Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
LoisB #2538543 02/14/15 11:40 PM
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm done posting for the night.

I'm going to work on the newspaper.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
LoisB #2538548 02/14/15 11:52 PM
job Offline
Heather,
If you want to actually talk to someone, I'll be happy to give you a call tomorrow.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
job #2538550 02/14/15 11:54 PM
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
ok

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

LoisB #2538605 02/15/15 06:05 AM
G
G
Knowing you have gotta and starting on that path your streets ahead, of most average folks heather.

Most average folks fail to turn up. They just fail and don't question when where what and how.

M 46 h54
Both married before
T 11y
Bd 2/14 I must see where ow leads!
Ms 18 hs 26
LoisB #2538707 02/15/15 07:22 PM
M
M
Heather,
Just a thought but the school that both my D's went to K-8 was a small, private school. The largest class that either had was 11 kids. This base has been such a help to them both. My D15 is now in public school and is getting straight "A's" and even she knows that a big reason is the excellent ed. she got at this school. They also had financial asst. for people who couldn't afford to pay. This type of school may be exactly what your D needs. The kids all knew one another so well there was much less social anxiety. They were more like brothers and sisters since there were so few of them and they spent so much time together. You may want to look for a school like this in your area as an alternative to a large, public school. At least for her middle school years as a transition time until HS.

Like you I don't have any family except my kids anywhere near me. My W moved us 1600 miles to be closer to HER family. I now have no one while she has her family around to help. I have been so busy trying to find work and just get to a point where I can pay my bills every month, I have been isolated (except for the weeks I have my D15 which I love). Once I get really into my new job, once I get a few paychecks (my first paycheck isn't until next Friday!) and have caught up on my bills, I know that I need to start expanding my world. I need to start getting to know more people, having a life that is more than just work and worry. Like you, my new work entails that I get out into the public, get involved in the local community. To make our jobs work, both of us have to be able to make the time to become members of our communities. You will find it easier to write about what is going on in your area if it is a part of your and your D's life. I know it's hard and I'm not minimizing that. Believe me, I need to do more myself. But I really think that part of the problem you are having with the paper is that you are new to the area and don't yet know what people in that area are the most interested in reading about. Every small community has it's own "culture" and you being new to the area and having to deal with all you've been, you haven't had a chance to really learn what that is. I really think that once you get past this part, the part where you learn just exactly what the publishers want, you will be able to become more comfortable getting each issue out. I'm actually surprised that they expected you to just know what they expected from day one. Maybe asking the editors to show you which past issues they were the most proud of and why could help you get an idea of what THEY think the "perfect" issue looks like? The weekly you were with in the past may have been in an area where the local's were really interested in, say, local politics. While in this area they may be more into local HS sports. This is something that you need to learn as you go along.

I'm not going to try and tell what is best for your D. I can't imagine how hard it was watching them carry her into school against her will screaming for help...that is a nightmare! I will say this, we all here have to find new ways to deal now that our lives have forever been changed because of our S's MLC. What we were doing in the past is longer tenable because we can't count on help from anyone, especially our Ex's. I know that your D doesn't deal well with change but because her father has decided that his happiness is more important than what is best for her you have to find new methods that will work. It stinks and isn't "right' but it is a fact. You CAN do this, Heather. It's just a matter of finding new ways that work.

Matt165 #2538997 02/16/15 07:52 PM
W
W
Matt,

You may not realize this, but private schools do not need to comply with IDEA or any fed regulations when it comes to students with disabilities. They have a perfect right to do so as they do not receive any federal funds.

Public schools are required to comply with IDEA and develop IEP for students with disabilities because those schools receive federal funds.

So that option is probably out of the window for Heather's D12 due to her Aspergers.

Heather,

I hope you had a good talk with Job yesterday and know the path forward quite clearly. I am rooting for you, baby!

Wonka #2539946 02/19/15 12:39 AM
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I need to check in...

The editor that hired me gave me compliments on this week's issue. Said it was very readable and well done and a good read.

At the same time, I learned that other editor has talked to the paginater and layout person about me and asked they check in with him. The paginater was told to forward all emails from me to her and vice versa to the editor who is training me.

On the other hand, I really, really like the editor who is training me. He is very relaxed and organized and encouraging. He has been a one-man-band on a newspaper before and really gets how it is.

On the other hand, someone stopped the office phone calls from being forwarded to my cell phone...even though the nice editor suggested my doing that...I have to switch my Ohio phone number to a NY one...a bit hesitant to do this when my future is unclear.

I've grown a lot in the last few days. I know that sounds strange, but it's true.

LoisB #2539948 02/19/15 12:48 AM
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Oh my God, I just realized I forwarded an email to my atty where I called him the World's Suckiest Atty. Shid. And, he read it.

Ok. My pressure cooker of a life needs to let up a bit.

LoisB #2539952 02/19/15 12:59 AM
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Well, I guess he knows how I feel now! Hmmmm...

I will need to clarify in the morn. I think I will just be honest and say that I'm so frustrated about support and no spousal and...

LoisB #2540060 02/19/15 12:08 PM
job Offline
Heather,
I'm glad you checked in and you received some compliments this week. Sometimes it helps to work w/someone, especially if you like this person. I think this will be a win-win situation as long as you keep your mind open for suggestions, etc.

It sounds like the editors are now sitting up and taking notice of things and they want to see where the problems are and start working on them. It's evident, they don't want to see you go. They see potential!

As for the phone calls being stopped. Maybe it's because the bill is getting pretty high. Whatever the reason, you'll need to switch your ohio phone number to a NY one. It does make sense to do so. You can always switch it back if you should decide to ever move again.

As for the email to your lawyer...priceless! It certainly tells him how you feel about the work he's done for you. Sometimes things happen for a reason and maybe this will set him straight and get the ball rolling on to find answers to your questions. Don't sweat it! It's the truth and I certainly wouldn't go into a lot of detail as to what happened for him to receive that email.

Continue moving forward.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard