Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
K
kml Offline
K
The Google thing is cheaper but requires a newer TV, it plugs in like a thumb drive. I'd stick with Roku.

BTW, if you have multiple TVs, you'll need a Roku for each one if you want to stream to each. But again, my old Roku works fine, so you can probably find an older model used on eBay for very little.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Can you get network channels live?? Academy Awards, new sitcom episodes?

Just curious.

We have been living without cable for a while now and it's ok. But, I'm just curious if Roku or Google allows for you to pick up other channels live? We do miss the Oscars and stuff like that...Olympics, etc...

BTW...I think I have a car. Check that sucker, almost, off the list.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
K
kml Offline
K
No (but you can get broadcast channels through an antenna I think still). Hulu shows a lot of recent episodes of certain shows (if you can see last week's show online, then you can on Hulu probably; if it's a show that doesn't put episodes up on its website, probably not).

It really depends on how you watch tv, but if you can give it up, you might save $30 a month - that's a tank of gas or a dinner out.

BTW, Mr Money MUstache surely has an article or thread on this very subject and all your options.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I just looked up antenna. I may try that first. I will check Hulu. We never really used that one.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

W
W
Heather,

So our very own Half-Pint has decided to get off the prairie and go into the Big City!! Good for you!! grin

B
B
I finally checked out Mr. Money Mustache and really liked his philosophy. Might not be for everyone but loved reading his blog.

----
M 39
H 35
D5,D4
M 4
T 9
ILYBNILWY 5/18/11
Left 7/11/11
Divorced 12/1/13

F
F
All W and I have ever had is antenna TV. We could never bring ourselves to pay monthly fees for TV.

MMM is one of my hero's. Sound advice along with a fun to read writing style.

I can't post a link here, but if you go to his home page and use the sites search feature, plug in "Debt Emergency" for a good idea of his prudent philosophy for beginners. (and a laugh or two)

Another one of my favorites by him is "The Practical Benefits of Outrageous Optimism".

He even has a forum, which I recently joined!

M: A really long time.
Crisis: 5 years.
She's still worth it.

Life is never made unbearable by circumstances, but only by lack of meaning and purpose. -Viktor Frankl
W
W
Originally Posted By: ForeverYoung

He even has a forum, which I recently joined!

Jiminy Cricket!! Did you just invite stalkers to stalk you over there, FY??! crazy crazy

F
F
Hahaha, no one knows my name there. Not sure why mentioning it is any crazier than posting our stuff here that anyone could see.

M: A really long time.
Crisis: 5 years.
She's still worth it.

Life is never made unbearable by circumstances, but only by lack of meaning and purpose. -Viktor Frankl
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Wow, thanks everyone!! I really appreciate the suggestions.

Wonks, I think Half-Pint may be moving from one prairie to another! But, a better prairie, better cabin, nicer wagon, fewer angry, blood-thirsty tribes... :-)

So here's a dilemma...

I didn't factor a big enough cushion into this loan from my dad. My relocation money hasn't kicked in yet...mainly because of my snafu with my account number...

I made the downpayment on the car yesterday...2 grand...just as planned...

But, with some groceries, a larger garbage bill than expected and a few other bills needing paid...I have $5,100 in the bank.

I still have to make the remaining rental payment $2,000 by Sunday in order to sleep in our new home.

Approximately $1,000 for the moving truck and gas...

I have to add my vehicle to insurance...I could be sneaky and add it to our joint insurance to avoid extra costs...or I guess I could text Smokey, ugh.

And, I have an appointment with the attorney in on hour, today. Remember, he's looking for the $3800 retainer.

So, I'm thinking...what I can do, without killing myself and feeling like I don't have a dime when I arrive in New York...I could, hate this...tell him to take $1,000 today...we don't have to meet...I can give him another $1,500 a week from today (When the relocation money kicks in-$2500)...I know that he would get things started with $2500. I just feel some shame somehow about all this...yet, I've really been moving heaven and earth to make this all happen...so I'm not sure why I feel ashamed. I guess my atty is kinda brusk and scary. And, I want to give him what he has asked for...but I still have a mattress to buy and groceries for NY and IDK.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard