Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2614827 10/12/15 06:56 PM
I
ILYNOT Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Me and W have been separated since May in may I gave the CC back to her since it was under her account, she has racked up $6K, I have called the CC company in may and they said since she was the primary account holder that I couldn't do anything.

So Ive been asking her to pay it since its affecting my credit, she hasn't.

Today I called the CC company and spoke to a manager and she was able to cancel it but now we both have to pay the balance and its still going to affect my credit..

Any suggestions moving forward?

M35 W33 S14 D12
M14
ILYBNILWY 07/14
BD 7/14
S 5/15

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"
T
tl2 Offline
T
I would speak to a L as well as a financial planner/manager/expert.

I would ask her not to open any more joint accounts and I would ask the lawyer what to do about that.

If it's joint and you're still married, I would at least make the minimum payments myself since you may need good credit at some point along the way. From what I understand, it could take a long time for a court to make everything right with credit bureaus...if that's even possible these days.

I
ILYNOT Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Well she cant open a joint account since they would nee my signature and authorization.

My question was as far as this open debt now, since the $6K was all her debt.

How do I prove the debt was only hers?

M35 W33 S14 D12
M14
ILYBNILWY 07/14
BD 7/14
S 5/15

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"
T
tl2 Offline
T
Don't know. May not matter. Need to check with a L.

E
E
Good morning brother,

That one is tough. My understanding is that unless you have a legal separation agreement in place, stating when you both decided to separate it would be difficult to prove what debt is hers and which is yours.

Definitely bring that up to your L. I would hope your W would be responsible enough to understand that you shouldn't be liable for that additional spending.

Good luck brother.

M: 34 W: 33
S: 7
S: 14 months
BD: 6/2015
Separation: 6/2015
Back and Forth between Home and Moms
H
H
In the UK, anything that is purchased jointly (i.e. for the house etc.)makes you both liable. If your W has racked up debts for her own purposes, this would be her responsibility. I don't know how it works in the US.

I think you've taken the right step to get it cancelled. If this was set up with out your knowledge, that's fraud. Again, that's up to you how you deal with it, but I think when it starts to get to things financial, it's time to go legal.

M 45 W 52
SD22 S9 D8
BD 6 April 2015
Not living together 4 Dec 2015

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard