Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
Well since I checked in last, we've now had a full week of everyone living under the same roof. Considering we are blending two families together that comprise not one, nor two, but a total of four teenagers - things have gone fairly well. A few observations:

a. My fiancé's D18 takes REALLY and I mean REALLY long showers in the morning. My D17 has adapted to this by taking her relatively short shower in the evening before going to bed. I'm not sure yet if my hot water heater has adapted to it and I'm attempting to prepare myself for the impact on the utility bills. eek

b. Both of her kids (D18 and S16) REALLY and I mean REALLY like living in my house - which makes me happy. smile They are comfortable in their rooms and like the safety and walkability of the neighborhood.

c. My fiancé and I have a much different tolerance for teenage backtalk. Her kids tend to give her more sass, ok a lot more sass than I would ever permit mine and in fact my two girls have expressed their shock in how they talk to her at times. I am working really hard to stay out of their frays since it's not my place to interject and I figure this is something that has gone on for some time and apparently they are all comfortable with it. My girls know that I wouldn't put up with it, so that's what counts.

Aside from a couple of other mild annoyances (time management items - i.e. her S16 is habitually late for everything (primarily due to his computer game playing) and doesn't get out the door to leave until my fiancé has basically nagged him to death) - overall I'm pretty happy with everything. It's only been a couple of weeks and only one of those was with everyone in the house.

I think just as we really get comfortable with the living arrangements things will change again. Her S16 leaves for almost the entire Summer in late June to spend it with his paternal grandparents. Once he returns my D18 and her D18 will be heading off to college. The times they are a changing! :-)

BA

W
W
It's only just begun...you sound happy BA. Congrats!

Divorced February 27, 2012.

"Only by love is love awakened".~ Ellen G White
BA,

Maybe you and Carol can have a discussion out of the house to do a 30 day evaluation of things - clear the air. She might have concerns as well?

Personally, I have a problem with back talk and nagging as well - and that would have to be addressed. I'm assuming that Carol doesn't back talk her teenagers or let them nag her, and it's disrespectful.

Good job!

Bets

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard