Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2601208 08/24/15 08:41 PM
U
OP Offline
U
This weekend I was driving home with a friend. Suddenly traffic came to a complete stop. It was late at night and after awhile, people started getting out of their cars and talking to each other.

We checked online to find out a big accident had just occurred in front of us. The atmosphere changed. It grew quiet. There was whispering and the sounds of babies crying and kids getting restless.

People started getting angry as time went on. Ambulances were trying to get through and then a helicopter was looking for somewhere to land.

I was praying for whoever was involved. We then learned it was a car and a tractor trailer and knew it was bad.

Cars began driving on the shoulder, blocking other service vehicles trying to get to the accident. People began yelling at each other.

I was taking it all in. Wondering when we had become so callous and just quietly continued to pray.

After about two hours, traffic began to move. I went to start my car and it was dead. We asked several people for help and they ignored us. I had seen some really bad things...people behaving in ways I couldn't quite believe, but, one special young man offered to help. He was with a friend and they were wonderful and got us on our way. I was so thankful.

And then...we passed the accident scene. I will not ever forget it. The car was pushed up a hill. It didn't even look like a car any longer. I don't think I could even explain it. Two trees were where the driver's seat and back seat were. There was blood everywhere. I couldn't quite get my mind around what I saw and I started to cry...great, big, gulping sobs as the realizations hit. Someone's parent or child was driving home and was now dead. There was no way they could have survived it.

It has affected me to my core and made me realize how precious life is.

It reminded me that most of the stuff we carry around holds no real weight. The little things that we allow to affect us...aren't important.

We have to let go of the things that weigh us down and stop us from leading the lives we should be and embrace the people who fill us up. We should forgive and let others know how we feel. We should do the best we can whenever we can because what really matters are the people we care about and the way we choose to live our lives. What matters is who we are and what we do and how we love. In the end, it’s really all we have.

So, do your best. Find your way in whatever way you can. Live your life and love with all you have and really believe that you are right where you are supposed to be and that you will be ok. Remember what's important and find a way to keep remembering it. We only get this one life...never forget to really live it. <3

J
J
Thank you uRworthy..just what I needed to read this morning! JellyB XXX

C
C
Excellent post uR and sound advice

We are all so caught up in our own mess we often lose sight of the bigger picture, what really matters.

Thank you

M: 48
W: 47
M16 T26-S8
BD Sept13

M
M
I'm sorry you had to see that, bad accidents also greatly get to me. Thank you for the reminder of what is truly important in life.

Me 48 H 46 S 11
M 2004
BD 8/13
H moved out 2/15
-live in the present, enjoy the beauty around and within you, explore your new future-
G
G
Amen, Sista!

I am usually the first to get all aggregated when there something is causing traffic. Then I tell myself to chill, because it could be an accident, and I'm lucky I'm alive.

I attended a wake of our critical care educator from the hospital. She was an amazing beloved woman who died of cancer at the young age of 56. It really made me think and all seeing the crowds of people who attended and loved and respected this woman truly humbled me. She devoted her life to her HUGE family and to helping the sick and to educating those who helped the sick.

Puts everything. In perspective. This world is so much bigger than me. And by bettering myself and dropping the stupid stuff that weighs me down, maybe, just maybe I can make the rest of the world a little better place.

Like you do:)

U
OP Offline
U
Thanks guys.

Ginger, you already make the world a better place..love you, my friend. smile

W
W
uR,

My beautiful crime partner....beautifully articulated and expressed. Life can be fragile, yet precious. It seems that we are disconnected from each other on a daily basis until tragedy strikes thus forcing the community to unite in love and service.

The other day, I just finished reading Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul for the first time and some of the stories in the book really moved me to tears. They touched and moved me deeply. For me, I appreciate stepping back from the daily grind and listen to my soul's need for nourishment--uplifting stories that showcases the goodness in human nature.

I was at back to school night last week. I was feeling sad that I would be seeing all the other Dads and I'd be the abandoned single mom. A real pity party in my head.

I glumly entered the lobby and one of my daughter's friends was working the event. Such a sweet kid and well thought of by her peers and all the parents. She was working back to school night but she would not be seeing her mom in the hallways. It was less than 3 years ago that her mother died one afternoon of a sudden brain aneurysm. Wow what a wake up call!

It is hard to rise above each and every day but we must try. The beauty is in choosing to make the effort.

M:25 years at BD w/ 2 daughters
BD: 5/14
Separated 6/14 - H moved cross country w/OW
D Final 9/17

“I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.”
&#8213; Maya Angelou

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard