Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
job Offline
I'm not surprised at the behavior of this woman...she is not to be trusted. Besides, if the check was still sitting, the funds should have been deducted from her account and it should not have bounced. I don't buy her bs story. Sorry...but she's a piece of work and I would insist on cash from this day forward.

As for her doing the homework assignment...again, it's someone else's fault that she's not hugging her own kid. The parents are toxic and they are making their environment toxic, not only for the kid, but the nanny and you as well. Their priorities are not in the right place and you can't feel sorry for the parents. If you do, you'll eventually be thrown under the bus as well.

On another note, of course the little boy is thriving at your place. You are working w/him and sharing your home life w/him. It's a stable environment.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
This is the part I hate Job. This is where I have to do what I can, but know that, ultimately, this mom is going to let this boy down. I have to watch while she hurts this really loving, kind boy who is only 9.

I guess I can focus on the fact that I'm giving him a safe place for now. It just stinks. The nanny is great too.

The nanny was confronted about the whole check debacle. The mom told her that she (the nanny) hurt the parents' credibility by forgetting to give me the check.

I told the nanny to stand up for herself. Tell the parents, "I will accept responsibility for forgetting, but I won't accept responsibility for your lack of funds in your bank account. That's on you."

The nanny refused to stand up to them.

It's a shame.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm beginning to think that standing up for myself and shedding the shame is maybe the key to all of this for me. Being honest about who I am, without shame.

I think I'm carrying the shame of other people. Just like the nanny. That's not her shame. It's the mom. But, she is choosing to carry it. I do that too.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

job Offline
Yep, you and the nanny are the ones that are carrying the "shame" blame for others. Time to shed that coat of many colors and be yourself, for yourself. Own what is yours and let the rest go.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
E
E
"I'm begining to think standing up for myself...".

This ^^^^ is priceless.

<insert picture of Eric clapping and saying...you got this..keep digging". smile

"The difficulties of Life are intended to make us BETTER,not bitter".
"Fear is a prison, where you are the jailer. FREE YOURSELF!"
"Life is usually all about how you handle Plan B." - Jack3Beans
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm paying D11 and her bestie to clean today. It's taking some weight off my shoulders.

I'm looking at the newest tech writing project and it's so all over the place. The mom client isn't the only one with issues here. The husband insists on these phone/in person meetings which accomplish nothing, waste of my time.

During the last phone conversation, it became clear how little he knows about freelance writing. He has hired a "journalist" to pull together tech information but needs me to rewrite what she sends??? Wha??

So, he promised to send me another project with clear instructions on deadline and what needs done. So, what do I have? I have a folder full of about 20 different files and NO notes on what is needing done.

I'm frustrated. I'm sorta sick of this entire family, with the exception of the 9-yr-old.

W
W
Heather,

Regarding people's general ignorance of tech writing, you would want to keep them abreast of WHAT you're doing and explain WHY you are doing certain things. After all they've hired you for your expertise, right?

So, he promised to send me another project with clear instructions on deadline and what needs done. So, what do I have? I have a folder full of about 20 different files and NO notes on what is needing done.

Then call him ask him what are his expectations in regard to these 20 files. It will force him to think about this project.
If the person handing you a job does not have a clear set of expectations, then the project is set to fail. If I were you, I wouldn't do anything with these files until you get instructions from the guy giving you this gig.

What I've found is that emails are the best way to solicit clear guidance in regard to the outcome he's wanting in respect to these files. This way, he can't fudge or dodge his own responsibility for giving you clear instructions.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
That's funny. I just finished an email to him and, then, read your note.

These people are just very--all over the place. He doesn't have experience in tech writing. I think he fell into this because he works for Rockwell as an engineer.

I need to explore other gigs. I signed up for Meetups this morning. I will take a look at my crazy financial sitch and try to make the Society membership happen soon.

A
AJM Offline
A
Quote:
I guess I can focus on the fact that I'm giving him a safe place for now. It just stinks. The nanny is great too.
Remind me. You got into doing this kind of work when and why?

As for the tech writing and groups - tech writing is a business. You should always be looking for that next gig, even while starting the current gig. More is better in this case. Don't be afraid to get more gigs - it'll be a great story later smile

For the groups? Pick one or two, try it out and if it doesn't work, try a few more. If it sounds interesting, it might be or it might not be. That's part of the fun of the meetups. I've met some great people via meetups and still do when I have time to go to them. But several were not what I wanted along the way. No big deal - I came, I saw, I didn't go back. But I did learn and find some interesting people and groups to hang out with. That was priceless.

AJ

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" MLK
Put the glass down...
"Yesterday I was clever so I wanted to change the world
Today I am wise, so I am changing myself."
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi AJ!

I homeschooled our daughter on the Autism Spectrum after she couldn't mainstream. When Smokey left, I began tutoring other homeschooled kids. I have a real knack for it. Many of the kids, like my daughter, have social problems and need extra help because they don't do well in "normal" school settings.

My dad and his wife just dropped off D19. It was really nice of them to help out this week and I really appreciate how they made the surgeon shadowing a reality for D19. At the same time, what jerks!

I guess they were talking about a friend who was diagnosed three months ago with ALS. They said, "She really needs to stop whining and get on with it."

This gives you an idea of the people I was raised around. Their friend was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's and they expect her to "snap outta it." Really?

I'm really not judging here...but, it's important I begin to face the harshness of the people who have surrounded me. I need to handle these people better and continue surrounding myself with more accepting, loving people.

I'm so tired of the all the judgements. I wish I could say, Smokey's judging was something only from the MLC. It's not. It's what I know as normal. Maybe this is why I've always been so afraid of people.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard