Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I think that I've been sharing a bit more about myself and more importantly, someone else here lately than I perhaps should.

I'm going to take a bit of a step back.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
E
E
Andrew, you are wise, kind and insightful.

Trust your instinct! (((A)))

D
D
Why is it taking so long for her to be divorced???

We are worried about you Andrew. B goes from guy to guy to guy without taking any breaks to focus on herself. That is a red flag that you've either ignored or accepted. As the other have already said, you didn't mention a single red flag about yourself. The money thing I'd consider a yellow flag. Something you didn't mention is that you are a KISA and have trouble saying no to others... which is more a flag for yourself, but it's still a concern.

You've been talking about filling the empty bedrooms long before you started dating B. I won't be surprised if she has moved in when her 1 year agreement with her son is over... I think you said that's in June? Even though it's taking "twice as long" as the last time someone moved in. Things are different this time. Your XW wasn't married when she moved in. Have you talked to your son about the possibility of B moving in?

There were a few things you mentioned about B and then you put blame on her husband for why she reacted that way... these kinds of things, if B had taken the time to heal herself in between relationships (especially after her marriage "ended"), would not be happening.

We only want the best for you, Andrew.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
For those playing the home game, first set of kid introductions went well. I met her daughter, son in law and 1 grand-kid. We ate ribs.

S24 was dissapointed that he didn't meet B this past weekend but the pizza was tasty.

I'm keeping my diary elsewhere.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D
D
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so thrilled to hear this for you. That's a big step, even when the kids are grown, because when they are adults, they will say EXACTLY what they think. LOL I'm sure you don't know what that is like, do you?

I'm sorry to hear that you are moving your diary, though, as I quite enjoy your stories of you and B and just your stories in general. You know how to find me if you just want to share stories with someone. wink

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
D
D
Originally Posted by AndrewP
I'm keeping my diary elsewhere.

In lieu of Andrew's diary, I've posted some slightly annotated historical facts about pie. (Many thanks to piecouncil dot org.)

* Pie has been around since the ancient Egyptians. The first pies were made by early Romans who may have learned about it through the Greeks. These pies were sometimes made in "reeds" which were used for the sole purpose of holding the filling and not for eating with the filling.

* The Romans must have spread the word about pies around Europe as the Oxford English Dictionary notes that the word pie was a popular word in the 14th century. The first pie recipe was published by the Romans and was for a rye-crusted goat cheese and honey pie.

* The early pies were predominately meat pies. Pyes (pies) originally appeared in England as early as the twelfth century. The crust of the pie was referred to as "coffyn". There was actually more crust than filling. Often these pies were made using fowl and the legs were left to hang over the side of the dish and used as handles. Fruit pies or tarts (pasties) were probably first made in the 1500s. English tradition credits making the first cherry pie to Queen Elizabeth I.

* Pie came to America (and pseudo America) with the first English settlers. The early colonists cooked their pies in long narrow pans calling them "coffins" like the crust in England. As in the Roman times, the early American pie crusts often were not eaten, but simply designed to hold the filling during baking. It was during the American Revolution that the term crust was used instead of coffyn.

* Over the years, pie has evolved to become what it is today "the most traditional American (and pseudo American) dessert". Pie has become so much a part of American (and pseudo American) culture throughout the years, that we now commonly use the term "as American as apple pie."

* AndrewP uses pie as an aphrodisiac to ignite the passions of unsuspecting damsels.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I like pie!

I had a Melton Mowbray pork pie just now for lunch. With mustard.

Still working on today's diary entry about the weekend. Using full names makes for more typing it seems.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D
D

Whilst we await Andrew to type the full names, I thought I'd post a pie recipe. (Thanks to foodnetwork dot ca.)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Directions for: Tourtiere with a Twist

INGREDIENTS

Pastry

3 ½ cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 ¼ cup cold butter, grated
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp ice-cold water, more as needed

Filling
1 lb(s) ground pork
½ lb(s) ground veal, hare, or beef
1 large onion, minced
2 clove garlic chopped
Salt and pepper
1 tsp summery savoury, more to taste
Pinch ground cloves (optional)
4 to 6 tablespoons breadcrumbs

DIRECTIONS

Pastry

1. Put the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add the grated butter. Pinch quickly with the fingers to create a coarse, crumbly mixture. Make a well in the centre. Put in the eggs and the water. Quickly mix into the flour, just until the mixture holds together. Do not over-mix. Divide into 4 balls and flatten into disks. Wrap in plastic and let rest in the refrigerator half an hour before using.

Filling
1. Put 1/2 cup/125 ml water in a sauté pan and quickly bring to a boil. Combine all the remaining ingredients, apart from the breadcrumbs, and stir into the water. Cover, and cook until the meat is done, about 20 minutes. Remove the lid, stir in the breadcrumbs, and continue cooking uncovered until the liquid has evaporated. Check the seasonings, and cool.
2. Heat the oven to 450°F/230°C. Roll a disk of pastry into a rectangle. Spoon a generous stripe of meat mixture down the middle of it. Fold the short ends, up in over the meat making sure to trim any excess pastry, otherwise it will be too thick.Then fold over the long ends so that they overlap to seal, again, trim any excess pastry so it will bake evenly. Turn the log onto a baking sheet, seam-side down. Make a few slits in the top to let steam escape. Brush the top with milk for a golden crust. Bake until the pastry is crisp and nicely coloured, about 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Note: Originally this was going to be called "Andrew's Pie" but he was so d@mn slow typing his own name that a decision was made to call it Tourtiere pie.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I understand that exquisitetobe makes a very nice savoury pie. doodler - I appreciate that you are looking at Canadian pie recipes. We do make much nicer pies here than are possible in those barbarian lands you inhabit.

Crusts are far too intimidating for me so I use the ones that come rolled up in a box from Pillsbury. No pie baking for the next while though. I'm judging the junior regional science fair tomorrow and then heading off on Thursday to Norfolk with a stop at Ben's Chili Bowl for lunch. I will be back after the chili is well digested very late the following Monday. I hope to get to a screening of Who Killed Don Quixote at some point as well. No promises on the state of chili digestion given.

I made this recipe after the Maple Syrup festival on the weekend as I was too lazy to stand in line for hours for pancakes and B while willing undoubtedly wouldn't have had a lot of fun in the queue. For those who want to try this, I did learn some time ago that caster sugar is Australia speak for regular granulated sugar. The "I" in the recipe is the original author - a very nice young lady who recently had a baby.

Perhaps DnJ's son can make this as I understand that he now owns a whisk.

Lonely Girl Pancakes - A Single Serve Pancake Recipe

Author: Swah
Serves: 1

Pancake Ingredients:
¼ cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp flavourless oil (I used sunflower)
¼ cup milk
1 egg
Pinch of salt

Optional extras:
Maple syrup
1 tbsp shredded coconut
¼ cup of blueberries
Ice cream
Cheats Berry Sauce Ingredients:
¼ cup frozen berries
1 tsp icing sugar

Instructions
Sift dry ingredients into a jug and mix.
In a separate bowl (I just use a mug), whisk together the egg, milk and oil until combined.
Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until well combined. If using additional flavourings, such as berries or coconut, add now and stir gently to combine.
Lightly grease a non-stick fry pan and heat to a medium temperature.
Making this mixture in a jug will make it easier to portion out the batter – make this to your preferred size. I made 5 pancakes about 10cm in diameter.
Cook until bubbles form on surface, flip and cook the other side until lightly browned.
Serve either with a garnish of extra berries and coconut and a drizzle of maple syrup, or see below for a Cheats Berry Sauce.

Cheats Berry Sauce Method:
Put frozen berries in a microwave-proof container, cover it with paper towel or a slightly askew lid. Cook on high for 30 seconds until hot and bubbling.
Add in icing sugar and whisk, combining the sugar and breaking down the berries into a sauce.
You can add a teaspoon of water and strain this if you want a smooth sauce, otherwise the whisk will sufficiently break the berries down to a thick and delicious sauce.

Variations:
Make it vegan – Substitute 1 egg for 1/2 a mashed banana. Substitute milk for soy or almond milk.

Make it healthier – Substitute the plain flour for whole wheat or coconut flour. Omit the sugar and oil and add extra berries for sweetness and moisture.

Make it naughtier – Substitute the berries for chocolate chips. Substitute the milk for ricotta.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D
D
Well, thanks. Now I want pie and pancakes. I should know not to read your posts when it is already 2:30 in the afternoon and I haven't even actually had time for lunch yet. As far as pies in this Barbarian land, we may be Barbarians, but at least we know good chess pie and good pecan pie when we eat it. And, now I want chess pie and pecan pie, so thanks again.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard