Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
J
JFred Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My apologies for this being so long. But I need to provide the details around different events that have gotten my wife and myself to the place where we are at.
Back in July 2011, my wife and I were having some communication issues and some intimacy issues. Making love was pretty much non-existent (about 5 times/year; The last time we made love was Oct 2011). In terms of communication, we still talked and laughed, but we no longer confided in one another in terms of our hopes, dreams, fears, etc..We talked about, and both agreed to go to counseling. However, we never made it. On July 17th 2011, my stepdaughter's (wife's daughter) husband left her. My wife and I put our relationship on hold to tend to her. She was devastated and we helped her to put the pieces back together. Right after that, my wife's father became sick. He was 88 at the time and had aortic valve replacement surgery. He was never the same after the surgery. As a result, my wife's mother (age 87) decided she no longer wanted to live. From Oct 2011-Feb 2013, my wife, her sister, and myself took care of their parents as they needed 24 hour care. Her mom passed in Aug 2012 and her dad passed in Feb 2013. It was a very trying time for all involved.
In Sept 2012, I had been emailed by my ex fiance from 20 years ago. We emailed several times and it became more consistent as time passed. After my father-in-law passed away, I became more involved with her in terms of spending time and seeing her. I had an affair that started in March 2013. In May 2013, my wife found out that I was seeing her (I lied about being intimate with her). My wife said I needed to stop seeing her and we needed to get to counseling. I agreed, and in June we started counseling.
However, approx 2 weeks after we started counseling, I began to communicate and see the OW again. I continued to go to counseling with my wife, but lied about seeing the OW. On July 27th 2013, I told my wife the truth about still seeing the OW and that I did have an affair. I asked for her forgivness (and have continued to do so). I entered counseling of my own and continue with this as well. My wife and I had some dialogue and she eventually asked me to move out. I moved out on Aug 7th. At that time, my wife said she still loved me and needed time and space. I did not want to move out, but I did. On Sept 7th, my wife told me she wanted a divorce. That she would never be able to trust me again and she needed to move on without me. She also said she no longer loved me. I did the begging and pleading, but to no avail. As days passed, she did not bring up the divorce. I felt hopeful, but scared to bring it up myself. On Oct 19th, she told me she had retained an atty and was in the process of completing the paperwork to file for divorce. That she had not changed her mind. That she would always care for me, but she did not love me. She told me she was the victim in this and that it was my fault (and I agreed with her). I asked if she would consider counseling with me again...that I would remain moved out while we went, but she said no.
Not sure what to do now. Through my own therpay I have realized the pain I have caused. I have broke her heart. I had my own issues to work through from the pain I had from seeing her mom & dad pass (I loved them like they were my own parents). I realize there is no excuse for the affair and I have done nothing to deflect blame from me and I have done nothing to place blame on her. I own my choices and the hurt it has caused her and our families.
We have been married 16 years and together 18 years. My wife is 12 years older than me. She in her mid 50's and I'm in my early 40's.
I love my wife and my prayer is to reconcile. But I'm not sure what to do at this point. It feels helpless...like all I can do is sit back and wait for her to file.

JFred
Allow her to make her decisions. If you are no longer involved in the affair (ie you have told OW you no longer want to see or communicate w her because you love your wife and want to reconcile = burn the bridge between you and OW) and you acknowledge your contribution to the deterioration of the relationship and you are willing to wait patiently (average 4-7 years) for your wife to heal from your betrayal then simple tell your wife that you respect her decision to divorce you but you strongly believe that you can work things out. Say this every now an then and leave it at that.

Again, allow her to make her decisions.

Take care.

M 42 H 39
T10 (-2yrs separation)
S8 D5
DD 7/30/11 (EA&PA)
Reconciled 6/2013
Separation in works 1/2017
M
M
So what assurances does she have that you have changed? I mean you promised her before and she took you at your word while you still fooled around on her.

Be honest here.

M-43 W-40
2D - 9 and 5

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet a new life.

RECONCILED AND WISER
M
M
Still around?

M-43 W-40
2D - 9 and 5

Emotion, yet peace.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet a new life.

RECONCILED AND WISER
J
JFred Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes, the affair with the OW has ended. Back in September when wife first stated she wanted the divorce, I had a huge meltdown. After a couple days, I contacted OW and we talked. Told her how much I loved W and that I had to end contact with her (OW). OW understood and wished me the best.
W has no assurances right now. In her mind, she doesn't feel she can believe what I say or that she can trust me (and I completely understand this). She is aware I am still in my own IC. I have communicated to W that affair has ended.
I was over at the house on Saturday and she did not hand me the divorce papers or say anything about it. Trying not to be too hopeful.

JFred
M
M
Keep posting if you're still on moderation. We can't see any of your posts but that should change soon.

M-43 W-40
2D - 9 and 5

Emotion, yet peace.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet a new life.

RECONCILED AND WISER
Be transparent.

M 42 H 39
T10 (-2yrs separation)
S8 D5
DD 7/30/11 (EA&PA)
Reconciled 6/2013
Separation in works 1/2017
J
JFred Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks. I'm trying to be transparent. There is hardly any contact at all between us. We work in the same office about 20 feet away from each other. But she does not speak to me all day. We do walk out together each night as we share a parking pass for the garage at work. but, again, conversation is pretty non-existent. It usually goes something like me asking her how her day was and her giving 1 or 2 word answers. I'll tell her to have a goodnight when we leave the garage...she'll usually just say "you too". She does not call me at all outside of work. She'll usually let me come over to the house on the weekend for a couple of hours to spend time with our 2 cats. That's it. Not sure if there is anything else I should be doing...trying to give her the time and space she asked for, while praying I'll have the strength to handle the situation with grace once she serves me with the divorce papers.

JFred
M
M
Still around?

M-43 W-40
2D - 9 and 5

Emotion, yet peace.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet a new life.

RECONCILED AND WISER
J
JFred Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes, still around. Under moderation and my last post from last week has not showed yet.
Nothing new to report. Wife still has not given me the papers and I have not asked. I'm trying to work on myself and be strong, esp in front of her.
I started going back to church a couple weeks back, which has helped too. It has been hard since the people at the church have asked questions about where the W is. these are people we have known for a long time, so it is difficult to say the words that W and I are separated and then see their reactions, like they can't believe it.

JFred
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard