NOTICE: In order to help the OnLine Community run more efficiently, we will be pruning the boards over the next few weeks. If there are any Topics or Posts you want to keep, please save them soon.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2214727 - 01/22/12 12:59 AM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: antlers]
2thepoint Offline

Antlers - there may be a larger plan for your life than you realize at the moment.

"I'm a better man, dad, and I believe partner, than I've ever been."

By you being a better man, dad and partner, how might that be a blessing for you when something that requires a great man, dad or partner is required. IMO, your evolution will pay dividends for you for the rest of your life.

====================================

So back to the topic of the power of prayer. This week I had a 2nd interview for a position that I had originally interviewed for just before Thanksgiving. During this interview I learned quite a bit more about the job and determined that it was not a good fit for my particular skill set. So, I won't be getting that job. And that is probably a good thing. Had I gotten that job and it didn't work out, I don't think my ego could have handled it, to be honest.

Now, I prayed hard about this before and since, asking God to show me the way. Well, since I won't be getting that job, all I can surmise is that there must be something else for me and I hope to find out what that is. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

One good thing that came out of the interview experience was that I got some really good interview practice. I expect that that will serve me well since it had really been quite some time since I had interviewed for a job.

So maybe that's what it was.... solid preparation for the next interview that WILL turn into a job.

And so I keep on praying!

It's easy to find our bottom, it is our top that requires cultivation.

Every rough spot adds to our emotional constitution. -Barney Fife

#2217442 - 01/31/12 09:31 AM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: 2thepoint]
antlers Offline

Originally Posted By: 2thepoint
Antlers - there may be a larger plan for your life than you realize at the moment.

"I'm a better man, dad, and I believe partner, than I've ever been."

By you being a better man, dad and partner, how might that be a blessing for you when something that requires a great man, dad or partner is required. IMO, your evolution will pay dividends for you for the rest of your life. I'm just sayin' it would've been nice if I could have 'evolved' into what I am now without having to lose everything I cared about in order to do it. I hope to God that it pays divedends for others and for me for the rest of my life.

====================================

So back to the topic of the power of prayer. This week I had a 2nd interview for a position that I had originally interviewed for just before Thanksgiving. During this interview I learned quite a bit more about the job and determined that it was not a good fit for my particular skill set. So, I won't be getting that job. And that is probably a good thing. Had I gotten that job and it didn't work out, I don't think my ego could have handled it, to be honest.

Now, I prayed hard about this before and since, asking God to show me the way. Well, since I won't be getting that job, all I can surmise is that there must be something else for me and I hope to find out what that is. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

One good thing that came out of the interview experience was that I got some really good interview practice. I expect that that will serve me well since it had really been quite some time since I had interviewed for a job.

So maybe that's what it was.... solid preparation for the next interview that WILL turn into a job.

And so I keep on praying!
I hope something good turns up for you soon buddy.

#2218526 - 02/03/12 01:44 PM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: antlers]
2thepoint Offline

Thanks for the note Antlers!

Thought I'd share something here that I posted over on my thread in Newcomers. W's friend who divorced her husband and father of her 2 children, engaged 2 different men in the past 9 months, just remarried her Ex!!

This is the same friend that my W modeled her escape from our M after. So, one has to wonder what plans my W has now that her model has been crushed. I'm not counting on anything at all. But one has to wonder!

Still no luck on the job front, but I am keeping the faith and praying that something will turn up eventually.

#2219032 - 02/05/12 04:14 PM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: 2thepoint]
2thepoint Offline

Today's church service focused upon "Unresolved Healing". The pastor spoke of a time early in his religious study when he received a call from a friend about a mutual acquaintance who was deathly ill and in the hospital and the friend asked the pastor to pray for the acquaintance.

As the pastor shared the story he told us about how immediately after speaking to the friend, he said a prayer for the acquaintance and then promptly forgot about it. Later that evening while the pastor was asleep he woke up because he felt like he hadn't done enough and decided to drive to the hospital the next day to meet the acquaintance in person and to pray more deeply.

He told us of his trepidation because he wasn't sure how his prayer could be different or more deeply spiritual and he said that on the way to the hospital he asked God to help him by providing someone with which to share the duty of prayer. Someone who might help him deliver his prayer in a more meaningful way.

When he got to the hospital, he noticed there was very little activity, the corridors were empty of people and the nurses station was unattended. He entered the patients room and slowly he began to pray for this very sick acquaintance. It was during this time that he felt a hand on his shoulder and the voice of another woman who was quite emphatic in repeating his prayers, agreeing with his words and praising God Almighty!

He was also afraid to look up. He jokingly said he wasn't sure who the woman was that had placed her hand on his shoulder... was it an angel, or the head nurse? Anyway, after he finished praying for this very sick patient, the woman left the room before he had a chance to look up. He went out into the hall and no one was there.

A few days later he gets a call from his friend to tell him that the acquaintance had.........

.......fully recovered and had been discharged from the hospital. The doctors were completely baffled as they were convinced that their patient was near death.

As the pastor was telling us this story, you could tell that something was weighing very heavy on his heart. There were several moments during the sermon where you could tell he was holding back tears. It was really very moving!

He rounded out the sermon by reminding us that God has a different agenda than we do and then cited the biblical scripture ...

John 14:1 in which Jesus is speaking to his disciples, says "Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me."

#2219518 - 02/07/12 09:34 AM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: 2thepoint]
antlers Offline

Who was the woman in the room that put her hand on his shoulder?

Prayer is something I struggle with. It says what it says, and I DO believe it...but it still doesn't happen (the things we pray for). Kinda...well actually A LOT more than kinda...shakes up your faith!

I'm ready, and I know you are too, for some of the bad sh!t to stop happening in my life. I'm doing EVERYTHING I know how to do to make it better. But I need His help too. I want it. I ask for it...just don't feel like I get it.

#2219595 - 02/07/12 01:30 PM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: antlers]
2thepoint Offline

Originally Posted By: antlers
Who was the woman in the room that put her hand on his shoulder? I do not know. The pastor did not know. The hand of God perhaps?

Prayer is something I struggle with. It says what it says, and I DO believe it...but it still doesn't happen (the things we pray for). Kinda...well actually A LOT more than kinda...shakes up your faith!

I'm ready, and I know you are too, for some of the bad sh!t to stop happening in my life. I'm doing EVERYTHING I know how to do to make it better. But I need His help too. I want it. I ask for it...just don't feel like I get it.

I think that in my previous post where the pastor said that God has is own agenda for us, is probably something that we all have to understand. We can want things to go one way but maybe they need to go a different way for us to finally arrive at the destination. And that destination may not be where we want to go or where we think we need to go, but we all end up there anyway. Don't we?

Stop fighting against the direction that life and events are taking you. Let go a little and see what happens.

I read in your other thread that you are having troubles with your children, S especially. Perhaps you just need to let go for awhile. Stop the pursuit of your S just like we are taught to stop the pursuit of our WAS. See if a little time and space don't improve things.

And certainly continue to pray.

#2219671 - 02/07/12 05:02 PM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: antlers]
2thepoint Offline

Got an email today from the church I attend with a link to their web site. The link took me to a spot that asked if I had missed last Sundays sermon. Apparently they video tape their services each Sunday and so I thought I'd do a quick run through of the sermon once again. After doing so I picked up on this little nugget that may be of help to you.

Prayer of faith does not guarantee that bodies, minds or lives are healed. It guarantees that our souls are healed.

#2219904 - 02/08/12 09:07 AM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: 2thepoint]
antlers Offline

Originally Posted By: 2thepoint
Prayer of faith does not guarantee that bodies, minds or lives are healed. It guarantees that our souls are healed.

That's one of the things that always stands out about Christianity....there's always an 'out' when things don't go the way you are told in the Bible that they will if you do as you are told.

Matthew 7:7  ”Ask, and it will be given to you seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you."

Matthew 21:22  "And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”

Mark 11:24  "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."

John 14:13-14  "Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it."

These are all pretty cut and dried verses straight out of the Bible. They say what they say. Period. Then, when prayers aren't answered, there are those who say "it's not God's will" or "He did answer, and the answer was 'no'", or some other 'out'. It says what it says. I believe, and I often ask God to help me with my unbelief. But when people suffer, and seek God with all of their sincerity, and still get no help...it can shake ones faith.

#2219963 - 02/08/12 11:26 AM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: antlers]
2thepoint Offline

"I believe, and I often ask God to help me with my unbelief. But when people suffer, and seek God with all of their sincerity, and still get no help...it can shake ones faith."

Ok, I'll grant you that. So then what do you do with this? Where else do you turn? When you are asking for help what do you envision happening?

Here's a true story that may be helpful.

Many years ago I was rock climbing with friends at Joshua Tree National Monument out in the California Desert. We didn't have any special equipment. We were just climbing on and over giant rocks and boulders.

At some point I was climbing what was to my mind a near vertical section of rock with a 25 foot drop off to my right. For some reason I got myself stuck and I froze solid! I was scared out of my mind because I couldn't move, my arms were in spasm and I was on the verge of falling.

I remember shouting out, "I'm going to fall!!!"

Just then a team of professional rock climbers came walking past me on that same near vertical section of rock. Of course they were wearing those special super grip climbing shoes. But regardless, they were walking in an area where I was hanging on and about to fall.

Well! As you might imagine, once I saw people walking right beside me while I was on my belly about to fall, I somehow mustered the courage to simply stand up and walk away.

See the mind often has a way of playing tricks on us. We convince ourselves that there is no other way forward, when in fact there is another way forward, or sideways, or a step or two backwards.

When you can see things from a different perspective, things once thought impossible, become possible.

How might you be able to look at things from a different perspective and be courageous enough to stand up and start walking in that new perspective?

Sometimes prayer is simply a way for you to commune with God and while you may be petitioning your heart out for answers to all your problems, what you really ought to be looking for is a way forward. I don't think God necessarily answers ALL OUR PRAYERS. But I do think he shows us a way forward if we open our hearts and minds.

#2220531 - 02/09/12 11:26 PM Re: The Power of Prayer [Re: 2thepoint]
2thepoint Offline

My W is in the hospital tonight suffering from a severe bout of pneumonia. I guess this is as good a place as any to ask for prayers for her speedy recovery.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Virginia 

Save Your Marriage! Schedule Online

Schedule a phone consultation with a Divorce Busting® Coach! Call: 800-664-2435 or 303-444-7004