Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: AmyC Our challenge for the New Year - 01/01/09 03:06 AM
I read this earlier and thought of all of us.

The Two Lists

I was fortunate to spend time with an enigmatic man named Robert during a very special period of my life. Robert taught me many things during our days together, and this time of year reminds me of one particular interaction we had.

"Now that you are becoming more aware," Robert said, "you need to begin to set goals for yourself so you don't lose the momentum you have built."

"Like New Year's resolutions?" I asked.

"That's an interesting idea," he smirked. "Let's do that."

By then I was used to his cryptic responses, so I knew something was up because of the way his eyes sparkled as he let out an impish laugh.

"Tonight's assignment is to make two lists," Robert continued. "The first is a list of all the New Year's resolutions you WANT to keep, and the second is a list of all the New Year's resolutions you WILL keep. Write the WANT List first, and when you have exhausted all of your ideas, then write the second list on another sheet of paper."

That night I went home and spent several hours working on the two lists. The WANT List felt overwhelming at first, but after a while I got into writing all the things I had always wanted to do if the burdens of life hadn't gotten in the way.

After nearly an hour, the list swelled to fill the entire page and contained nearly all of my ideas of an ideal life. The second list was much easier, and I was able to quickly commit ten practical resolutions that I felt would be both realistic and helpful.

The next day, I met Robert in front of the local food Co-op, where we seemed to have most of our enlightening conversations.

"Tell me about your two lists," Robert said as the familiar smirk crept onto his face.

"The first list contains all the things I SHOULD do if I completely changed my life to be the person I always wanted to be. And the second list contains all the things I COULD do by accepting my current life, and taking realistic steps towards the life I want to lead."

"Let me see the second list," he said.

I handed him the second list, and without even looking at it, he ripped the paper into tiny pieces and threw it in the nearby garbage can.

His disregard for the effort I had put into the list annoyed me at first, but after I calmed down I began to think about the first list in a different light.

In my heart, I knew the second list was a cop out, and the first list was the only one that really mattered.

"And now, the first list." Robert bowed his head and held out both of his hands.

I handed him the first list and held his gaze for several seconds, waiting for him to begin reading the page.

After an unusually long silence, he began to crumple the paper into a ball and once again tossed it into the can without looking at it.

"What did you do that for?!" I couldn't hide my anger any longer.

Robert began to speak in a quiet and assured voice.

"What you SHOULD or COULD do with your life no longer matters. The only thing that matters, from this day forward, is what you MUST do."

He then drew a folded piece of paper from his back pocket and handed it to me.

I opened it carefully and found a single word floating in the middle of the white page:

LOVE

Happy New Year everyone!

AmyC
Posted By: job Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/01/09 03:09 AM
Happy New Year to you too.
Posted By: lost-n-found Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/01/09 04:57 AM
Happy New Year AmyC!!!! I posted to you on Franks thread! I haven't been around here for quite a while but was peeking in... not too many familiar names anymore. I read through your thread in the Prayer Circle and wanted to say that I sure hope things keep moving in a positive direction for you.... I can't believe it's been 3 years you've been climbing this mountain. You've been through one hell of a journey and I'm glad to see that you're still hanging in there.... still bustin' a few chops too I'm sure...lol.

I spent many many hours on these boards and you were always such a kick.... lifted me out of a funk and gave me some much needed laughs many times. Just wanted to say hey and thanks for those bright spots in otherwise dark times.

Happy New Year and may you be blessed with your hearts desire in the year ahead!!!!

~lost
Posted By: AmyC Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/01/09 05:04 AM
Hey woman!

Yep you kept me rolling as well.
Those were good times around here, back then.
Not so much now.
Many that didn't leave on their own got banned.

LOL

Take care of yourself and have a wonderful new year!!
Posted By: sandi2 Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/17/09 12:36 PM
Hey Girlfriend,

How are you doing these days? Think of you often but don't talk to you enough. Things are much better in my M thanks to God and my H. I feel closer to the Lord now and as the old saying I saw on a Sunday School wall one time said, "If you feel far away from God, guess who moved?" So, I had to do the moving back to where I need to be. I still spend a lot of time on the board. My health doesn't allow for much else at the end of the work day, so I had rather be here than sitting in front of a boring TV show. I try to spend some time with my H.....which means sitting in fron of a boring TV show (lol). Anway, wanted to say hi and tell you I hope this will be the year your family will heal and all be together under the same roof.

Love ya,
Sandi
Posted By: Gman3388 Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/19/09 02:10 PM
Happy New Year Amy!
Damn Good story!
Posted By: craig54 Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/19/09 03:57 PM
Nice to see you back Amy, happy new year.
Posted By: cat03 Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/20/09 05:08 AM
hey girl!! happy new year too, nice to "see"you
Posted By: MissH Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/20/09 05:53 PM
I don't think Amy is back. I believe this is a thread she started before she got banned. Just so you know. ;\)
Posted By: brandnewday Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/20/09 09:19 PM
You can find her on Facebook!!
Posted By: cat03 Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 05:04 AM
she got banned? sheesh!. Thanks BD! I got her email, I'll look for her
Posted By: Dido Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 06:21 AM
Amy, you're still here? I haven't been by in a while and barely remembered my password. I hope you're well. I have a friend who's H is just starting MLC so I though I would bone up on it again and introduce her to the site. God, it seems like forever ago and yesterday.
Posted By: Nutty Chick Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 02:46 PM
Originally Posted By: MrsH
I don't think Amy is back. I believe this is a thread she started before she got banned. Just so you know. ;\)

Amy C has been banned?

I can't believe that!

Anyone know why?

Nutty.
Posted By: AmyC Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 02:58 PM

She's back

;\)
Posted By: fisherman Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 03:00 PM
NO WAY!!!

I had to do a triple take!!

Welcome Back!!!
Posted By: AmyC Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 03:04 PM
Thanks!

You all packed for your road trip into redneck territory Saturday? ;\)
Posted By: fisherman Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 03:15 PM
I've got a ton of house work to do tonight. I'm so looking forward to this. Oh and I saw your "premonition." I am NOT that dork in the backseat.
Posted By: Mach1 Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 03:26 PM
Yes he is.......slobber and all...

WELCOME BACK AMY !!!!!!!!
Posted By: AmyC Re: Our challenge for the New Year *DELETED* - 01/21/09 03:27 PM
Posted By: fisherman Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 03:30 PM
Well,

I guess if I had to chose one it would be him. Mach is rollin shotgun.
Posted By: Mach1 Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 03:30 PM
Was that taken from a traffic cam?
Posted By: fisherman Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 03:33 PM
Not anymore, It just plain got taken.

Sorry. I so needed a good laugh though, and that did it.
Posted By: AmyC Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Mach1
Was that taken from a traffic cam?

Could have been so ya'll be sure to smile on the way to the 'burg on Saturday, k?!

LOL

Seriously, I think it's from SNL but I snagged it from photobucket

"Mach1", huh?

Sorry...had to clean the soda out of my keyboard

Dude everybody knows a Pinto can't go Mach 1.

LOL
Posted By: AmyC Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 03:35 PM

Oh snap - sorry Virginia!!!!
Posted By: Nutty Chick Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: AmyC

She's back

;\)

LOL, GOOD! \:D
Posted By: MissH Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 08:26 PM
Nice to see you back Amy. ;\)
Posted By: AmyC Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 08:34 PM
Thanks, Mrs. H!

How are things?
Posted By: MissH Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 08:40 PM
Well besides me pulling my back out somehow and having one of those MLCers that will never reach the end of the tunnel (although for the most part he has been nicer) I am ok. ;\) Thanks for asking!
Posted By: AmyC Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 08:46 PM
Sorry about your back.

Have you ever thought of boarding up the exit?

;\)
Posted By: MissH Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 09:44 PM
What do you mean?
Posted By: AmyC Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 09:46 PM
I was teasing.
It would free you from limbo - just lock him in the tunnel.

Just joking of course!
Good to see you back, AmyC!

Knew you couldn't stay away from our wonderfulness! \:\)
Posted By: AmyC Re: Our challenge for the New Year - 01/21/09 09:56 PM

Nah - I guess you could say - ala Twilight - ya'll are "my brand of heroin"

LMAO!
© DivorceBusting.com