Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
job Offline OP
OP Offline
We are very much aware of the disappearing postings that people are typing and attempting to post on threads. This is a problem all over the forums.

Notifying the moderators and requesting that we copy and paste in your responses will not work. I, myself, have attempted it several times since Monday and even I get the blank posting. It is not a cell phone issue, because I do this type of work from my desk computer. So, I ask that you please be patient and hopefully the administrators can figure out what the problem is and fix it very soon.

We ask that you be patient and as a precaution, if you have postings that you want to have posted, please copy them into a word file and save them on your computer until this issue is resolved. As soon as we know that the problem has been identified and fixed, we will let you know so that you can post your responses.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
job Offline OP
OP Offline
^

A reminder to posters that they are working on the system.

The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
job Offline OP
OP Offline
Cadet and I have heard back from Virgina.

The issue with the postings is not going to be a quick fix. However, she has advised of this:

"In the meantime, the UBB expert who has been helpful to us over the years is suggesting that basically users are compiling their posts in a word processor, and it's converting regular apostrophes and quotes to curly quotes, which causes issues. So for now, the best advice we can give is to instruct users to NOT use a word processor to make their posts. An editor such as Notepad doesn' insert its own characters and should work better."

We continue to ask for your patience and as soon as we hear that the issue has been resolved, we will let you know.

Also, if you don't already use the "preview post button" which is right next to the "submit" button, please do so. When you use this button, you are able to change your posting, i.e., edits, etc. Once you are done, then hit the "submit" button. This will reduce your frustration w/not being to edit since the "edit" capability isn't available to us at the moment.

C
C
I am also curious that anyone who does use the Preview function - if they are getting a blank post - what are they seeinging in the preview form?
Since I have not yet gotten a blank page I have no clue.

Thanks

Me-70, D37,S36
job Offline OP
OP Offline
I used the preview function last week as a test after copying and pasting Gerda's posting in the first time around and then tried a second time and saw exactly what I got when I hit submit...nothing.

I also did a test run typing something of my own from my desk top while being logged into the forum and then hit preview button and poof! It wasn't there in the preview screen.

C
C
Originally Posted By: job
I used the preview function last week as a test after copying and pasting Gerda's posting in the first time around and then tried a second time and saw exactly what I got when I hit submit...nothing.

I also did a test run typing something of my own from my desk top while being logged into the forum and then hit preview button and poof! It wasn't there in the preview screen.

OK so with Gerda the issue was likely that it was created in word causing the blank output.

But from what you are saying - users can find out from the preview button that they will have no output(blank) from their posts.
You agree?

Me-70, D37,S36
job Offline OP
OP Offline
What Gerda posted and then forwarded to me via the notify button was actually sent through DB Forum notification system. What I found interesting is that when I reviewed the message via my email, her posting came over to me. So, if the posting was sent through the DB Forum notification system, I should have been able to take that message, copied and pasted and placed in a posting that I made. It didn't happen. So, if it's a problem with word, then it shouldn't have been accepted by the system to send to me via the notify button...?????

Yes, if they actually type a message and then preview it, they may not see the message all...just a blank screen and their signature line.

I have tried a number of things to see what will work and what won't.

job Offline OP
OP Offline
Cadet,

I just copied and pasted Gerda's posting into this thread from the notificatication email I received last week. This time, when I hit preview, the system showed me the posting and when I hit submit...poof! the posting is gone and doesn't show up...I got a blank screen again.

Last week, the system wouldn't show the copied and pasted posting in the preview and now it does.

C
C
Originally Posted By: job
What Gerda posted and then forwarded to me via the notify button was actually sent through DB Forum notification system. What I found interesting is that when I reviewed the message via my email, her posting came over to me. So, if the posting was sent through the DB Forum notification system, I should have been able to take that message, copied and pasted and placed in a posting that I made. It didn't happen. So, if it's a problem with word, then it shouldn't have been accepted by the system to send to me via the notify button...?????

So are there any apostrophes in the original message? (or any other different kinds of characters)

Me-70, D37,S36
job Offline OP
OP Offline
There were a couple of hyphens, parens and periods. Everything else looks "normal". I'm going to try deleting those things and see what happens.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard