C
Cadet Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: arshi
I am still having this problem both on phone and with direct typing on laptop

I am sorry to hear this.

Thanks for letting me know,
the admin knows you are having issues and she is working on it.

Me-70, D37,S36
C
Cadet Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Here is part of an e-mail that I just got from Virginia.

Originally Posted By: Virginia
In the meantime, the UBB expert who has been helpful to us over the years is suggesting that basically users are compiling their posts in a word processor, and it's converting regular apostrophes and quotes to curly quotes, which causes issues.
So for now, the best advice we can give is to instruct users to NOT use a word processor to make their posts.
An editor such as Notepad doesn' insert its own characters and should work better.

So as we have been figuring out try to type your posts out.
This should give you a higher probability for success.

They are still working on the issue and their will be some other upgrades to the forum.

Me-70, D37,S36
C
Cadet Offline OP
OP Offline
C
From Surviving my post

Originally Posted By: Btrow
Silly question, but do you all try the preview button before submitting?

Great Point - I wonder what you see when you post a blank page, anyone care to share that, since I have yet to have a blank page!!

Me-70, D37,S36
A
A
Originally Posted By: Cadet
Here is part of an e-mail that I just got from Virginia.

Originally Posted By: Virginia
In the meantime, the UBB expert who has been helpful to us over the years is suggesting that basically users are compiling their posts in a word processor, and it's converting regular apostrophes and quotes to curly quotes, which causes issues.
So for now, the best advice we can give is to instruct users to NOT use a word processor to make their posts.
An editor such as Notepad doesn' insert its own characters and should work better.

So as we have been figuring out try to type your posts out.
This should give you a higher probability for success.

They are still working on the issue and their will be some other upgrades to the forum.

The info Virginia posted is sort of right. It is true that if you compile messages in a Word doc (or similar) and then copy/ paste it into a reply window it will cause problems such as strange symbols appearing, but that has always been the case and has never caused replies to just completely disappear like they are doing now. Plus I personally type everything in the reply window here. Most of my posts are going through but some do not. I cannot figure out why.

Originally Posted By: Cadet
From Surviving my post

Originally Posted By: Btrow
Silly question, but do you all try the preview button before submitting?

Great Point - I wonder what you see when you post a blank page, anyone care to share that, since I have yet to have a blank page!!

I ALWAYS use the preview window to check for typos before posting. My messages always show up in preview, even when they blank out once submitted.

Me: 60 w/ S18, D24, D27

M: 21 years; BD: 06-14-12; S: 09-10-12; D final: 03-17-14; XW:57
C
Cadet Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: AnotherStander
Most of my posts are going through but some do not.
I cannot figure out why.

That makes a few of us.

Thanks for the response, luckily the UBB guru might understand why, and some of it will involve an upgrade with UBB.

We are waiting for advice on this I believe.

Me-70, D37,S36
A
A
Cadet, I just discovered something interesting. I tried pasting a message in here that blanked out twice in Steve's thread and sure enough it blanked out here too. The odd thing is if I paste it in the Quick Reply window and then hit "Switch to Full Reply Screen" then when it does, the window blanks out. If I hit "Preview Reply" it still shows up. So I used this trick and tried to cut the message down to see if I could locate the offending element in it. Strangely I still can't figure it out. It seems to not like the length of the post rather than any particular piece of text in it. I can delete the first half and it will magically display, or I can leave the first half and delete the second half and it will display. But I can't leave the whole thing. I will post the message in two parts so the guru can look to see if there's anything there that might point at the problem.

C
Cadet Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Could you please post it here

Thanks

Me-70, D37,S36
A
A
Oh wow, OK so I figured out the problem with this particular post. It wasn't anything I wrote, it was something I quoted, and it may very well be what Virginia mentioned that's causing it. It was the apostrophe in the word "doesn't" and "I'm". I edited only those 3 apostrophes in his quote that was blanking out and now it's showing up fine:

Quote:
The TBI diagnoses was from battlefield injuries and I undergo testing through the VA to monitor it. I told her I cannot make her believe me and that I can only be honest with her. She also is very confident that i cheated on her. I told her the same thing about me being honest. She is also rewriting our marital history. I know what I have done and I know what the truth is but she doesn't. She also said that she doesn't believe anything Insay to her. I'm destroyed all over again and I am having a hard time finding the strength. The only person I need is saying all these mean things.

Now here is the really strange thing, Mike's original post above DOES show up in his thread! But if you try to quote it, it blanks out. I didn't realize there was a forum problem and copied the whole thing and pasted it into the reply window as a workaround, which LOOKED like it worked but when I posted it, it was gone. So tell the guru to go to Mike's thread here:

http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2785365#Post2785365

And look at his post dated:

04/14/18 08:17 AM

The text shows up fine in the original post that included the above, but blanks out in a reply window. If you copy the message and remove all the apostrophes and quotations then it shows up just fine, so it has something to do with those characters.

Last edited by Cadet; 04/24/18 06:24 AM. Reason: change link

C
Cadet Offline OP
OP Offline
C
OK - thanks - post # #2785365 is the offending one - Thanks

Me-70, D37,S36
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard