NOTICE: In order to help the OnLine Community run more efficiently, we will be pruning the boards over the next few weeks. If there are any Topics or Posts you want to keep, please save them soon.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#1584433 - 09/08/08 11:00 AM When God Created the Navy Wife
StrgMarvelousWmn Offline

Loc: Virginia
The good Lord was creating a model for Navy wives and was into his sixth day of overtime when an angel appeared. She said, "Lord, you seem to be having a lot of trouble with this one. Whatís wrong with the standard model?"

The Lord replied, "Have you seen the specs on this order? She has to be completely independent, possess the qualities of both father and mother, be a perfect hostess to four or forty with an hourís notice, run on black coffee, handle every emergency imaginable without a manual, be able to carry on cheerfully, even if she is pregnant or disabled and has a flu, and then she must be willing to move to a new location ten times in seventeen years. And oh, yes, she must have six pairs of hands".

The angel shook her head. "Six pairs of hands? No way". The Lord continued, "Donít worry, we will make other Navy wives to help her. And we will give her an unusually strong heart so it can swell with pride of her husbandís achievements, sustain the pain of separations, beat soundly when it is overworked and tired, and be large enough to say, "I understand, when she doesnít, and say "I love you", regardless.

"Lord", said the angel, touching his arm gently, "go to bed and get some rest. You finish this tomorrow". I canít stop now, said the Lord, "I am so close to creating something unique. Already this model heals herself when she is sick, can put up six unexpected guests for the weekend, wave goodbye to her husband from the pier, a runway or depot, and understand why itís important that he leave".

The angel circled the model of the Navy wife, looked at it closely and sighed, "it looks fine, but its too soft". "She might look soft", the Lord replied, "but she has the strength of a lion. You would not believe what she can endure".

Finally, the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek of the Lordís creation. "Thereís a leak", she announced. "Something is wrong with the construction. I am not surprised that it has cracked. You are trying to put too much into this model".

The Lord appeared offended at the angelís lack of confidence. "What you see is not a leak", he said, "itís a tear". "A tear? What is it there for?", asked the angel. The Lord replied, "Its for joy, sadness, pain, disappointment, loneliness, pride and dedication to all the values that she and her husband held dear".

"You are a genius!", exclaimed the angel. The Lord looked puzzled and replied, "I didnít put it there".

Erma Bombeck, 1974

The details to date:

Never Knew Heartbreak Hurt This Bad
Haze Grey and Underway--Can We Talk
Anchors Aweigh
Man the Rails and Give no Quarter
Between the Devil and the Deep
I Always Admired the Cut of His Jib
Why Did She Marry A Sailor
Welcome To The GoatLocker
How Long Have You Been a Sailor?
Street Girls Bringing Sailors Into Hotel--
Gee, I Wish I Were A Man, Iíd Join The Navy
Navy WifeóToughest Job In The Fleet

I drove him to the pier at 6:30 this morning. It was so hard and so awkward. It seemed like there was a lot left to be said, but neither of us knew what to say. I will post about things that happened over the weekend and today, but for now I just want to be sad. I miss my husband already and I know I will make it through the next seven months just fine, but the first day is always the worst.

Amy, thank you for answering the phone this morning, even though I know you were probably still sleeping. Please know that the lines run both ways and I will always answer when you call, too.

SMW
B2/08
S4/08
current

Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through
every circumstance.
I Corinthians 13:7

#1584440 - 09/08/08 11:04 AM Re: When God Created the Navy Wife [Re: StrgMarvelousWmn]
gForce Offline

Loc: Bangor, Maine
Sex on the Beach!
(never had the drink, or the experience, but it's a nice thought)

(((smw)))
Thinking of you. Hug your kids.
July 08: Busted!
Thread

#1584448 - 09/08/08 11:07 AM Re: When God Created the Navy Wife [Re: gForce]
StrgMarvelousWmn Offline

You are served, dear!

I have experienced both, and neither is that great! LOL I don't particularly care for rum,and the otehr puts sand in places to unmentionable to think about!

Thank you, though, for making me smile as I remember the rest of the occasion.

I only have S2 to hug, everyone else had left for school by the time I got back. Had to put up with my mother--would rather gnaw my arm off right now.

Please keep praying for us--and pray for me to have an extra measure of faith.

SMW

ETA--LOVE the new signature, btw!

Edited by sadmilitarywife (09/08/08 11:11 AM)
B2/08
S4/08
current

every circumstance.

#1584466 - 09/08/08 11:12 AM Re: When God Created the Navy Wife [Re: StrgMarvelousWmn]
StrgMarvelousWmn Offline

I think it was perfect that the mods locked my old thread last night. I was already planning on starting a new chapter today, since H and I are entering a new phase and challenge.

SMW
B2/08
S4/08
current

every circumstance.

#1584469 - 09/08/08 11:13 AM Re: When God Created the Navy Wife [Re: gForce]
S.T. _I Made It! Offline

Loc: Tulsa
first off, want to send my hugs to you. God HAS created such a strong navy wife in you. You've done this before and you can do it again. I think this will be very good for your sitch though, and both of you can let loose a little more, plus now he'll really get to feel what he is missing.

Quote:
"You are a genius!", exclaimed the angel. The Lord looked puzzled and replied, "I didnít put it there".

okay, I got the whole poem up to here. it seems to end to abruptly and I don't really get why he explains what the tear is for, but then says he didn't put it there. I'm assuming the navy wife did? hmmmmm. sometimes I'm really a blonde, it is turning grey though, so... lol

hope your get feeling better soon. let this be your day to be sad, it's good sometimes to feel sad and just cry. it is an emotion that God gave us. it's not bad, in a way it's a gift. If we were never sad, we could never truly appreciate being happy, or have sympathy for others.

(((smw)))
DB 5/2006
H wants D 6/2006
H wants ME 8/2006
H "said" PA/EA over 8/2006
H erased OW off phone! 2/2007

"It is far better 2 choose humility & change oneself, than 2 wait in vain trying 2 chang someone else."

#1584498 - 09/08/08 11:25 AM Re: When God Created the Navy Wife [Re: S.T. _I Made It!]
StrgMarvelousWmn Offline

Thank you Crissy. I gave him the letter and he tucked it into the top of his bag. When he goes to unpack, it will be the first thing he sees.

There really is a lot to tell and Amy said she saw positives when I was telling her. I am hopeful but still very sad. I am going to take the boys for a walk in a bit to get out fo the house. I will be okay by tomorrow.

As for the tear, I always thought it meant that even God could not keep her from being sad, but that he made sure she was strong enough to handle it.

SMW
B2/08
S4/08
current

every circumstance.

#1585379 - 09/08/08 10:16 PM Re: When God Created the Navy Wife [Re: StrgMarvelousWmn]
S.T. _I Made It! Offline

Loc: Tulsa
thanks SMW. I will look forward to hear all you have to tell, when you are ready. oh, don't expect him to respond to your letter at all, and I think it is best that you don't ask about it either. I never asked my H (I had given 2 at certain points of our sitch) and he never ever mentioned about them, but much later, after reconciling, he said that it was one of the things that helped him change his mind.

oh, and btw, my H is not a christian, he's not an atheist, but just one of those people who thinks there's a god but really has nothing to do with religion nor has a desire to, and I added bible verses to my letters because as christian's, we have a believe for salvation, and we also have a duty to share God with other people, including our spouse. Of course there are wrong and right times to do such.

not sure how I got on that tangent, but SMW, if you'd like to see what I wrote to my H when he went away for a week, I posted it on my own thread (so I don't hijack yours too much!)

Cant wait to hear from the bold/crazy/fun/strong SMW tomorrow. ;\)
DB 5/2006
H wants D 6/2006
H wants ME 8/2006
H "said" PA/EA over 8/2006
H erased OW off phone! 2/2007

"It is far better 2 choose humility & change oneself, than 2 wait in vain trying 2 chang someone else."

#1585380 - 09/08/08 10:17 PM Re: When God Created the Navy Wife [Re: StrgMarvelousWmn]
GoingForward Offline

Loc: California
(((((((SMW)))))))

Catching up with you, sweetie.

Originally Posted By: sadmilitarywife
Had to put up with my mother--would rather gnaw my arm off right now.

Oh boy - totally empathize with you there! I know the feeling all too well!!!

Anyhow, I really liked your letter. I sincerely hope it strikes a chord from within your H....gets him thinking....tells him to come to his senses, to step up and be the man he ought to be....to be the husband he needs to be for you.

This has been a difficult day for you, I understand, but I hope this evening finds you well and feeling a little better.

(((((((SMW)))))))

#1585388 - 09/08/08 10:22 PM Re: When God Created the Navy Wife [Re: GoingForward]
NikB Offline

Loc: Northern CA (Sacramento)
(((SMW)))

I'm sorry for such a tough day! Tomorrow will be better, I just know it. ((SMW))
Piecing: 4/07 - 9/07
Bomb 3 10/11/07: Never loved you, let's separate
2/08 slowly improving
7/08 Piecing (7/25/08 rings back on!!)
Current thread

#1585423 - 09/08/08 10:42 PM Re: When God Created the Navy Wife [Re: NikB]
BeginningAgain Offline

SMW,

From one Navy spouse to another - I understand your sadness today, and also know as you said that it is those first few days that are the hardest, but as you know the new routine develops itself and soon you are settled into it and the days get much, much easier. Tomorrow morning you will have one less day to wait until he returns and soon that will be one less week, month, etc. My W has been gone almost 11 months now. She returns in just over a month which is bringing all kinds of other stresses. Sending you (((SMW))).

S4H

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  dbmod, Virginia 

Save Your Marriage! Schedule Online

Schedule a phone consultation with a Divorce Bustingģ Coach! Call: 800-664-2435 or 303-444-7004