Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
C
C
Is this once a month or everyday.
The real question is can you really quit and not NEED the alcohol.
I would agree once in a while is OK but higher frequency would be a red flag.

Originally Posted by Dawgs
10 beers
over
6 hours

Does not an alcoholic make, especially the watered down beer such as Busch (said with a smirk), nor is it a flag.

With all due respect, that is a poor generalization. Some people can handle drinks and others can't. Charts. Good grief, KML.

Now, I'll give you a comparison. I'm 6' and 185 and over a six hour period 10 beers are childs play. However, if I were drinking that beer I may puke out of, for lack of better term, disgust. Am I an alcoholic? Not in the least as in this past week was the first I've drank in a few months - and in a similar time period there was easily 10-15 beers plus mixed drinks. Not falling down drunk, either. There are so many factors to include activity levels, water intake, food intake, etc. Six hours is nothing.

I'll give you an even better comparison. HQ is 5'5 and around 125-135 at most...and she matched my drinking and wasn't falling down drunk. There is no way in h@ll she can be considered an alcoholic, either.

The bottom line is 10 beers over six hours is roughly 1.7 beers and hour. Food? Water? Physical activity? All factor in.

Last edited by job; 07/21/18 02:14 PM. Reason: edited a word

Me-70, D37,S36
G
G
Well, to top it all off, I think I might just be an alcoholic according to these guidelines! Well, I certainly was in Mexico for week! Drinking commenced at 10am when the pool bar opened!

I have a high tolerance. Maybe because I have trained my liver? First, I can't do 10 beers, maybe over the course of 10 hours. Second, I wouldn't touch Busch light with a 10 foot pole. Rather drink water.

I like craft beers, particularly IPA's which usually are 6%ABV and above. But I am good at 4 of them.

I can put away a bottle of wine in one night. I don't but once a month. But I can.

It boils down to is she out of control when she is drunk? is this her regular amount of drinking? is she chugging 10 beers in 2 hours? is she drunk everyday?

I don't think she is an alcoholic, but you have to consider if she is a person you like to be around when she does drink?

D
D
Quote:
Is this once a month or everyday.
The real question is can you really quit and not NEED the alcohol.
I would agree once in a while is OK but higher frequency would be a red flag.

Not even 2 or so times a month is a red flag. Stopping? Easily. But we go out and have a few. Alcoholics? Not even freaking close.

There are moments in this life when you are so confident in the rightness of your actions, that not even for a second do you consider the option that you might be wrong.
D
D
Quote:
I wouldn't touch Busch light with a 10 foot pole. Rather drink water

You said it much more eloquently than I would have...lol

There are moments in this life when you are so confident in the rightness of your actions, that not even for a second do you consider the option that you might be wrong.
D
DonH Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I greatly appreciate the comments! In the name of honesty, and I always above everything else want honesty, this is something I noticed right away. It's part of why I've named her Wild Girl here. However having you guys call it out even more makes me want to watch. I had a pit in my stomach at first. But... Me being me, is this just the excuse I needed to stay distant? Might be part of it.

Now... I really feel,I need to be fully clear here - if nothing else in fairness to WG. I NEVER said 10 beers in 6 hours. Where did that even come from? She got to my house at about 11:00 AM and we left right away for the ballpark. We went to bed after midnight. So we are talking over 12 hours here - more than double what everyone else is thinking. I also did not count. That might be weird on my part to count her drinks. So it might have been 8 in 12 hours. Of course it could have been 12 for all I know??? I'm just not that sure. I'm guessing at 10 beers in 12 hours. She also said she cannot do this with IPA and other "real" beers, which is why i did not see this before when she out drank me by 2 or 3 to 1. The thing is, EVERYONE out drinks me by at least 2:1. EVERYONE - unless they don't drink - which is me 80% of the time. She had 3 or 4 from about 2-7ish on Monday. I had nothing.

My bottom line right now... I'm concerned. I know addiction very very well. Hell, I speak professionally about it! She knows my opioid history. I know far less about alcoloisim than I do drugs but I'm well aware. Still I'm blinded a bit by fun and great sex. I won't lie.

She has tolerance. That is for sure. However tolerance does not equal alcohol addiction. I can think of three friends right off / two women and one guy / who drink more than Wild Girl. All have tolerance, which is a bio function. The two woman I'd not say are alcoholics in need of help. The man does need help and has three DUIs to prove it. These girls can drink but don't fit most of the other indicators of the disease. The guy has family history as I believe does Wild Girl.

Back to bottom line. I'm watching even more, thanks to you guys. Right now I just more see it as yet another item we are not compatible on. I rarely drink. Her behavior does not change much and certainly not for the worse. If anything I'm more concerned she is getting way more attached and invested in me than I'm looking for at this point. I'll save the whys of why I think this for another post. I'm just seeing some more signs. My eyes are wide open to it all. Still, it's only been a month. She's got plans for the next week nearly. More than anything I want to make sure I don't lead her on. I may have been dong that more than I've realized. I do not at all want to hurt her. She constantly says we are just hanging out - not even dating. Just two consenting adults, I'm way outside her normal box, she trusted me enough to end her 8 months of no sex, etc. which if is all true, I'm very good with. I even thought/think I could be her rebound from the guy she's know for near 15 years and she did really love. I just wonder if she's being honest about her feelings for me. There is more to play out. As I've been saying... To be continued. smile

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
T
T
Quote:

I can put away a bottle of wine in one night.

LOL G......will you marry me? smile

Married 14, Together 17
M: 44, W: 43, D: 8, D: 6
M: 46, W: 45. D: 10. D: 8 (CUR)
Bomb Dropped: 5/28/2017
Separation Date: 6/17/2017
Divorce Filed: 2/7/2018
Divorce Final: 4/12/2018
C
C
Originally Posted By: Joseph9
Quote:

Ginger is a catch - you would be lucky if she accepted!

Me-70, D37,S36
V
V
Originally Posted By: Cadet
Quote:

Very very lucky....

Confirmed

V

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose.
V 64, WAW

C
C
Sometimes DB can get in the way of just living... I believe DB has its place in the big picture, but sometimes in the macro good times are just that, good times. I may smoke like sparky during any given night out if the atmosphere and timing works for me, but that doesn't mean I'm a druggy, I've barely smoked enough to count on your fingers... There are times I like to drink, nascar races being top of my list but also other sports events, picnics with friends (not family) and first dates (haha, just kidding)...

But seriously, when I do decide that the time and place is somewhere I want to drink, I drink... If the vibes right, I am engaged and stay engaged without getting trashed, the drinking just adds to the experience..

Don, I for one am happy for you, if she's not even calling it dating then it seems like you're both just enjoying the moment, and that's a good thing, no DB needed.

M - 9 1/2 years
5/5/16 - Bomb drop - 3 week EA
10/31/16 - We sold house
01/10/18 - D Finalized
G
G
Originally Posted By: Vanilla
Originally Posted By: Cadet
Quote:

Very very lucky....

Confirmed

V

You guys are too sweet! I am even blushing a little.

J9, I'd marry ya in heartbeat! Good dad who can appreciate a woman who down a bottle of wine? Score!

Oh wait, I am supposed to make you chase me, haha!

Coconut, I drink on first dates! Sometimes it's all that gets me through them!

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard