Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22
SoCo #1840866 09/20/09 06:33 AM
M
OP Offline
M
So ... I went to a concert tonight with a friend. A pretty friend, but a friend nevertheless. I just didn't want to go alone and figured it would be fun. Lo and behold, friend has the same attachment to her phone. It was a great show, she's busy texting, checking email ... whatever. Seriously, how hard is to to ingore the stupid thing for 2 hours? You can't miss THAT much. I think the phone thing bugs me more than it should.

C
C
Hey MW,

You don't have kids I see. The phone, my real teenager, it is glued to his hand. He doesn't even make phone calls. ALL text, ALL the time. Last month over 10,000. No that is not a TYPO. It is rude, disrespectful, and if the kid tells me one more time he is paying attention to me and plugging away at that thing I might kill him. LOL.

It is their way, and our dislike, mine anyway, comes in part from my age, I didn't even want of feel like I needed a cell for years. The rest, I think it is about feeling disrespected. But they really think they are paying attention to what is going on around them because it is so much a natural part of their existence.

Can't wrap my head around that. I text or watch TV. Find it hard to do both. But the kids can. So give it the thought it deserves and let it go. It is a new and crazy but probably pretty permanent part of our lives.

Especially if Trapt's implants take hold. Maybe he can figure a way to utelize the body to power them instead of batteries.

"Acceptance doesn't mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what it is and there's got to be a way through it."--Michael J. Fox
cat04 #1840944 09/20/09 03:01 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Cat-
I think you are right me feeling it is a disrespect thing. I've even been guilty of the phone obsession on occasion. It's just funny b/c we were in the middle of a darkened theater and her stupid iPhone would light up the entire row. People around us were not happy. This is a grown woman.

I think it just hit a nerve. My STBX does the same thing. She'd answer the phone when were in the middle of a conversation or jump at the sound of the incoming text. Just flashbacks, I guess. And a reminder of the disrespect I feel/felt from my W ... and how that is just not acceptable to me anymore ... from anyone.

No big deal, just felt the need to share. And now ... off to look at the fall colors, if I can find them.

G
G
I think it's really rude and disrespectful, my h would do the same thing. I ASKED if he would please put the phone down while we were having a conversation, or whatever. NOPE, he couldn't do it....I think it's some sick need to be wanted or in control or feel important because someone is contacting them. I don't know....good for you for setting those boundaries. smile

Glad you enjoyed the concert with your friend. I was wondering if you were heading up on such a gorgeous day...

But I heard the weather is turning colder tomorrow. frown

Me 55
H 49
Married 21 years
No kids
bomb 5/09
filed 7/09
divorced and moving forward 5/10

Life is all about Plan B
G
G
To many peolpe are glued to that damn thing and actully see the texts etc as real connection. I don't like it and the only reason I even look at my phone when I'm out is to see if it's from D's. Even then, if I don't get another text/call right on top of the first one, I figure it's not urgent (and I have a good friend that is also a neighbor and the kids have her and an uncle that lives close in a real emergency).

Honestly if my D's weren't minors and didn't live with me 24/7 I'd probably hardly ever use the thing.

I really don't understand why people can't enjoy what they're doing in the moment and not worry about what they might be missing.

I hope you find some nice colors today.

Grace_O #1841032 09/20/09 09:38 PM
M
OP Offline
M
The mountains were awesome today. I got some really nice pictures of the golds and greens. I was trying to make it to Buena Vista, but that big storm was just on the horizon and closing fast. I could see the snow/rain and figured it was time to come back and watch some football. Excellent day. I didn't check my phone once. Of course, I don't have the disease. Haha.

G
G
You should mat and frame some of the photos.

Forced yourself to watch football huh? smile

So far, I'm negative for cpd (cell phone disease/disorder), but I hope it isn't catching.

Grace_O #1841386 09/21/09 03:48 PM
J
J
Originally Posted By: Grace_O
So far, I'm negative for cpd (cell phone disease/disorder), but I hope it isn't catching.

The vaccine is in Stage 1 clinical trials.

Strange to see all these rats running around with little cell phones.....

Really, really strange.....

PATIENCE AND FORTITUDE CONQUER ALL THINGS.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

DBing and MLC take their toll....Please provide exact CHANGE.
-Jimbo
Jimbo #1841431 09/21/09 04:45 PM
G
G
Well at least there are plenty of rats to test the vaccine on.

It's almost amusing (if it wasn't so sad) that so many people don't know how to just be. And they laugh at me b/c I'll do things alone rather than not do.

Geez, at least I can sit in silence without getting anxious.
I'd like to think it's a temperment more than an age thing.... smile

Grace_O #1841440 09/21/09 04:51 PM
B
B
Originally Posted By: Grace_O
Well at least there are plenty of rats to test the vaccine on.

It's almost amusing (if it wasn't so sad) that so many people don't know how to just be. And they laugh at me b/c I'll do things alone rather than not do.

Geez, at least I can sit in silence without getting anxious.
I'd like to think it's a temperment more than an age thing.... smile

Must have something to do with the hair flip....

I LOVE silence.....It's the quietest thing I have....

Maybe we could get a standard issue Phone/Sunglass combo ?

Oh crap, don't steal my idea Trapt.....

Anyone have a number for a patten ?

Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard