Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Cadet Offline OP
OP Offline
C
So I am going to try to summarize all the issues we seem to have found.
I am not sure if this is complete or not but it is some progress I hope.

Originally Posted By: new2nev
Cadet, typing directly worked for me. Copying and pasting from notepad or Microsoft Word does not.

Hope that helps!

Originally Posted By: rminer
Cadet,

Copy/paste from Word is when I'm getting blank posts too. Directly typing has worked.

Originally Posted By: arsh18
I am still having this problem both on phone and with direct typing on laptop

Originally Posted By: GettinT
I only can post if very short

Originally Posted By: arshi
I am still having this problem both on phone and with direct typing on laptop

Originally Posted By: Virginia
In the meantime, the UBB expert who has been helpful to us over the years is suggesting that basically users are compiling their posts in a word processor, and it's converting regular apostrophes and quotes to curly quotes, which causes issues.
So for now, the best advice we can give is to instruct users to NOT use a word processor to make their posts.
An editor such as Notepad doesn' insert its own characters and should work better.

Originally Posted By: Btrow
Silly question, but do you all try the preview button before submitting?

Originally Posted By: AnotherStander
Cadet, I just discovered something interesting.
I tried pasting a message in here that blanked out twice in Steve's thread and sure enough it blanked out here too.
The odd thing is if I paste it in the Quick Reply window and then hit "Switch to Full Reply Screen" then when it does, the window blanks out.
If I hit "Preview Reply" it still shows up.
So I used this trick and tried to cut the message down to see if I could locate the offending element in it.
Strangely I still can't figure it out.
It seems to not like the length of the post rather than any particular piece of text in it.
I can delete the first half and it will magically display, or I can leave the first half and delete the second half and it will display.
But I can't leave the whole thing.
I will post the message in two parts so the guru can look to see if there's anything there that might point at the problem.

This applys to previous quote
It wasn't anything I wrote, it was something I quoted, and it may very well be what Virginia mentioned that's causing it.
It was the apostrophe in the word "doesn't" and "I'm".
I edited only those 3 apostrophes in his quote that was blanking out and now it's showing up fine:

Cadet, I just noticed that mtb1981 posted a blank post and in the next post he mentioned it was send from his cell phone so maybe it's notation characters on certain cell phones that are causing the problem:

Originally Posted By: Jlh
(Apparently posting from my ipad causes issues so I'm trying again from my laptop.)

Originally Posted By: doodler

The issue with the blank messages is the apostrophes and quotes in Word (maybe other characters and word processors as well). Even when you save the Word document to text, it preserves the special characters for apostrophes and quotes.

I copied and pasted my Word document into Notepad++ and changed the encoding to UTF-8 and you can see, and correct, all of the special characters.

Also the length of the posts MAY have something to do with this issue too, although I still do not understand why.

Last edited by Cadet; 04/27/18 12:54 AM. Reason: add more

Me-70, D37,S36
N
N
seems to be working now...

WW H(me): 53
W: 48
T: 27 M: 22
S: 18
Piecing since 03/2016
Saw the light in the storm
G
G
Hi, any news from UBB expert on what causes the problem? I cannot post anything longer than two sentences even with previewing the post no matter from PC or phone...

M: 39 W:39
S: 13 D:9
T: 15 M:14
ILYBINILWY: 5/2016
Separation: 1/2018
OM confirmed: 2/2018
N
N
Testing a copy and paste from Microsoft word and my laptop before I try to post elsewhere.

Me-45,H-56
DD: 18 DS: 15
M:18 T:23
H moved out:11/2017
N
N
Short post like that one line worked. Longer post did not work. Sigh.

Me-45,H-56
N
N
Copy and paste of my long post from MW and my laptop did not work. I had to type directly in the post.

Me-45,H-56
S
S
Testing a longer post which will just be nonsense to see how long before it no longer shows up. Blah blah blah
Stuff blah blah blah blah.
More stuff more stuff etc blah stuff.

M 40 W 34
Together 7 Married 2
No Kids
BD 1/18 need space
Moved out 2/18
ILYBNILWY & Asked for D 3/18
W filed for D 6/18
D final 10/18
A
A
Originally Posted By: GettinT
Hi, any news from UBB expert on what causes the problem? I cannot post anything longer than two sentences even with previewing the post no matter from PC or phone...

Originally Posted By: new2nev
Short post like that one line worked. Longer post did not work. Sigh.

Originally I thought it was length of posts too. But I finally figured out it was quotes (") and apostrophes (') that were causing the trouble. If you type a short enough message you probably don't have any quotes or apostrophes in it, but as soon as you type a longer message and they start creeping in then your message won't post.

One foolproof way to verify your post will go through is to type it in the "Quick Reply" window and then hit "Switch to Full Reply Screen". If your message is still there then you're golden, if not then back up a page and edit the punctuation out of it and try again.

Me: 60 w/ S18, D24, D27

M: 21 years; BD: 06-14-12; S: 09-10-12; D final: 03-17-14; XW:57
C
Cadet Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: arsh18
Hi Cadet, I am using a browser on my Iphone and it does not seem to work.

Try using a computer and type the words manually into the reply box

Me-70, D37,S36
C
Cadet Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I would still suggest that those having a problem try to post with a desktop computer or laptop.

Mobile devices and tablets could be translating some of the characters to cause the blank pages.

Me-70, D37,S36
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard