Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2098531 10/31/10 04:11 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Here is the first installment of happy-again's old posts. I archived them in pdf format and since they disappeared from the archives I am reposting them. I can't figure out how to directly copy and paste the old formatting into the new blog. If anyone can tell me how to do that I will try. As is, I have to clean up the pasted text so it is legible so this will take awhile. I have other commitments today but here is the first thread and I will get back to pasting more when I can. --GAG

Re: Let the truth be known
MikeinMidland
01/18/06 12:11 PM

That's OK, Cat.
The important thing is that a flame-out isn't the first and only response. Some guys would take that as a
challenge like I did, but others would just walk.
I thought some of the stuff you said. And I can see now that I treated my wife a lot like your H treated you,
but I wouldn't have admitted it in my first post.

01/18/06 12:13 PM

We were young when we got married and had kids early. I knew it was a mistake, yes I loved her but wasn't
ready for marriage.
Nothing I ever did was good enough for her so I decided to stop doing it.
I feel I was sold a bill of goods, she changed after the kids came and put them first.
The sex was boring, and she gained like 30 pounds which made her ugly. She blamed the weight on the
antidepressants, I think she was just too lazy to excercise. She was always interfering in everything I did.
Wanting to read all of the cell phone bills and ask about the calls to my friend, so what, she didn't care about
me.
So now I have my own life, my own space, I see my kids and I give her money that is all I need to do for
her. For all of our married life she didn't need me or love me or want me and all of a sudden she can't live without

She just wants to control me again and take over.
Well I am finally out of her grasp, we are friendly to each other and polite.
There is no hope for this marriage because if I let my guard down she will start again, as it took me years to
get the courage to leave I can't go back now.
Now she can go and get a job and help to support the family as I can't support her forever.
My kids will be OK, I have told them that we love them and I am willing to do anything for them.
I am sure they will eventually see the truth that their mother pushed me out of the marriage with her control
and anger issues.
If only she would have listened years ago it would have worked out for us, now she has made everyones life
bad because she refused to change.

01/18/06 12:36 PM

Now you're getting somewhere. It would help if you gave your ages, time married, kids, etc. Just for
perspective.
Example: Me 43, wife 46, married 16+. Son 15, S12, S5.
I was older, and it was my 2nd marriage, but I was still blindsided by the Mommy gene. It took me a long
time to figure out that their job is biologically determined, and you're not going to change that. I wanted kids,
but I didn't count on being placed dead last for years and then only considered if there was a threat to the
income.
I for sure thought sometimes that my wife only wanted my sperm and my paycheck. But I got the vasectomy
10 years ago, and she knows I'll support them forever. So why does she still care?

01/18/06 12:47 PM

YOU HIT A BUTTON WITH ME..........
After reading your last post I thought you were my H posting this. I saw flashbacks of my life while reading
this. I know you aren't for one, he doesn't have a computer and also you said she could get out and work but
I already work. I was hit hard by this post.

Quote:
We were young when we got married and had kids early

T2SP:
My H and I were married young too. He never got a chance to see what it was like on his own. Now he is
going through some sort of MLC and I am hoping he finds his way home.

Quote:
she changed after the kids came and put them first.

T2SP:
Like your wife, I also put the kids first. I know I shouldn't have but it just happened.

Quote:
and she gained like 30 pounds which made her ugly

T2SP:
I gained weight with the preganancy of my first child and it took many years to get it off. I felt fat and ugly
but didn't do anything about it. Right before my H left I lost 40 pounds. I know his leaving had nothing to do
with my weight.

Quote:
Wanting to read all of the cell phone bills and ask about the calls to my friend

T2SP:
I checked cell phone bills and asked him about the calls. I would hound him about them. I was accusing him
of doing things he wasn't doing.

Quote:
I see my kids and I give her money that is all I need to do for her.

T2SP:
My H pays the mortgage and gives me money if I need it. He does see the kids.

Quote:
Well I am finally out of her grasp, we are friendly to each other and polite.
There is no hope for this marriage because if I let my guard down she will start again, as it took
me years to get the courage to leave I can't go back now.

T2SP:
My H has told me the same thing. He is afraid if he comes home things will go back to the way they were.
Right now we get along and don't argue.

Quote:
it took me years to get the courage to leave I can't go back now.

T2SP:
My H said the same thing.
Okay, now that you have described me to a T I want to say something to you. You may have been young
when you got married and had kids but you did it and you need to own up to your responsibilities. When you
got married you had to have loved your wife and I am sure you still do somewhere in that cold heart of
yours. You need to chisle the ice away and start over. Let her know you want to work on the marriage but
that things will have to change. Let her read the DR book and see what she thinks. Since I am the one who
was left, I read it and it helped me alot. I can now see how controlling I was. I was a total -itch. I look back
and wonder how in the world my H lasted with me as long as he did. Sometimes I couldn't even stand myself.
Everyone changes. I have learned to love myself again. I have learned to forgive myself for being the way I
was. I have let go of my H to an extent and let him see that I have changed. He has his space and freedom
now, but he doesn't have the hapiness. I can see it in his eyes. I hurt him so much that it is going to take a
long time to show him that I am the person he wants to be with. Let your wife know you don't want to be
with the controlling person. It will take time, don't just give up right now.
You need to work on things. Maybe if you stay gone for a bit and let her see the mistakes she has made then
things will work out. You need to give her a chance. I refused to change before because I didn't think my H
would ever leave me. She might have felt the same way. Believe me, if she loves you and really wants you
back she will do whatever it takes to get you back.
You have to give in a little bit too. It is a 2 way street. You need to help her with the change. Maybe you two
just need some time apart. Don't give up altogether though.
Think of the kids. You might think they are ok but I am sure they really aren't. They try to stay neutral and
don't want to say anything to hurt either one of you.
Give it a couple days and rethink your outlook and attitude. Coming from me as someone who is/was in your
wife's shoes. People change. I saw the monster I had become and have changed. All I ask in return is for my
H to give me another chance.
2 kids (15 & 17 yr old girls)
Divorce is in progess.

Forgot to say THANKS to you. Your post opened my eyes wider than they have been in a long time. I now
know I must step up more to work on my own situation. I am going to become the person my H fell in love
with years ago. I am going to be that fun loving person again. He isn't going to know what hit him. He will
fall in love with me all over again.
Thanks for the wake up call finally_free.

01/18/06 01:27 PM

The last few years have been miserable so I moved out a year ago. She cried and begged and wrote letters
saying she was sorry. She even called my friend and interfered with that relationship. She even tried to
seduce me, wanted to ML to me, and I turned her down flat.
I just don't want to be controlled anymore I am sick of cowering to her. She took care of everything and I let
her which was my mistake, but she wouldn't ever let go of the steering wheel when it was time to hand it
over.
Sometimes I get so frustrated and even when I know she hasn't done anything wrong I want to prove that
she is still the same manipulative B****h she has always been so I push her buttons on purpose. I think she
is catching on so she doesn't always react anymore, more manipulation to get me upset even more.
She will not let go of me, and I have told her it is over, but she lives in this false hope that maybe I will
change my mind.She thinks God will change my heart.
Why should I stay if I can't stand her?I am gone now and have my freedom and at least I get to make my
own choices now without her approval.
I do love her but I will not let my guard down ever again to her. I told her that she will find someone else
and will get over me. I will never again tell her I love her or she will think she has some hope.
Wouldn't you know it, now she has lost the weight, and looks great, but she wouldn't do it for me when I
asked her to.
Besides if she cared why doesn't she ever call me why do I have to be the one to make all of the calls? She
used to call non stop, now I never hear from her unless it is about the kids. It is probably better that way
because I don't want her to get any ideas in her head that I want to talk to her. She tries to be so nice, but I
can see through that ploy too, eventually she will crack and I am not falling for it.
I am just waiting for her to do something underhanded like getting my pay attached or something or
harassing me at my job.
People just don't change like that, she is only trying to suck me back into her world again.
I am a much better person now, I have respect and people like me for myself, and I can come and go as I
want to. She would only take that away from me again.
Besides if I went back to her if I took a chance she would think she was right and that would make me weak
again, and I will not be that man again.

01/18/06 01:32 PM

Ok, first thing that comes to my mind when I read your posts is this: Is your W a member here? I get the
impression that maybe your W posts here and you are trying to get a message across? If not, then may I ask
what is it you are expecting to get from this board? Some of us here are trying to get our WAS's back, some
are back together and trying to repair our marriages, and some are trying to support each other through and
after divorce. You seem pretty strong in your opinion that you are "finally free" and DO NOT want to get your
W or your marriage back.
I guess I am just asking for your expectations of us, if any at all.

Thanks.

01/18/06 01:42 PM

Maybe some of you left behind spouses don't get it.
There is a reason we left you, do you ever look at yourselves and your own actions or just have continual pity
parties about how badly you were treated.
Stop acting like you didn't see this coming.
I never committed adultery, I didn't steal or lie or use drugs or become an alcoholic or beat my wife.
I went to work every day, I spent time with my children, I handed over my paycheck.
All I wanted was to be heard and loved and noticed and to stop being treated like a stranger in my own
house.
I guess my expectations are this, why should I not feel like the victim?
Why does everyone feel sorry for her and the kids?

01/18/06 02:27 PM

jeez, if I didnt' know better I'd swear you are my H, I can't believe the similarites.
-My H always wanted me to loose weight, I never had time nor he helped enough for me to take a break,
your W lost weight because of the pain she is in now, I lost 13lbs in 2 weeks out of pure sadness.
-I took care of all details because I had time at work to make calls and research stuff, I thought I was lifting a
weight off him, not being controlling.
She prob doesn't call you because most of us here know that those who walk away dont' want to feel caged
or pursued, it's prob killing her not to call you, she is giving you space not ignoring you.
I, and for all I know your W, dont' believe God will change your mind and make you come back, He gave us
free will and can't make us do stuff, she's prob just praying you open your heart to forgiveness.
Yes, people change just like that, I gain nothing by telling you this but I will never ever be that bossy uptight
person I was, I saw how ugly that made me, I cringe when I remember the way I used to talk down to my H,
as if he were a child.
I too married young and had kids, you have to remember that marriage alone can be stressful, you both had
it tough, dont' put 100% of the blame on her.
The fact that she is being nice doesn't mean she is being manipulative, she is trying to correct her attitude,
one doesn't hurt this much not to learn anything.
Going back wouldn't make you a weak man, it would make you a strong good father and man who loves his
family and who won't go let his family go down the drain without a fight. You are too scared to fail, too selfish
to see you are damaging your children. You think they are ok? Wrong, you will scar them for life, they aren't
OK, never will be.
I was a child of divorce, I felt alone, I had food and a home, but those things didnt' filled the void I felt. I
always thought my heart was like one of those homes touched by a hurracane, seems alright outside, but always thought my heart was like one of those homes touched by a hurracane, seems alright outside, but
when you look up, the whole ceiling is missing.
If you haven't read any other posts you must see that we do see how we were and how we failed. No, some
of us didn't see this coming because our spouses shuted us from their lives way before they left.
My H also felt not needed nor wanted. I thought I was showing my love by being a good mother and keeping
the house and cooking good meals (I work FT btw). This was not the way he wanted to be loved, he could
care less about he home or if we ate hotdogs all week. He wanted time and more sex, something I thought
we could wait on until the kids got older and then we'd have more time for each other. I always loved and
wanted my H, but he never felt it because I didn't fulfill the needs he had in mind.
No one said you aren't hurting, I know my H is too hurt and that's why he isnt' ready to come back now and I
am not asking him to come back until he feels ready to do so. If you left was because you were hurting, I'm
not disputing that. I'm disputing the fact that you label your wife as manipulative, when every efford she does
to gain your trust is misread by you and makes you even more distrustful of her.
People change, you've changed haven't you? you say you feel better now, you've gain confidence.
She's given 18 years of her life to you and your family, how can you blame her if she is doing all she can to
keep her family together?
When all is said and done the only thing that matter in this life is your family, don't loose them just because
you are scared and think you'll loose face by coming back.
01/18/06 02:31 PM

did you love her like she needed to be loved??? My thing with my H is he never treated me right and so why
would I want to reciprocate the feelings of love if there was none??? You handed over your paycheck and that
is great but were you there emotionally as well???? My H left me with no job, to small children 4 and 1 and
another on the way. If he was so unhappy then he should have said something along time ago. I am sorry to
say I did not see this coming and yes I do feel like a victim right now. My H has no responsibilities besides
giving me money.....

P
pie Offline
P
thank u GAG!!! PLease post more when u can, its really helping smile

M 31, H 34
C
C
Yup...this was a good read. Saw myself all over in it. But I also realized these things shortly after H left, and I took a long,hard look at not just his actions, but my own. Hindsight and all that.

Hope you post more. Maybe some newbies will read and believe that this possible painful discovery about their own actions in their marriage can be worked on...to better their own lives, and possibly make a difference in their damaged relationship.

Women are angels. And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible
G
OP Offline
G
Happy_again (part 2) Let the truth be known

01/18/06 03:06 PM

I haven't seen a lot of pity parties around here. I do see people who are hurting, and I see
others who give them encouragement, not to give up on their marriage.
What I see a lot more of, is people admitting where they messed up with their marriages,
how they may have pushed their spouse away or taken them for granted. And figuring out
how to do it differently, then demonstrating that to their spouse over time, until that spouse
can get comfortable that their new behavior is sustained.
If you have been out of the house for a year, then this venting you are doing isn't about
what she did when you were together. I'm guessing that she contacted your "friend" many
months ago, as well, not recently. You are angry that she has stopped chasing after you and
lost some weight. That's what we call "Getting a Life."
First off, you didn't have kids for maybe 7 years. You made it sound you got her knocked up
in high school. No matter how young you got married (and 22 isn't that young) you were
plenty mature enough to go into fatherhood with your eyes open. Then, you had 4 kids in 6
years. And she put the kids first. Big surprise. You have the advantage: you can cut your
own meat!
The youngest is probably in kindergarten, right? Right NOW is when your marriage should
have gotten it's "second wind." The kids don't need her so much. She's getting a full night's sleep most of the time. She's got the time and energy to go to the gym and lose that
weight you're so fixated on. In a few years the oldest can babysit.
I have no idea what you're so pissed about. You didn't like her bugging you all the time.
Well she quit, what's the problem? She's lost weight--why should you care? You're done with
her. Is she keeping the kids from you? Going to court for more child support? NO.
And if you want her back, all you have to do is tell her. Maybe it took you leaving to let her
know you were serious, but she has changed. She won't take you for granted again, and you
wouldn't let her if she tried.
You are like the luckiest man on this site.
Just don't wait too long. And maybe you'd better get to the gym yourself, just in case.
Because your wife is NOT going to wait for you forever.

01/18/06 03:10 PM

Finally Free
The thing is as someone who took vows you should have expressed your feelings and you
should do everything it takes to save your m. Most WAS are not happier after they leave.
You also don't seem to see what you did wrong in yor m and are blaming your w. You need
to get healthy otherwise you are just taking the baggage from your m with you. You won't
be happy until you can work on your issues and know where you went wrong in your m and
are able to forgive yourself and your w. One of the first lessons in being a WAS is learning
where we went wrong, taking responsability for our own actions and working on changes to
make us better people, better spouses, parents etc. It seems you have not looked at your
responsability in your m.

01/18/06 03:18 PM

Wow.....I don't know where all your anger here stems from. But it is apparent in your harsh
statements. You totally avoided my question as to whether or not your W is on this board.
At any rate.......I'll play ball here.

Quote:
Maybe some of you left behind spouses don't get it.

StrongEnough:
No, I think most of us get it. That is why we DB to change ourselves for ourselves. When
DB'ing...it's for US not the our spouse's benefit.

Quote:
There is a reason we left you, do you ever look at yourselves and your own
actions or just have continual pity parties about how badly you were treated.

StrongEnough:
Well, I suppose a little bit of both. When spouses walk out, no matter how bad things were
in the marriage, it is a shock to us. For better or worse. Some of us took our vows seriously.
It's not our fault our spouses didn't. I think we deserve a little bit of pity here and there
from the damage the WAS does to the family unit. Are you not here having your own little
party?

Quote:

StrongEnough:
Again, for better or worse.

Quote:
never committed adultery, I didn't steal or lie or use drugs or become an
alcoholic or beat my wife.

StrongEnough:
That's great. How about emotional or verbal abuse? Calling her manipulative, B!tch, etc.
could be taken as verbal abuse. Did you ever act out when fighting I.e. throw things, break
things? Emotional abuse...scare tactic..and manipulation all rolled into one. WAS's are rarely,
if ever, perfect and flawless.

Quote:
All I wanted was to be heard and loved and noticed and to stop being treated
like a stranger in my own house.
I guess my expectations are this, why should I not feel like the victim?

StrongEnough:
Financial support is one thing. Emotional support is another. I am not going to disagree with
your victim statement. You are very much a victim. Just as we all are and our WAS's are.
THe difference between the left behind spouse and walk away spouse is that we are victims of different circumstance.

Quote:
Why does everyone feel sorry for her and the kids?

StrongEnough:
I'm, guessing that's because walked away from them all. Do YOU feel bad for walking away
from your children?
I think you need to take an honest look at yourself here. Are you just angry that now your
wife is changing into the person you always needed her to be, and it took you leaving to
make that person come out? You think that her changing is another way to manipulate you.
Are you 100% certain that she even wants you back?
You are only giving us bits and pieces of your situation and the angry tone that I am picking
up on in your posts is a bit alarming. Am I bashing you? Maybe, but a little part of me
thinks you came on this board to try and stir up some sh!t. You can correct me if I am
wrong.

01/18/06 03:25 PM

I think that if I didn't know better you could be my H but let me tell you what I think I think
you are a self centered s.o.b and you really don't need to be here b/c you have already
made up your mind to leave well if I was your wife I think I would be glad you left but the
people here are holding out hope to save their M's and be friends if nothing else if that's not
your intention then you have already answered your question with your user name finally
free then be free and see what it gets you. Do you know the statics on kids in D and that
atleast 60% of 2nd. M end in D. I hope that I didn't offend you but if I did then I guess you
deserve it and even though my H has filed and it looks as though I will be getting D I want
to be his friend for the sake of my kids and I think you should do the same I haven't read
anything that is positive in your post to save your M so i think you should find somewhere
else to get advice b/c here is not the place for you.Joa.

01/18/06 03:34 PM

Your anger comes from the fact that she is still in your heart and now that she has changed,
you just might have to do the same. And change sucks, we all know that. But it's necessary
and it's a good thing and you need to do it.
How's the situation looking with the mirror now facing you, feeling_free?
I noted something in your last post.

Quote:
I just don't want to be controlled anymore I am sick of cowering to her. She
took care of everything and I let her which was my mistake, but she wouldn't
ever let go of the steering wheel when it was time to hand it over.

To that I ask: Who decided when it was "time to hand it over" and how did you let her know
that?

Keep posting. This is a good place to work out all that anger constructively. Your original
post had an eye-opening effect on me, like it did on so many others. You are here for a
reason.

01/18/06 03:34 PM

I want to clarify a couple things. I made it in my post sound like I agree with the way you
treat your wife...I don't. I don't find anything positive about your posts. I just got to see in
writing what my H must have felt (yes, past tense) like. After rereading your post I find you
are totally opposite of my H. At least he is man enough to give me another chance. He
never called me names or verbally abused me. We are still separate but we get along now
and things seem to be getting better. This shows that people do change and people should
be given a second chance.
After reading again on here I see you as the one who is pushing. If you think it is over then
why do you care what she thinks now? I don't see it as interferring with your relationship
with your friend. If it was only friendship then your "friend" shouldn't have gotten upset. You
are the one that lost your wifes trust. It sounds to me you are the reason she turned into
the person she was. You handed her your paycheck...you could have done the bills and stuff
together. It sounds like you were coming home to "mom" to take care of you. That is why
you got upset that her attention went from you to the kids. You seem jealous of the
attention they got.
You said something about not giving her false hope. Well, to me you are doing that because
if after a year she still has hope then you must be doing something to make her feel this
way.

Quote:
Wouldn't you know it, now she has lost the weight, and looks great, but she
wouldn't do it for me when I asked her to.

T2SP:
You should have loved her no matter what she looked like. A person should never lose
weight or try to change themselves for someone else. They do things for themselves.

Quote:
Besides if she cared why doesn't she ever call me why do I have to be the one
to make all of the calls? She used to call non stop, now I never hear from her
unless it is about the kids.

T2SP:
Isn't this what you want? I thought you didn't want anything to do with her? You need to
make up your mind on this.

Quote:
I am a much better person now

T2SP:
If you think you are a much better person now then I would really hate to have known you
before.

Quote:
Besides if I went back to her if I took a chance she would think she was right
and that would make me weak again, and I will not be that man again.

T2SP:
It would not make you weak. I think it makes you weak just giving up and giving in.
Sorry for the harshness but I just wanted to give my opinion.

01/18/06 04:31 PM

Funny--------Finally Free seems to have "freed" himself from this board now. The eerie
silence is unsettling.

01/18/06 04:46 PM

It was my wifes job to take care of everything in the house. She had the luxury of staying
home with the children, that was not the issue.
She expected me to buy flowers and romance her but none of my attempts were ever good
enough. I finally told her to buy them for herself, she had the checkbook.
She should have bettered herself, got an education or a job instead of living her life through
mine.
When she offered to get a job it was always something stupid like in a store as a clerk or at
Target. My wife is not stupid, but never amounted to anything other then a housewife.
She spent the money on the kids and the house, never bought nice things to make herself
look good, hardly wore make up, just a real frump.
I work with beautiful women and my wife was an embarassment to me.
My words were not abusive, but she didn't get it. I would end up yelling at her because she
refused to listen to me.
I begged her to change and she refused to.
Now she wears the tight jeans and the fancy clothes that are bought with my money but
she didn't do it for me and I begged for years. I would have liked to show her off but I was
ashamed of how she looked. She used to be beautiful and sexy and she let herself go.
I always apologized when she would start crying and I did feel bad for her, but she should
have taken a hint.
I thought by telling her that I found her unattractive she would want to go to the gym and
make an effort, and yes she did go, but not consistently like I did. We could have worked
out together, but she said she was embarassed to do that in front of me, I did try.
She started covering herself up, and never let me see her body anymore because she said I
made her feel ugly.
That was not my intent.
I will admit I probably handled that the wrong way she was never really that fat, but I
wanted her to look like she did before. I will apologize for that I will admit when I am
wrong.
I will also admit that I am jealous that she doesn't act like she wants me anymore and is
moving on, but she still acts like she cares about me and that makes me madder then hell.
Is she a martyr? It would be easier to divorce her if she hated me. As for the children, I do
love them and I am in their lives as much as I can be.
They know I love them and they will understand more when they are older. I am not trying
to make you people mad, and in answer to your question I do not know if my wife posts
here or not. She has the books, I have seen them at the house.
I am not sure at this point why I am still so angry as it is a year since I left her. I do have a
life but I don't think she will ever just go away. And yes I do feel guilty. But I can not undo
what I have done I have come too far now and made a life for myself without her in it.
I also know she will throw this in my face for the rest of my life and that is not how I want
to live anymore.

01/18/06 04:53 PM

This screams of self esteem and communication issues. The self esteem is the most
important now. She didn't do it for you because she needs to do it for herself to feel better
about herself. Your communication to her probably only reenforced the way she felt and now
she feels free. I am not blaming you directly but you seem like a contributer and now she
feels free and may blame you in her head. Bored people become really boring and that what
you make your W sound like, she was bored.

01/18/06 05:05 PM

I really appreciate your candor. You've made some really good points. I know it's not what
many people like to hear but I still think it's a truthful statement from you. Thanks for
sharing your insights and thoughts.

G
OP Offline
G
Happy_again (part 3) Let the truth be known

01/18/06 07:04 PM

Finally free, I haven't read everyone's responses to your posts, but reading yours was like a
slap on the face. At first I thought you were my H posting!!!!!! And then I read that you
have kids and sighed with relief (I don't have any).
What would take you to go back to your w?
Why are you even here at the board if you weren't interested in saving your M? What made
you come here and post?

01/18/06 07:25 PM

I wasn't always like that with my wife but she would push and push until I would finally
explode.
She was the strong one and the only way for me to be stronger was to rip her apart it was
the only way to get her to shut her mouth. I have said some bad things to her and she
knows I only said them in anger. Now she doesn't respond anymore but I am sure she is
seething underneath.
I do admit she wanted us to go to councelling together but I knew it would be another way
for her to bash me. She went by herself.
My friend never treated me that way my wife did and therefore there was much respect for
her. My friend was also unhappy in her marriage and we were able to be a comfort to each
other.My friend encouraged me to be happy and that I deserved to be my own person but
my wife would never do this. My wife could not understand this concept and kept accusing
me of having an affair until I finally left. It was too much stress.
I would return to the marriage if I knew that her changes were real but I have known this
woman for a very long time and I doubt she can keep up the act for too much longer.
I haven't filed for a divorce because I can not afford a lawyer right now but I am saving for
one. She said she would not fight me on this but she refuses to file.
I am angry with her because the whole marriage has been about her and the kids.
I know the concept of this board and I too hate the idea of divorce but I wanted someone to
understand that sometimes there are just too many problems to overcome. I am not a bad
person I am a realist.

01/18/06 07:28 PM

How many times have we LBS's sat here wishing a WA would give us their opinion?
Now we have one and because it comes with their anger, we assume it's some sort of
prank?
I think we could all use a little reality check here. WA's ARE very angry, and often with good
reason. We LBS's vent a lot of pain and anger and anguish on this bb. I think we should
honor the pain and anger and anguish of a WA too.
Finally, please, share your story. I think you will find willing listeners here.

01/18/06 08:01 PM

Hi Finally Free,
You could also be my WAH with only one minor change!!!
I can't believe all of the similarities! He even knows about this website and forums. Perhaps
you could be any number of our Hs.

It really hurt to read your post, mainly because you've given up on any kind of hope to
repair the M.
Sometime you will regret it. Sometime you will wonder if you had let in just one doubt about
ending the M and tried for a little while, maybe there would have been a chance for the two
of you to be happy. Sometime you will see that true change can happen and it will be too
late. Sometime you will regret it.
Rere

01/18/06 08:08 PM

I think I am mad at your posts because they hit so close to home and they hurt.
I see so very much of my husband in you and the things he said to me over the years. I
guess this is also what he thinks of me, that my changes are not real enough and that one
day I will go back to how I was.
It is really discouraging when I have tried so hard on my own to get help for myself and
know that the changes are really only for myself, that my H will never really ever forgive my
transgressions and I have to keep moving forward regardless of what he decides to do.
Really the only difference between the two of you is that we have more kids.
I have been his whipping post for years and have been called everything under the sun to
the point where I felt truly worhless and wished many times for relief from the pain and
from his anger.
I still believe your marriage and my own can be saved from divorce, but it has a lot to do
with pride and trust...letting go of the pride and being able to forgive and trust again.
When you have nothing, you have nothing to lose.

01/18/06 08:38 PM

Finally_free,
Excuse me for butting in, I have not read your posts in entirety but I first thought is, BUDDY
LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND YOU WILL SEE THE PROBLEM!!!!!! YOU can change the situation
if you want to try and you should. Have you ever tried to learn her love language? I would
guess her tank is empty and has been for a long time. Yours may be empty also but that
can be remedied. I could have written some of what you did but in looking back I see it was
ME who was in a crisis, everything my W did I saw as wrong, controlling, selfish, etc.

Make changes in yourself. I wish I had earlier in my life. I walked out on my W because she
provoked me so badly, but she was really wanting me to be a better, more Godly man. So
part of me remembers and understands what you say, but look to yourself, make the
changes inside, the rewards will be there eventually.
Sorry if I came across harsh, but your attitude flipped my trigger. And I was bad enough
that my W was wishing I was dead or would get killed.
Bruce

01/18/06 09:13 PM

Finally free--I can understand how you did not feel love or support from your wife- my H
often said the same. I did and do love my H more than I have loved anyone- my actions did
not always show that though!! I tried my best to be an amazing mom to my 4 kids- so
much that I had nothing left to give for myself or my husband. Now that the kids are
getting a bit older 2, 4, 4 and 9--I can take a moment and look at myself and improve
myself. It is not that I didn't want to before or that I didn't love him enough to- it was that
I wasn't ready emotionally and didn't have a moment to myself from the kids. My H also
says too late and the changes are now because I have to. But from all of this pain of him
leaving me I have finally found myself and I am changing for myself and my kids and my H
if he came back.
I also hurt my H and have apologized so many times but see that he hurt me too and we
had an unhealthy relationship. That can be changed if both of you would work on it. Also
with the kids she will be in your life until the kids are at least 20yrs. old - you won't be free
of her. Why not make it work with the love of your life and the mother of your children??
The kids can come out of this OK- but not great- divorce leaves permanent scars-even "good
divorces". Research the info. on kids and divorce , research about successes of second
marriages, read here about mid life crisis- educate yourself before you fully decide. It is
clear you are an intelligent man- read the threads on mid life crisis and the preview
chapters from divorce busting that you can read on this website- all interesting reading at
least.
I hope you have got some of the answers you were looking for from us- you have given all
of us a lot of information.
thank you

01/19/06 07:55 AM

FF,
Your anger at your wife is dying, because she refuses to feed it. For a while you could get
angry at her for not taking the bait, but that's not doing it anymore.
You saw the books, and you found the site because you wanted to know what she was up
to. You figured out that she has learned not to react when you "push her buttons." But you
still think its a trick.

So you are using this board as a proxy for your wife. You are using all the hurtful, arrogant
words you used to push her buttons before, and seeing if you can push some buttons here.
You want someone to get pissed at you, so that you can re-kindle your anger. And since
some of the people on this board are probably just starting to deal with their WAS, you are
hitting some nerves.
But these people are not your wife. And they will not feed your anger forever.
Your anger at your wife is dying. And you needed that anger to re-establish your identity, to
give you the strength to be on your own. You were not wrong to leave. It's not fair that she
couldn't listen until you were gone, but that's how it is sometimes.
But the death of your anger is not the death of your self-determination. New habits take 3
to 6 months to become firmly established. Yours, and hers. You have re-built and
established your identity, and she can no longer control it. She no longer wants to.
Your anger at your wife is dying, because the wife you knew is gone. Gone. In her place is
someone who is sexy as he!! despite being a mother of four, has established some selfconfidence
of her own, and is interested in exploring a new relationship with you.
Let your anger die. You don't need it anymore. Focus on being the great father to your kids
that you are, and try being a friend to your wife. Tell her you don't want a physical
relationship yet, or ever, if that's what you want.
Try it. Tell her it's for the kids. (They'll be OK either way, but it would be nice if their
parents at least got along.) Don't ask her to apologize for anything, and she won't either.
Watch her response, test her if you need to, but don't bait her.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
Mike

01/19/06 08:11 AM

About the books you ask of I know that she is working very hard on trying to win me back
but again I do not really understand her reasons for trying when I have told her over and
over again the relationship is now dead and the marriage is over.
Look I know she has made great strides to change the way she does things and I do enjoy
her more but I have seen her when pushed go back to the old ways. I admit I do push her
just to see what she will do. That is wrong but I have to know just how sincere she really is.
This woman really destroyed me and IF I were to ever consider changing my mind I would
need a guarantee and that my friend is impossible because nobody can do that.
My wife was better then me at the finances and she did ask me to help her but it really
wasn't my thing. BUT why should I need to ask her for money when I was the one working?
I walked around without any money and needed her permission to use the ATM. She decided
who got what and how the money was spent. Yes she always gave me what I needed and
paid all of the bills there was always food in the house and those things were good but I was
not a child.
In retrospect I should have been more patient with her. I should have made her feel better
about herself but she didn't give me compliments either. I know when I looked good she
said nothing. When I asked her about this she said that she didn't want to inflate my ego
anymore.
I know she was tired and I should have asked about her day but I really didn't want to hear
about it. I am being honest I really didn't care to know about this one or that one. I wanted
to talk about me and my day.
Now she listens to me and acts like she is interested in what I have to say. The woman
actually listens to my suggestions and follows my advice and that makes me even madder.
So many years were wasted because she couldn't grasp this simple thing.

01/19/06 08:38 AM

I will chime in, like so many others, and say that I am grateful that you are here and it
sounds like there is room in your heart and life for your wife. I really hope you are able to
explore the reality of where she is as a person and where you are now, a year removed from
her. If she is anything like me, and I am a controlling person (or was), she got a wake up
call like no other when you left. All the conversation in the world, especially if it was in a
language she could not understand, would not have gotten that point across from you to
her. Now, through DBing and counseling, she has realized, as I have, that other people are
not there for us to control or manipulate.
I never really knew I was doing it. Sure, if I even stopped for a minute to look at the
situation from my W's perspective, I would have but I never did, even when she tried to get
me to.
It's got to be hard in your situation, and my W's to believe the changes after years of
conditioning to the contrary.
I really wish you and your wife luck. I hope you let go of some of your anger and give your
other feelings a chance.
TMU

G
OP Offline
G
Happy_again (part 4) Let the truth be known

01/19/06 05:59 PM

Quote:
Yes you are right. I am not sure what the right thing to do is anymore. I need
time to think about all of your suggestions. Please understand that I am angry I
wanted to love this woman and I am angry that all of this [censored] had to
happen just to get her to the place where she is today. It just seems so unfair
for everyone.
As for the friend that is over it was never physical but I was angry because she
was right about the emotional thing and I didn't want to face it and have to give
up one more thing in my life for my wife.
I am emotionally fatigued and need time and space to think. I can not make any
more mistakes I hope you understand that. I live with the pain of leaving my
family every single day and when I see her happy and beautiful and being
encouraging it infuriates me because it should have been me she changed for so many years ago.

AmyC:
You started the healing process today, FF. That's a hard place to get to. Many don't. Their
anger consumes them and they are lost in the world. But you broke through your anger
today. I know you need some time to process all this. We'll all be here for you if you decide
to come back.
You never have to accept that old marriage again. But you can begin a new, better one, with
this new woman your wife has become.

01/20/06 05:10 AM

Hello Finally - I have no advice, just a big thank you for posting here. It helps so many of us
understand the other perspective.
Wishing you enlightenment on this journey. Slowly

01/20/06 08:41 AM

I am not sure what the right thing to do is anymore.
I think a lot of us here struggle with this as well...I know that i do. The logical side of me
says to make one decision, while the emotional side of me says to make another
decision...somewhere, there has to be a compromise b/w the 2...that's the hard part. One of
the things that is often said here is that you will know what is right for you when the time is
right. You seem to be saying that you are ambivalent about what to do. My H has been the
same way. And something that i have always told myself, and told my H, was that pride is
your worst enemy. Don't not go back to your W b/c of your ego. Listen to what your heart is
saying to you.
Why your W changed and when she did it doesn't really matter. All that matters is that she
changed. And i can guarantee you that she is just as scared as you that the changes won't
last. But, sometimes you just need to have faith and to believe in the love that brought you
2 together in the first place. There are a million reasons why she didn't change when you
begged her to. But, what difference does it make what path she took, as long as she got to
the same destination?

Come back here often and seek advice from others. You will probably also learn a lot by
reading about other people's situations. Wishing you well.

01/20/06 09:42 AM

Hi Finally_free, I would just like to reply to your quote:
Maybe your husband should have told you what he really thought of you instead of cowering
because he was afraid of hurting your feelings, then you wouldn't be in this position now
End of quote.
My WAW wrote this in a notebook so she could take with her to counselling sessions just
before she left us and moved in with her OM.
Del wears his heart on his sleeve and very often I felt uncomfortable in his company I never
told him as I didn't want to hurt his feelings.
My wife comes from a very passive family and I think your behaviour at times seems to me
to be passive.
Love
Delboy

01/20/06 10:53 AM

I am just another LBS
I will not say that you could be my H. While there are some similar issues, I don’t see my
H in you. The similar issues, they are the same in all M. Finances, kids, control.
Atrraction, sex. Nothing special there every M has at least one of those.
I don’t expect that you are going to put much credence in my word, but I do wish you
the best, and I am going to give you my 2 cents. To start with (based upon your
references to pity party and LBS lack of fault and shock attitude) I am going to quote
from my first post. My H moved out 8/10/05
all along, I just forgot to tell you.
I spent the first 2 years of our marriage just trying to make ends meet. I spent the next
three opressinging him to the point that he walked out. Yes He walked out to the OW, but
I know that I in essence pushed him there. I have three small sons at home, twins, 2 1/2
and a 11 month old. I had no idea that I had done so much damage that he could just
quit without notice. I had no idea that anybody would quit without notice.

I realize more than you know, most LBS do.
Enough about me for now. I know that you have heard from lots about your comments so
this may just annoy you if for no other reason than that I seem to be rehashing.
What the hell is it any of her business?
Why can't I just have a life anymore?
She has now found God again, more manipulation.
I will admit that she has made some major changes but I doubt the sincerity of them as
she could have made these changes years ago when I asked her to.
I think it is more manipulation.
demonstrate love and commitment, if it doesn’t work, so be it, either way by trying you
are teaching your kids a valuable lesson and demonstrating you love for them, its an ego
boost for them that they may not even realize for years to come. Its planting seeds for
mature healthy adults.
anyone realizing how bad it has gotten.

doesn’t change the beauty that God gave each of us. I am sure that I am ugly by most
standards. I gained 60 pounds, I blame it on the twins.
sounds like you were at home still when you were engaging in this emotional affair, if so,
she had every right to ask, you just thought that she didn’t b/c you decided it was over
already.
I don’t know about hope for your M
It doesn’t take courage to run, it takes courage to stand and fight, and it takes far more
courage to say, I don’t know if this will work but I am willing to give it one more try (see
above comments re: kids)
Later in this thread you reference “your truth” you have a truth, your W has a truth, your
kids will have their own truth.
How did she know that it was time to hand it over did you graduate from some financial
flops anonymous class?
anymore, more manipulation to get me upset even more.
would make me weak again, and I will not be that man again.
Some times that’s a luxury, others it’s a curse. If was not an issue, why the next quote.
Raising kids is the most important job in the world. There may have been reasons for a
clerk at target job, antidepressants? Schedule would work with taking care of kids? Low
self esteem? She just plain liked it. By the way did you think that some people on this
board might be clerk’s at Target?
This is the only time that I will say that you have described me. God made me who I am,
I don’t wear make up. DO YOU. I do not belive that gender should create a dbl standard.
I begged her to change and she refused to.
I would have liked to show her off but I was ashamed of how she looked. She used to be
beautiful and sexy and she let herself go.
should have taken a hint.
I thought by telling her that I found her unattractive she would want to go to the gym
and make an effort, and yes she did go, but not consistently like I did. We could have
worked out together, but she said she was embarassed to do that in front of me, I did
try.
She started covering herself up, and never let me see her body anymore because she
said I made her feel ugly.
That was not my intent.
I will admit I probably handled that the wrong way she was never really that fat, but I
wanted her to look like she did before. I will apologize for that I will admit when I am
wrong.
want to live anymore.
I will admit the changes happened a little too late and that makes me angry wasn't I
important enough to change for?
---She’s doing all this stuff b/c you leaving was her slap in the face and she took a good
look in the mirror about what was wrong on her part with the M — IE made the changes
that she sees that she should have during the M which may have kept the M in tact– b/c
your important enough
–She’s doing all this stuff just to get under your skin– b/c your important enough
– She’s doing all this stuff b/c she let go and is moving on
check your odds.
was the only way to get her to shut her mouth. I have said some bad things to her and
she knows I only said them in anger. Now she doesn't respond anymore but I am sure
she is seething underneath.
I do admit she wanted us to go to councelling together but I knew it would be another
way for her to bash me. She went by herself.
this woman for a very long time and I doubt she can keep up the act for too much
longer.
to understand that sometimes there are just too many problems to overcome. I am not a
bad person I am a realist.
on and trying to resolve them, you will never know anything but your prediction.
she really is.
would need a guarantee and that my friend is impossible because nobody can do that.
wasn't my thing.
around without any money and needed her permission to use the ATM. She decided who
got what and how the money was spent. Yes she always gave me what I needed and
paid all of the bills there was always food in the house and those things were good but I
was not a child.
I know she was tired and I should have asked about her day but I really didn't want to
hear about it. I am being honest I really didn't care to know about this one or that one. I
wanted to talk about me and my day.

Are you just a me kind of guy or was it that you both fell into a rut.
Check Bartlet’s familiar quotations–APPREARANCES OF THE MIND ARE OF 4 KINDS.
Now she stopped calling which I find to be manipulative because all of the effort is now
put on me.
You have had a lot bottled up, we see that, we would love to help you, lashing out is not
a solution, but we all realize that sometimes we just have to do it. Others may look at
that as having a pity party.

If you were me how would you approach my wife? How would you want me to treat her
now after a year has passed and I have let all of this bitterness fester inside of me? How
would I be able to tell her that I am the one who can't let go and all of the things I told
her to do with her life she has done? IF I were to tuck my tail between my legs and go
home she would again have the upper hand and remind me that I was the one who
screwed up.
Wouldn't it mean admitting defeat?
My wife admitted that she was a bad wife and promised to make things good again.
IF I were to admit that yes she has made many changes and has kept her word how do I
know that she isn't just doing it prove a point herself? Isn't what she is doing another
form of control and manipulation?
the LBS is to sit and wait fo the WAS to bring up the R at the pace of the WAS. We
know that you are leery, and pressure from us only pushes you away. YOU ARE LEADING
A DANCE, you are in control. And we are letting you.
the place where she is today. It just seems so unfair for everyone.
make you angry over and over, but this is the statement that made me jump on board.
BRAVO– showing courage here too now.
So, we are here, to help and support you and oh my how much we don’t want you to
hurt anymore. Think, stick it out
If you agree to stop calling names so will we (RIGHT?) We do want to help.

01/20/06 11:35 AM

So how would I take steps forward without giving her false hope? I do not want to hurt her
but I am still so unsure. I did call my kids last night and asked to speak to my wife.
She seemed really happy to hear from me, maybe too happy and it scared me. I don't want
to get sucked back in again.
But it was nice to have someone ask me about my day and my job and even ask me what I
ate for dinner. I miss that part of her. I will admit that she didn't make any of her usual
suggestions about my life and she seemed interested in what I had to say.
I had to end the call I suddenly got to feeling really anxious and made an excuse to get off
of the phone. I lay awake all night thinking of my family and my wife and how much we
have hurt each other in different ways.
I pictured her face when I once ripped her to shreds as she was trying to apologize to me,
that look still haunts me. I pictured her face when she tried to convince me to have sex with
her and how I turned her down flat telling her that I would never touch her again, and how
she repulsed me. She sobbed like a baby and I just laughed at her and left.
I just don't see how we can get past this point.

01/20/06 12:26 PM

False hope is when you tell your kid the dog got "hurt" by a car, when he's already dead.
You wouldn't be thinking of going back if you had NO hope. And if you have some hope,
then she can too. That's OK. Hope is not a guarantee.
Take the smallest possible next step. You've already asked to talk to her on the phone. The
next step would be to be able to end the conversation without panicking. To do this, think of
your exit line before you call. Or call 6 minutes before you have to go somewhere.
After that, don't jump right to asking for a date. The kids are a great common ground. Go to
their school and sports events, and talk to your wife when you see her there. No heavy
discussion. Sit with her and the other kids on the bleachers.
After that you can plan a family outing together, whatever fun stuff you all like to do. Or, if
you're worried about the kids' expectations, you can go on a date without her telling the kids
who's she's with.
Think in advance before each meeting about what level of physical contact you are
comfortable with at that point. If she starts going too fast, don't rebuff her. Just explain that
you want to take it slow. On the other hand, don't assume that just because she tried to
seduce you before, she's available now.
You don't have to apologize for anything, or spill your guts to her. She's probably going to
be biting her tongue trying not to ask "relationship" questions. But don't play any games or
push her buttons, either. Just be yourself, the independent person you have become, and
see how it goes.

01/20/06 12:44 PM

FF,
I think you are making some wonderful progress here and I too still appreciate your candor.
I would suggest that you try to just focus on the friendship aspect with your W. Just be
friends. It's a good way to wade in one toe at a time. It worked very well for my SO and
myself. He had to test the waters a lot too, to make sure the changes were real. He's found
out that they are. We've come to a major bump in the road, but for the most part we are
handling it beautifully, together, as friends as well as lovers.
All you have to do is wade into the pond an inch at a time. In time you will know whether or
not the changes are real. If they're not, of course you are free to walk. But if they are, a
whole new world and R awaits you!

01/20/06 12:48 PM

About how you treated her in the past: she has forgiven you, or she wouldn't be asking you
about your day. At some point you both may feel comfortable expressing your regrets, her
for being controlling, you for lashing out. But you don't have to do that first. Get comfortable
with small talk and kid talk first. Begin to function as co-parents and friends, and at some
point you can both acknowledge your mistakes.

01/20/06 12:49 PM

FF
Step one,
you need to think everything through, be honest about all of it. what do you want.
Reconcilliation, right?
Break it down. What will be the first thing that needs to happen? That you can talk to her
without anxiety?
Work on that for awhile. What is the next step
write them down. make them baby steps so that you can monitor.
Step two
work on you. You have conceded that you have been mean, you need to stop that
behavior. Other things about you, think it through, you need to be able to not feel
controlled, so that means that you have to open up to your W.
Step 3
here's a novel one
BE Honest, Tell her the complete honest truth, and here's my version of it.
I love you, I see that you have changed, I have too. I know that we were both at fault
for our problems, I don't know if we can work them out, I am scared. I don't want to give
you false hope but I want to try to work this out TOGETHER. I want you to be honest
with me, I don't want to be manipulated, I don't want to feel manipulated and I don't
want to manipulate. If I think that you are being manipulative I am going to tell you, if I
don't like something I am going to tell you, and I want the same from you. We need to
set ground rules for these things so that we don't get out of control. Maybe a safe time or
safe place or limits on how often? What do you think W?
Step 4
Give all us LBS the advise that we need to be as lucky as you.

Last edited by job; 09/26/16 06:19 AM. Reason: Removal of link to another site.
P
pie Offline
P
GAG! I could KISS you!!! You are helping so much! Please keep posting smile This is helping my situation so much. H has turned a corner, because I've been able to understand what he's been feeling now....and he's opening up, because I can understand and help him....pls continue smile

EVERYONE SHOULD READ THESE!!!! They should be stickies!! How do we make this a sticky?

M 31, H 34
G
OP Offline
G
Pie,

I'm glad this is helping. I think I'll be able to post more today.

Do you have a thread? I coudn't find it.

GAG

H
H
Well look what the cat dragged in!
This is making some interesting reading for me it has been years since I read some of my old posts here. I still don't get how my old posts are helping you to understand your Husband though. We are all different and each person has different problems. You have to work on your stuff and do your work as there is no guarantee that your marriage is going to be saved just because mine was.

G
OP Offline
G
Could it be? Is there a "DB celebrity" in our midst? If so, THANK YOU for coming forward! Your posts have given many of us here hope.

GAG

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard