Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2570683 05/22/15 02:27 PM
B
OP Offline
B
In honor of the late great Karen Carpenter AND the beginning of a new future starting this weekend, I've started this new thread.

On Saturday my fiancé and her kids move into my house. We have both done a lot of work in preparing for this, both organizationally, emotionally, and financially. As the date has inched closer her kids have become much more comfortably and even somewhat excited about the move. My daughters are as well. Of course the two people most excited about it are the two of us! :-)

We both know there will obviously still be some adjusting for awhile as we get used to all living under the same roof. However the house is really not going to be crowded, as it will be very little time where all of the kids will be staying at the house together and they never will all four be sleeping there at the same time. Her kids are with her every other week and mine are with me on Mon-Tue and every other Fri-Sun. My D18 sleeps at her mom's house full time now as she no longer likes the managing two different bedrooms. fiancé's S15 will be in Seattle visiting grandparents for most of the Summer beginning in late June and won't be back until late August. My D18 returns to college in August and fiancé's D18 leaves for college in September.

Anyway, it should be a busy weekend with the move and celebrating my D16 turning 17 on Saturday as well.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend everyone!

BA

B
OP Offline
B
Ugh - wish I could edit. I do have a better command of the English language then what appears written above. eliminate the "both" and change "comfortably" to "comfortable" along with a couple of other minor edits I won't get into. I need to read what my fat fingers are trying to type before I submit from now on! crazy

W
W
May the moving van be with you! Good luck BA.

Divorced February 27, 2012.

"Only by love is love awakened".~ Ellen G White
S
S
Wishing you and your blended family much happiness. Sounds like you've planned a lot & are prepared for some of the challenges you may encounter. Remember to keep your sense of humor and have fun!

Barb

K
K
I would be there helping except that I am here. Wishing you many blessings and happy years together. Cheers to new beginnings.

kat

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

This weekend went really well and everyone had their first night in the house on Saturday. I made up welcome fliers for each of her kids and posted them on the door of their new rooms which they appreciated. By the time the weekend ended and it was time for them to go to their Dad's house they had comfortably assimilated into the house - in fact her D18 asked to stay one more night so that she could spend a day applying for jobs in the area.

The house is still in a bit of disarray as we find a spot for everything - particularly for my fiancé's clothes! :-) I spent the last month or so purging and making what I thought was plenty of room in the walk-in closet and dresser drawers, however it appears I underestimated her needs! laugh

BA

W
W
I hope you made room for her shoe collection lol. Good start, glad it went well smile

Divorced February 27, 2012.

"Only by love is love awakened".~ Ellen G White
Quote:
I spent the last month or so purging and making what I thought was plenty of room in the walk-in closet and dresser drawers, however it appears I underestimated her needs! laugh

Ha ha!!! As if you were going to win that round, BA! I'm no clothes hound, but I can tell you that my walk in closet would have a hard, hard time accepting the wardrobe of an additional person - even with hard core purging!

Seriously, I wish you well in your new household routine. Somehow, I know you and Carol will make it work. smile

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
B
OP Offline
B
Well seeing it's been almost 6 years since I shared a home with an adult female I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I underestimated the amount of space she would need. Plus my ex was in the military so she didn't have a large collection of business/work clothes.

However, I'm more than happy to make as much room as is needed for "Carol's" clothing wardrobe and yes Wii, that includes her shoes too!

BA

S
S
It's all worth it! In our shared home we each have a small walkin closet. I'm aghast - he is in his glory because in my previous house I had 2 humongous walkins while in his Toronto house he has one mouse size closet. I ended up buying a huge floor to ceiling armoire to help myself. So far it's working ok.

Enjoy your new home together.

Barb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard