Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
B
B
We all love you NLW and I would be happy to start a club for us called the Sustained Stupidity Club

----
M 39
H 35
D5,D4
M 4
T 9
ILYBNILWY 5/18/11
Left 7/11/11
Divorced 12/1/13

B
B
It's human nature, not stupidity. Goes against the grain for most of us to do it. Way out of our comfort zones. Believe me, I get that, NLW =)

Me-53
W-49
D22,D18,D15
T-Since-12/2001
Married-9/2004
She Moved Out-5/28/2010
Piecing start-04/2011
Now-together
Thread
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2079304
J
J
Quote:

but that's no excuse for sustained stupidity (otherwise known as keeping on doing what doesn't work)

I'm am borrowing this phrase. If we ever met in RL I'll buy you a beer. If you are in AA. I'll buy the guy next to you one.

Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn. - C.S. Lewis

Life is usually all about how you handle Plan B. - Jack3Beans

Listen without defending; Speak without offending - FaithinAK

TRUST THE PROCESS - Cadet

N
NLW Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Bklyn,
The Sustained Stupidity Club- LOL

We'd need to vote in a President and VP.

All nominations gleefully received.

N
NLW Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Jack,

I love beer, and I'm not in AA yet, so you get the first and I'll get the next.

Where I come from we think we make one of the best beers in the world (but doesn't everyone?)

Cheers,
NLW

N
NLW Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi guys,

Just after a bit of advice to deal with a recurring interactional quirk that's giving me pause.

When H rings me (almost every day) he ALWAYS starts off by saying
"Sorry to bother you"

Then there is always a big gap, because I just don't know how to respond to this opening.

I know it's a little issue, but I know that a lot of others have heard this from their WASs.

So what would a DB coach say about responding, I wonder.

Just saying nothing and waiting for him to get on and say whatever it is that he wants to say doesn't work - it creates tangible awkwardness in the call from the get-go.

Any ideas?

A
A
Is he bothering you? Maybe ask a question back to see if you can hear and validate how he's feeling, such as, "Why do you think you're bothering me?"

Adinva 51, S20, S18
M24 total
6/15/11-12/1/12 From IDLY to H moving out
9/15/15-3/7/17 From negotiating SA to final D at age 50
5/8/17-now: New relationship with an old friend
__
Happiness is a warm puppy.
N
NLW Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi Ad,
He's not bothering me with these calls - but my problem is that I don't know if he's saying this because he believes he is (which is a disconnect/communication problem between us: i.e. that is NOT how I feel about talking to him) or if it's just a social nicety to smooth over the awkwardness HE feels about having to contact me (but then again, he doesn't really HAVE to contact me).

Maybe I should just say "It's OK" in a very quick, matter-of-fact way and stop trying to mind-read.

Really, the only thing that bothers me about his calls is the fact that he always starts them off with this phrase! And that it puts me on the back-foot every time.

It's probably just standard, passive-aggressive script. But then again, if so, how best to respond?

Here I go, analysing the arse out of everything again.

S
S
i think ad's way is good. if he keeps hearing this question, he will have to come up with answers or stop. either way, you'll be better off.

M:63
H:53
S:41, SS:28, SS:25, SD:23
M:15
T:16

Bomb:12/17/11, "I think we should go our separate ways."
H moves to his mother's house, 4/1/12
12/21/12: H moves back home, piecing

Z
zig Offline
Z
i'll join the club, few sure!!

ad's right, NLW - just ask him

the other day - i got sick and tired of h's calling but not leaving a message - it's a clear sign when he's withdrawing more. so the last time he did it i just asked outright - why don't you leave a message - i don't know if i'm meant to call you back or not. after that he's left messages

i went through a long phase of not calling back if he didn't leave a message and not saying anything (the equivalent of you not responding and letting there be an awkward break) and i don't think it worked all that well.

this other way - of being a bit direct, but not challenging , seems to be more effective.

i think now when i don't feel like pussy footing around him anymore or walking eggshells, i don't feel so fearful of being a bit more direct and straight forward.

most of this kind of stuff smacks of passive aggressive to me, and i for one am plumb sick of it

ooh do i sound ratty tonight!

good for me!!

(( )) NLW - i feel for you

zig

me 46 H 38
M10yrs T 11
S10
BD ow 8/11
h filed 9/25/12

"if i could define enlightenment briefly, i would say it is the quiet acceptance of what is"

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard