Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2502827 11/01/14 05:58 AM
W
OP Offline
W
So it has been a bit since I posted. I check in now and then. Life seems to go on.

I rented out part of my house, the guest house first, then two rooms. I'm not sure if I am ahead or behind on all that. The first young ladies who stayed with me were delightful, polite, cleaned up. Then the next group came in, and talked me into letting 4 28-30 year old gals stay with me. They were nice as individuals, but were pretty terrible to share a house with. They made a 5 month lease with me. Then found out they all had a long deployment. So I let them out of their lease 2 months early, and just figured I would tighten my belt. They actually left yesterday.

Then it seemed thing were working out, a new woman at work wanted to move in, take the 2 bedrooms and then when the guest house became available take that for her son. She moved in early, I cleared out my office and her son was sleeping in the formal living room on the couch. Yes her 31 year old son. And it was fine while I was gone on a trip, the minute I got back it all went to hell. Maybe because I was there to say "What in the heck is wrong with all you people?" So in a nutshell my crazy magnet continues to work just fine.

So my work friend and her son were told to find another place. They went back to a hotel. Leaving me a huge mess to clean up. And then a few days later she kicked her son out. Mind you she brought him here with her from the East Coast. He wasn't working, appears to be nothing but a bum, and had no money. Then a few days later my house was robbed.

Mostly the stuff taken belonged to the 4 girls. And my checks from two accounts and my passport. So the girls are mad at me. I hadn't really worried about their stuff because I have lived here for over 10 years and we have never had a problem.

The guy in the guest house had been acting pretty squirrely, I was waiting for his lease to end 31 Dec to tell him to go. He has paid late, taken beer from my bar fridge many times (Like about 50 beers, which he promised to replace) He even came in the house while I was on my trip and told the girls it was his beer and took it in front of them. And made a huge mess on the carport, extra broken vehicle for 6 months, overnight guests who appeared to be to drunk/high to drive and more.

So much to my surprise the guest house tenant gave me one days notice he was moving out. And I took a day off work because I felt like he was not to be trusted at that point. So he sends me texts that sounded like we were a couple breaking up. (Lets part gently....) He is a f'ing moron. We are going to part in small claims court where he will find out that my house getting robbed does not breach his rental contract.

He even tried to explain to me that he will show he has given me $20,000. (He bought the truck from my X and I, he made the check out to me, I deposited it and paid my X) I kind of hope he brings that up in court. That way the judge will know he has a paid off asset for me to put a lien on for the $3,000 he owes on his lease. I am working on getting it rented out again, but don't want to rush into another mistake.

For sure I am keeping his deposit. He did leave the place clean, but didn't return both keys, only one.

So I am sitting here in my empty house, not really unhappy, but my savings are taking a dent. And I'm back to just wondering if maybe keeping this house is crazy!

On the plus side I did get that great promotion at work. And if I keep working hard I could get another promotion in a year or two. Meanwhile, I will have to cut the gardner back to only every other week, and I will probably go on a craigslist selling spree. That always makes me feel better.

Happy Halloween All!

Me 57 XH 58 Sons age 32 & 27 M:32
D final 9/12
Bought 10 Acres and Living the Dream!
K
kml Offline
K
Is there by any chance a medical school or a teaching hospital nearby? Med students and residents make great roommates, they work and study all the time a d are generally responsible types to begin with.

W
OP Offline
W
Hi KML! Yes, I will put a notice on the bulletin board at the hospital. But the 4 girls were doctorate candidates forensic students and to call them self-entitled and arrogant would be the nice things I could say.

I decided to convert the two bedroom area into a one bedroom apartment. It has an odd L-shaped bedroom that will make an amazing kitchen/living room. But could still be used as a bedroom. I'm allowing myself a few weeks to get that done, and have vowed to NEVER share my kitchen again. I could write a book on all the crazy stuff done by my roommates.

I'm starting to think hard about my long term plans. Meanwhile my daughter-in-laws sister is interested in renting my guest house. We are working out the details. So the plan of just keeping breathing and knowing that everything will work out seems to be working for me. Time will tell.

I do love my job and the people I work with. So I stay here in Hawaii. For now....

D final 9/12
S
S
Hey Wen!

I can totally relate to being a Landlord after my recent venture into the cottage business. Very firm rules and boundaries with an airtight contract and decent damage deposit is absolutely necessary. Knowing you - can I suggest that you are just so nice and giving that people are taking advantage of that (and you).

The DIL's sister might be a good option but still state your "Rules" up front and be very clear.

Ashley would come and live with you in a heartbeat! She still talks about your home and you constantly. You made a great impression with her.

As for the house… Well - that was what I wanted, felt I needed from the divorce and I paid a big price for it. I was going to maintain the status quo. A few years post D and it did not matter so much. I had dug in my heels for a material possession. It was the dream house but the dream had died.

I have sold my homes twice since our split. I have not looked back. I reached a point where I could be grateful for having had the opportunity to live there but it was now the dream for someone else.

Wish we could live there. Make it a vacation home. Pay you year round but only show up for a month a year. LOL!

Barb

W
OP Offline
W
Nice to hear from you Barb!

I could time-share this place out in a heartbeat.......

I was following along a little on your cottage business. I work long hours and seem to be constantly cleaning, fixing shuffling while at home. Yes, I need to downsize!

Today I fixed my lawnmower, got rocks delivered for another project, had my solar water heating system preventative maintenance done and am headed out to buy a bunch of other parts for other repairs. I am turning into Ms. Fix It! Oh well!

I also have about 20 things to put on craigslist tonight. I need to de-clutter this place.....too much stuff!

I was missing my old life and promptly DB'ed myself..... Nothing is permanent, It isn't my job to tell someone else who to love, Nor my job to judge their behavior, and when all is said and done I am only responsible for myself.

Aloha Good people!

D final 9/12
R
R
Yikes. Was thinking of renting 2 bedroom to students. I have a university not too far. I dont know now

M 53
D 20
Separated 6/22/11 moved out 10/24
Together 26 yrs
Married 16
W Filed for D 7/21/11
Served 9/6/11
D final 8/28/12

“Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.”

John Wooden

W
OP Offline
W
I say make LOT of rules! Like no dishes left out, clean or dirty. Make them provide their own bedding and towels unless you have crappy stuff that you don't mind being ruined. If they share the kitchen explain or post notes about how to use any special pans. Like the special Teflon ones that don't like being forked.

Also where they can sit, if not in their rooms, when lights out is for the living areas, who/how often guests are allowed, if they are allowed to touch your condiments, if they are allowed to steal fruit from the neighbors tree and then complain if the neighbor complains, because he has plenty of fruit and he can't possibly eat it all....

I can't make this stuff up!

D final 9/12
W
OP Offline
W
Hello Friends! I have been working like crazy, not spending much time on the internet. I have been trying to solve my own problems, and have been doing a lot of thinking. And I came up with one question for your consideration:

When one friend persistently gives very last minute invitations for activities that seem to have been planned for a long time I have decided to just not attend. She also makes plans with me, then cancels them at the last minute, completely leaving me hanging. She seems to be having more trouble accepting my divorce than I have.

She keeps telling me I don't need to date, because she wouldn't! I tell her it is easy for her to say that from the comfort of her 35 year marriage. I am fine being on my own, but will date, and enjoy my life to the fullest.

Anyway, I hope you all are having a fine weekend. I am watching a bad movie on HBO called "The Purge"......

D final 9/12
W
OP Offline
W
I got all my boxes that were stacked/crammed into my dining room all moved to where they go. Oh my! I counted more than 150 boxes. I also got all the furniture that my helpful but not always fully capable of understanding English helper moved all over the place put back into place.

So I am trying to sort all the stuff. Which is fraught with emotional time bombs. So much of my X's stuff is all mixed in. I don't know what he wants, am tired of trying to figure it all out. So I am just going to gather it all into a box put his name on it. I don't think he is as attached to the little things as I am. I haven't even begun to sort photos.

And then I keep finding piles of birthday, anniversary and other random cards. I tell myself not to read them, but I do! (UGH!) So I just keep shoving them all into a box, and I will figure out what to do with them later. But it reinforces the MLC theory...... Because each card had a thoughtful thing written in addition to the part printed on the card.

I have friends coming for Thanksgiving. So I am using that to force myself to just get it all cleaned up. Darn my pack rat ways!

Aloha!

D final 9/12
L
L
OMG, just catching up on your story.
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubb...p;what=showflat
Never a dull moment, huh?

((( )))

Me 57/H 58
M36 S 2.5yrs R 12/13

Let me give up the need to know why things happen as they do.
I will never know and constant wondering is constant suffering.
Caroline Myss
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard