Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
T
Tate Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: doodler

Maybe I don't don't understand the full extent of your situation. I thought the issue was with the BIL, not the BIL and some other guy.

The initial divorce threat was when my W was thinking of running off with the pet shop owner. After finding out about this PA, my digging uncovered a very long lasting EA with my BIL. The pet shop guy broke off their plans to be together, bu apparently my W is still pursuing him over a year later.

M 17 years
3 kids
EA start 2010
ILYBNILWY 1/2014
PA 1/2016
Bomb drop 2/2016
Renig on Bomb drop 4/2016
Living as roommates, EA continues
T
Tate Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Kaizen

To me, being in that room after dinner on Friday night is just looking to stir up trouble.

Our house has 4 bedrooms and a living room/kitchen/breakfast room all one area. My W taking up the living room relegates my kids and me to a bedroom.

M 17 years
3 kids
EA start 2010
ILYBNILWY 1/2014
PA 1/2016
Bomb drop 2/2016
T
Tate Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Not attending individual counseling.

I am looking into lawyers right now. I plan to divorce only as a last resort, but I need legal guidance on what I need to avoid doing in the meantime.

M 17 years
3 kids
EA start 2010
ILYBNILWY 1/2014
PA 1/2016
Bomb drop 2/2016
S
S
Has there been any other inappropriate behavior in the past?

It is not about what you feel should work in your M. It is about doing the work that gets the right results. Do what works!
T
Tate Offline OP
OP Offline
T
No inappropriate behavior in the past that I lnow of or can think of.

M 17 years
3 kids
EA start 2010
ILYBNILWY 1/2014
PA 1/2016
Bomb drop 2/2016
T
Tate Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I talked to a DB coach today who put a different perspective on things. Maybe it was just the ability to have an interactive conversation for fluid discussion, but it clarified my situation immensely.

The short is that I will need to massively GAL. This will have an effect all its own, or as a worst case, prepare me for moving on. The concept is that my W does not want a marriage, so I need to stop being a spouse. I can continue to live in the same house but must treat my W as a room mate...and a bad room mate at that.

We also discussed scenarios...the couch power struggle, seeing my BIL at the holidays, arguments, and my W continuing contact with OM. Take away is I need to stop acting contrary to what I think or believe...no more acting friendly to my BIL to keep peace, no more allowing my W to push me around any more than I would allow a room mate.

I will work on telling my W when I disagree with something she does or says nicely, while not getting sucked into arguments...especially in front of the kids.

M 17 years
3 kids
EA start 2010
ILYBNILWY 1/2014
PA 1/2016
Bomb drop 2/2016
D
D
Originally Posted By: Tate
The short is that I will need to massively GAL. This will have an effect all its own, or as a worst case, prepare me for moving on. The concept is that my W does not want a marriage, so I need to stop being a spouse. I can continue to live in the same house but must treat my W as a room mate...and a bad room mate at that.

Awesome! That sounds like a plan.

S
S
That's exactly what you have been advised by the board. So, how is it a different perspective?

It is not about what you feel should work in your M. It is about doing the work that gets the right results. Do what works!
T
Tate Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: sandi2
That's exactly what you have been advised by the board. So, how is it a different perspective?

Not so different..I meant to give credit to everyone here who has provided similar advice.

The new perspective was more on my part...interactively talking helped me see my relationship or lack thereof in a new light.

Im going out tonight with friends to see a one night movie screening.

M 17 years
3 kids
EA start 2010
ILYBNILWY 1/2014
PA 1/2016
Bomb drop 2/2016
M
M
Originally Posted By: Tate
Originally Posted By: Kaizen

To me, being in that room after dinner on Friday night is just looking to stir up trouble.

Our house has 4 bedrooms and a living room/kitchen/breakfast room all one area. My W taking up the living room relegates my kids and me to a bedroom.

Im glad that the DB coach helped you to redirect your thoughts and energies.

I hope that you can see now why your actions with regards to the living room on Fridays is not helping you in any way. There are plenty of places in the world for you and your son to be, but you are insistent on choosing the ONLY place where W is AND you are making life difficult for her.

I know if I had a roommate I didnt particularly care for, I wouldnt squat where they are going to sleep and insist to spend time there. Especially not if i was trying to start a new relationship with them.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard