Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
M
M
Old Dog, glad you had a great weekend. And to think we had to poke you into GAL. smile Now when are you getting that pedicure???

I'm not reading Pollyanna. But I have been happy and showing it.

Me42, H40
D12, S8, S7
A revealed: 7/13
Sep 4/14; Agreed to D 1/15

She believed she could, so she did.
O
Old Dog Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Here's something I been pondering.

My phone is so old. It's an iPhone 3g: not even a 3GS - they brought that out a month after I got it it. Doh!

Anyway, I've been thinking I should get a new one. I've been thinking this for so long that the iPhone 5(S) has come and gone so it'll be an iPhone 6. I am a huge Apple fan so any other make is out of the question (please don't rationalise, it just is).

I'm naturally cautious with spending large amounts of money which is why it's taken so long but another reason why I've held off for the past few months is that WAW is very keen for me to get one and I am resistant to doing what she says.

I tell myself - but not her - that a new iPhone won't bring me any happiness, and it won't. I will get one, I nearly got one last Thursday, but they didn't have any in stock!

I want to understand why I'm resistant to buying one if she is so keen. Any psychological theories anyone?

M: 57 / EW: 52
T: 21, M: 8
S: 18, S: 15
Bomb: 1 Jun 14
EA Aug 2014 I think
PA Feb 2015 possibly sooner
L
L
I can't help you with a psychological theory OD, but from a tech standpoint I would steer clear of the 6 for a couple more months until the various bugs are worked out.. I do tech repairs as a hobby business and I have seen a few with various teething problems..

That is to be noted on any new tech though.. You would definitely need to upgrade from the 3 to make the most of the app offerings etc, but even the 4S is still selling and going strong, so the 5S might not be so bad..

Me:35 W:31
S6 + S9
T: 10 years M: 7 years
BD: 7/2014
S: 8/2014
W has new BF: 12/2014
Still fighting the good fight!!..
J
J
Resistance to feeling like your being controlled. You already feel like she has the power (whether to work on M) or not and so its touch of subconscious rebellion

The other thing to bear in mind is this quote

Happiness isn't having what you want, its wanting what you have.

Last edited by jim0987; 10/28/14 10:16 AM.

Both mid 30s, 2 young kids
BD 7sep14
XW moved on long ago, now living with OM1
D paperwork in progress
G
gan Offline
G
1. I say forget trying to put a psychological theory on it and go for it. I bought an iPhone 6 a couple of weeks ago (upgraded from a 4S). Not gonna lie…it did bring me a little happiness. In fact I may well end up getting the Apple watch. The Apple enthusiast is back!

2. As for the theory, my guess is that you don't want to look like you caved to something that she wants you to do (you don't want to make her look right; how can she be after everything else?) But think that through…in trying to resist her, all you are doing is denying yourself of something that you want. See point 1.

H 37 Me 36
Together 15 years
Married 5 years
No kids
BD Apr 2014
H moved out 2 Jun 2014
G
G
I will get a 6, but when I don't need any of my text messages from h as evidence! Lol
Once I don't need them any more the whole damn phone can be erased for all I care.

M 46 h54
Both married before
T 11y
Bd 2/14 I must see where ow leads!
Ms 18 hs 26
S
S
Originally Posted By: Ggrass
I will get a 6, but when I don't need any of my text messages from h as evidence! Lol
Once I don't need them any more the whole damn phone can be erased for all I care.

You can snap a screen shot of a text conversation and save it as a picture. smile

"Don't look back, you aren't going that way"
O
Old Dog Offline OP
OP Offline
O
LMW. I know what you mean about early versions but I don't think I can wait any longer now :-)

I was considering buying it and not telling her but then again maybe I'm just being daft. It wouldn't be the first time.

EA Aug 2014 I think
S
S
Originally Posted By: Old Dog

I was considering buying it and not telling her

OD, there's no reason she needs to know. I mean, it doesn't have to be a secret, but you don't have to show it off, either. And come on, it's a phone, not a new Maserati.

My iphone went swimming in a cup of coffee last weekend. It works just fine now, except everything is black and white.

"Don't look back, you aren't going that way"
O
Old Dog Offline OP
OP Offline
O
It's all happening at Old Dog's kennel.

I've booked a one day "feel the fear and do it anyway' workshop for the end of next month.

Also booked a two day course on JavaScript for a couple of weekends time.

And this evening went out for a couple of bevies, a curry and a gig - Belle and Sabesatian, who were utterly charming.

And coming up on the rails: an iPhone 6 purchase. I just have to find a store with one in stock which is easier said than done.

So that's how you do this GAL thing.

EA Aug 2014 I think
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard