Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
Laurie's advice to Jennslilone (sp?)

Jenn, G has great advice - keep doing your best to get out of bed and into activities!!!

Also, I'd encourage you to practice stopping all those thoughts that seem to never end. This may be helpful:
1. When those thoughts start, imagine a big red flashing stop light telling you to immediately stop your running thoughts.

2. Then turn your attention to thoughts that can distract you. It could your favorite song, a prayer, verse, poem, envisioning a wonderful vacation, or whatever you want it to be. I would encourage you to go back to the same distraction every time, as your brain will begin to connect your "new thought" to a more calming mood. Along with this process, really slow down your breathing and relax.

3. Give this many weeks to begin to start slowing down your thought cycle. Know that you may need to mentally go to the stop light many times at first, but don't give up! More and more, your new distraction will move you away for longer periods of time.

And Jenn remember - keep spending time with friends, family, and activties! I hope this helped and I admire your proactive steps!

Laurie
Divorce Busting Relationship Coach
Contact The Divorce Busting Center at 815-337-8000 or 800-664-2435 if you would like to schedule a telephone consultation with Laurie - or email virginia@divorcebusting.com for info.

sg
Love is PATIENT, love is KIND, LOVE never fails / DB since 2001
Up we go!!!!!

JJ

Read about Divorce Busting® Telephone Coaching here!
C
C
If I could throw an extra into this mix of good ideas - use your body in positive ways. Some examples:
1) Force yourself to smile, in a mirror if one is handy.
2) Be playful in the mirror. Try silly faces. Flirt with yourself - wink, purse your lips, have fun. It sounds strange, but the mind has a hard time holding onto negative thoughts when it is looking at !
3) Make fists and hold them over your head like Rocky. Again, the brain relates this to a victory, which is incongruent with negative, defeated thoughts.
4) Skip. Make sure the sidewalk is not icy when you try this one. It feels silly, and the brain just doesn't quite know what to do with it.
5) Go somewhere else. If you are thinking negative thoughts in the chair, move to the couch. If you are in the kitchen, go into the garage. Sometimes that is enough for the brain to get off the negative track.

Be creative!

CF

Divorce Busting Relationship Coach
Call The Divorce Busting Center at 800-664-2435 to schedule a telephone consultation with Chuck - or email virginia@divorcebusting.com
sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
awesome

sg
So many views and not many replies!!!!!!!!

Well.... here's my tip! And this sounds really stupid

Whatever you doing, do this ..... Say and visualise "STOP IT"!

If you're sitting/lying down ... get up and say and visulaise "STOP IT"!

If you're standing up, sit down and say and visualise "STOP IT"!

If you're in the car ... change gear, change lanes, turn the radio on/off, and say and visualise "STOP IT"

If your in the supermarket, turn the trolley round and say and visulaise "STOP IT"!

It's a little like doing an instant '180' on your 'current' thoughts!

Try it!

It works for me!!!!!!

Go for it! You have nothing to lose! Except your sanity and tears!

Take care, Colin

sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
I like it!

sg
sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
from TRYING24NOW

JJ,

Here's just a little something...it's really a result of Michelle's STOP SIGN technique...

I have found that giving up what I couldn't control IS BEYOND ANY DOUBT what allowed me to begin to find my personal PEACE again.

NOW that my H is home and we are doing extremely well...I find that if one of those BURNING QUESTIONS springs to mind, you know, the kind that takes on a life all its own and tries to send us back to that painful place we fought so hard to escape...well, what I do is ask myself, "IF I ASK THIS QUESTION AND IF I GET AN ANSWER, WILL THAT CHANGE THE FACT THAT IT HAPPENED? Well of course the answer is NO...because no matter how hard we try, we can't pretend, rationalize or excuse away the painful past...so rather than rehash it we're better off simply learning from it...and trudging forward no matter how thick or deep the mud of our own fear is.
T2

sg
A
A
Thanks everyone,
I am having a tough time of thought stopping. I am constantly thinking of my sitch. It is driving me crazy!! I am going to try to put some of your suggestions into action. I need to let go of my thoughts, they are consuming me.

Anney
You know, I hadn't read this before, but it is needed. I was using Colin's technique just today, and it did help some. Unfortunately, I think I may need more than this as things seem to spiral ever deeper, and almost hourly intervals....

Done

sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
It seems to help to pre-plan some things you will replace the negative thoughts with.

Plan your thought STOP image......will it be a stop sign?

sg
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard