Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
S
S
Zeus,

I found all of what you said inspirational and honest.

Do you feel this......

Quote:
Just keep walking. Acceptance will come. And what's cool is at some point fair won't really matter because you won't need validation, revenge, or anything from her. Someday when you expect that it will never happen you'll wake up truly detached and realize 'fair' doesn't trigger you anymore because that implies some type of comparison or attachment to things out of your control, whereas you'll be such a rock that you'll only care about two things: Appreciating what you have and striving to do your best from where you're at daily. And when you do those things you'll ALWAYS be ok.

Or is it an assumption/aspiration?

Thanks.

Surfer.

M46/W40/D8/S6/T20/M12/Separated 6/2016,W takes kids
Issues2009
Wpartying w/g.f's2013on
EA2013PAdeniedWleavesMBR
ImeetAP/EAhalts
VariousBDDates
MFCourse
WSpew
EAresumes I halt
Wrages
DBIng4/2016

B
B
Quote:
Just keep walking. Acceptance will come. And what's cool is at some point fair won't really matter because you won't need validation, revenge, or anything from her. Someday when you expect that it will never happen you'll wake up truly detached and realize 'fair' doesn't trigger you anymore because that implies some type of comparison or attachment to things out of your control, whereas you'll be such a rock that you'll only care about two things: Appreciating what you have and striving to do your best from where you're at daily. And when you do those things you'll ALWAYS be ok.

This is completely true. I raged for probably a year wanting an apology. I not only didn't get it, I didn't get a single word from her. And I realized that I was allowing something to consume me, even though it was no part of me anymore; and I let it go. And EVERYTHING changed for the better when I did. I remember thinking nothing would ever feel good/right again, but it did and it's wonderful.

“You only lose what you cling to.” – Buddha
B
B
Originally Posted By: Coconut
This old spouse, lmfao, doodler you are too much...

It really is ridiculous that my state doesn't have legal separations, so for me to remove my legal attachment to her and any debt she accrues I have to pay the fees and file all the paperwork... She could literally not do anything, doesn't even need to respond to the serving of papers, I would be able to end the M, but at my expense and effort, even though she's the one that gave up.

Ugh...

Hey buddy. I'm sorry. It's a bummer. I think when we are in the thick of it, there is this high energy that keeps us fueled. Then when things settle down--with or without them back--we eventually reach a place of despondency or a dull numbness.

I know you say that she is the one that gave up, and she wasn't willing to quit the fire dept. Do you think she would agree with that? I mean maybe she will come around eventually? She may just not be able to meet your terms.

Does it hurt to leave things as they are for now? There might be some relief in completing the D process, but I'm not sure it would make much difference to leave it alone for now.

Blu

“Forgiveness liberates the soul. It removes fear. That is why it is such a powerful weapon.” – Nelson Mandela
D
D
Originally Posted By: BluWave
Hey buddy. I'm sorry. It's a bummer. I think when we are in the thick of it, there is this high energy that keeps us fueled. Then when things settle down--with or without them back--we eventually reach a place of despondency or a dull numbness.

Blu,

There's something to that. I found that I so thoroughly enjoyed kicking @ss that when there was no more @ss to kick I either had to stir up trouble or find something to do to take the edge off.

Z
Z
Originally Posted By: Surfer
Zeus,

I found all of what you said inspirational and honest.

Do you feel this......

Quote:

Or is it an assumption/aspiration?

Thanks.

Surfer.

Thanks Surfer. It is absolutely how I feel the vast majority of the time. I'm human so it's not like I don't have negative emotions at times. My divorce devastated me, and while the wounds don't cause daily pain anymore, that isn't to say the loss wasn't profound and permanent. I still have to sort through some pain here and there, some sadness, feelings of betrayal, resentment, not just for the loss of my M, but for my loss of faith in M, and the loss of my belief that I'll have another relationship. Many people on these forums cling to the idea that they'll emerge wiser and healthier and find some more functional and rewarding relationship in the future, but while that's possible, it's certainly not what statistics show. Oh, we can ignore the statistics and say those apply to everyone else that isn't us, that doesn't care like we care, that doesn't put in the work we put in, that doesn't mean it like us, but I always thought that the divorce statistics applied to everyone but me in my first marriage too and that love would prevail. I've learned I'm not immune to our humanity, so a big part of my grieving was learning to accept the reality of today's world and how different it is from the love and connection I longed for all my life.

But while that may seem a little unpleasant, it's been really good for me. I really don't want to go down the path of medicating by lying to myself and promising myself some future happiness to get through today's struggles. I'd prefer to meet them day to day, and learn to be ok with my world TODAY, as it is, without needing to be in control of the future. And I am doing just that.

The key for me is the appreciation part. Truly we have a lot to be appreciative for. I've said it 100 times before but I'll say it again. My mantra has always been that if I can look at everything I've been given, but then turn to God and tell him I can't possibly be happy with what I have unless he gives me the woman and relationship I wanted when I want it that works the way I want it to...well, that is so crazy that if that's my mindset I'll never be ok. I'll always be suffering because that just isn't going to happen, and even if it did anyone with that entitled and unappreciative of an attitude would be unhappy for some other reason anyway. So this divorce has forced me to learn to focus on what I have to be appreciative of, and has forced me to decide to be happy with what I have in life. I've always been a believer of "Life isn't about getting what you want, it's about wanting what you get", but my ability to execute this has increased tremendously.

Then the part about focusing on what you can control. Namely, your focus on appreciation, and your reaction to your environment. Live in a way that makes you proud, so you like what you see when you look in the mirror. It's not easy to do your best when you're at your worst, so where normally I'd be some superman trying to show how awesome I can make my life, that's not easy when you're broken, depressed, lonely, overwhelmed, and barely able to keep up with bills and life's demands. So I've learned to be a bit compassionate with myself, and to hold myself to high standards, but accept that I am human and can only do what I can do. I've let go of some of my perfectionism and have learned to celebrate little wins. In some ways this is very similar to appreciation- appreciation is being happy with what you have instead of what you want, eliminating perfectionism is about patting yourself on the back for doing what you can rather than beating yourself up about the never closing gap between that and perfection.

In the end I am happy. I don't believe happiness is the ultimate goal, I don't think we're put here to be happy. I think that's selfish, self centered, and using happiness as a compass to steer your life with the entitled attitude that says you deserve to be happy is part of why divorce is so rampant. But since I've shifted my focus to serving my family, living in a way that agrees with my understanding of 'God's Will' for lack of better terms, and being appreciative for being given a life to live, well, the result is that I am indeed at peace, and find myself enjoying myself. A good Netflix show (or a bad one). A game of chess. A pool tournament. A book with my kids. Music. A good meal. Just cruising in my car on my way to work. There are so many things I enjoy, every day. I guess that means I no longer live in a state of misery where peace is the exception, I must be pretty normalized now because so many things fill me up.

I also think what I went through was so difficult I am feeling artificially high just for having it behind me. It's like I'm walking on air most days. Good lord, it was a hard road. But if you work hard on these things it pays off, and it isn't hard forever.

OK, long post, nothing too pointed I was trying to get across, just a nice virtual chat with a fellow DBer. Hang in Surfer and good to hear from you.

Me:38 XW:38
T:11 years M:8 years
Kids: S14, D11, D7
BD/Move out day: 6/17/14, D final Dec 15
B
B
This plays into a recent conversation we had about the difference between happiness and "joy".

One is fleeting, temporary, silly, goofy, and momentary. The other is a deeply rooted feeling that continues through surface emotions, circumstances, etc...

Good observations!

“You only lose what you cling to.” – Buddha
S
S
Hi Zues, sometimes you write things that really resonate with me. Thank you for this little nugget. I adapted it and have put it in my phone -

Appreciate what you have
And strive to do your best from wherever you are at daily.

I do believe that if we all follow that advice, we are on the right path.

Xx

T 13 M 7
Me 48 H 46
SS 15
BD 7.14 PA
D final 5.16 (H filed)

We receive & we lose, and must try to achieve gratitude & embrace with whole hearts whatever of life that remains after the losses - Dubus
S
S
Thank you Zeus.

A very positive outlook will always serve you well. I do think this is part of the problem we all suffer. I can't imagine any LBS looking back and seeing a spouse that was optimistic. Perhaps you are right 'deserving happiness' vs 'being happy with what you have' is an interesting point. I am going to try to focus on this.

Surfer.

M46/W40/D8/S6/T20/M12/Separated 6/2016,W takes kids
Issues2009
Wpartying w/g.f's2013on
EA2013PAdeniedWleavesMBR
ImeetAP/EAhalts
VariousBDDates
MFCourse
WSpew
EAresumes I halt
Wrages
DBIng4/2016

C
Coconut Offline OP
OP Offline
C
So my in-laws want to meet up on my birthday for lunch or dinner. I've always been very close to them, and consider them friends. I've met up with them twice since my WW and I have S, and they mean a lot to me and we always have a good time when we get together.

I don't have anything to do with WW anymore, I communicate directly with my step son and although we work together, I only see her maybe once every two weeks. I am separating my life from hers and doing so feels right.

I want to see my in-laws for my birthday, I enjoy spending time with them and want to, but it just seems wrong, although I don't know why. I'm questioning going to see them, I'm questioning if I should just take this birthday away from them and see what next year brings. I don't know, I just don't know.

I've already accepted their invite, I've already agreed to meet with them, but I still have this nagging feeling that I'm not sure I should go, that things would be better without them being around. We don't talk about her, but she is the piece that binds us, so although unspoken, she's not entirely gone.

What do you think, should I go as I want to, or cancel as my inner self is thinking would be best?

M - 9 1/2 years
5/5/16 - Bomb drop - 3 week EA
10/31/16 - We sold house
01/10/18 - D Finalized
H
H
Any updates Coconut?

W:42 M:48
T:9 yrs M:1yr
BD: Feb 2016
EA Confirmed: Feb 2016/PA July 2016
D: Feb 2017