Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
at741 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you for your replies, I will read the posts you mentioned. We barely talk anymore it seems. He knows that I am not happy. But really he is to wrapped up in his own "I'm to busy" world to even care. If I did leave him, it would probably take him how long to even notice I was gone. I am just tired, I promised myself after my first marriage I would never live like that again. And I never thought I would with him. I don't know.

By the way, sorry about the double post!

S
S
at741 We are kindred spirits. Same sitch just a different town! I went into my 2nd marriage thinking I had asked all the right questions before getting M again only to find myself completely frustrated and alone in my marriage.

My H works A LOT but when we were dating he'd make time for me - even staying up late and running on almost no sleep. After we were married he had no problem letting anyone and anything take up the little bit of free time he had. He let work pile on more and more responsibility with no push back (how many hours can one human work?) If he was home he was napping and grouchy. I'd make plans for myself to fill my time and he'd get mad that I didn't take his schedule into consideration. It was a lose-lose situation.

I tried talking to him about feeling like he was just a roommate (that conversation did not go well and fell on deaf ears). His response "this is what you signed up for."

It got to a point where I threw my hands up in the air and said, 'this isn't a marriage,' and asked him to leave.

We've been off and on ever since but I don't think he's ever gotten over me giving up on him and our M so quickly. My biggest regret was not going to MC before asking him to leave. It was almost like because I made the step of giving up he didn't ever fully have to take responsibility for the things that got us to that point. We'd get so far in recovering and he'd repeat word for word what I said to him the day I asked him to leave.

At any rate, I think you could really benefit from a DB coach or marriage counselor (even going on your own) to build up your own relationship skills before you take the step of leaving. I got a lot of insight into myself and better ways of being in a relationship that I wish I had earlier in our marriage.

Our marriage counselor was also really solution oriented and could frame things in a better way than I was able to. For example something I'd say to my H would be "How do you have time to go hunting out of state for a week but can't make time to go somewhere with me for an afternoon?" Whereas our MC would say to my H "What do you need to do at work in order to make yourself free for a week when you go hunting? Can you do those same things to make time for your W?" She didn't make him feel guilty for the hunting trip like I would have, she gave him a strategy for making time rather than making him feel like he had to choose one or the other. She was good about not making him feel like the bad guy, but giving us both tools.

The MC also opened my eyes to some of the things I was doing to contribute to the problem. Once again, I wish we had gone before I asked him to leave so I could have worked on those things before having him resent me for giving up.

BD: Aug 2012
Separated since May 2013
S born Aug 2013
Aug 2013 H agrees to consider 'baby steps toward working things out'
H is/was actively seeing someone?
A
at741 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes slow_it_ down it does sound so very familiar when I went back and read your past posts. My H was the same while dating, it was all about me when he wasn't working. He just couldn't see me enough. Call enough, talk enough. And now he has made himself so busy that he makes it seem bad to have down time if it pertains to me or being home with me. He loves to keep up on his hobbies and makes time for that even if it only leaves 5 minutes or no time for me. He is the one that so wanted to get married, couldn't wait, and soon after we did I went from being this so loved girlfriend to a controlling, nagging, wife like overnight, I kid you not. And I have no say over him nor his life he is so controlled by the family business it runs his life but yet I'm the terrible person in his life. I just don't understand and I really dispise the accusations. When he has a very easy, pampered life with me the way I see it. Yes I'm a nurture, and than be accused of doing nothing for him when he doesn't have to raise a finger at home. But a lot of the time I have heard people say "You never know what you have got till it"s gone". I know my ex husband says that now!!!

C
C
Men often marry a woman for the comfort level you bring. Like having a mom again, with benefits. You could TRY getting a life of your own, filled with your own interests, and see if that wakes him up and makes him realize he has to compete to keep you. I would also suggest you stop letting him 'not have to raise a finger' at home. Stop doing his laundry. Cook for yourself and if you feel generous, leave him a meal in the oven.

But the longer you stay the poor wife sitting by the phone, the more you stroke his ego and make him feel better about his decisions.

A
at741 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Well I almost lost my mom last night. She is in the hospital. And even then he still goes about his business as usual. He did get supper. But it would be so nice to not have to go through all these things alone. I truly feel single all I could do was cry on my way home from the hospital just always alone. And today I got nothing, no call or a text even like maybe to see how she is or even how I am. He is so self absorbed and as one family member said to me, he really has his priorities messed up and I don't even think he cares. It's always about him, his jobs, his family.

I just never dreamed he would be so thoughtless and treat me the way he does, like I'm such a bother/pest in his life.

S
S
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. My thoughts are with you during this tough time.

Have you had a chance to pick up the DR book?

Also, can you give any additional details like age of you or your H? Since he was so involved in his career when you first got together it sounds like he's not super young. In talking to many married couples during my own struggles I've noticed that the older the couple was (and the further along in their careers) when they got married the longer the adjustment period was in the beginning of their marriages where they went from being resentful of having to adapt their lives around another person to getting to that point where they started enjoying each other's company. Just something for you to keep in mind that maybe this is still him adjusting to married life and not a death sentence to all you hoped for in this marriage. Maybe he just needs more time to come around if you give him some space.

In the short term some things that might help.

1) Try not to bring up M #1. That's a lot of pressure on your H. If he feels like he's always being compared to what you had in the past it will just push him further away and make it easier to spend time away from you.

2) Shift the focus off of what he's doing and shift it back to yourself. What can you do to change things up? Can you do any 180's to change the dynamics between you?

3) If you had to gauge your attitude around him these days do you feel like you are upbeat, friendly and excited about your life when he's home? With the exception of the latest to happen with your mom, what kind of vibe were you giving off when he'd be at home?

It might be worth testing how he responds to you if you set your mind to being positive and upbeat around him at all costs for awhile. Even if it feels like 'pretending', set your mind to not letting him get you riled up and just act calm, cool and happy around him. Happiness and confidence are some of the most attractive qualities that really draw a spouse in so if you can get those two things back around him he may be more inclined to want make time for you.

Separated since May 2013
S born Aug 2013
A
at741 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I did get the DR book just yesterday, so I'm anxious to start reading that. I am 36, H is 38. I never compare him to my exhusband outlloud, just my private thoughts. But thank you for the suggestions, I have really been trying to be more like me, even though I am stressed with my mom, dislike my job, I have been trying to be more happy, positive and engaging when he is home and when he calls.

K
K
Some great advice, as to backing off a bit. But again, depending on what happened in your first marriage and how you processed that will affect this relationship. It is so helpful to get professional direction, and solution based coaching is extremely directive and you will not feel at loose ends. I would be happy to discuss this with you. Best regards.

Karen, Resource Coordinator
The Divorce Busting Center
303-444-7004
karen@divorcebusting.com

Give me a call if you'd like to schedule an appointment to speak with a Divorce Busting® Coach.
S
S
Hey at741,
How is your mom doing?

Just wanted to check in on you to see how the books are coming along. Have you been able to identify any 180's you can do to start to change the dynamics between you - to 'shake things up' a bit?

Separated since May 2013
S born Aug 2013
A
at741 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi All,
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back but with everything going on with my mom that has been my focus. It isn't looking good so I think it's probably just a matter of time. My husband still hasn't been up to see her or there for me at all. But I am getting along. I am really thinking I am just done, idk it just has to be about both people and it's not. I did read some of the DR today and I just don't know if I even want to try anymore. Do I Love him, yes. But I don't like the person he's become.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard