Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2253924 06/13/12 10:08 PM
T
Trust Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I New here and looking for GAL ideas that I can easily impliment and will get attention right away thanks.

Trust

Trust #2253948 06/14/12 12:05 AM
D
D
Excellent idea for a thread

let's keep it near the top for awhile

dbmod
dbmod #2253950 06/14/12 12:09 AM
M
M
There's a list in DR and DB about GAL activities.

M-43 W-40
2D - 9 and 5

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet a new life.

RECONCILED AND WISER
C
C
I'll start with low budget things

Library
Walk in the Park
Any Excercise
Rec Center
Church Activities
Town Hall
Hospital Volunteer
Animal Shelter
Boy Scout,Girl Scout Big Brother or Sister
Hospital Volunteer
Meet up Groups

Ok that is 3 mins of thinking
Come up with more

Me-70, D37,S36
Cadet #2253995 06/14/12 02:12 AM
S
S
I submitted an application today to volunteer at the local animal shelter.

I was also going to (but forgot) call the local hospital and see if I could be a candy-striper/volunteer, as I'd like to be a nurse one day, and this would be GREAT on my resume and potential application!

Meetup.com is a great place to find new stuff. I'm looking for a divorce support group right now.

I also go hiking on the weekends, which is nice.

Cadet #2253996 06/14/12 02:15 AM
Z
zig Offline
Z
playing frisbee with the kids at a nearby park - invite friends to join
picnics
disco parties
cook new dishes that you never tried before
walks after dinner
take the kids out for ice cream
go to the movies on your own
go camping on your own when the kids are with S
music shows or concerts
impromptu cookouts with friends - take your own food so no one is stressed

that's a few more

zig

me 46 H 38
M10yrs T 11
S10
BD ow 8/11
h filed 9/25/12

"if i could define enlightenment briefly, i would say it is the quiet acceptance of what is"

zig #2254003 06/14/12 02:41 AM
J
J
Ok, I’ll contribute a few thoughts first.

GAL is for you. GAL is to take your mind off of your sitch giving you something else to think about. It is to open you to new different experiences that broaden your horizons and make you a happier more relaxed person.

Gal is not a tactic to make you more attractive to your spouse. Do not do things simply to make yourself more attractive to your spouse. Do things to make yourself more attractive to you. Remember who you were when you first met your spouse. I’ll wager you were happy with yourself and your life doing things you liked to do. What were those things?

So ideas, what GAL activities did/do I engage in.

I bowhunt so archery was a natural. I joined a local archery club and began to shoot in their league. I am a little socially awkward so this gave me an opportunity to work on that also. With the recent films containing archers the club is busier than it was. New faces, new people. It is odd to be considered to be a regular there; at least I am not a fixture.

I cross country ski and the first year was a snowy one. I joined an informal group and socialized while making endorphins. At the end of the winter season we held a potluck, it was fun.

I run, well jog when my knees permit and ride a hybrid bicycle when they don’t. Nowhere close to Jbanti’s intensity, but I am an endorphin addict.

Budget permitting there is a kayak in my future and a Harley. Before the summer is over I will have jumped from a perfectly good airplane.

I camp, last year I spent five days at Gettysburg with my daughter. There are pictures of us on the Segway tour on my FB.

I own a Djembe. It was a gift from a friend. When things were intense I banged on the drum. It has been awhile since I did. For a little while I used XW’s Tai Chi tapes especially last winter when there wasn’t much snow to ski on.

My FB page has pictures of this years small garden, perhaps next year I’ll rototill a larger one. And there are the three houses to maintain and lawns to mow, mom to visit, dog to walk the list goes on.

I hope 25 visits she has an impressive list, Jbanti’s threads are littered with his biking and running miles.

Next???

BITS
Me 55, ACK, when did that happen? Doesn't feel like 55
D 30
S 27

You create your own universe as you go along - Winston Churchill
J
J
I think JS described it pretty well and has a great list. My DB coach described GAL'ing as something that puts an extra spring in your step. I have done activities all across the board, some costing a fair amount of money and some not costing anything.

In addition to the cycling and running JS mentioned, here are some of the things I can think of:

- Took my S last year to Chapel Hill to watch UNC/Duke
- Went on the family vacation without my W the last 2 years
- Took myself on a "spiritual retreat" in the mountains of Western NC last year.
- By the grace of God, I've been able to start running again, and I've entered several 5K races.
- I was already cycling, but now I've joined a couple of local group rides in my area
- Joined a Tuesday night relationships group, a Thursday night Men's group, and an every other Saturday night community group with my church
- Went on a mission trip to a juvenile detention center in WV
- Went on a mission trip to Belize
- Chaperoned a a few student ministry activities my S's involved in
- Took lunch in to school with S every week last year and hung out with 5th graders
- Hosted a football party at my house for the Men's gropu at my church
- Hosted a New Years' Eve party at my house with another group at my church
- Went snow tubing with my S in the winter time
- Joined the Men's softball team at my church

There's more things, but I'm just not thinking of them right now.

As a result, I've ended up meeting a lot of amazing people and made a ton of new friends. For me, it's been a lot of healthy activities and I'm happy with where my life's headed right now.

BITS
Me:46 / W:47 / M:19 / T:21 / S13
Bomb#1: 5/8/2008
MC: 5/2008 - 4/2010
Bomb#2: 2/10/2011
W moves out 5/7/2011

'With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.' - Matt. 19:26
jbnati #2254132 06/14/12 02:18 PM
T
Trust Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Wow thanks for the response. Honestly much of my activity before we met involved looking for her. Dating ect . I can do some of these good ideas, I get not doing gal for her response. But I work 2 jobs and my question might be.
Good. Gal. That are. 180 @. The same time?

Trust

jbnati #2254165 06/14/12 03:27 PM
N
ncl Offline
N
Originally Posted By: jbnati
I think JS described it pretty well and has a great list. My DB coach described GAL'ing as something that puts an extra spring in your step. I have done activities all across the board, some costing a fair amount of money and some not costing anything.

In addition to the cycling and running JS mentioned, here are some of the things I can think of:

- Took my S last year to Chapel Hill to watch UNC/Duke
- Went on the family vacation without my W the last 2 years
- Took myself on a "spiritual retreat" in the mountains of Western NC last year.
- By the grace of God, I've been able to start running again, and I've entered several 5K races.
- I was already cycling, but now I've joined a couple of local group rides in my area
- Joined a Tuesday night relationships group, a Thursday night Men's group, and an every other Saturday night community group with my church
- Went on a mission trip to a juvenile detention center in WV
- Went on a mission trip to Belize
- Chaperoned a a few student ministry activities my S's involved in
- Took lunch in to school with S every week last year and hung out with 5th graders
- Hosted a football party at my house for the Men's gropu at my church
- Hosted a New Years' Eve party at my house with another group at my church
- Went snow tubing with my S in the winter time
- Joined the Men's softball team at my church

There's more things, but I'm just not thinking of them right now.

As a result, I've ended up meeting a lot of amazing people and made a ton of new friends. For me, it's been a lot of healthy activities and I'm happy with where my life's headed right now.

And THAT ^^^^^^^ is why we call JB the King of GAL! cool

aka lc4 : )
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard