Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
ciluzen Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Wow. So it's been a bit, I guess. I just wanted to share a thought on forgiveness or whatever it is when you stop trying to get back at someone and start trying to detach.

My birthday was Wednesday. I was feeling all the love from everyone (even XH) as my phone was blowing up all day. My D27 and I were having dinner when she brought up a very large painting I had done. It was a school project that was supposed to describe a relationship and be a self portrait as an animal. I had painted a leopard in the center foreground with a collar. Connected to the collar was a heavy chain which was being held by a severed hand that the leopard had in its mouth. The gaze of the leopard came directly out of the picture and it's eyes were odd for a leopard...my very green eyes. It was gory, and graphic with other "parts" lying around (I was young). D27 remembered it and asked if I still had it because she remembered it and wanted it. I told her I threw it away and she asked why. I told her, as it was about an old relationship and I was in love with her dad at the time, that he had also asked why and I had said "It's not who I am anymore". I then thought for a bit. If I were to paint it now, I think ex would be attached to the chain...but the leopard would be chewing through the chain. It's much more difficult than tearing the person up, but less destructive...and you DON'T have to still be chained to a small part of them and dragging it around forever and leaving a smelly mess.

Last edited by job; 03/03/18 05:56 AM. Reason: added space between paragraphs

M-51 H-54
2D-27 and 25
M-26 yrs
Bombshell and IHS 7-29-15
He moved out 10-3-15
D filed 1-27-16
D final 10-27-16

Kindness, kindness, kindness.
job Offline
Welcome back! Happy Belated Birthday!

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
A
A
Happy Birthday CIL!

Your painting really reminded me of a section of CS Lewis' "The Great Divorce" where one character is confronted by her husband. There is imagery of a chain involved there as well - but not in the way your painting had it.

The nature of forgiveness is explored there in a fascinating way that (to me) resonates with at least my own ex and perhaps your's.

Not sure if you are interested or not, but it's an easy enough book to find online and fairly short. You may want to give it a read. It may inspire you to paint.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
B
B
Happy birthday Cil xoxoxo and much love and happy returns of the day. Painting sounds very intense... I agree with the less destructive angle now.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
C
ciluzen Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Whoa. It has been a minute since I wrote on my own page. I still check in on everyone else, but just very seldom have time for more than a quick comment here and there.

It has been a tough week in regard to this journey through MLC. I'm actually having a hard time even calling it MLC at this time. My classes and two case loads (one at the school clinic and one at my internship) are really creating a steep learning curve...and a lot of emotional response.

I have not spoken to XH since the last conversation mentioned here, when he just randomly called "because he was so happy that our daughter had finally moved her stuff out". In actuality, D27 had called him to tell him I was upset and why, as I found out later. During that conversation, he had meekly said, "do you just not want me to call you anymore?". I remember the panic at losing the connection...for both of us. So, I said no. We had then fallen into our old pattern of talking for a bit.

My birthday was at the beginning of March, followed by his and then what was the anniversary of our wedding. BIL texted me a lovely birthday message, as did his girlfriend, and FIL and I talked on the phone while I was at school. I'm glad they still think of me as family. I was surprised to get a cheerful text from XH, so I also texted him on his birthday and got a nice thank you...nothing more. Anniversary was ignored, as expected. Thank god its both my dog's birthday and St. Paddy's Day! Made it through the trifecta for the second time since the D!

So, this week. I had started speaking to a man from out of state online.I had told myself it was going to take someone special to pull me back into that whole scene with my schedule. He seemed so very much like me, and also seeemed to have many of the things XH had that drew me to him. He was planning on visiting family in the area and was also planning on moving up here. So we met up. His pictures online proved to be not recent, but he was nice enough. I had no real sparks, but thought I'd give him a chance. Went on a second date, which ended with an awkward kiss attempt from him (I think timing and an ability to read a person is important, so...red flag #1). He returned home and wrote to me a few days later about mixed signals, but communication continued. He figured out where he wanted to live and has recently moved up. We went out on our third date this past weekend...a walk, a coffee (he paid), more walk, and then he suggested we go to lunch. He explained that he did not bring debit or credit card, so I paid. Then there was the creepy moment when I allowed him to come in after our walk to look at some things we both wanted to show each other on the computer, when he started petting my hand...I had already decided that this was not going to work. Plus...I'm sensitive to smell. This might sound odd, but this wasn't right for me either...wrong pheromones.

So, things I can't deal with. People who live life in fear. I have no problem with hunters and people who like to target shoot. I'm not one, but I don't jump out of planes either. To each his own. But I don't need to collect AK-47s or anything to make me feel safer in my own home (this guy). I also don't need someone telling me I don't have enough security in my own home or who feels the need to not carry the means to pay for at least their share of lunch after asking someone out on a date because they're afraid of getting mugged while walking. He actually bought a "club" steering wheel lock right before coming to my house because he was afraid someone might steal his truck and took up two parking spaces in the back of the parking lot when we went on our walk. He was a very fearful person. We were never in a "bad" neighborhood. I am aware and careful, but this was fear...and it was not fun to be around.

There was also an element of control. I had a man who tried to control before, but it was not motivated by fearful anxiety as much as by minor anxiety (what if things don't get done or what if I need this thing and don't have it?). Fearful anxiety in animals is what causes unexpected biting...you can guess my red flags went up with this in a man.

So, this caused me to really miss XH again. Commence ruminating. Add that to a stressful schedule because I have a four day seminar and had to try to cram as many clinical clients as possible into Monday. And then...

The seminar is on a certain therapy for couples. Intense emotions. So yesterday during role plays, tears were everywhere as people identified with other people's positions and also connected with other's who they had had issues with in life. You really see why people act certain ways do to emotion and response in others. Guess what certain dynamics begin to look like in one half of a dysfunctional couple when it becomes to emotionally "unsafe"? You guessed it...MLC.

I was so disturbed by what I realized most likely happened in my own relationship that I could hardly function. As the others in my small role play group were tearfully saying, "oh, I'm going to have to go home to my (significant other) and apologize/use this/ listen better", all I could do was regret not knowing that this existed while we still were together.

I had such a strong urge to call him and ask him to meet me just to talk...and to apologize. But I'm too emotionally wrapped up in this. And it is so late. But I understand why he still reaches out periodically, and why so many things which seemed inconsistant occurred. They actually fit a pattern of behavior that now makes sense.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt the need to say it somewhere rather than my own head...and my own therapy appointment isn't until Monday...

M-51 H-54
2D-27 and 25
M-26 yrs
He moved out 10-3-15
D filed 1-27-16
D final 10-27-16

K
kml Offline
K
Naw, that guy wasn't right for you - NEXT!

But don't let that make you look nostalgically at your ex. Try to remember the bad stuff - like, um, he dumped you! He wasn't quite the man you thought he was. Don't let your fantasy improved version of him interfere with you dating.

S
S
Hi Cil, I'm sorry this guy wasn't a fit for you. Sounds like it hasn't been an easy time, but also some learning there about what current you likes - which is good!

I agree with KML about looking at your ex and feeling nostalgic. That is just a temporary emotional reaction would be my view. And when in any doubt - do nothing and let the emotions and the moment pass.

Invest in friends, work, activities, family and you. And if you choose to remain out there on the dating scene, well fair enough. You sound like an attractive, kind and intelligent woman - what's not to like my lovely??!!

Xx

T 13 M 7
Me 48 H 46
SS 15
BD 7.14 PA
D final 5.16 (H filed)

We receive & we lose, and must try to achieve gratitude & embrace with whole hearts whatever of life that remains after the losses - Dubus
C
ciluzen Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Its actually not so much looking at XH and feeling nostalgic. I am in an EFT seminar and learning about the deep wounds we cause each other due to our insecurities and assumptions based on attachment styles. Memories of things I've said to him and his own words have come flooding back to me. I owe him an apology...he was trying to make me understand how he was feeling and I shot him down over and over.

M-51 H-54
2D-27 and 25
M-26 yrs
He moved out 10-3-15
D filed 1-27-16
D final 10-27-16

B
B
{{{{{{{Cil}}}}}}}

It is never too late to own your $h!t and apologize. Never.

We all have realizations after the fact and things we'd like to make amends for. When the moment comes, you will be able to have that conversation.

As for this guy - ugh. No. just No. I think with every new situation post-D we are learning more. Even if it's reading other people's experiences. There's much to learn for all of us.

Don't beat yourself up doll. We've all changed through this process. All you can do is own your side of the street and keep it clean.

You're brilliant, gorgeous and wonderful. There will be someone who will come along at the moment they are supposed to. In the meantime, just keep moving forward.

I hope this makes sense? It's early here and again, not sleeping well. xoxoxoxo
much love as always!

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

A box full of darkness.
~ Mary Oliver
B
B
p.s. I'll let you in on a secret: there's someone i'm waiting to have this conversation with. the wounds we caused each other are decades old. i hope that i will have the opportunity to at least apologize. i think i will. i'll let you know how it goes. wish me luck! xoxoxo

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

A box full of darkness.
~ Mary Oliver
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard