Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
Need help fast! Confused, scared, and hurting.
I tried to start a new thread but it is not working.

I just discovered the book and this site yesterday. Planning on buying the book today or tomorrow.

Wife walked out Tues, Aug 5th after I found a picture of another man's penis and her reply of what she would like to do with it, on an IM app I am unfamiliar with. I confronted her about it the night before and she left the next morning.
We have 2 small children, girls, that are staying with me and she seldom sees.
We had been able to speak well and were close to reconciliation until about 3-4 weeks ago when it started to unravel and she said she wanted a divorce Thur, Sept 11.
I know have been doing everything wrong and I desperately need advice.
Please help.

Me 47 - W 35
M 9 - T 10
2 Daughters - 7 & 9
Discovery of EA- 8/4/14
S - 8/5/15
D mentioned - 9/11/14
R & Piecing - 3/17/15
Regard one another as more important than yourselves.
- Philippians 2:3
K
K
Hello, it pains me to be here in this forum. I read this:
"Another necessary ingredient for rebuilding a marriage involves the willingness of unfaithful spouses to demonstrate sincere regret and remorse. You can't apologize often enough. You need to tell your spouse that you will never commit adultery again. Although, since you are working diligently to repair your relationship, you might think your intentions to be monogamous are obvious, they aren't. Tell your spouse of your plans to take your commitment to your marriage to heart. This will be particularly important during the early stages of recovery when mistrust is rampant."

My wife who had an affair in march and found out not to long ago, is not willing to apologize and ask for forgiveness. She's not willing to help me the one who she betrayed sadly. She said it 1 or 2 times in the first few days, and mostly by text. It's sad. I love my wife dearly! I love my wife too much, but she's not about sharing feelings with me, kisses or even as little as saying "I love you". I will post my situation soon.

M
M
As the unfaithful spouse, you might feel tremendous remorse and guilt, and prefer avoiding the details entirely, but experience shows that this is a formula for disaster. Sweeping negative feelings and lingering questions under the carpet makes genuine healing unlikely.

This is totally lacking. No remorse, no working to building trust, no willingness to accept wrong doing.....how can I move past this?

C
C
Originally Posted By: Mrembo
This is totally lacking. No remorse, no working to building trust, no willingness to accept wrong doing.....how can I move past this?

It does not sound as if you are ready to just yet.
Please post more details of your story so we can help you.
I would suggest you post on newcomers as you will get more responses there.

Me-70, D37,S36
OP Offline
"I didn't mean to have an affair, it just happened."
by Michele Weiner-Davis

Having been a therapist for a very long time has afforded me the opportunity to meet people from all walks of life with varied opinions, personalities, strengths and idiosyncratic quirks. I’m never bored, rarely shocked and almost never angered. But take note, the operative word here is “almost.”

I have lost count of the number of times when a spouse who’s been unfaithful says, “I wasn’t looking for an affair, it just happened.” It’s as if these people were simply going about their day, minding their own business and alas, they suddenly find themselves stark naked in hotel rooms having breathless, passionate sex as if there’s no tomorrow. It just happens? Uh, I don’t think so.

Affairs aren’t spontaneous; they require careful planning and decision-making. Often, the choices people make that pave the way for an affair- dinner with a co-worker, meeting an old boyfriend or girlfriend for a drink after work just to catch up, having lunch with an attractive, single neighbor on a regular basis or sending a lengthy Christmas update to a long lost heart throb- can seem relatively innocent. But one dinner date or late night conversation often leads to another and another and another. The talk becomes more personal. Confessions of marital dissatisfaction bubble to the surface prompting empathy and support. People tell themselves, “I just needed someone to talk to. I wanted input from someone of the opposite sex.” But you don’t need a degree in psychology to know that the implicit message in these conversations is, “I’m unhappily married. Want to fool around?” You can tell yourself that you’re not doing anything wrong, but the truth is, it’s a sheer, slippery slope.

Then there is alcohol, the inhibition-buster that “made me do it.” And while it’s true that many a bad decision has been made while under the influence, unless like teenagers in Cancun on spring break, people’s mouths are forced open and alcohol poured down their throats, having a drink is a decision. Having two drinks is two decisions. You can do the math on the rest of the story.

What about bad marriages? Don’t they justify being unfaithful? After all, life is short. We only have one go around, right? What’s always amazed me is how differently people react to similar circumstances. I’ve met people whose spouses refused to have sex for years and although that made them miserable, they simply could not cheat. I’ve met other people who, when their relationships hit predictable bumps in the road, rather than work things out, they sought comfort in the arms of strangers. Unhappy marriages don’t cause infidelity. Being unfaithful causes infidelity.

Nevertheless, life is short and feeling lonely in marriage is no way to live. But dulling one’s pain through the instant gratification of hot sex or emotional closeness with someone who doesn’t argue with you about bills, children or the in-laws isn’t an effective or lasting way to fix what’s wrong. In fact, infidelity complicates life enormously for everyone involved, a fact that should not be minimized when planning the next “just friends” Starbucks break.

People who say their affairs just happened aren’t necessarily intentionally trying to cover their asses or justify their behavior; they often truly believe what they’re saying. They simply lack insight or awareness of the ways in which their actions, however subtle, have created their current predicaments. But in the same way that affairs don’t just happen, neither does healing from betrayal. Unless those who have strayed look inward and take personal responsible for the paths their lives have taken, they will not be able to get back on track when they’ve gotten derailed. In my view, being unconscious just doesn’t cut it.

Michele Weiner-Davis
The Divorce Busting Center

Transform your marriage with a private 2-day intensive with Michele Weiner-Davis. http://www.themarriageintensive.com
Email michele@divorcebusting.com
OP Offline

Michele Weiner-Davis

Transform your marriage with a private 2-day intensive with Michele Weiner-Davis. http://www.themarriageintensive.com
OP Offline

Michele Weiner-Davis

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard