Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: steady What I've learned about detaching - 06/26/09 11:56 AM
This is from one of my threads from back in February. Thought it might help some people here:

Detachment is the key. In hindsight I know what I did wrong.

1. Didn't GAL
2. Didn't detach enough. Fooled myself into thinking that I was.
3. Pushed too hard for her to work on her issues. Even confronted her a few times when they came out in all their glory.
4. Backslid too many times based on her inappropriate behavior that I called her on
5. Was way too clingy/desperate when the bomb dropped. This is one of the biggest ones that hurt my chances. Alot of damage was done in that first month and a half.

So for any newbies - DETACH like you will die if you don't. It's kind of a catch 22 though. I didn't know what detaching really was until recently - and it took my W saying she wanted a D to actually get me to the point where I actually understood what detachment really meant.

To me (now) detachment means:

1. To not care what the outcome will be. And I mean really not care - not just lip service because it's not heading south. When my sitch was heading north, it was easy to convince myself I was detached because the horizon looked good. It was a false sense of detachment, it was actually comfortability disguised as detachment - because it looked like it was going to work out the way I wanted it to.

The only way you'll know that you're really detached is that no matter which way the situation seems to be headed you will feel the same way - no rollercoaster ride. If you get there, then you're really detached.

2. To detach from your own feelings about the situation. Don't let your feelings dictate how you are going to feel/act or what you're going to say. As a LBS our feelings are often attached to our spouse in such an unhealthy way that we are focused more on interpreting their actions, guessing their thoughts and feelings, trying to control their thoughts/feelings/actions by what we do/say.

I see it so much in my behavior over the last 9 months since the bomb dropped. I used WAY TOO MUCH energy thinking about things that I couldn't control, thinking about the future by doing negative projection, trying to take the temperature of the sitch, trying to guess what my W was thinking/feeling, interpreting her behaviors and trying to establish a connection between her actions and her thoughts/feelings. I have to say, I never guessed right. So put an end to it RIGHT NOW.

3. To detach from your spouse. And I mean really detach. When you: Aren't thinking about what she may be thinking, aren't concerned about what she is doing, aren't snooping to find out information, aren't trying to gauge which direction she is heading in relation to your sitch, aren't adjusting your actions to have an 'effect' on your W, aren't doing things to elicit a response, aren't focused on her issues, aren't focused on her behavior, aren't gauging your self-worth based on what you perceive to be her feelings about you - then you'll know you have detached from her.

When you get a life for yourself. Do the things you like to do without any thought of how it will in some way 'improve' your chances of reconciliation. When you stand up and keep your head high no matter what is going on around you. When you not only believe, but you actually KNOW that you will be fine no matter what the outcome. Then you will have detached.

Anything else is a false sense of detachment. It will be many things disguised as detachment. So be wary of when you think you are detached. If things head south, then you'll really know if you are or not.

I thought what I wrote above was flying in the face of the advice of doing 180's, but in reality it's not.

180's are doing things for yourself which you typically don't do. If we do them for the purpose of changing our sitch's they could easily backfire and put the final nail in the coffin. If that happens, how do you think you'll feel when you realize you did it to illicit a response only to get opposite what you wanted?

It's the 'if I do this, then that will happen' mentality. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I see now I put way too much energy into thinking about it. My shite often backfired...lol. Go figure.

The only 180 you need to do is this - WORK ON IMPROVING YOURSELF.

If you keep on improving yourself you'll have a natural 180. You will be constantly changing and improving and you'll be damn moving target. As you improve yourself:

You get more confident
Your communication skills go up
You learn to shut up and listen - really listen
You learn to put yourself in the other persons position so that you can really understand where they're coming from
Your self worth and self esteem goes up
You start doing things you always wanted to do but didn't
You start taking care of yourself physically
You start a new hobby
You go outside your safety zone and start doing different things (I'm gonna go jump out of a farkin airplane)
You start to embrace your life (go watch Yes Man)

( Notice the things on that list have nothing to do with your spouse or your situation. I didn't do alot of these things - so learn from my mistakes. Keep your damn eyes off your spouse and your situation...and stick them on you)

Of course this list goes on and on....you pick the things you want to work on...but don't do it based on some 'effect'.

As you do these things, your happiness will go up. If they aint happening for you, well that's the map for what you need to work on. Constant 180's, made for you without intending them to 'change' your situation. You go for the ride, if they hop on then more power to you.

If they don't, well they just missed the best train they could have taken. Don't worry though, there are other stations ahead.

Remember this - 'Control is an Illusion'

And this - I could be wrong about all of it. Use it at your own risk or throw it into the shite pile with the rest of the cr@p.
Hello Steady,

Your post is a great read...I'm learning alot from everyone else on this board. Based on your description of detachment, I'm not there yet. I'm still concerned about what my W is thinking and doing. I'm still concerned about the impact my actions are having on her thought processes. There are times that I believe I don't give a heck, but that may be lip service or just a temporary feeling that quickly dissapates. My concern is that if I am successful in detaching, will my W perceive it as me being cold and uninterested in her...a signal for her to proceed with the next steps? We are separated but living in the same house with the kids. My DB coach as suggested that I be warm and compassionate ("kill her with kindness")as a 180. I am getting a life and I am focusing on becoming a better person. Fortunately, I am feeding my body and soul as I go through this unexpected challenge in my life.

Thanks,
LFH
Posted By: Gardener Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/26/09 12:55 PM
Steady,
This is absolutely great...
Printing it right now.
Thank you.
Posted By: givingitmyall Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/26/09 01:09 PM
Steady,

Outstanding post. I am at that point of detachment. Your post hit home with me.

Thanks.
Posted By: Serenity13 Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/26/09 03:43 PM
This is exactly what I needed to read...Thank you for the insight!
Posted By: LitlHopeAlwys Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/26/09 03:47 PM
Thanks Steady
This is a terrific post
printing it out for daily reading
Posted By: trustingfaith Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/26/09 04:02 PM
Steady -

I really needed to see that this morning. I will be printing it out. Thanks!
Good stuff, steady, and things even those of us who have been here a while can do well to read.

Thanks1

Living God's blessings with grace and dignity~
SMW
Posted By: Mike in Phx Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/26/09 05:10 PM
Great thread as I'm right at that "false detachment" point in my sitch (but I recognize it and am working on it). Thanks for sharing this, so many great pieces of advice on here. If only following them all was easy! grin
Posted By: ernest88 Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/26/09 05:45 PM
shooo..WT needs to see this..

Ken..I'm really proud..

you got it right buddy..

you got it right.
Posted By: steady Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/27/09 03:54 AM
Well Mike...it's not my creation. Just an accumulation of what you, WT, nds, distressed, and so many others have told me over and over again over the past year. I'm coming up on my one year anniversary of joining this board and looking back I can see how much I have really changed for the better.

At times I still struggle, but I'm telling you, I am so close to that definition of detachment...it's a beautiful thing.

The credit for what I posted above goes out to all those people here who have taught me the meaning of detachment.
Posted By: wolverine1997 Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/27/09 04:28 AM
Just read your detaching post and loved it. Question though. If I detach from my wife and she decides that she wants to work things out, won't I have lost all interest in her? If I am detached why would I want to divorce bust?
Posted By: steady Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/27/09 05:11 AM
Detaching doesn't mean you don't love or care about your W wolverine. It's more about not allowing other circumstances or people (in this case your W) control you. You very well could detach and see the R more clearly and decide your W is not the person for you. Detachment takes the focus off your spouse and puts it squarely on you where it belongs.

Detaching is about having no expectations and a real knowing that you will be fine no matter which way the situation ends up. Detaching will make you much, much more attractive to your spouse because you will have become someone who is strong and independent - instead of clingy and needy. It's about knowing you don't NEED your W, but rather that you WANT to be with your W. There's a world of difference between the two.

Detachment is NOT about being cold, rude, passive aggressive, etc.. It's about not getting caught up in the drama of the spouses actions, words, trying to guess their feelings or intentions, etc...

Lovingly detach.

Detaching is the ultimate form of DB'ing. (in my opinion)
Posted By: steady Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/27/09 05:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Looking_For_Help
My concern is that if I am successful in detaching, will my W perceive it as me being cold and uninterested in her...a signal for her to proceed with the next steps? We are separated but living in the same house with the kids. My DB coach as suggested that I be warm and compassionate ("kill her with kindness")as a 180.
Take the advice of your DB coach. But killing her with kindness can be done from a detached position. As a matter of fact, it will only really work from a detached position. I'll explain how I see it - If you 'kill her with kindness' but internally your true intention is to have the situation turn around to your favor then your W will sense that and will react accordingly. It could be interpreted as a form of control or a non-genuine action. If you do it because it is the right thing for you to do because it's the kind of man you want to be, then you'll project that out and that's what you're W will read. And believe me, they WILL sense the intention behind the actions.

In the former you are not detached because you are basing your actions as a control mechanism to get your W to change and do what YOU want her to do. The latter one - well you're doing it because you want to make the change in YOU, and not a change in HER. Big difference in the two.
Posted By: BigJohn Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/27/09 05:24 AM
Great post Steady. Like Mike in Phx, I too am still in the "false detachment" phase... but I am getting there. Appreciate your response to Wolverine1997 too.
Posted By: threestrikes Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/27/09 05:32 AM
Thank you for this post. You got it right.
Thank you steady. Your point is well taken. Detaching is made difficult for me b/c I consistently worry how my S5 and D2.5 will be impacted by a divorce. As I regain by confidence and self-esteem, I begin to realize that I'll be fine (I'll eventually find someone else if things go south), but again, I worry about the kids. In addition, I always wonder what's going through my wife's through all of this...is this killing her like it is me or is she just happy like a clam? The fact that she hasn't filed tells me she is confuesed and unsure. Who knows.

Thanks,
LFH
Posted By: kara Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/27/09 01:25 PM
Steady

This is good stuff.

It takes awhile to get to true detachment. Of necessity and for self survival the first detachment is "forced". But as you face fears and DO WORK on yourself, you reach the point where you can "truly detach" in a loving way. You are kind, you are compassionate because you realise that doing so does not deprive you of any "power" that people speak about in relationships. be. It takes nothing away from you if that is how you are lead to conduct yourself. It does not make you small or powerless. In fact,to my mind it is not a power struggle at all. When you remove yourself from the "struggle", who does your S have to struggle with? Themselves, perhaps. But not you.

Truly detaching is a gift to self and others. It is the truest 180 of them all. That being said, it is more difficult with children in the mix, I imagine.
Posted By: ndsmhelp Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/27/09 06:03 PM
Quote:
Just an accumulation of what you, WT, nds, distressed, and so many others have told me over and over again over the past year.

I don't know how I got included in there...14 months and I had no clue what detaching really was until a couple of weeks ago, and I still have a ways to go buddy.

Good stuff though. It's where we all need to start and I realize that now. It's too late for the marriage, but at least I understand where I need to be to get my ass through this and come out the other side intact...and I have no doubt that I will.

I'll be catching up with you on the other side.

Tim
Posted By: steady Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/28/09 01:25 AM
lol nds. Of course you're right there in the mix. You reiterated that stuff to me dozens of times in my threads - as did so many others who helped me throughout my sitch. There's a difference between knowing something, and knowing (where it's in your bones and you are authentically doing it) that something. I did the best doing I could do at the point I was at - but the knowing was there as I was so often reminded by a quick swat with a 2x4 or two....or eight..lol. But I didn't have the [i]knowing[/] yet. I realize now I couldn't have done anything different than what I did. I did my best with the tools I had - At this space in time, I'm better at using those same tools, but I can't go back and use them with the new skills.

As I regain by confidence and self-esteem, I begin to realize that I'll be fine (I'll eventually find someone else if things go south),

You need more of this. A lot more of this. Keep working it until it's not a thought but a genuine authentic projection from your entire being.

but again, I worry about the kids.

I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old - you bet I'm worried about the impact all of this is going to have on them. Your kids, friends, family, et... are all included in the 'keep the focus on you' mantra. The only one NOT in that circle is your spouse. You need to do what's right for you and your kids. They need a solid structure to cling to...that would be you.

In addition, I always wonder what's going through my wife's through all of this...is this killing her like it is me or is she just happy like a clam? The fact that she hasn't filed tells me she is confuesed and unsure.

These sets of lines will give you an indication of how 'not' detached you are. Stop wondering what's going through her head. It's a TOTAL, I repeat TOTAL waste of your time and energy. I'll bet she doesn't even know what's going through her mind, and if she does, it changes constantly.

You can't deduce she's confused by the fact she hasn't yet filed. There can be an infinite choice of reason(s) why she hasn't filed. Confusion is just one of many choices - you picked it because it conveniently makes you feel good. But it's just a story you are writing in your own head. You can't know what's going on in that head of hers - even if she did tell you, how do you know it's the truth? (rhetorical question)

When you see yourself wondering about some 'aspect' of your W, just giggle at yourself and say, "I'm writing a story in my head again." Do that every time you catch yourself. It really is just that - a fictional story you're writing in you head and I can bet most of the chapters are negative.

Who knows.

No one knows. Therefore, don't waste another second on it.

Detaching is the hardest thing for a WAS to do. It's the only shot you have of saving yourself. (and the kids for whoever has them)

kara - It's my opinion you are right on the money with what you wrote.
Posted By: wolverine1997 Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/28/09 01:29 AM
Steady, thanks a lot for the info. I was very confused about detaching but have a better understanding now. This is really good stuff. I have to save this info to re-read at a later date. Thanks.
Posted By: SmileysPerson Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/28/09 02:06 AM
Very good post. Detachment #1 - what I've been calling the "Spiers Doctrine" -- the only way to function in combat is to assume you're already dead.

And you're right -- detachment doesn't mean you don't care about WAS. It means you don't care to let the outcome of the situation with WAS define your life. It means that Frodo Lives. No matter what. With her or without her; with him or without him.

What I know now -- what I really KNOW -- is that there's Someone Else out there for me. No matter what. She may be WAW -- new and improved. She may not be.

But the End of the Marriage, if it comes to that, is not -- is not -- IS NOT the End of Me.

I only got there by detaching. Detaching saved my life. Because it saved my sense of Me.
Posted By: orangedog Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/28/09 02:32 AM
Let's roll that clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKYJLfWqTBY
Posted By: AlexEN Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/28/09 04:14 AM
Steady,

Good stuff.

@Coach should put this in his Quotes Hall of Fame.

You are so right about Pseudo-Detaching...

I understood it way back when; knew I had to do it; thought I was there in December; and realize that I'm still not all the way there now, but I AM close...

But, it IS the KEY to what we are all trying to UNLOCK.

This should be required reading for newbies, because there will often be false starts and recognizing that that happens may keep some from having a false sense of security when things apparently "go north".

Don't fall for it; it isn't easy to achieve. If you THINK you've detached, you probably haven't. If you have detached, you will KNOW it.

-AlexEN
Hello Steady,

It's LFH again. I'm having a terrible time with this detachment thing. Today, I took a terrible backslide in my PMA and detachment. AlexEN is correct...if you think you've detached...you probably haven't.

To me, it seems detachment would be simple if one were to start dating. By focusing attention on someone else, I bet detachment would come sooner and easier. I'm not talking about anything inappropriate (ie jumping into the sack or falling in love), but spending time with a female whom I could share my daily experiences. This may be too dangerous and it could backfire. By loving my W as much as I do, I don't see myself ever completely detaching, unless she does something very inappropriate (like an affair). Maybe I need to pray more and have more faith in God. Oh boy, do I sound pathetic today!

What are your thoughts?
-LFH
Posted By: BigJohn Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/30/09 03:24 PM
Hello Steady,

It's LFH again. I'm having a terrible time with this detachment thing. Today, I took a terrible backslide in my PMA and detachment. AlexEN is correct...if you think you've detached...you probably haven't.

To me, it seems detachment would be simple if one were to start dating. By focusing attention on someone else, I bet detachment would come sooner and easier. I'm not talking about anything inappropriate (ie jumping into the sack or falling in love), but spending time with a female whom I could share my daily experiences. This may be too dangerous and it could backfire. By loving my W as much as I do, I don't see myself ever completely detaching, unless she does something very inappropriate (like an affair). Maybe I need to pray more and have more faith in God. Oh boy, do I sound pathetic today!

What are your thoughts?
-LFH

LFH,

The idea about spending time with other females to help you detach is not a good idea. Don't do it. I know how you feel about your W, I feel the same way. Stick to your guns and work on yourself, go GAL- do stuff with your (male) buddies and if you have kids, spend as much time with them as you can doing fun stuff. Lots of prayers and continued faith in God is definitely a good thing.

Hang in there!
Posted By: SmileysPerson Re: What I've learned about detaching - 06/30/09 03:45 PM
This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.

I hesitate indeed to issue blanket injunctions concerning other women. For my part, the companionship of women has been invaluable. Yes, I absolutely see the dangers if you're simply redirecting your affection or desire for WAW to OW.

However I've never been troubled by the idea of Female Friends -- in fact, I find the notion that one "can't" have a Female Friend if one is "spoken for" to be rather repellent.

For me, as a sounding board, as a source of validation of my Manly Assurance (TM), as a perspective on the divorce process (especially from Divorced Female Friends), the experience has been a ticket to Emotional Autonomy, via Detachment, Dropping the Rope, and Getting a Life.
Posted By: steady Re: What I've learned about detaching - 07/02/09 12:31 PM
Nothing wrong with female company if it's a part of social interaction. The problem comes if you are using those interactions to somehow distract or deflect you from dealing with improving yourself. Most times for men it is just for a quick fix for an internal issue that needs to be addressed. So use caution.

It can set you up with a fake sense of detachment.
© DivorceBusting.com