Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2495783 10/09/14 10:41 PM
K
Kvothe Offline OP
OP Offline
K
So today is my 4th wedding anniversary and it's been an unhappy year. This is my first post here. I have posted about my situation on another forum but since I've read the DR and have attempted to understand and implement some of the suggestions, I thought I should share my experiences on this forum and perhaps gain some support.

Together for 14 years, happily married for 3. Got the bomb last Feb and things began to improve until Apr. Then every step was a step backwards to the point where my wife is completely checked out and deciding whether to endure the pain of leaving over staying and working on our relationship. She's very much leaning towards leaving and would go in a heartbeat if it meant no guilt or pain. She is reluctant to open herself to trust because she says she has been hurt every single time she has let her guard down. Nothing deliberate but the disconnection between us is causing us both to be very raw with pain.

I'm currently working away from home, returning back home on the occasional weekend. She has requested NC during my time away so that she can use the space to evaluate her feelings and make a decision. I am respecting those wishes but today has been especially painful given that we were so intimately happy this time last year.

I have almost lost all hope. I can feel how appalling the distance is between us and whilst she would like her feelings to return, she does not believe that they can. Everyone around her affirms this to her and when I suggest otherwise she views it as criticism and that I'm trying to convince her. From what she's said, she'd like to see if the NC will make her miss me and reignite her feelings, but I think that this is misguided or she is not being honest with me. I do not know really because despite our heart-to-heart conversations, I don't think either of us are on the same page with this relationship.

We both want exactly the same from a relationship and we have the same ideals and principles - but I want it and believe it's possible in this relationship whereas she does not.

J
J
Um...my only advice, especially if you've been working away since before the trouble started is to find employment near home and reconnect. If that's not the case. Anything that bugs her about you, fix, now. Do the 180s.

Me: 34 W:33
T: 10 M: 6
S: 6 D: 5
BD: 5/14
Still together(ish)
Not giving up: 7/14
D talk has slowed, a lot.
Gradually working on things together. Still separate bedrooms.
Slow and Steady wins the race.
T
T
Is the other forum here or another site? If not, could you share a little more? What exactly has happened that has caused her to lose that trust and feel hurt? Is there an example that you can share with us?

M:35 W:31
S: 9 D: 5
M: 11.5 yrs
BD: 5/13
W moved out: 7/13
O
O
I agree with Joe1981. I've been working away from home during the week for two and a half years and in my opinion it has driven a huge wedge between us. I'm looking for a job nearby now.

I'm also not convinced NC is a good idea. She could get used to that. I was virtually NC while I was away even before BDay as there wasn't really anything to say: 'got up, went to work, back to the flat, went to bed' isn't newsworthy. My wife used this as evidence against me that we've drifted apart.

M: 57 / EW: 52
T: 21, M: 8
S: 18, S: 15
Bomb: 1 Jun 14
EA Aug 2014 I think
PA Feb 2015 possibly sooner
K
Kvothe Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I posted on another site. I did receive lots of helpful comments and I still post there but I thought I'd try this forum too since I've read DR.

The story has many events but I'll try to just give a brief synopsis starting from where my wife and I believe the trouble started.

- Last year I was looking forward to a moving on in career and we were trying for a family. Things were excellent.
- I didn't get the job, felt stuck in terms of life goals and disconnected/withdraw.
- Wife believed she was pregnant for a month but had miscarriage. She feels I wasn't there for her emotionally. (I can elaborate on that if need be)
- Wife starts to fantasise about celebrities and an old flame
- She realises the disconnection and gives me the ILYBNILWY bomb in a months later
- I take a weekend away to regroup and come back to try working on things - discussion leads to better communication and intimacy, but she'd go hot and cold and I was becoming more reactionary when she'd demand space.
- I realised my behaviour when rejected was undoing any potential healing in the relationship so we agree to a bit of time apart
- She realises that she has abandonment issues a week in and we talk. After a week's reflection I decide to move back in given her issues and promise to work on self and relationship.
- Things going ok after then but the disconnection was expanding and we'd lost the intimacy we had before those few weeks. It became a sexless marriage and all emotional and physical intimacy dropped off. We kept up the honest communication though.
- However, I drop a bomb when discussing the start of these problems and say that given how upset I was when we'd previously tried for a child and suspected pregnancies didn't take, I held back my excitement until we knew conclusively that she was pregnant; a test, a missed period, a doctor's confirmation.. anything. But I was rubbish with my word's and it came out that I didn't believe her. I was trying to say that a part of me didn't want to believe until we knew she was pregnant but her understanding was that I didn't trust her and that vindicated her negative feelings. She was hysterical and threw me out for the weekend.
- On returning home she said she was done and that I have broken all my marriage vows and committed the worst atrocity within our relationship; my "disbelief" is unforgivable and she cannot trust me ever again. Her friends and family are all against me now and I have only managed to remain in this relationship by requesting we both take it one day at a time and I have endeavoured to become the best I can be and be positive around her.

We still share the same bed, we still embrace and we give each other a peck good morning or good night, but really, she is entirely checked out. She is uncomfortable kissing me beyond a cursory peck and she will not wear her wedding ring. She demanded not to celebrate our wedding anniversary as it makes her upset. She cannot trust me again and has no idea what it would take to regain trust or love. The thought of checking-in to work on things and try to be loving to regain a connection makes her feel sick.

I understand her feelings and I do not invalidate them. I do think though that her feelings might be different if she didn't believe I abandoned her. To my mind I was there for her in my own way and I would have done anything for her if I was aware of how she felt, but she didn't even realise her own hurt because she'd repressed them until it all came spilling out at once when we briefly separated.

I was a fool with my words when I was trying to express my feelings regarding pregnancy. Not a cell in my body had any disbelief when she said she thought she was pregnant and showed all the symptoms but I was wrapped up in my own negativity at the time and I was being guarded in a way. She understands this but seems totally unwilling to accept it. When asked why I'd ruin things by saying a part of me didn't want to believe - I can only say that I've been completely confused when she says that I was cold and withdraw physical affection because that's the last thing I'd ever do. Physical affection, hugs, kisses are my primary love language and I don't recall being distant at the time.

Anyhow, I am not employed in a different location. My job just involves travel for month long periods now and again, so at the moment I am working away for the first time in a year. Ordinarily I live at home and work standard hours at HQ which is 5 mins down the road. So, I'm currently working away and she's requested NC. She wants to move out and divorce but doesn't want to cause pain. She's hoping the space will give her an epiphany to stay or leave.

K
Kvothe Offline OP
OP Offline
K
PS- there are no affairs. Only in her head - the dream of being single and dating better men than me and getting the relationship that she doesn't believe is possible with me.

K
Kvothe Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted By: Old Dog
I agree with Joe1981. I've been working away from home during the week for two and a half years and in my opinion it has driven a huge wedge between us. I'm looking for a job nearby now.

I'm also not convinced NC is a good idea. She could get used to that. I was virtually NC while I was away even before BDay as there wasn't really anything to say: 'got up, went to work, back to the flat, went to bed' isn't newsworthy. My wife used this as evidence against me that we've drifted apart.

I wrote a response earlier but it's not been authorised by the mods yet. Basically, I do not work away from home - my job involves travel for extended periods of time now and then.

Also, the NC was my wife's request, not mine. I was initially against it but she said she needed it to assess what she wants to do (stay or leave) and hopes to rekindle some sort of emotion for me through absence. I'm simply respecting her wishes - she knows I don't agree with her.

S
S
Hope you are still around. I am sorry for your pain and I want to encourage you to read other threads here on the board. Do you and W have children?

Have you noticed any changes in her, other than no romantic feelings for you?
Does she have new friends, dress differently, obsessed with her phone?

It is not about what you feel should work in your M. It is about doing the work that gets the right results. Do what works!
K
Kvothe Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I got told I was being divorced this weekend. So it's all over.

Thank you for the replies

Last edited by Kvothe; 10/18/14 06:24 PM.
M
M
I am very sorry to hear that. Keep your head up! Until those papers are signed, anything is possible. Prayers coming your way!

ME: 29 / W: 29
M: 10 (11 in March 2015)
BD (ILYBNILWY): 07/26/14
S:12 / S: 7
"We need to separate" : 08/31/14
Wants to see others: 10/11/14
Separation looming
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard