I think to the MLCer we are ALWAYS plan B. Now, as to what it might take for them to try to come back to PLan B - that varies a lot depending on the person and the situation. But if you were a good spouse, and have your act together, there's probably always a part of the WAS who thinks they could go back if things got bad enough in their own life.

Now, my ex couldn't possibly dig himself an economic hole big enough that he would need any financial stability from me (I think, anyway). And he could probably always use his money to attract another woman if his child bride were to dump him. And I'm pretty sure he knows I wouldn't have him back on a silver platter. So I don't expect that he would ever try to come back. That's not to say he might not have moments when he misses the things I brought to the relationship - I'm sure he must.

But if Andrew's ex were to get booted by her boyfriend/OM, and had run out of alimony dollars, and there's nice guy Andrew with his paid off house and his tidy habits - sure, I bet in her mind she flatters herself that she could always go back to him if she needed. But she doesn't know that ship has sailed. The users always think they can go back to using their previous victims. Because they were victims, right? They mostly haven't figured out that we're not chumps anymore.