Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
A
A
I think your distinction between "being friends" vs. "being friendly" gives you a guideline.

If you are in any way, shape, or form thinking that "being friends" is the way to "get her back", I'd say to walk away from that line of thinking. Because then what you're doing is a tactic. It's a method of trying to control the situation to your advantage. And it very likely will not work.

(Notice how the more you've pulled away and not allowed her to hurt you so much she is suddenly playing the I want to be friends card? That's because she's losing her punching bag and wants it back. I don't think for a minute she genuinely wants to be friends. She gets off on hurting you; she's shown that a billion times).

You've also already said you can't go this route without opening up to all that hope again. You already know what hope gets you. It makes you focus to an absurd degree on every single little nuance of her moves/words. It gets the focus on her and not on you. You struggle enough with keeping the focus on you.

I think you have your answer here, plain as day. The only way to take care of yourself first and foremost is to focus on you, and to do that, the most you are capable of right now is being "friendly." Treat her like she's a business associate only.

I'm 3 months away from the initial bomb and I had a 6 month relationship with someone that was very meaningful that is now over, and I'm single again. I'm probaby the happiest with me I've ever been right now and the most "over" things I've ever been.

I no longer want my XH back at all. I am a different person and I don't find myself attracted to the person he has become. We really have very little in common other than a shared history.

As a result, I contacted him a few days ago. I've not spoken to him in a year. I contacted him to catch up. He's responded and we have had a civil, friendly conversation. I think this is good. But I have zero hope or wish to reconcile with him as a mate, and honestly, there is a part of me, a very small part, that thinks I might be able to be friends with him again some day, but I still recognize that it opens up a lot of possibilities for hurt, and to what end? I've got tons of friends who haven't betrayed me and treated me like dirt. So even for me, and I consider myself more "over" my ex than you seem to be, I'm still sticking with being friendly only.

I think you open a HUGE can of worms if you attempt a friendship at this stage.

Let her get married. Let her crash and burn.

M45
Bomb 6/09; EA 6/10; Divorced 1/11
Proud single mom of 7 little feline girls and one little feline boy
"Fall down 53 times. Get up 54." -- Zen saying
AntoniaB #2294270 10/29/12 10:17 PM
A
A
3 years, lol, not 3 months!

M45
Bomb 6/09; EA 6/10; Divorced 1/11
Proud single mom of 7 little feline girls and one little feline boy
"Fall down 53 times. Get up 54." -- Zen saying
Delboy #2294278 10/29/12 10:32 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Delboy
Hi Lisa.7, It takes a lot of prayers and bible study to find out in one's heart of hearts (what to do). As time went on, I learned about discernment and so with the help of God (through prayer time) and the discernment I now had, I woke up one morning and it became very clear to me want I needed to do, and what I needed in any future relationships.

God bless you
Love
Delboy

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for answering.

M: 29, H: 31
D: 9
S: 8
T: 13 Y
M: 9 Y
ILYBIDKIILWY 12/09/2012
~~~~
Worrying does not empty tomorrow
of its troubles. ~~~ it Emptys today of its strengths
T
OP Offline
T
Quote:
(Notice how the more you've pulled away and not allowed her to hurt you so much she is suddenly playing the I want to be friends card? That's because she's losing her punching bag and wants it back. I don't think for a minute she genuinely wants to be friends. She gets off on hurting you; she's shown that a billion times).

Wow Antonia. This is so very true. I've noticed a BIG difference the more I pull away. Just last night she sent home a pie with S17 and told him to make sure he cuts it so "your father" can have a piece. This boggles the sh!t out of me. She is definitely being nice. She seems to be trying really hard, but the wedding bells are getting closer.

Quote:
Treat her like she's a business associate only.

Haha! She doesn't even get that. I am completely dark. No contact at all in 5 months with the exception of replying to her text a few weeks back when she reminded me that KISS was on David Letterman. That REALLY still boggles the sh!t out of me.

Quote:
Let her get married. Let her crash and burn.

This is what scares me. If she gets married, there is not even a glimmer of hope. If there wasn't OM, I think things would be a little different....maybe A LOT different. I think I could wait for her. With a wedding happening next Summer, I feel like I have a deadline.

Tad

Currently:
M 56 XW 57
Sons 38,33,31,29

The Sitch:
Married 26 years
EA w/ OM 9/10
Bomb 10/10 (5 weeks after 25th anniversary)
Sep 12/10
She wants D 1/11
W files 5/11
D final 10/11
XW marries OM 6/13
B
B
Perhaps she feels sorry for you because she does feel guilty, and now she's getting married, and you don't have someone. Note that she did ask if you were seeing someone.

Just a thought.

Me:57 H:52 M:28 Got another lawyer last year and filed.
D35,S/D twins28,D22
EA4/04 End? Who knows?
"Life is like a mirror. Smile at it and it smiles back at you." — Peace Pilgrim
Originally Posted By: NotSureWhatToDo
Why is this "place" called divorce busting when mostly it is divorcing / divorced and stuck / bitter and stuck?

I am read, read, reading but it just seems to me that I need to go ahead and get divorced since there is no hope...

you are not reading the pages that have the happy endings b/c a lot of folks are here IN THE TRENCHES so if you want the happy endings, go to the success stories. Or come back in a year or two and see who is out of the trenches.

Even those of us who could "leave", still post here to help those in the trenches.

But I daresay a lot of the "victorious" ones go and have happy lives so we don't post here anymore. Thus there is some "natural selection" going on that makes it look worse than it is. Most, but not all, of those who post here are NOT happy.

Not sure if that answers your question b/c I'm not sure what your point or goal really was...I guess venting?

So, try other forums here.

M: 57 H: 60
M: 35 yrs
S30,D28,D19
H off to Alaska 2006
Recon 7/07- 8/08
*2016*
X = "ALASKA 2.0"
GROUND HOG DAY
I File D 10/16
OW
DIV 2/26/2018
X marries OW 5/2016

= CLOSURE 4 ME
Embrace the Change
Originally Posted By: tadpole1025
Babbling....

Pretty emotional night tonight.

I realized something about myself. I'm either not as far along as I thought or I took a step back.

XW came today and picked up S19 to take him to lunch for his birthday. He turns 20 tomorrow. When they returned, S19 told me that "she talked about you a lot." He said she would just pop me into conversation. He said she asked how I was doing and if I was still seeing my lady friend. I am not by the way. He said that she talked about me just as much as OM and her wedding. He also said that she admitted to hardly ever talking about herself to other people. S19 said he got the feeling that it was because she was ashamed.

why do you still let your sons act as intermediaries for you? We've said many times it's NOT helping you but you let it happen b/c you want the connection or pretense of one. So be it. I do think it's unfair to your sons though.

She told him that she was going to send me a "happy birthday text" on Thursday, but decided against it because she didn't want to ruin my day. S19 told her that it could have had a double effect where it made my day worse but also made it better. She agreed. Why in the Hell would she want to say happy birthday to me? She didn't want to or do so last year or the year before.

B/c she probably didn't think you could have handled it last year. And she was right.

She also told him that she cares about me a lot. Well maybe, but I don't believe you do what she did to someone you care about.

First, it's NOT all black and white. She can care about you and NOT want to be married to you. We see that around here all the time.

We even see LBSers become WASs not b/c they are mad/punitive, but b/c they no longer see their spouse the same way. Sure they'll always care esp when it's a long marriage and there are children. That is a lot of memories together and kids you raised.

But she'd rather be married to OM. That hurts but it's not insane. She can still care about you and want a buddy friend father of her kids, but want to be married to OM.

But.....if she doesn't care, she shouldn't want to be my friend.

What? She just said she cares! She wants your sons to know she bears no ill will and isn't hating you. While I see YOUR confusion, I do not see hers.

See the confusion? I think I may be just as messed up as the MLCer.

The emotional part for me:

She told him again that she wants to be my friend. I don't get this. Why??????????

B/C it's much easier for HER! For her to have you as a "friend" is better than as an enemy. A friend who has no expectations and makes no demands.

She can stay closer to her sons & eventual grandchildren, she can show her sons how compassionate she is towards you in front of them, and not have to share them at holidays or split them with you. B/C hey, you're all friends...

Being friends with you is much more convenient (for sheer convenience it's easier on both of you but I know why you feel differently about it for emotional reasons) This desire to be friends is very common.

She has spent the last 2 years believing that I am the devil. I just don't understand how she would want to be a friend even with OM in the picture. Damn. If I "hurt her to the core", why would she want to be my friend?

B/C

B/C
1) it's easier for her and or;

2) she didn't mean it; and or;

3) she meant it then, but doesn't mean it now.

Tad, Don't make this more complicated than it is.

And by analogy - If my h had beaten me, I would not spend a whole lot of time wondering and asking WHY he beat me...& there wouldn't be endless questions "asked hundreds of times" for two years...

I'd just stay away from him, and not expose myself to being beaten again AND I'd not let my kids see me beaten ever again. And I'd move on with my life.

Do you see the relevance of that analogy?

I've asked these questions a hundred times and still don't understand.

Sooo, Tad,

how's that "asking these questions a hundred times" working for you?

Is it clearing things up? NO IT'S NOT...and

there are no "GOOD" answers to those questions. And you have heard that 100 times (and you still don't understand...)

She told him that it is normal for people in our situation to be friends. I'm sorry but I probably know about 20 divorced couples and only two of them are "friendly." Not "friends" but "friendly."

I know a lot of couples who are able to attend family events without any visible discomfort. They make the event about their children and not their pain or discomfort. They put their needs to the side to be there for the kids. (My inlaws were one example. NO ugly scenes took place and they all danced at our wedding).

Some might not call it "normal," but I think it's healthy for the kids to see us seeing our spouses with compassion, warts and all.

That is not to say you ought to suck up to her for it. Just that someday when this isn't consuming you, and it is, then maybe you'll see my point.

And yes I know a few who are actually friends. It takes time or happy remarriages that reveal in fact they were not so well suited originally.

OR it means that enough time and detachment has taken place.

Now the tough part:

I'm not sure that I can be her friend without it causing me to have some sort of hope. I just don't think it is possible.

Agreed it's not possible at this time so you tell her (do not make your sons tell her this) that. You say "No thanks. It's not possible for me to be 'friends' at this time. It might not ever be possible. Time will tell." The End. If you are clear and firm then she will understand (and respect you for it) and your sons can get that message too.

Plus, to me, being her friend tells her that what she did is ok.

that's a myth. It's a lie that many LBSers tell themselves so they can hold onto their pain and anger. NO ONE WHO KNOWS YOU, will think you're suddenly fine with OM.

The idea that an LBSer has to be angry and cold and judgemental to show that they have not forgiven, just shows that they have not forgiven!...

and they lessen the odds of reconciling with that behavior.
Til now I didn't realize you have done zero forgiveness work.

You think she's supposed to "deserve" it before you can give it. But that's another falsehood.

She doesn't have to even know you forgive her. It's not something you tell her unless she asks, (which she won't anytime soon.)

Its about you letting the wound heal over. It's about your moving forward and GAL finally...

Forgiveness does NOT = condoning behavior.

It's a gift you give yourself and as I said, she isn't really a part of it. It's about not staring at the pain inflicted, but healing and living and letting go of the anger and

NOT asking the same questions hundreds of times...
it's about being free.

However, if I do decide to stand for my marriage and hope to reconcile, that isn't even possible without a friendship. I just don't know what to do.

I asked S19 if he wanted us to be friends and he said "I want you guys back together."

Oh... cry That is the saddest, most dysfunctional thing I've read on your thread.

It's NOT their jobs to get you back together.

My mc said "never discuss recon with your kids unless it's 'VERY LIKELY' or they'll never learn to adapt to what is, and they'll see heartbreak as somethig you never heal from...so don't involve them at all until you believe it's really going to happen."

And here you have them acting on your behalf to create or facilitate it....that is an unfair tragedy to me.

I hope you'll see the damage you are doing and enabling to be done to them. So that you'll stop it from happening.

You're showing them that you cannot be happy without your w, even thoug she left you for OM and is still with him and she has publicly announced her engagement to OM.

I don't get an 'shame" factored in those choices. I think she sounds resolute and wants to move forward and wants YOU to move forward.

Please don't think that holding onto the pain proves your love. It implies that those of us who moved on sooner didn't feel the same love and that's not so.

Plus off the top of my head, I believe all of the couples who reconciled here had LBSers who GAL and changed their lives and moved forward

and then their WASs noticed and wondered and they *(WAS) knew how to reach the LBSer.

Your xw knows how to reach you. God knows She does it all the time.

Well, that isn't happening unless I do decide to be her friend. I really don't know what I want. I think I could forgive her in time,

why do you believe that?

Who said fake friends lead to reconciing?
Be realistic. You've made zero progress towards forgiveness yet. Why or how do you believe you'd ever forgive her? I'm really curious b/c I think your concept of forgiveness needs some polish for sure.

but not sure if I can be a friend without having some sort of hope.

You already said you can't. So don't until you can, if that ever happens.

I just don't know.

I guess the question isn't "can I be her friend" but "do I want my marriage restored." I just don't understand the "friends" thing with the MLCer.

what is to understand? You can't see how much easier and convenient it is for HER to say you're friends now? I do. Way less drama.

I'm just at a loss right now. Not only do I have to decide if I want to be her friend, but I need to make a decision before she gets married next Summer. I feel like I am wearing a watch that says:

08 Months 00 Days 00 Hours 00 Minutes 00 Seconds

It is like a bomb just waiting for all of the columns to go to 00. It's ticking and there is no stopping it. Every day it gets closer and closer.

Why decide anything?
Since you are alright with waiting, why stop? I mean, so what if she marries OM? Why would you ever stop waiting for her? Why ever move forward or GAL?

For that matter, why should your sons ever move forward? Why teach them to adapt when they can cling to the "hope" that all will be well someday...maybe...

maybe OM will die or leave the country, or she'll suddenly wake up and say "WTH? Where's Tad?" and THEN she'll come home and THEN everyone can pretend it didn't happen...AND THEN you can "forgive in time"...??

Sorry for rambling. I'm just trying to be honest with my feelings. I like to write this stuff down. It helps in a way.

Can anyone explain the friends thing in any more detail?

Looks like I have much more thinking to do.

Tad

I feel like I have explained this.

My fear is that the only "details" you can understand are the ones you want to hear, so if I say "it means she wants to come home and she's testing you" THEN you'll hear that.

But if I say "she does want to be friends. You have a lot of memories together and you have 3 sons and things in common..." but "She wants OM as her h. Period", you'll say "oh SHE is so confusing" b/c you don't want to hear that.

I hope you'll release your sons from their "recon" duty, soon. And that you'll free yourself too.

M: 57 H: 60
M: 35 yrs
S30,D28,D19
H off to Alaska 2006
Recon 7/07- 8/08
*2016*
X = "ALASKA 2.0"
GROUND HOG DAY
I File D 10/16
OW
DIV 2/26/2018
X marries OW 5/2016

= CLOSURE 4 ME
Embrace the Change
D
D
This is what scares me. If she gets married, there is not even a glimmer of hope.

So I don't know how to say this without it coming out harsh;

Why? At one point we all thought our marriages were forever so ....

Everybody hurts. It's part of life. Don't miss the good stuff.
Drew #2294870 10/31/12 05:53 PM
A
AJM Offline
A
Hey Tad. I was gone for a bit and will likely be gone from the boards for a bit, but wanted to share something that I ran across a while back.

First, she is trying to hurt/control you and has been for a very long time. You know that and you know why you are staying as dark as possible. Keep that up my man. I told you we have a lot of similarities, you and I wink

Keep in mind it's not a matter of whether or not she wants to be "friends" or feels guilty or whatever... you know by now she has to work through her own issues her own way. But you can be you regardless. It just takes time and focus, right?

I was asked a little while back to answer a question in two ways by finishing the sentence. Can you?
1) I stay attached to my ex and do NOT forgive her because...
2) I do NOT stay attached to my ex and forgive her because...

Cheers,
AJ

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" MLK
Put the glass down...
"Yesterday I was clever so I wanted to change the world
Today I am wise, so I am changing myself."
F
F
Mr. Tad!!

I realized something about myself. I'm either not as far along as I thought or I took a step back.

Sometimes we need to take a few steps back before we start heading forward once again. No worries, it happens.

Quote:
She told him again that she wants to be my friend. I don't get this. Why??????????

Most likely to alleviate guilt, IMO. Given what you've been through so far, would it be safe to say that whatever the reason is, her needs would be first and foremost?

Quote:
She told him that it is normal for people in our situation to be friends. I'm sorry but I probably know about 20 divorced couples and only two of them are "friendly." Not "friends" but "friendly."

Haha! She said, "normal"!! I'm kidding, sort of... smile

Trust yourself, trust in what you see. For what it's worth, you can add me to the "friendly" catagory. I'm sure it happens, but "friendly" is probably the most likely scenario.

Let's say it does happen, would this be a healthy friendship for you? Would it be a positive in your life? What do you look for in a good friend?

Quote:
I guess the question isn't "can I be her friend" but "do I want my marriage restored." I just don't understand the "friends" thing with the MLCer.

The above sounds like this friendship would have strings or conditions in a way. Also sounds like going from 0-100 in an instant.

Quote:
I'm just at a loss right now. Not only do I have to decide if I want to be her friend, but I need to make a decision before she gets married next Summer. I feel like I am wearing a watch that says:

08 Months 00 Days 00 Hours 00 Minutes 00 Seconds

It is like a bomb just waiting for all of the columns to go to 00. It's ticking and there is no stopping it. Every day it gets closer and closer.

Tad, this sounds so grim, so absolute. Remember your thoughts and perspective will always lead the way. Don't know about you, but this road seems like a bumpy one that ends with a cliff. Who's driving?? You or Mr. Fear? Plenty of other roads out there, ya know? I may be missing something, haven't been here in ages but who says you have to make a decision on this right now?

Quote:
Sorry for rambling. I'm just trying to be honest with my feelings. I like to write this stuff down. It helps in a way.

No need to be sorry. Keep doing what helps\works.

Quote:
Looks like I have much more thinking to do.

I beg to differ buddy. I think you're putting way too much thought into all of this. "THE right answer to this crazy mess doesn't exist."

How about just focusing on being your best. You can't go wrong with that. Ever. Live your life and trust that everything will fall into it's own perfect place.

True friendships grow naturally. There are no questions of how, why or should I. Strings do not exist. There is no need to plot or plan or figure them out.... They just happen.

Keep it simple. Keep living your life and if\when your paths cross be friendly. No less, no more.

Don't stand still.
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard