Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
W
W
It just seems to me that by just fixing major issues with duct tape and wood glue she doesn't want to put any money into the place. It sounds like there are major plumbing and roof problems, along with potential electrical issues. Sounds like a major safety issue to me.

And the fact that she repays you "at her own rate" versus what you actually paid out of pocket? Sorry, but that's a major red flag.

I think she is neglecting the building and she could get into serious trouble for some of these issues. If someone trips and falls over those floor boards and gets injured, there could be liability involved I am guessing. If you switch on a light or plug something into an outlet and there are constant water leaks around (which lets not kid ourselves, water can get anywhere) there is a risk of electrocution. And a leak that fills up a pot in two days? Where is that water coming from? Condensation? Leaky roof? Leaky pipes? Ugh.

Maybe you should look into getting an inspection yourself.

WH

AT BD: WH 41, J 43; Bomb 2/5/2012
Two kids, one dog
D Final 6/18/14
J marries OW 1/24/15
"No matter where you go, there you are"
B
OP Offline
B
My landlady is really insane. She is also a non practicing attorney. She is very litigious and has won several suits against the city of New York regarding her landlord property rights.

She won't put a dime into the place regardless of whether she is selling it or not she is just a super cheap person.

At her other place near by they had a raccoon that kept breaking into the crawl space. She built a trap and caught the raccoon and released it 6 miles away. The raccoon came back and she again trapped it - this time she brought the raccoon to Staten Island. She hasn't seen it since but she keeps a blown up picture of the guy on her refridgerator.

My shack/house is worth at least a million dollars and she has another property in the neighborhood plus her place in dc that has tenants. She is also a published author on woman's rights issues. She is not hurting for money but I think the über frugalness is part of her asperbergs.

It's also weird that she is gifting all these properties to her Alma mata versus keeping the money but again she is odd.

She is not scamming me regarding selling to me in two years. She is crazy but very blunt and not a liar. She has other issues.

As long as she is not dead I am confident she will help me buy the place from Berkley.

I will email her about the repairs and she will do a shoddy repair job as usual. I guess my question was is it worth it for me to spend some of my own money on the repairs knowing that I will be buying the place or will that increase the appraised value of this shack too much.

----
M 39
H 35
D5,D4
M 4
T 9
ILYBNILWY 5/18/11
Left 7/11/11
Divorced 12/1/13

L
L
Brook, I happen to have lots of experience with Asperger's!!

When you contact her, be SPECIFIC...sometimes D12 isn't being a jerk, she just doesn't understand what others are asking of her because she is sooooooo much more literal than the rest of the world.

One time, I was teaching her about Rome and the expression "All roads lead to Rome" came up...she argued with me for 45 minutes because that's just not true. You can't follow our road in Ohio to Rome.

Be specific, ask for what you need...she actually may respond more easily and more willingly because she isn't being forced to read unrecognizable social games/cues. Just ask for what you want. See what happens.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
W
W
Wow...that is crazy. I have no words except good luck!

WH

AT BD: WH 41, J 43; Bomb 2/5/2012
Two kids, one dog
D Final 6/18/14
J marries OW 1/24/15
"No matter where you go, there you are"
job Offline
A question that I should have asked earlier today...do you have a signed/dated lease w/this landlord? If you do, what does the lease say about repairs to the apartment? That is where I would go first. If she's a non practicing lawyer, she should have put something in writing about the rent, what she expects of you as a renter, etc. Check that first.

Well, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't put not one dime on the place unless the papers are already drawn up which stipulates what she wants done in 2015/2016. The papers would need to be signed, dated and notarized long before I would put one dime of my hard earned money into the place.

Just fixing up the plumbing and lighting, would not raise the property value, but are you willing to open the can of worms with a plumber and electrician? What are you going to do if they come back with huge estimates that would require doing other work on the space you aren't renting? Are you willing to take that on?

When you email her, you'll never to be very specific, as Heather pointed out, and you may even want to recommend someone to do the work.

Brook, I would seriously consider thinking about moving if you don't see anything in writing. Yes, she's old and you know what, things can and will change in the next year or so. BTW, does she have family? I would also question her thinking that if she gifts the residence to her alma mater, she may not actually have any legal say in the matter once she gifts it. To me, it would make more sense to sell it to you now and then invest the money she receives from you. But, I think what she's doing is using the gifting as a "tax write" off and this is a good way to do it and she won't have to claim the money she would get from the sale. The house may have been worth quite a lot of money in it's early days, but if it's as run down as you say, it may not be worth that amount today and as I stated earlier, do you have the money to fix up this run down place? It may have more problems than you think and then you will be stuck with place that you can't sell later on.

You need to seriously think about this because all I'm seeing are dollar signs in my line of sight and you need to lock that checkbook up.

I'm sorry that I'm not more encouraging, but this sounds like a money pit and unless you've hit the lottery, I don't think you have the kind of money that will put this home back in it's glory days. Again, it's just my personal opinion.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
B
OP Offline
B
Heather you are so right on about being specific her. She thrives on that. When I send her a one sentence email she sends back 2 pages of information.

She has no family. She has written me emails about what happened to each aunt.

Job if you only knew how crazy real estate was in my hood. You have no idea. This house does not have good bones at all. Only a good location.

Check out park slope bklyn on the nytimes real estate section. The bubble never popped here.

I would do a small Reno when I buy the place. I would continue to rent the downstairs apartment which has a small garden. I have a very close to the amt needed for a down payment. I have been saving for years (like 15) and the rental income will make the mortgage possible

----
M 39
H 35
D5,D4
M 4
T 9
ILYBNILWY 5/18/11
Left 7/11/11
Divorced 12/1/13

B
OP Offline
B
Actually my obsession with saving and investment was one of our marriage issueS. He was and is a spender.

----
M 39
H 35
D5,D4
M 4
T 9
ILYBNILWY 5/18/11
Left 7/11/11
Divorced 12/1/13

L
L
Brook,

I think your plan sounds great. But, I still think you should push to have the current owner handle some of these repairs. Waht about hiring a home inspector, your cost, and have them make a list of what needs done. At least, then, you will have a clear idea of what you are getting into. And, maybe, you can get some clarity on what to do next.

I mean, if you find out that the foundation is need of some major repair...it doesn't seem fair to have to handle that without at least asking for some help from crazy landlady.

Whatever you decide, just make sure your codependency isn't making the decisions.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

B
OP Offline
B
I Hate him I hate him I Hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him.

Why does he make me want to cry? Why does he make me cry? I hate him I hate him I hate him

When will I be over this a$$hole

I hate him I hate him I hate him

----
M 39
H 35
D5,D4
M 4
T 9
ILYBNILWY 5/18/11
Left 7/11/11
Divorced 12/1/13

L
L
What happened?

Hugs. Lots and lots of hugs.

I'm coming to NY Brook!!

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard