NOTICE: In order to help the OnLine Community run more efficiently, we will be pruning the boards over the next few weeks. If there are any Topics or Posts you want to keep, please save them soon.
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#2225707 - 02/28/12 10:30 AM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: antlers]
rickb89 Offline

Yes and written from the perspective of an eternal soul. It takes a lifetime and then some to understand that prayer is often answered. Ultimately its our job to become a cocreator of the universe on the same level as the creator, to retun home. In this world we haven't reached the point where we can see the big picture. So I think our prayers are answered and we need to evolve to recognize that they have been answered. That's where our work, our journey comes in. It's not easy, and we have to maintain faith while we do that. Not easy. The strongest swords are forged in the hottest fires. I don't think it means that you pray for the Playmate of the Year to appear at your door, and then she does.

#2225749 - 02/28/12 01:27 PM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: antlers]
2thepoint Offline

Antlers - one thing that I think we all often forget is that we are working on God's timeline, not our own.

If God's timeline is out of sync with our own, perhaps it is because he has a lesson planned for us that needs to play out before we get that which we have prayed for.

Here's an example:

You are experiencing behavioral issues with your son. Things are not progressing like you want them to, partly because your W refuses to cooperate. And yet, the other day your D sent you a very sweet and reassuring text message that should have given you some comfort that at least you are doing the right thing with/for her. This in spite of your W's uncooperative behavior in other aspects of child rearing.

I said this on your other thread that your kids talk to each other. I am sure that your D will or has spoken to your S. Eventually (and probably not on your timeline) he will come around. And when he does and things settle down, wouldn't you consider it to have been an answered prayer?

====================

When I was a kid I had a pretty oppositional attitude to just about everything my parents wanted me to do. I'm sure I made life for them a living hell. Then one day, something in side me changed. I don't know what it was or why it happened but I just had a complete attitude adjustment and made a conscience decision to do things differently.

I remember my dad telling me at one point after I took the initiative to complete a project that he had started years earlier, how proud he was of me for finishing the job. My dad is a man of very few words, but those few words of affirmation buoyed my spirits for a very long time!

My point is that kids change and evolve. Sometimes us as parents can facilitate that change but sometimes the kids themselves need to make it happen, just because.

I think your prayers, your D's acknowledgement of what a great dad you are and time, will prove that your prayers will eventually be answered.

It's easy to find our bottom, it is our top that requires cultivation.

Every rough spot adds to our emotional constitution. -Barney Fife

#2226317 - 03/01/12 08:14 AM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: 2thepoint]
Time2shine Offline

Loc: New York
Try this with a pure sense of integrity: when your thoughts, words and WILL, are completely aligned with your actions!

Forgiveness Prayer

Father God, I choose, as an act of my will, to forgive (name)____________ for
_______(specific offense.) Father, I ask that you forgive them as well; and not
hold these charges against him/her on my account.

Father God, if there are any more stored up negative feelings in me toward
_________, I ask that you cleanse me. I will be open to replace these negative
emotions with the fruit of your Holy Spirit.

Father, Your Holy Word tells us that we overcome Satan by the blood of the Lamb,
Jesus Christ, and the word of our testimony. I now plead the blood of Jesus over
this offense and over my unforgiveness. Lord, do not allow Satan to interfere with
my testimony.

Heavenly Father, I ask that you help me regain the ground that I gave up when I
held onto these offenses. I ask that you take back this ground and no longer allow
Satan to operate there. Give me wisdom to deal with this situation in the future.

Father, I ask that you heal now the wounded places in my soul. Heal my memory of
those offenses so that I can look back on them realistically, knowing that You have
healed me. Now Father, I ask that you bless ____(name) with Your abundant mercy.
Prosper him/her in every way: body, soul, and spirit. AMEN.

Forgiveness does not necessarily mean that the consequences of the offender's
actions are removed. Usually they are not. In forgiving us, God Himself does not
suspend the natural law of "sowing and reaping." In Galatians 6, Paul wrote, "Do
not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.
For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to
the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life"(vs.7-8).

God does not forgive so that all consequences of our sin can be removed. He
forgives so that we can enjoy His loving acceptance of us. He forgives to offer a
relationship in spite of the losses incurred by our sin. He removes eternal guilt
and shame, but not all of the scars and consequences that we must live with.

Choose carefully with whom or where you seek or get your wisdom from! Enjoy.

#2227211 - 03/03/12 06:04 PM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: rickb89]
antlers Offline

Originally Posted By: rickb89
It takes a lifetime and then some to understand that prayer is often answered.

In this world we haven't reached the point where we can see the big picture. So I think our prayers are answered and we need to evolve to recognize that they have been answered.

I don't think it means that you pray for the Playmate of the Year to appear at your door, and then she does.

Then what good is it...if it takes a lifetime to even realize that it's been answered?

Should we have to "evolve" to a different level of consciousness to concoct a 'reality' that it's been answered?

Lotta difference between asking for Playmate of the Year to appear on ones front porch.....and asking Him to help save ones marriage and preserve ones family!

If I sound cynical...I am. It's not directed at you...I just know how I feel, and if He's all-knowing, then He knows how I feel too. He knows my heart. I wanted to preserve a covenant made with Him!

#2229790 - 03/12/12 11:06 AM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: antlers]
2thepoint Offline

Are you in or are you out with God? That was the question posed to the congregation during Sunday's service.

And don't think God doesn't check under the hood to know what is in man's heart!

So are you in or are you out?

#2229846 - 03/12/12 02:07 PM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: 2thepoint]
antlers Offline

Originally Posted By: 2thepoint
Are you in or are you out with God? That was the question posed to the congregation during Sunday's service.

And don't think God doesn't check under the hood to know what is in man's heart!

So are you in or are you out?

I believe I'm 'in' with Him. I believe that I have been 'in' with Him since I was about 18 years old. If He checks under the hood...then He knows my heart. I've pointed that out many times. He knows my heart! It hasn't seemed to matter to Him though. That's where the huge disappointment lies. That's where the 'rocking of my faith' lies.

#2229949 - 03/12/12 05:54 PM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: antlers]
2thepoint Offline

Maybe it is time to start digging into the Scripture in order to find a way to rekindle your faith. Most church's have Bible study groups that meet weekly. Talking through what the Bible says about faith and answered prayers may help you gain a better perspective.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Virginia 

Save Your Marriage! Schedule Online

Schedule a phone consultation with a Divorce Busting® Coach! Call: 800-664-2435 or 303-444-7004