Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
W
W
NLW,

I am happy to hear about the support folks finding in your favor. If XH cannot or won't cooperate, then the next step is to have his wages garnished. Don't be shy about it at all. I have a friend who has two sons and has had their father's wages garnished because he CANNOT be counted on to provide support payments.

The child support agency can arrange for it after they receive a court order to do so. I believe my friend received a court order that her sons' father have his wages automatically garnished into her bank account.

I think this is something for you to explore with your L.

Good luck!

N
NLW Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi Wonka,
Yes, that would be the next step in a normal world.
Except, XH is self-employed... and so there is no wage. And there are no tax returns, and he has no assets in his name.

He really has all bases covered.

One thing our agency does here is to prevent overseas travel by those who have significant outstanding child support payments.

So eventually, if he chooses not to pay, he will be turned back at the departure gate on one of his luxury overseas holidays ...

W
W
Ohhhh...try to picture him in his bright orange Bermuda shorts standing at the departure gate at the LAX airport being told by the customs officials that it is a no-go for Fiji because he skimped on his kids. Nice!

No Fiji, dear.

L
L
How is he avoiding tax returns? Is he a crack dealer?

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
Glad to hear you were victorious about back child support. Perhaps you can send him an email and copy the school headmaster indicating that you would like outstanding balance to be paid directly to the school to cover tuition. Would that make him accountable? Just trying to get your son to be able to stay in his school.

Hang in there and congratulations.

M:25 years at BD w/ 2 daughters
BD: 5/14
Separated 6/14 - H moved cross country w/OW
D Final 9/17

“I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.”
― Maya Angelou

L
L
I pushed submit too early.

I'm glad they supported your claim and you feel heard, finally.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
W
W
NLW,

Most private schools set aside scholarships for those without the financial means and I think it would be worthwhile to explore that option with the school admin now that you are a single mother.

B
B
You can do it nlw! Don't let him drag you and your son down the drain with him.

Maybe there is something the school can do to help you out. It is only 1 or 2 more years

Sometimes I really believe I a lucky single mom cause my ex is so uninvolved. Other single moms I know get so annoyed by their exs "helping" out all the time - at least we don't have to worry about that wink

Be strong for your son- show him not to give up

----
M 39
H 35
D5,D4
M 4
T 9
ILYBNILWY 5/18/11
Left 7/11/11
Divorced 12/1/13

B
B
I was self-employed, but I still had to file taxes. How can he pay himself and not pay the taxes? It is illegal. I hope that this will be resolved on time for the payment to your son’s school and he will not have to go to a different school. I’m sending you the positive thoughts and I really hope that it all works out.

M:50
H:52
S28 (my S from previous marriage)
M:17 + 3
BD: 06/12
S: 06/12 - H works in another state
N
NLW Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi Bright, LoisB has the same question...

I, too, was amazed that the tax office didn't seem to care. I asked an accountant and he said that if they don't have a file on you as a having owed them tax in the past, the system simply doesn't flag you as a problem.

Now, XH has never worked in a real job. He hovered around college for many years chopping and changing from degree to degree (why didn't I see this as a problem?).
Then he met me. I was the finance and the equity he needed to start dabbling in his own 'businesses'.

He has NEVER paid tax as he hasn't ever earned anything from his self employment (hasn't even paid off his student loans as they kick in when you lodge a tax return). Money comes in to his businesses but it goes straight out again. And eventually, he has to liquidate the business.

So, he is off the radar as far as the tax office is concerned.

These days, he just uses the income from his current business as an ATM as far as I can see.

It's beyond mind-boggling to me that anyone could operate like this. I get nervous if i haven't paid a bill at least a week before it's due... and as far as doing anything illegal, tax-wise... I'd never sleep again!

If they ever do catch up with him, I can't imagine what would happen. We are talking almost two decades of income without having paid tax (or keeping records).
I feel sick just writing about it.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard