Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
D
D
Originally Posted by AndrewP
We do make much nicer pies here than are possible in those barbarian lands you inhabit.

Andrew,

I'm about to prove you wrong; checkout my recipe below.

doodler's delight

Ingredients
1 Pre-made pie crust with foil liner
1 Large bag of gummy bears
1 Can whipped cream

Instructions
Step 1: Remove the pie crust from the package.
Step 2: Spread the gummy bears uniformly in the pie crust
Step 3: Spray whipped cream on top of the gummy bears

Variations
If you'd like a tropical flair, you can sprinkle some coconut on top of the gummy bears. For something more exotic, sprinkle a pinch of cardamom on the pie. In addition, you can top the whipped cream with one or more cherries.

Enjoy!

D
DnJ Offline
D
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Perhaps DnJ's son can make this as I understand that he now owns a whisk.

Lol.

Yes he has ventured into whisk-hood. The possession and ownership of such a culinarily utensil is a powerful responsibility. Pie and pancakes demand creation. One must listen to the will of the whisk. Many a kitchen has become haunted by the will-o’-whisk when not used often enough. You have been warned.

I do have a whisk, left behind, a lbw. It demands useage. That pancake recipe should assuage it’s need to bake.

Or maybe doodler’s gummy bear pie.

smile

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Love the person, forgive the sin.
D
D

Andrew,

I'm channeling your inner Phaedrus. There's a YouTube channel that you need to be aware of; the name of the channel is alfsvoid. Search for "alfsvoid" on YouTube or via Google. You'll understand what you're missing (thus the void).

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by doodler
Andrew,

I'm channeling your inner Phaedrus. There's a YouTube channel that you need to be aware of; the name of the channel is alfsvoid. Search for "alfsvoid" on YouTube or via Google. You'll understand what you're missing (thus the void).
Wow - something I didn't have to search in incognito mode laugh

I may have to check my shelves. I think I actually have some Socrates that I bought at a discount shop years ago and never got to. CL used to chastise me and suggest that I should be reading something written this century. She'd be highly disappointed with Socrates laugh I'm sure that I can find something on Gutenberg although my "to be read" pile is already quite large. I still have much of the works of GK Chesterton to go through and I started that while in in-house separation. I recently picked up a digital copy of the biography of the father of Alexandre Dumas which looked interesting and haven't even opened that.

A common theme with B and I is that she thinks we should be spending time together where she does her thing and me reading my obscure books.

I do imagine my friend that if we were to meet in real life that our conversations would consist of you saying something I've never heard of before and me suddenly getting interested in it. Sometime you'll have to try to connect with Dawn - she's not asked but she may have suspected where I get my taco recipes from.

------

I'll probably update my "real" diary later - possibly copy/pasting from here but thought I'd give a more normal update. I've not abandoned this place nor my friends here. Just pulling back a bit.

Regional junior science fair today. Oh my heavens - such passion from the kids. They were excited about their projects and in many ways did better than the senior kids I saw last week who were also impressive. I believe that this was grade 4-7. There were a few who "phoned it in" but overall I was very impressed. One pair of girls did a very cool project on the effects of various cleaning products on permanent marker - because they were wanting to start baby-sitting and expected this to be an issue. I had talked to them, letting them know that I was in the Chemical industry and talking about the active ingredients in some of their tests which I figured bored them. When they saw me they essentially read cue cards for their presentation which got them lower marks. The second judge was blown away about how they were engaged in their topic and talked ad-hoc about it mentioning the other judge who was in the "cleaning business".

I really enjoyed myself both interacting with the kids and the other judges who were all very positive and similarly excited to be there, even the ones who had done it for a decade or more. Having a softer heart than the average bear I did my best to be very positive to all the kids even if I thought that they could have done much better. It's not for me to judge - except that it "was" wink But there was no way that I would do anything other than be positive and encouraging to these kids. I do expect that this will be a regular thing for me. The judges are a fascinating mix of academics and industry people. I did get brownie points from a recent PHD student who is studying the effects of different metals in nuclear reactors when I told him that oxalic acid will clean his coffee cup. A tip he's going to share with his graduate students after submitting the process to appropriate academic review and duplicating my own test results.

I did have a bit of a challenge on a personal level. Book Shop Lady came again and sat with me and was almost in tears because a dear friend of her's had passed this morning but she powered through for the kids. I really felt like she needed a strong hug and a shoulder to cry on but the best I could do was to be sympathetic and listen. I don't know - I really feel strongly about not crossing a line about physical contact in some ways. Not that it's related but B does seem to be "interested" in where I am and who I'm talking to which reminds me of the old saying that second wives seem to always travel with their husbands on business. At the end of the science fair I did look around to see if BSL was about to suggest we have a cup of coffee and a visit but she wasn't around. Probably for the best.

------------

B went to the airport this morning around 2:30 am. I happened to be awake and I expect she was pleased at the early "Good morning Beautiful" which my phone now auto-completes. She's in Punta Cana for the next week and a half funded by her recently widowed sister. She sent me a picture of a familiar pair of legs and set of pretty toes against a backdrop of sand and sea in the afternoon. This trip will be good in quite a few ways both for her and I expect for "us". Tomorrow I leave for Norfolk on a 5 day trip which will put me out of easy communication range and so will give us a break from each other. It will also give her a break from her son / grandkids and the associated drama.

The extended trip might cause some confusion with her Easter plans which were pretty vague already since she won't be back until the early morning of the 20th meaning that we probably won't see each other for 2 weekends in a row. While I'd be happy to share our Easter feast of roast duck and the fucassa she made for us, it is far more appropriate and expected that she spends time with her kids and close family. And yes, I'll be missing the purely physical touch that we share and enjoy.

I've got load #1 of 3 of laundry in. I think I'll probably try to get everything taken care of including my ironing today before I go. I do so like to come home to a non-mess even if usually S24 is busy doing dishes as I pull in the drive. I'm really looking forward to seeing D26 - we may also try to watch "Who Killed Don Quixote" which I am really looking forward to.

And for those playing the home game - liver and onions on the menu for dinner tonight.

Tomorrow I'll be heading out around 7:00 am with my first stop north of DC. I have a conference call at 1:00 pm that I'll be doing on the road despite being on vacation.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
job Offline
Travel safely and enjoy your time visiting DC and eating at Ben's Chili Bowl. If you get a chance, pop over to the Basic and catch a glimpse of the Cherry Blossoms. If not there, while traveling across the bridge into VA you can look across and see them.

Travel safely and enjoy your time away.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
D
D
Safe travels and have a blast! If you decide to go west, young man (and south), swing by and say hello. wink I can't wait to hear about it and see pics when you get back.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
D
D
Oh and if you have the opportunity, do a night tour of all of the memorials in DC. They are amazing in the daytime, but even more so at night.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
At my hotel in Maryland north of DC. I'm doing my best to fit in by saying Y'all every third word. Slow to arrive because of spending an hour sitting on an off-ramp on a conference call for work. Vacation I suppose is a word that happens to other people. I've sent off the relevant memos that I committed to do.

I did manage to find a Tim Hortons in Batavia NY that actually served a half decent cup of tea. Probably the last tea like substance that I'll be able to find for some days. Depending on traffic around and through DC I hope to be in Norfolk by supper time.

Sitting here in the hotel catching up on various things but in to bed soon. As a random experiment I checked and there actually is a Welcome To Night Vale Weather stream on Spotify. And only the coolest of the cool will know what I'm talking about there.

B is having a good time with her sister. Several pictures of sun and palm trees and a pretty lady were waiting for me to have an internet connection. I believe she misses me as I do her. Our relationship has perhaps progressed to the point where she checked with me today to be sure that I had something healthy to eat but not so far that "burrito" didn't pass as "healthy". If you were to read our messages you would imagine that we're 40 years younger than we actually are. She's gone out for dinner with her sister. I think she's really enjoying herself.

Before I checked in I picked up and am currently drinking a can of something that claims to be beer that has the odd name of Coors Light. There's a picture of a mountain on the can. Perhaps that's where the goat that contributed comes from?

I may stop by Goddard tomorrow morning to see if there's anything new at the visitor's centre. There is a strong possibility that this may be my last trip down this way but I do think that there will be another in the late summer. Makes me sad in some ways as there is a lot that I've not seen. The naval museum is supposedly a hidden treasure. There's more than one and the obvious one is I believe not worth the effort. I'm not actually interested in American "history" but a good nautical or space museum is worth going out of my way for. For the next while I do expect that between B and her friends and family plus my own I do expect that my social calendar will be busy and D26 will be moving to San Diego in the fall. I do need to let her know that B is perhaps a more important part of my life than she may have thought. S24 certainly knows in no small part because of the extra baking that he's gotten.

Is there anyone in this country who I haven't insulted yet? Don't worry - I'll get to you laugh I do think that I need to curl up under the covers now. I'm almost at the end of That Hideous Strength by CS Lewis that I perhaps last read 20 years ago. I do find that especially given the dramatic life changes that I've had in recent times that his work has new meaning for me.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
G
G
Coors light? Nooooooo! That’s not real beer!

T
T
OH NO COORS LIGHT!!!!! Takes me back to my college years!!! Your a brave man A!!!

Married 14, Together 17
M: 44, W: 43, D: 8, D: 6
M: 46, W: 45. D: 10. D: 8 (CUR)
Bomb Dropped: 5/28/2017
Separation Date: 6/17/2017
Divorce Filed: 2/7/2018
Divorce Final: 4/12/2018
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard