes this: Pic of me and D with a fish.

Puppy - My friend says that these are good cigars with a full flavor and some omphhh! I'd give 'em a try. He usually knows what he is talking about.

After you chen you check-out on the CI website, watch for the bonus buy they offer. I got 12 Rocky 1990 Churchills for $29.95. They show a bunch of different deals and then start taking them away, so you have to decide quickly, but you can get a good deal.

Good luck!

Thanks, Dan! I'm gonna give 'em a try.

And thanks for the suggestion on the CI offers. I usually just click quickly thru the checkout process, but now that you mention it, I did get a great deal once on some Professor Silas -- DIRT CHEAP. Made a great gift for my big brother, who loves flavored/sweet cigars.

Puppy
Quote:

you have good taste, my friend. smile

woodford reserve.
eagle rare. smile
Quote:

you have good taste, my friend. smile

woodford reserve.
eagle rare. smile

Dumpling! You've been holding back on us.
cool

woodford reserve.

Now THAT, is my absolute fave. That's a 1x/year, Ruth's Chris on my wife's and my wedding anniversary, drink.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Maker's Mark is a "I already have it in the liquor cabinet, anytime I want it," drink. cool

Puppy
Quote:
Dumpling! You've been holding back on us.

smile coach .. you have no idea what i am capable of.
besides, isn't a bit of mystery a good thing?

as a w, i watched, listened, and learned what my h liked.
he was a fan of bourbon. i don't talk about this much in case he's reading all of this.

p.s. don't get me started on the 2009 bordeaux futures. wink
Quote:
Now THAT, is my absolute fave. That's a 1x/year, Ruth's Chris on my wife's and my wedding anniversary, drink.

seriously? i put that in my pecan pie. smile oh i know woodford reserve is really good stuff.

have you tried the eagle rare 10 yr old?

I do see myself as a person who "likes" this on this page. Pic of me and D with a fish.

I can't figure this out Pup, any clues?

Originally Posted By: Puppy Dog Tails

Made a great gift for my big brother, who loves flavored/sweet cigars.

Puppy

Yuck! I hate flavored cigars.

Let me know if you get a good deal from CI!

I am a Jack Daniels lover!

have you tried the eagle rare 10 yr old?

No, not yet. Good stuff?
Quote:

seriously? i put that in my pecan pie. smile

Well, you know what they say (usually, about WINE): "If it's not good enough to DRINK, it's not good enough to COOK WITH!"
Quote:
No, not yet. Good stuff?

i think so. gave it to h for xmas. special order. smile

Yuck! I hate flavored cigars.

I can do some of the good Drew Estates infused ones, like Java. But only as a change-of-pace. In a perfect world, where I could stock my humidor well, I'd be:

40% Corojo/medium stuff

30% Cameroon or Maduro/medium-to-strong stuff

20% Connecticut/claro mild stuff

10% flavored stuff (but only GOOD flavored stuff)
ok! I love this thread! I dig the idea of listing the ideal humidor ratios. Mine would be
maduro/oscuro: 30%
Camaroon: 20%
Sumatra: 20%
Corojo/colorado: 20%
Claro: 10%

Except my beloved Hoyo Excaliber #Is which smoke like a maduro. Maybe I'd have a seperate humidor just with those.

I like a nice Single Malt (Balvenie 21 in my cabinet now), but I also like a good Bourbon. Haven't tasted the Woodford, but I like the JD limited and old pinch. have you guys ever tried a good port with cigars? The flavors are really complimentary. It's weird though, Diet Coke is probably the thing I drink the most while smoking. It cools more and cleans the palate so all I taste is the smoke.

Puppy, I haven't heard of them either, but I trust a guy who writes them in a book. I used to do that when I was starting out. I'd also be willing to get in on Coach's deal.

Now I'm fired up about getting off work! Going to mow the lawn and sit on the stoop with a new CAO.

What is the alt universe anyway?
Originally Posted By: A_goodman
What is the alt universe?

It must be a secret that I am too dumb to figure out! Apparently I am not computer savvy enough.
Quote:

FB
Quote:
I like a nice Single Malt (Balvenie 21 in my cabinet now)

my preference is glenmorangie 18.

Quote:
Haven't tasted the Woodford

you are missing out.
Quote:

FB

Right, but is there a group to join? I found the DB page, but can't find the people. I can only see a few who "like" this. Sorry if I am giving out too much info.
Goodman,

Is there a difference between Connecticut and claro? Aren't both mild wrappers, but the claro is greener? Or are they the same thing?

WITH my cigars, I almost always drink a Shiraz. Like your Diet Coke, it just seems to wet my palate better than hootch, and better than beer, too. Although if I'm at a buddy's house, by the pool, or on the golf course, or at the local Irish Pub, it's beer (preferably Sam Adams Pale Ale) with the 'gars.

Puppy
this topic is so evil. smile

Quote:
I almost always drink a Shiraz.

aussie shiraz. yum.

Quote:
at the local Irish Pub, it's beer (preferably Sam Adams Pale Ale) with the 'gars.

keeping my mouth shut on this one.

it does feel weird being the only female on this thread. at least, i think i'm the only female on this thread. smile
I love Pale Ale! It is my favorite and I recently tried an IPA called "Bitter Woman", and it is excellent and profoundly appropriate at the moment. I also like Liberty Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale, Flying Dog Pale.

I don't know too much about all the different kinds of 'gars tho. I usually stick with the medium brown wrappers and those labeled medium to full.
Ok. First off, the Bitter Woman made me crack up. I may have to go to the package store tomorrow. I'm on a Smithwicks kick lately and I found a Belgian that I LOVE. It's called triple carmelit (not sure about the spelling).

Pup, the Conneticut Shade wrappers would classically be called Claros (sometimes called English Market Selection) The green wrappers are either called Candella or American Market Selection. I guess bc they were very popular here in the 50s and 60s.

Quote:

aussie shiraz. yum.

Quote:
at the local Irish Pub, it's beer (preferably Sam Adams Pale Ale) with the 'gars.

it does feel weird being the only female on this thread. at least, i think i'm the only female on this thread. smile

An evil topic for evil men }-)

You shouldn't feel weird though. It seems like you know your stuff booze wise! Besides, lots of women are smoking cigars nowadays. They taste good, It's very relaxing and to tell you the truth, it's kinda hot.

Here's a homework 180 for you. Go to the local cigar store, there will be a lot of guys willing to help you pick out a good smoke. Enjoy the attention and get a couple different gars to try out. Go home, put on some comfortable clothes, head out to the porch with a nice glass of Shiraz and fire one up.

I would look for a very mild one to start with. You can't go wrong with a Macanudo or a Dunhill. Also a brand named Pleades. Stay away from the darker wrappers to start. A good rule of thumb is lighter = milder. Also, I know the thin ones seem more lady like. I say screw that! Get a nice thick one. The higher the ring Gage, (how they measure thickness) the more different types of tobacco they can blend in. It adds complexity and smoothness. Now, length makes a difference. To start with go short. It takes less time and will make it easier to avoid getting light headed which is common to all beginners, ladies AND men.

Oh. One more thing, you need a cutter. They will have some cheap ones near the register. Buy one so you don't have to get them cut there. Once they're cut, they dry out faster. Store your extras in a zip lock or Tupperware. They should stayproperly humidified for a week or two that way. You definately don't want to smoke a dried out cigar. It will burn hot and be harsher. Have them show you where to make the cut.

Good luck! Trust me. It's a good thing.
Quote:
It seems like you know your stuff booze wise!

hehe. i don't know if that's a good thing.
i kept my mouth shut on the beer discussion because i have my recommendations on a good beers.
if you like guinness in the winter, try london porter.
i don't know if this is available in your local beer store but there is one called esb (extra special bitter) which is a fave at the local pubs. it's a bit on the pricey side but it's worth a try.

my booze knowledge was acquired via stbxh. he wasn't an alcoholic by any means but he had a taste for the good stuff. don't ask me about the regular swill like budweiser.

Quote:
there will be a lot of guys willing to help you pick out a good smoke

i go to the tasting bar at the local wine store, and the guy there always pours me a few free ones. smile mind you, i know my stuff so it's not like i bat my eyelashes and i get a free drink.

Quote:
You can't go wrong with a Macanudo or a Dunhill.

dunhill. smile

Quote:
Also, I know the thin ones seem more lady like. I say screw that! Get a nice thick one. The higher the ring Gage, (how they measure thickness) the more different types of tobacco they can blend in.

smile goodman .. oh the jokes i can make. go big or go home, huh?

Quote:
Now, length makes a difference. To start with go short. It takes less time and will make it easier to avoid getting light headed which is common to all beginners, ladies AND men.

i gotta bite my tongue on that one. smile

Quote:

y'know, i always hate the smell of cigarette smoke.
but i love the smell of cigars and cigar smoke. dunno why ..

thanks for the suggestion. i know what to do this weekend.

Quote:

aussie shiraz. yum.

Quote:

An evil topic for evil men }-)

You shouldn't feel weird though. It seems like you know your stuff booze wise! Besides, lots of women are smoking cigars nowadays. They taste good, It's very relaxing and to tell you the truth, it's kinda hot.

Here's a homework 180 for you. Go to the local cigar store, there will be a lot of guys willing to help you pick out a good smoke. Enjoy the attention and get a couple different gars to try out. Go home, put on some comfortable clothes, head out to the porch with a nice glass of Shiraz and fire one up.

I would look for a very mild one to start with. You can't go wrong with a Macanudo or a Dunhill. Also a brand named Pleades. Stay away from the darker wrappers to start. A good rule of thumb is lighter = milder. Also, I know the thin ones seem more lady like. I say screw that! Get a nice thick one. The higher the ring Gage, (how they measure thickness) the more different types of tobacco they can blend in. It adds complexity and smoothness. Now, length makes a difference. To start with go short. It takes less time and will make it easier to avoid getting light headed which is common to all beginners, ladies AND men.

Oh. One more thing, you need a cutter. They will have some cheap ones near the register. Buy one so you don't have to get them cut there. Once they're cut, they dry out faster. Store your extras in a zip lock or Tupperware. They should stayproperly humidified for a week or two that way. You definately don't want to smoke a dried out cigar. It will burn hot and be harsher. Have them show you where to make the cut.

You're a good man, Goodman. grin

And yeah, MIL -- it is kinda hot. laugh

Puppy
Quote:

FB

Right, but is there a group to join? I found the DB page, but can't find the people. I can only see a few who "like" this. Sorry if I am giving out too much info.

Are you a fan? If not become one.
Let us know when you are a fan.
I see you are a fan! Sent you a message.
Thanks Lance. Got it!
MIL, you are great! My W got tired of me making comments like that ALL THE TIME!

I have suppressed that tendency for so long now I almost forgot how much fun it is!

:drool: smile
Quote:
MIL, you are great! My W got tired of me making comments like that ALL THE TIME!

y'know this is the 2nd time this week i got that comment.
both from guys too.

i understand that you can't be so uptight about stuff. and you have to have a sense of humour about it. but i have my limits on how far a joke can go or how explicit/crude the content is.

Quote:
I have suppressed that tendency for so long now I almost forgot how much fun it is!

i'm glad it lightens up the mood. smile
Quote:

:drool:

lol. somebody likes a fine scotch.
Not sure the drool was for the Scotch MIL.

Gotta go with Dan on this. You are definately cool.

Glad you went deep on all the softballs I lobbed you. Actually, everything I said was learned advice...ABOUT CIGARS. But if I wasn't honery, I probably could have worded things differently. Of course, where's the fun in that?

Good Wknd!

Oh, one more thing, DO NOT INHALE CIGAR SMOKE! Not sure if you ever smoked a cigarette, but it is definaltely not the same.
Quote:
Not sure the drool was for the Scotch MIL.

this is where the 'dense' part of me comes into play.
what was the drool for?

Quote:
Gotta go with Dan on this. You are definately cool.

blush thanks.

Quote:
Glad you went deep on all the softballs I lobbed you. Actually, everything I said was learned advice...ABOUT CIGARS. But if I wasn't honery, I probably could have worded things differently. Of course, where's the fun in that?

exactly. smile
i'm sure you were talking about the cigars. wink
i was only poking fun at you.
i appreciate the education on cigars though.

Quote:
Oh, one more thing, DO NOT INHALE CIGAR SMOKE! Not sure if you ever smoked a cigarette, but it is definaltely not the same.

nope. don't like the smell of cigarette smoke so i don't smoke cigarettes.
no inhaling via mouth but you can always exhale and then the room will have the aroma of cigar smoke which i can then inhale. Ahhhh ...
Now a beer thread would be something I could input on.

Quote:
no inhaling via mouth but you can always exhale and then the room will have the aroma of cigar smoke which i can then inhale. Ahhhh ...

I like the way you think MIL!

[quote]Not sure the drool was for the Scotch MIL.

what was the drool for?

um. That was a compliment actually.
Well, MIL,

Did you do your Homework this wknd?
These are some of my faves:

- CI Legends (Orange Label) by Drew Estates

- La Aroma de Cuba (great, oily wrapper!)

- Rocky Patel Vintage 1990

- Rocky Patel Vintage 1992

- Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve Corojo

- Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve Maduro

- just about anything by CAO

- 5 Vegas Classic (red label)

- for a mild smoke, I like Rocky Patel Connecticut or 5 Vegas Gold.

- for a flavored cigar, I like Drew Estates Java

Puppy
I know I mentioned on somebodie's post that I was headed to a tasting a couple of Fridays ago. So here is the deal they had going on.

It was buy 3 get one free, but the box deal was the real bargain. If you bought a box, they threw in a ball cap, a cheap cutter, a DVD about cigar making, some tickets to their raffle and an eight cigar sampler pack of all different lines and sizes. I don't usually buy CAO mostly because there are cigars I like better intheir price range, but the La Traviata just got a 93 in Cigar Afficionado in the robusto size and they were only 4.25 a stick. With the 15% discount they had on that night, I got 20 excellent cigars plus the eight more expensive cigars and all that other stuff for less than 75 bucks. I didn't plan on getting a box, but that was too good a deal to pass up.

All in all, I was pretty happy. And I'm set for a couple of months. It pays to hang out at the cigar store.
Quote:

:drool:

lol. somebody likes a fine scotch.
Hell yeah.

Quote:

I like the way you think MIL!

[quote]Not sure the drool was for the Scotch MIL.

what was the drool for?

um. That was a compliment actually.
Yes it was. Sorry, I watch too much Homer Simpson.
I thought so Cajun! I have to agree with you on that. we're all dogs my friend.

Hope I didn't scare MIL off. She was fun.
Hey Puppy,

Dan's having a crappy day.

Figured you'd want to know.

Cheers
Quote:
Hope I didn't scare MIL off. She was fun.

i'm still around. smile

i went to the smoke shop. the old geezer was really rude to me - cuz i didn't have an adam's apple. not the best cigar shopping experience. it's very "boys club".

i walked out empty handed. frown

but i had a fine shiraz anyway.

u think talking cigars and scotches make me a fun person? just you wait until nfl season, my friend. i'm very anti-cowboys and very pro-colts. wink
Quote:
Dan's having a crappy day.

dan .. it's going to be okay.

there's nothing that a shot of cutty sark can't fix. sick

do me a favor? smile. because the world will smile back.
Quote:
i'm very anti-cowboys and very pro-colts.

Which Colts?
Quote:
Which Colts?

indy, of course. smile
The only true Colts team was the Baltimore Colts. It's like saying you like the Three Stooges and Curly Joe is your favorite, it's just wrong.
Quote:
The only true Colts team was the Baltimore Colts.

ah yes .. they were so 'true' that they changed their name to the ravens. ;-)
MIL,

Glad to see you back. I never really doubted BTW. Sorry about the old fart at the shop.. There are other shops. Find one with some younger guys (not yuppies though) or just walk around the humidor alone. In all my experience, most cigar smokers (again not the young metro guys) are real men who would love to show a lady the ropes.

Chivalry isn't dead!
Now, MIL...

You like fine liquer, are open to Cigars, like football and are mischeviously fun to hang out with. How could that old man of yours ever think of turning his back on all of that?

Do you get Coach's stooges analogy? And if so, do you agree with it?

answer that last question VERY CAREFULLY....

And realize, that you are on the precipice of breaking hearts all over cyberspace. }-)
I know I mentioned on somebodie's post that I was headed to a tasting a couple of Fridays ago. So here is the deal they had going on.

It was buy 3 get one free, but the box deal was the real bargain. If you bought a box, they threw in a ball cap, a cheap cutter, a DVD about cigar making, some tickets to their raffle and an eight cigar sampler pack of all different lines and sizes. I don't usually buy CAO mostly because there are cigars I like better intheir price range, but the La Traviata just got a 93 in Cigar Afficionado in the robusto size and they were only 4.25 a stick. With the 15% discount they had on that night, I got 20 excellent cigars plus the eight more expensive cigars and all that other stuff for less than 75 bucks. I didn't plan on getting a box, but that was too good a deal to pass up.

All in all, I was pretty happy. And I'm set for a couple of months. It pays to hang out at the cigar store.

Wow! I need to go to more of these. Corona Cigar has three excellent Orlando stores, and is just down the road a couple of hours from me. I get their e-mail invites, but haven't been to one yet.

Puppy
Quote:
Do you get Coach's stooges analogy? And if so, do you agree with it?

answer that last question VERY CAREFULLY....

well, my favorite stooge was moe.
he had the best hair out of the three. ;-) look, i'm still a chick.

i get it but i only started watching football after i got married so i didn't watch the baltimore colts play (pre-indy days). i'm not that old. smile
i watched it because my h watched it. he taught me a thing or two about it and i love sports. hockey, baseball, basketball. now football.

here's another thing: starcraft II just came out. i didn't really play starcraft 1 but i'd sure like to learn how to play SCII. smile

Quote:
You like fine liquer, are open to Cigars, like football and are mischeviously fun to hang out with. How could that old man of yours ever think of turning his back on all of that?

but reality is, he did. maybe there was someone better out there. maybe he would rather not have me around. come football season, who am i going to high five when the colts beat the romo & cowboys? smile

Quote:
And realize, that you are on the precipice of breaking hearts all over cyberspace. }-)

hehe. i'm sure there are a lot of women out there who are just like me.
O God, a Colts fan. Talk about a BUZZ-KILLER. frown wink

Puppy, in the Land of the Jaguar
Quote:
well, my favorite stooge was moe. he had the best hair out of the three.

and you were doing so good up until that....... so close.
Riiiiiiiight. Why, they're everywhere. And then I always wake up.

You're not going to have a hard time finding somebody to high five. Think POSITIVE!

Heck, you even like the 3 stooges. Well, at least one of them.
May not be ready yet, but be confident that you'll do fine when you are.

"You ain't like them other girls" Which is often a good thing.
Quote:
and you were doing so good up until that....... so close.

nobody's perfect. not even the MIL. wink
Coach, Pup...you guys are missing the BIG picture. She's on the right track. ANY acceptance of football and the stooges is HUGE! I figure 90% of Maledom is probably in love right there.

MIL is ok in my book.

besides, it'll be fun to tease her every time the Colts go down in flames this year wink

GO GIANTS!
Quote:
O God, a Colts fan. Talk about a BUZZ-KILLER.

jags fan, huh? my condolences.

like i said, nobody's perfect. not even the puppy dog. smile
Quote:
GO GIANTS!

i was rooting for the giants the year they won the superbowl. they disappointed me last year. plexico had to shoot himself in the foot.

now, don't think i'm hopping from team to team. but the giants were playing the patriots that year! and i hate the patriots too! smile

those are dealbreakers in my books - patriots and cowboys fans need not apply.

Hey!! don't be dissin' my Colts!!
Coach, Pup...you guys are missing the BIG picture. She's on the right track. ANY acceptance of football and the stooges is HUGE! I figure 90% of Maledom is probably in love right there.
You are right on that. My W is no football fan, but last year when she was heavily following the Saints in the playoffs and then the Superbowl is a major turn on.
(Was I thinking out loud. lol)
Quote:

high five, hoosiermama!
Originally Posted By: hoosiermama

That's true, Hoozh, I should give them their proper due. They ARE, after all, the best regular-season team in the NFL over the past 10 years or so. smirk

Puppy
I will just stick with my college ball and beer. We need a cheers icon with beer mugs. grin
bump
i know this thread has little to do with db-ing but sometimes we need a break and some good conversation to take us away from the peril that may be happening around us.
I don't know what bump means, at least in this context, but I second that. This is a good diversion. God knows we can all use one.

Cheers.
Soooo, ShockedOne,

I suppose you are a Wichita St. supporter?
(B) is how you get the beer icon on Windows Messenger. wonder if it works on here.
Nope. Oh well. (B) (B) (B).......use your imagination.
I'm excited!! My La Perla Habana Black Pearl Robustos just arrived at my office (Coach, I'll be mailing you your 5!), and I'm looking forward to having one tonite!

Also just got confirmation of a NICE sales commission check that I've been waiting on since MAY. smile

God is good!

Puppy
Quote:
Also just got confirmation of a NICE sales commission check that I've been waiting on since MAY.

good things happen to good people. simple as that. smile

didn't you say that when the commission check comes in, you're buying a round of beers? smirk

Sierra Hotel Pup! That's great news. You deserve for God to smile on you all your days my friend.

Enjoy the smokes. I'm looking forward to your evaluation of them.
MIL that's a great idea. (B) on Puppy!
Quote:
Also just got confirmation of a NICE sales commission check that I've been waiting on since MAY.

good things happen to good people. simple as that. smile

didn't you say that when the commission check comes in, you're buying a round of beers? smirk

Yes, virtual beers for all my DB friends, bartender! And REAL ones for anyone who shows up here tonite!!

Ha!

Puppy
Soooo, ShockedOne,

I suppose you are a Wichita St. supporter?

No, not at all. They haven't had football since the 80's anyway, have they?
And Puppy, just where do I need to show up to? (B)
bump
i know this thread has little to do with db-ing but sometimes we need a break and some good conversation to take us away from the peril that may be happening around us.

I started one a while ago all about WAS script, but a few people frowned on it and it died off.

http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1801686&page=1
Shocked,

I just figured the Shockers was a natural fit. But come to think of it, you're right their FB program is dead.

So who do you pull for?
I am a BSU Bronco fan. You know, the team with the blue field.
Well old buddy, being that I freaking hate the ou gooners, I am ALSO a Boise St fan. Even have a T-shirt, which you'll be happy to know, still torques them up when they see me in it.

Go Bronchos!
Well, cheers to you Goodman! (B)

Happy to hear it.
Puppy,

Ask and ye shall receive!

Saw your post on "letting go"

Had an A Fuentes grand reserve last night on the stoop.

It was awesome, but a little dry. (been in the bottom of my humidor for a while. Sometimes I forget to rotate and stay on top of the humidity. Fixed it last week, but I guess the bottom needed more time) Still was relaxing though.

Cheers (B)
Arturo Fuente No. 1s were the first GOOD cigar I ever smoked. Bought a box of 'em for my boss once, whom I turned onto them as well. Haven't had one in awhile, tho.

I got tied up cleaning our damned TURTLE TANK last nite, over at my daughter's house (long story) and making dinner since my wife worked, so I never got a chance to try the new La Perla Habanas that came yesterday. Looking forward to enjoying one tonite!!

My daughter DID, oh-so-thoughtfully, have a nice glass (or two) of Jacobs Creek Reserve Shiraz for me -- perfectly chilled around 60 degrees! What a young lady, she is. whistle

Puppy
I'm completely surrounded by no cigars.

http://www.geico.com/about/commercials/

watch the drill sargeant commercial, it kills me.

should be required viewing for any foot-rubbers.
Coach,

Not sure what a "foot-rubber" is, but that commercial KICKS A$$!

I'm sitting in my cubicle and people are walking by looking at me funny as I'm crying from laughing.

"tissue?...BONK! crybaby." I love it!
I'm completely surrounded by no cigars.

Never trust a puppy dog a one's ONLY source of fine tobacco, Coach; you know that.

C'mon, soldier!!

Puppy
Just now sitting down out back to enjoy my cigar!! cool
I think I need to find a good cigar to try. Thinking my younger years with the Swisher Sweets did no justice.

Fired me up a "victory cigar" tonite, in honor of a successful youth baseball draft. My Liga Privada No. 9 by Drew Estates, that my D23 gave me for my birthday.

Ahhhhh......... A finer smoke you will never enjoy!! And you could draw this thing until the ash hits 3-4", and it won't fall off, it's so well-constructed.

mmmmmm.........

Puppy
Nothing beats a big ash!

Pup, are you coaching baseball?
Yes sir!
Me too. What age?
14s/15s. You?
3rd Grade. No draft for us. Its' a school team. We did well last spring, but some of our guys are playing football instead. looking forward to hitting the yard.

Fall ball is fun.

Good luck out there! Just watched Major League again the other night to get my mind ready.

Been channeling Harry Doyle aever since.

"Juuuuust a Bit Outside"
Hey bartender, JoBu needs a refill!

Not Doyle, but still a good one.
Yeah. "He was trying to work the corners there and he just missed it"
Had a nice Rocky Patel Sun Grown tonight! It was tasty!
Nothing beats a nice cigar after a day of camping. Sitting here under the stars with a cool breeze unwinding with one of those CAO La Traviatas.

Not sure if you guys are still up, but I'm offering some sweet vapors up to the heavens for you.
Have a great night AG. I am beat from moving today.
So here I sit. Worked out and frshly showered. A cold front blew through today and the temps dropped off about 20 F. Kids asleep and W went out.

You know where I am! That's right, 1140 on a school night and all I want to do is sit on my stoop with a nice smoke and a cold beer. Don't even care if I'm going to be tired tommorow. This is one of the better things in life. The perfect evening.

Wish my pals were here to share this.

G'night all
The cold front is very nice here too!! It's 12:10 am and I am going to be very tired tomorrow too AG, but this is too much fun!

TWC is coming to hook up my cable and internet service tomorrow. No more struggoing with a wireless card.

Have a great smoke and a great night. Sweet dreams to all!
I forgot that I'm leaving work early to go dove hunting tomorrow. Going to sleep like a stone tommorow night. Oh well, it was still worth it. Plus I'll get in some more beer and another smoke at the pig roast afterwards.

Life is good.
Damn, that sounds good!!! Still hot and muggy evenings down here in F-L-A, but juuuuuust a tint of sliiiightly cooler, less-humid air in the, um, well in the AIR. Hoping my new Rockys will get here today, so I can enjoy one or two this weekend, after a CRAZY week that saw NO weeknight cigars for this camper. Probably the first time that's happened in six months. Just too much going on this week with baseball, son's homework, etc.

Puppy
Cigars international is running a good special on boxes Rocky Sun Grown right now if anyone is interested. These are pretty full cigars though, so be careful if you are not used to them.

My old neighbor and I are going to split a box of them.
Wow, that IS a good deal. I've only had one of those once, and unfortunately never took any tasting notes on it. Are they good?

As I type this, I'm enjoying a little "55" La Aroma de Cuba, after a real fun night birthday shopping (for S-soon-to-be-14) with the fetching Mrs. Puppy. Got the shopping done, then went to a favorite little Mexican place for some mah-ga-REE-tas and dinner. Then home, D23 came over, played with granddaughter, and then out back for my smoke after a BUSY week.

Life is good!!!! smile

Puppy
I think they are good. They are strong and a bit peppery if I remember correctly. They have turned my stomach in the past, so be careful with them if you get them.

We also picked-up some Vegas 55's box pressed. Throw in a 3 pk sampler for a buck, a 5-pack sampler for $10 and a free 3pk and I think we got 51 cigars for $171. Just over $3 per stick. Not bad.
Enjoying a beeeaaauuuty-ful Rocky Patel Sun Grown 6 x 52 (I think?) torpedo. Creamy goodness!! A nice glass of perfectly-chilled (I prefer 61 degrees) Thorne-Clark Terra - Barossa Shiraz and my faithful labrador retriever by my side, after a great baseball practice and helping S14 with his math homework when we got home.

Life is good!!!

Puppy
My shipment came yesterday. I got the Sun Grown Torpedoes too! Splitting them with my buddy and smoking one together in the screen porch or on the patio tonight!

S-W-E-E-T!!!
I thoroughly enjoyed mine last nite. That's the first time I'd tried the Sun Grown. I've always loved just about anything from Rocky Patel (other than the Edge -- I find those harsh, have a funny taste, and they kick me in the AZZ) -- 1990, 1992, Olde World Reserve, Connecticut. I really enjoyed the Sun Grown. Nobody CONSTRUCTS a cigar in these price ranges like Rocky!

Puppy
Hey, is this one any good?

La Perla Habana Black Pearl

CI's got a screaming deal on them (20 for $39.95). I like a good maduro (2nd probably only to a Corojo).

thanks,

Puppy

i've smoked one of these. i'd rate it about a B. pretty good brand for the price
James,

I never tried that one, but at that price I could choke em down even if they were a c-.

Dan-O,

Glad your stogies came in. guess I had better start paying more attention during the wknds. I'm going to the store this Friday. You and Pup sold me. I'm going to try the sun grown torpedo. I'll look for a la perla black and try that too Jimmy.
We also got some box pressed 5 Vegas. Those are good too!! Had one last night.
James,

I never tried that one, but at that price I could choke em down even if they were a c-.

Dan-O,

Glad your stogies came in. guess I had better start paying more attention during the wknds. I'm going to the store this Friday. You and Pup sold me. I'm going to try the sun grown torpedo. I'll look for a la perla black and try that too Jimmy.

sun grown torpedo you say? *googles* lol
We also got some box pressed 5 Vegas. Those are good too!! Had one last night.

Which ones? Gold? The Red "Classic"? other?

5 Vegas is a great, price-performing cigar. I like the Gold for a mild smoke, at a cheaper price than the Rocky Patel Connecticut (which I enjoyed last nite!), and really like the "Classic" red and the "Series A" for a medium, fuller smoke. CI runs good specials on these all the time, as they push a TON of 5 Vegas product out their doors. The only one I don't care for is the "Miami," and unfortunately CI seems to want to bundle that one with just about every one of their 5 Vegas sampler bundles.

Puppy
5 Vegas classic 55 box pressed. Very tasty. I think a little more medium bodied, right?

Never had a Gold or Miami. My old neighbor likes the 5 Vegas and turned me on to them. Got a box of 20 plus a 3 pack sampler for $66. Decent price, but not GREAT!! I like to find the deals where I can get them for less than $3 per stick.

The Rocky Sun-Grown Torpedo might be a bit pricey at the cigar shop. They were running a CI special for $88 for a box of 20. I see the price per box is now $127.

Are you guys on the daily mailer(s). Lots of times that is how I find the best deals.
Yes, Dan, the red "Classic" is medium-to-full, and 92- rated, I believe.

I get the e-mail specials from CI, cigars.com, and Corona Cigar. If you guys have any others you recommend, I'm all ears! I too try to spend < $3 per.

Puppy
I also get an e-mail from Thompson cigars. Somebody told me JR's, but I never found it.
I've been to the JR's store in Carolina. Neversaw more cigars in one place in my life. The floor is the size of a basketball court and full of tables and boxes. It was incredible. The whole store was a giant humidor. I got a box of some nice JR brand in camaroon. Can't remember the name though. I think it was JR select. Probably have a band or two. I'll try to find them.

I guess I need to get on the CI mailing list. I get Thompson. They have good deals too.
Gentlemen (and you too, MIL!),

Enjoying a fantastic Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut tonite -- far and away THE BEST mild smoke I've ever tasted. Even better than my RP Connecticuts I've been sampling recently, and far better than the 5 Vegas Gold.

Mmmmmm!!!!

Just a hint of lesser humidity/cooler temps in the North Florida air tonite, and I'm enjoying a really comfortable chair that we bought as part of a table/fire pit and 4 chairs combo set on Facebook this week. About 3000% more comfortable than the POS I'd been sitting on to have my smokes before!!

The wine is Jacobs Creek Reserve Shiraz. cool

Puppy
Quote:
I'm enjoying a really comfortable chair that we bought as part of a table/fire pit and 4 chairs combo set on Facebook this week. About 3000% more comfortable than the POS I'd been sitting on to have my smokes before!!

The wine is Jacobs Creek Reserve Shiraz.

yeah well .. my couch is 4000% more comfortable ... than .. oh i'm SO jealous!

thanks for the acknowledgment though. i prefer my shiraz with a medium rare steak. <drool>

the MIL <-- i have the best name.
i prefer my shiraz with a medium rare steak. <drool>

Oh, that was Saturday night. I made some steaks for my parents, and my mom ate the ENTIRE appr. 14-oz NY strip, and was stunned that she'd eaten it all! I guess she liked it!!! LOL

Puppy
MIIIIIIILLLLLLL,

Welcome back chica! I thought you gave up on all of us Cigar "Lost Boys"

Pup, I'm going to the store today. On your reccomendation, I will buy a Rocky 99 CT or two. Sounds like you are living the life my friend.

Cheers!
I've gone from Infidelity to Divorced But Not Done and now I'm in Piecing. One of my GAL's is starting cigar smoking. I'm looking for beginning cigars. My humidor is supposed to arrive today and my 5 CAO Corona's arrived yesterday. I've tried Macanudo, Gispert, and Helix and they were all good.

I'm looking for some hidden gems and since PDT helped me regain my dignity and manhood I figured he and others are uniquely qualified to give advice in other areas.
Hiya Lowes,

Do you like flavored cigars? If you're just starting out, I'd recommend trying maybe a good flavored cigar or two, but definitely focus on MILD (Connecticut wrapper) cigars at first. Too many people start out with medium to strong maduros, and don't like the test. It's like starting your red wine drinking with a big, bold cabernet instead of with a nice Pinot Noir.

Not sure what your price range is, but for flavored, I like:

cheap: Professor Sila
more $: anything by Drew Estates, but the Java is excellent!

For mild, I like:

cheap: 5 Vegas Gold
more $: Rocky Patel Connecticut, Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut

For a good, not-that-expensive medium-bodied cigar, I like both La Aroma de Cuba and Cigars International CI Legends Rocky Patel (Orange), or a Rocky Patel 1990 or 1992, or a Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve, in the lighter (I believe it's Corojo) wrapper choice.

I look for cigars that sell for $7 - $10 at retail, and get them online for $2.50 - $4.00 apiece.

Hope that helps! Not sure which CAOs you ordered, but I've never had a bad one yet. Some are definitely stronger than others, though (and you may just enjoy a medium- to full-bodied smoke right outta the gate).

Puppy
Thanks PDT.

They were CAO Golden Coronas.

Hey I have FWW taking puffs off my cigars! whistle
is that a metaphor? laugh
Based on what you say you've tried (and enjoyed) so far, I think you'd like my recommendations. I've used both Cigars International and Cigar.com, but CI's prices and service are the best. They offer lots of different samplers, either within a brand (like a Rocky Patel Sampler pack or a CAO sampler pack) or a taste range (Mild Sampler, or Mild-Medium Sampler). I like to order those, and then make note of which ones I really liked, and then wait for them to go on sale and snarf up a bunch of them.

If you got the CAO Gold, I think you'll be VERY pleased. It's a great cigar!

Puppy
is that a metaphor? laugh

LMAO...but yes it is grin grin grin
I've used both Cigars International and Cigar.com, but CI's prices and service are the best. They offer lots of different samplers, either within a brand (like a Rocky Patel Sampler pack or a CAO sampler pack) or a taste range (Mild Sampler, or Mild-Medium Sampler). I like to order those, and then make note of which ones I really liked, and then wait for them to go on sale and snarf up a bunch of them.
Puppy

I ordered the CAO's through CI. Looking through the catalog I think I will order a sampler pack...the prices are excellent!
Low,

You might also scope out your friendly neighborhood tobacconist. The prices are WAY higher, but

1) You can buy onesies, and try things out. Then order in bulk from CI
2) You can learn from the other customers (we're mostly a friendly lot). You can also get to know the retailer, who will give you tips too.
3) Often times, the reps will come in town and host tastings which usually involve good promotionals, free sticks and libations.

And finally, it's a fun place to hang out and kill an hour. Like a coffe house...for MEN.

Pup gave you some good selections for Mild cigars. I would add Dunhill and Pliedes. They are well made and tasty mild cigars, but they are pricier.

When you are ready to dabble in stronger cigars, start slow. Don't jump in both feet with the double Ligeros or the oscuros. go for a nice rojo or a colorado maduro. Try the Punch Rothschild. It's a maduro, but smokes milder. They're short, so if theyre too strong, you don't get overpowered. Plus they're relatively cheap.

long ashes!
AG,

Let me ask you something that's been sticking in my cigar craw (do cigars have craws??).

For the life of me, I've NEVER been able to get a cigar torch that works well for me. My wife's bought me a couple of decent ones, too, and I've tried the BEST butanes out there (someone told me that was my problem), all to no avail. The lighter will inevitably hold a charge for MAYBE a couple of lights, but then it will only hold a flame for a second, before it goes out.

I've tried completely "draining" the lighter before refilling it, holding the butane upside-down -- the works. What am I doing wrong? Using matching or a cheap Big lighter to light my sticks not only doesn't work as well, it's not nearly as satisfying.

Puppy
Hey puppy,

I use a corona "Old Boy" Pipe lighter. I don't use the torch lighters because the flame is too hot. It scorches the leaves at the tip and you draw a lot of really hot smoke at the beginning. That's my opinion based on wive's tails and wichdoctory. Really, It's what I was told by the old timers way back when when I started smoking cigars and I just stuck with it.

I've had my Old Boy for 16 years and I love it. It's distictive and a classic design. Plus, it's hard to use for the uninitiated. The flame is angled to the side and the wheel rotates counter clockwise, which is opposit all the other makes. I think it's originally an old Brit design, so that makes sense. I love to hand it to someone who asks for a light and watch em try to figure it out, just to step in and light them up. It has the cache and weight of a zippo but more refined.

BTW, I was also told never to use a zippo or any other liquid fuel lighter because the fumes ruin the flavor of the cigar. I never have, but it makes sense.

Sorry. That wasn't much help. But it was fun talking about.
Pup, Dan-o, Mil, and all the rest of my fellow virtual cigar buddies,

I'm outside on the porch enjoying a fine CAO LaTraviatta. I'm really glad I bought that box. These are becomming one of my favs.

It's a beautiful clear night. The temp is right around 70. And the moon is bright. I have a cold Smithwick's half down and all is right with the world.

Oddly enough, I've noticed the crickets. They're loud tonight. Soon they'll be gone and the leaves will be changing. In a few weeks, I'll need a sweatshirt at this hour and soon after that, this type of moment will be months in the future. I'm living in this moment; glad for the chance to feel it, to hear the crickets, to feel the gental breeze and smell the fresh cut grass being carried aloft by it. Moments like these reaffirm the spirit and are precious to me.

Just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you.
Sounds nice AG. I like those kinds of experiences too. At my house, not my rental, you can sit and listen to thousands of frogs chirping. It is beautiful music also. In Munich now for Oktoberfest!! Going to bed early tonight so I can live it up tomorrow. Skipped the sandwich in Amsterdam. Didn't feel right, but I will probably regret it later.

The Cuban Cohiba was excellent and I also got a box of 10 cigars about the size of a long finger in amsterdam. The language is foreign, so I don't know what they are, but they are good too. Maybe I should try to get a few cubans back home with me.
Just got this e-mail from CI. This is a PHENOMENAL deal ($2.99 ea.!!), on an outstanding assortment of some of Rocky Patel's best cigars:

Best of Rocky

Puppy

Sorry. That wasn't much help. But it was fun talking about.

LOL!!! laugh

Thanks, AG -- that makes good sense. Maybe I'll just stick to my matches.

Puppy
Pup, Dan-o, Mil, and all the rest of my fellow virtual cigar buddies,

I'm outside on the porch enjoying a fine CAO LaTraviatta. I'm really glad I bought that box. These are becomming one of my favs.

It's a beautiful clear night. The temp is right around 70. And the moon is bright. I have a cold Smithwick's half down and all is right with the world.

Oddly enough, I've noticed the crickets. They're loud tonight. Soon they'll be gone and the leaves will be changing. In a few weeks, I'll need a sweatshirt at this hour and soon after that, this type of moment will be months in the future. I'm living in this moment; glad for the chance to feel it, to hear the crickets, to feel the gental breeze and smell the fresh cut grass being carried aloft by it. Moments like these reaffirm the spirit and are precious to me.

whistle whistle whistle whistle

I too love a good "Smiddix." You write REALLY well, btw. You should blog or something.

Puppy
cough - cough!
Greek

WOMAN ON THE FLOOR! WOMAN ON THE FLOOR!!! AAAIIIIEEEeeee!!!! eek laugh
Ha!

That's what I get for stepping into a cigar bar. My bad!

Greek
Quote:

AG - thanks for reminding me of the simple things in life. i've been really b*tchy lately .. dissing the gratitude lists and saw only the negative things in life. i need to start looking at the simple things.

Quote:

you're a good man .. goodman smile

Me <- my new sig.
Hiya MIL!

It's a Rocky Patel Sun Grown for me tonite, and some Shiraz, after working WAY too hard today (baseball scrimmage, mowed and edged lawn, helped with dinner and helped clean up, grocery store, etc.).

This is a GREAT cigar.

Puppy
Quote:
It's a Rocky Patel Sun Grown for me tonite, and some Shiraz, after working WAY too hard today

i think i worked harder .. i stood in line at the DMV on a saturday morning. eek
costco run, looking at countertops for the new home, went to the wine store .. so many wines, which one to buy?? oh who am i kidding? wine shopping was my fun time. smile

i ended up getting a new zealand sauvignon blanc (NZ is known for their sauv blancs). made a nice mushroom risotto for dinner.

tomorrow night, it's fresh wild coho salmon for dinner. they had regular atlantic salmon, wild sockeye salmon, and wild coho salmon. i decided to spoil myself and went with the cadillac of salmon.

yes, life is good. simple food like salmon .. a nice glass of wine .. the crisp/cool fall air. ahhhhh ... this time next year, i'll have a deck to enjoy. i will have a gas stove for my grill plate. i'm looking forward to some good red meat and a bold shiraz.

life will get better ... grin
Yes, I pray that it will.

Puppy
Ordered a sampler pack from CI last week and it included a Vegas 5. Taking W on a one night escape to a beach motel this week and I'm bringing the Vegas 5 as well. Of course the cigar is secondary to...well you know whistle
Magic fingers?
Magic fingers?

Uh...yeah.
I heard Sex on the Beach is also a drink... whistle
Goodman. Where are you?
© DivorceBusting.com