Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 31 of 32 1 2 29 30 31 32
O
OP Offline
O
Another weekend day of good weather. Time for a little two wheel therapy.

"My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand." Thich Nhat Hanh
A
A
Originally Posted By: orangedog
Another weekend day of good weather. Time for a little two wheel therapy.

Human powered, or motorized?

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." - William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830's.
O
OP Offline
O
It was a tough decision to figure out which one to take out. Octane won out only because my body was feeling stiff and sore (don't know why).

It's surprising to still be riding this late but there were plenty of other bikes out too. Nice scenic drive out the inlet. Then on the way home I took one of the hillside twisty roads. I had it buried in the red (it's an old bike but it can still move) and saw a brief flash of frost on the road. Aeeee!!! Just about as scary as seeing an car in the wrong lane.

I ride my road bike the rollers all winter and my mt bike outdoors packed snow and sand/gravel.

"My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand." Thich Nhat Hanh
A
A
I plan to still ride my roadbike when I can during the winter, but I'm gonna get a mountain bike so I can keep peddling during the winter when it's too bad for my roadbike. Gimme some advice O'dog...

should I go hardtail or fullsquish?

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." - William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830's.
O
OP Offline
O
Well I ride a hardtail mostly because the road bike gets first dibs on the $. That will have to change soon as I got just too pounded this season - maybe a better fork would do the trick.

A lot of the people I know who ride snow ride hardtails in the winter and some go as to swap a rigid fork claiming the fluid is troublesome. If you're really into biking snow and loose stuff then check out the super-fat tire bikes built on a Surly Pugsley or Fatback frame. No contest the best ride for the terrain.

For packed trails knobby tires do fine but on ice studded tires are better. There are guys who make their own monster tires using sheet metal screws but they weigh a bunch and are overkill for everything but traversing glaciers!

As far as clothing, windproof everything! You know that already from regular biking but when it's cold it so much worse. Those handlebar hand-overwrap things are also really helpful.

A
A
Thanks. We're here in the midwest. I'm leaning towards a hardtail...my roadbike get the $$ spent on it too. I like Giant, and I've been looking at the XTC 29'er 2. Full suspension I looked at was the Giant Trance X2. Big price difference between the two. I like the hardtail that I mentioned, and I think I could probably get it done on the trails here with it.

O
OP Offline
O
Nice rides - either one of them. As far as budget that's how it is with me too. The full-suspension bikes I like that are lightweight and tuneable are spendy.

I can go a lot of places on my hardtail, even very technical stuff. I like the low weight too. However on fast downhills I can't go as fast as the rest of the crowd.

I really like 29ers. Next bike will probably be one.

A
A
Thanks, man.

How are ya' today O'dog? Doin' OK?

O
OP Offline
O
Yes, doing ok. Tired - slept a bunch yesterday.

--

The O'dog family traditionally held a large Halloween party. This year in light of recent events neither the She nor the Dog wanted to continue however the Pups insisted so it will be at the She's house.

The O'dog hadn't said anything to anyone but inside was a little indifferent about going. It's at the She's house and somewhat awkward. However lately the She has placed a lot of importance on this - the Dog must show up.

"Did you schedule your surgery two days before to get out of going to the party?" - No, it was first available date and I want to get it done.

"You're not going to be in great shape. If you can't go then YOU need to break it to the kids" - The O'dog can probably go but just can't/won't make a whole evening out of it - maybe an hour or two.

hmmm....why is She making a big deal out of this? Is it really about the Pups or is something else going on.

--

In other news, O'dog joined the fb group for his Zendo (in real life I don't share matters of faith like I do around here). If family and friends wondered, then now they know. I really don't care but I suspect a few others will make a matter of it.

G
G
O'D
A zendo.
Gardener likes this.

Hang in there, buddy.

Gardener

"My soul, be satisfied with flowers,
With fruit, with weeds even; but gather them
In the one garden you may call your own."
Cyrano deBergerac

Page 31 of 32 1 2 29 30 31 32