Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
kml #2470324 07/18/14 06:09 PM
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Ok. That's a different spin on the library position. Hadn't thought of that. M-kay.

I will send my resume...Now, the library position I found is about an hour south in the area where I would like to relocate. I would need to problem solve the car issue...but, I'm a clever gal. I wasn't married to a drug addict for 23 years for nothin.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
K
kml Offline
K
Heather, what do you have that you could sell to get a better car? Are there any assets that you will get in the divorce? Can you use some of the money from your share of Smokey's retirement when the divorce is done? (I believe there is an exemption on the extra tax hit if you take it out within a certain time after the divorce, but don't quote me on that).

I don't think I would move for a part-time job, unless it was to a city with lots of other job opportunities in case that didn't pan out.

kml #2470358 07/18/14 07:38 PM
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
His retirement is out. It's tied up in the state system until he actually retires. I did ask for half of the $24,000 he blew last summer on himself and OW...but, I'm not holding my breath. And, his attorney is known for being slooooooooowwwwwww.

I'm good at coming up with solutions when necessary. Years of experience. I'm kinda feeling empowered today...I've dealt with a lot of shid and I've handled it. I will handle this too.

Anyway...that aside. The library positions come with PERS which is the retirement Smokey has...good retirement. Another bonus. No health benefits though.

I'm allowing D11 and her friend walk around the mall while I work in Starbucks. They were so funny! They went through D20's closet...I pretended not to notice...and dressed up in her stuff. D11 is wearing a sparkly strapless homecoming dress with combat boots...tres chic.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm feeling a little overwhelmed so I'm going to journal some thoughts. I have some time to kill!

1. I'm going to revise the resume and come up with a cover letter suitable for libraries.

2. I'm going to look up publishing houses in Ohio.

3. The children's magazine Highlights is in Ohio. I sent a resume for a copywriting position...but, it was late and I didn't sent much of a cover letter. I will send another resume and a decent cover letter to this position. This would be in Columbus...but, I can see myself doing well with an organization like Highlights.

4. I'm going to look up Scholastic again. I know they have a presence in Ohio somewhere.

5. I will send out five more resumes today.

6. I will send out five tomorrow.

7. I HAVE to do some yard work tomorrow. I have neglected the yard with all this job hunting. It looks terrible. I will feel better if I get it back in order.

8. I will ask D11 to put the dishes away and clean the fridge out a bit...I can pick up the living room. She did read a book this morning as I asked.

9. I need to get these creative juices flowing...I felt a bit discouraged to read on a forum that contract tech writing wasn't paying someone's bills. Listening to God. PUSH the negative out of my sacred place.

10. Five job applications, this weekend, to temporary money jobs. Target, etc...

W
W
Heather,

Google writer's conference/workshop 2014 in Ohio and you'll get tons of information. There's a writer's conference in Columbus tomorrow.

What I think you need to do more frequently is networking with actual people, engage in small talk, and collect business cards/contact info.

I've learned that nearly 85% of jobs are discovered through personal contact. That has been the case in my career path as well.

K
K
a friend started a business as an teacher/editor of kids papers and reports. they sign up and send their work via google docs or something similar, she helps them edit their work. she seems to be getting some business, and its a few hours work here and there.

"In a ham and eggs breakfast, the hen is involved, but the pig is committed".
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Wonka, is that a tech writer's conference?

Thanks Ken!! I could easily market that via the homeschooling forums and such.

Thanks for dropping by :-) Sorry, I wasn't home, next time we can sit and have a cup of Joe.

W
W
Not it is not a tech writer's conference, but Central Ohio Fiction Writer's conference. Also there's a fantasy writer's conference too..not sure when that one is coming up.

By golly, it'd be very interesting to meet and network with other writers. There's bound to be someone in the tech writing field out there as well, Heather.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Library Cover Letter: CHECK!

Sent one resume and one cover letter for two library jobs.

OH!!!!!

Honestly, Wonka...I'm not sure tech writing is where it's at for me. I'm interested in it because it's lucrative and I'm tired of scraping by...but, I've never really given in to my passion...which is writing features and children's fictions. That's where I'm very talented and able. I've been trying to be a grown up and consider ALL the options so I pushed myself to go to the tech writing stuff and network a bit.

I guess my brain keeps telling me..."Heather, you MUST be REALISTIC NOW!! The writing you like will NOT PAY THE BILLS!"

But, that Critic needs to STFU. AND...I've never really given myself to it...I was always preoccupied with kids and/or Smokey and/or listening to the CRITIC who dragged me into the Land of the Lost where Procrastinators go to die.

I see the way out now and I'm wondering if I just need a steady part-time gig and the continued investment of my energies into ME.

W
W
Heather,

Originally Posted By: LoisB

Honestly, Wonka...I'm not sure tech writing is where it's at for me. I'm interested in it because it's lucrative and I'm tired of scraping by...but, I've never really given in to my passion...which is writing features and children's fictions. That's where I'm very talented and able.

Trust me...it is very, very important to follow your passion and things WILL fall in place for you. Then channel your focus in that particular area.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard