Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
C
Originally Posted By: job
This thread is being bumped up for those users who are just now posting and realizing that they postings aren't appearing.

We still do not know what the issue is and we continue to ask for your patience in the matter.

Although we do know some of the things that DO NOT work.

Read the linked above thread.

Posting from a device with special characters seem to cause an issue.

Best results seem to come from posting from a desktop computer or laptop.

Me-70, D37,S36
C
C
EUREKA!!!! - Figured out how to restore posts

Originally Posted By: Baldeagle
For a little while now our users have been complaining of disappearing posts. At first I discounted the reports, but now I have an actual example:

The OP posted something, but his post is empty. What's really odd is you can click on Quick Quote (but not Quote) and it "reappears". I did that and replied, and my reply is empty as well.

I then copied and pasted the text into a reply and that is also empty.

Then I replied again and removed the quote code, but it's still empty. So then I replied and simply typed Testing. That showed up.

I'll set up a test account so you can login and see what's going on. Send me email to get the login info:

Those people having disappeared posts need to remove contractions with the symbol that makes it a contraction!!!

Me-70, D37,S36
D
D
Originally Posted By: Cadet
Those people having disappeared posts need to remove contractions with the symbol that makes it a contraction!!!

Yeah, but if you're using Word as your editor, you'll also have to remove quotes because Word uses special characters for the quotes.

Originally Posted By: doodler

The issue with the blank messages is the apostrophes and quotes in Word (maybe other characters and word processors as well). Even when you save the Word document to text, it preserves the special characters for apostrophes and quotes.

I copied and pasted my Word document into Notepad++ and changed the encoding to UTF-8 and you can see, and correct, all of the special characters.

A
A
Since UBB is a pretty commonly used bit of software I did a quick google. I believe that this link contains the info on the fix

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=995210&page=3

A mismatch between the server and forum software. It sounds exactly like our issue.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
C
C
Originally Posted By: AndrewP

A mismatch between the server and forum software. It sounds exactly like our issue.

I am sure you are correct however I have no power to fix that.

For the moment I am happy that I figured out how to restore the missing posts with the Quick Quote Box!

Me-70, D37,S36
job Offline OP
OP Offline
^

Bumping this up so that new posters are made aware that postings are still disappearing.

Please try to refrain from using contractions and special characters. I am seeing quite a few postings disappear due to contractions.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard