Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: DCBHM WAW/Affair & LRT for *me* - 02/05/10 08:52 PM
First of all, I pretty much gave up on reconciliation last year around August/September - but this had less to do with my W having an A than her actions and behavior which have been detrimental toward my children.

But I want to share my experience in implementing "dropping the rope" and meaning it, and how it has affected my own positive mental image and sense of self.

Does dropping the rope completely mean you have abandoned all hope for the M? I don't think so. I think it actually empowers you to be in a better position to 'negotiate' any return by your WS and sets the tone for what is and is not acceptable.

Around last September I stopped seeing my IC, primarily due to financial reasons - but also because my short stint on ADs and getting into an exercise routine worked wonders for my mental image. I began dating again, and not in the sense that I really cared what my W thought, but simply to meet new people and remind myself that I am an attractive individual, and that people are out there with varying experience positive and negative - and although I haven't entered a relationship with anyone (D still ongoing), each person has left some sort of impression that helps me think about what relationships should be - and to put my M into context.

I've got some old threads on here discussing my day to day experience, emotions, thoughts, ideas, and basically I was so wrapped up in wanting to save the M that I stressed myself out considerably.

At some point the thoughtlessness and ravages of the A hit you, and the effects it has on your children (if you have any) quickly deplete any feelings you have toward your WS. Some recommend that in order to save your M, you have to protect your own feelings - and in a sense I guess this is true. Perhaps I would feel differently had I insulated myself better - and if the OM didn't live next door would maybe have made that easier. smile

Nevertheless - I think it is perfectly fine for me to feel that regardless of hormones, addictive properties, etc. - your WS made a decision that seemed 'easier' at the time than dealing with the real life everyday problems between yourselves. In the process, many of you have been wrecked emotionally, some financially, and socially if your WS took the opportunity to 'explain' to everyone why they left... since after all it couldn't be their fault at all.

One thing I've learned through this - is that sometimes what you feel isn't the same as what you should do. For instance, you feel like begging - yet common sense and experience here tells you that won't work.

The point I reached is that I wanted to do what was best for me and my children. I put them first - and whether I felt like it or not I made the decisions that put me where I am now, as I have to be strong, happy, and supportive for them regardless of whether I liked it or not at first.

I've been virtually NC outside of custody swaps with W for 6 months. She has played games with custody - and I required legal intervention for Thanksgiving and Christmas. As far as I know she is still seeing OM... but I don't really 'care' in a sense of worrying about it. I could find out, but I could care less outside of how it affects the D.

That has been the key for me... I spend my afternoons with my kids. I take them to the gym with me, where they play with other children while I lift weights, jog, swim, and I even started going to a tanning bed. I wear cologne, I dress nicer, and I flirt with virtually any cute girl I pass.

I enjoy who I am. I'm happy for me. Whatever W does or doesn't do isn't on my radar, because I'm worried about me and not her.

All those same destructive behaviors are there. I'm being given plenty of ammunition still for the custody issue - and W's attorney has continued the delay, delay, delay game and will continue to do so as long as the Judge allows her to.

But I've found other things to occupy my time, and GAL and going dark has given me the opportunity to find solid ground again.

As much as you feel like you want to 'fight' for the M, you've got to step back and take care of yourself. Don't get so wrapped up at what your WS is doing that you neglect yourself.

S8/S9/D1 are doing well. I bought D1 a purse and toy cell phone the other day, and she slings the purse over her arm, brushes her hair out of her face, and starts blabbing into the phone. Cutest thing ever.

Anyway, I hope you all found something useful in this. I'm also willing to answer questions regarding the legal stuff, as some of you are embroiled in it yourselves - and I'm willing to offer advice based on what I did right and wrong during this process.
Posted By: newmama Re: WAW/Affair & LRT for *me* - 02/05/10 10:21 PM
DCHM, so you are divorcing for sure? And you are done with W?
good job detaching!
Posted By: Day by Day Re: WAW/Affair & LRT for *me* - 02/06/10 03:42 AM
DCBHM, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm pretty much getting to this same point. Glad to hear how it's working out for *you*. I'll probably take you up on your offer to answer questions on legal stuff as I'm just starting D process.
Posted By: DCBHM Re: WAW/Affair & LRT for *me* - 02/06/10 04:53 AM
Originally Posted By: newmama
DCHM, so you are divorcing for sure? And you are done with W?
good job detaching!

Yes, I'm just trying to stop the trial date from shifting. Detaching really makes it a lot easier to get yourself right.

There isn't much you can do while an A is ongoing anyone after the initial expose/confront (should you choose to do so) so detachment should be the primary thing you focus on after.

Originally Posted By: Day by Day
DCBHM, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm pretty much getting to this same point. Glad to hear how it's working out for *you*. I'll probably take you up on your offer to answer questions on legal stuff as I'm just starting D process.

Ask away. And yes - this works for me as stated. Some people are able to last longer due to situations, but each situation is different.

Listen to the advice of Puppy, Theoden, and others who are here. They have varying perspectives and advice - but it helps you to form something solid for yourself.
Posted By: Gnosis Re: WAW/Affair & LRT for *me* - 02/23/10 05:04 AM
DC, good to see you again. I almost missed this thread... and did some backtracking to check out your last few posts. I'm glad you're doing well bro and hope you can get the trial date to stick.
Posted By: blownaway65 Re: WAW/Affair & LRT for *me* - 02/23/10 11:30 AM
DCBHM, Aside from the ages of our kids, which is kind of irrelevent anyway, my sitch and where I'm at now are spookily close to yours.

Good Luck going forward.
Posted By: jasper67 Re: WAW/Affair & LRT for *me* - 02/23/10 02:13 PM
Originally Posted By: DCBHM

As much as you feel like you want to 'fight' for the M, you've got to step back and take care of yourself. Don't get so wrapped up at what your WS is doing that you neglect yourself.

This is where I have gotten stuck -I have self destructed in many ways- I am coming out of it slowly, but man it's the worst part to get stuck in. I would have rather been crying my eyes out for 4 months than neglect myself as I have.

I appreciate you sharing your journey
Posted By: DCBHM Re: WAW/Affair & LRT for *me* - 02/23/10 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Gnosis
DC, good to see you again. I almost missed this thread... and did some backtracking to check out your last few posts. I'm glad you're doing well bro and hope you can get the trial date to stick.

We will see. Harassing behavior currently using discovery procedure, but we'll see how that turns out. Should be soon.

Originally Posted By: blownaway65
DCBHM, Aside from the ages of our kids, which is kind of irrelevent anyway, my sitch and where I'm at now are spookily close to yours.

Good Luck going forward.

Put your children first. Keep them at the forefront, and keep perspective on what you want should you ultimately D. Do not expend yourself early in the fight. Just sort of bide your time until the end and get set. I got ready early on, but it is a long wait.

Originally Posted By: maynard2121
Originally Posted By: DCBHM

This is where I have gotten stuck -I have self destructed in many ways- I am coming out of it slowly, but man it's the worst part to get stuck in. I would have rather been crying my eyes out for 4 months than neglect myself as I have.

I appreciate you sharing your journey

At first I didn't feel like doing much, but I started dressing nicer, wearing cologne, etc. and gradually just focused on doing things besides sitting around the house.

Eventually your mindset begins to match your actions. Anxiety and depression can be combatted with therapy and ADs, but be wary of side effects and work with your doctor to make sure you get the right one. The first one I took pretty much caused some odd mood changes.

Get into exercise, and spending time with our kids if you have any.

Good luck otherwise. I know from my own experience "OM1" has lasted persistently for nearly a year and a half. But primarily via phone contact and whatever they sneak around on. I know W lies to her family, and I'm not worried about any further exposure because I gave up on her.

I'm quite certain the drama of the D and her mental state have pretty much driven the A along as her lifeboat. When things are over I fully expect reality to weigh in.

Not a journey I'm willing to wait on her to finish.
Posted By: Puppy Dog Tails Re: WAW/Affair & LRT for *me* - 02/23/10 06:44 PM
Good to hear from you, as always, DC! Take care of that little princess!

Puppy
Posted By: Kimmie Lee Re: WAW/Affair & LRT for *me* - 02/24/10 04:07 AM
"Not a journey I'm willing to wait on her to finish."

I so admire you for not wanting to waste another moment of your time on this.

And you are such a great Dad. I always looked forward to reading about your mornings with your Darling Daughter. So sweet.
Posted By: DCBHM Re: WAW/Affair & LRT for *me* - 02/25/10 03:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Kimmie Lee
"Not a journey I'm willing to wait on her to finish."

I so admire you for not wanting to waste another moment of your time on this.

And you are such a great Dad. I always looked forward to reading about your mornings with your Darling Daughter. So sweet.

I suppose I'll update you then. smile

D1 was doing well this morning. She was eating when I arrived, and came up to me to give me a hug and let me hold her for a few minutes. But lately that seems to be all she wants as she gets back down to go eat/play and waves 'bye' while slamming the door in my face. lol

Better than crying like she used to when I'd leave.

She is growing up. Throws her little purse over her shoulder, brushes her hair out of her face with one hand, and starts blabbing into her toy cell phone. Every so often carries around a baby doll on her shoulder.

She seems to be picking up on being a little girl. So that is always fun to see.

She also loves dancing...
Posted By: Puppy Dog Tails Re: WAW/Affair & LRT for *me* - 02/25/10 04:14 PM
Always LOVE the D1 updates, DCB! Now that I have a little granddaughter, I can't WAIT for her to get a little bigger! grin

Puppy
Posted By: karen43 Re: WAW/Affair & LRT for *me* - 02/27/10 06:14 PM
I'm one of those that love to hear your updates about your dd as well. She sounds like a total sweetie!!! smile So glad to hear you sound like you're doing really good!!!
© DivorceBusting.com