NOTICE: In order to help the OnLine Community run more efficiently, we will be pruning the boards over the next few weeks. If there are any Topics or Posts you want to keep, please save them soon.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#1551984 - 08/09/08 09:18 AM Welcome to the GoatLocker
StrgMarvelousWmn Offline

Loc: Virginia
I felt like a favored child on my last thread! It was ove a 150 posts, sg frequently stooped by, AND I formed my own fan club, full of some of the funnest guys in Newcomers!! Yeah ME!!!

Here is my gruesome history:

Never Knew Heartbreak Hurt This Bad
Haze Grey and Underway--Can We Talk
Anchors Aweigh
Man the Rails and Give no Quarter
Between the Devil and the Deep
I Always Admired the Cut of His Jib
Why Did She Marry A Sailor

What is the GoatLocker, you may ask? Well, pull up a chair and I will give you some more Naval history.

In Navy jargon, the GoatLocker is a lounge, sleeping area, and galley onboard a naval vessel which is reserved for the exclusive use of Chief Petty Officers. By tradition, all other personnel, including officers and even the Commanding Officer, must request permission to enter the GoatLocker.

It is believed to have originated from a time when sailing vessels had no refrigeration and fresh livestock was transported to provide milk and meat for the crew. To keep the supply of milk safe and available, the goat was kept in the Chief Petty Officers quarters. Hence, the GoatLocker. (Wikipedia)

My favorite GoatLocker story is that of El Cid (the Chief), the Navy's mascot. Entertainment on liberty took many forms, mostly depending on the coast and opportunity. One incident which became tradition was at a Navy-Army football game. One pet, a goat named El Cid (meaning Chief) was the mascot aboard the USS New York. When its crew attended the fourth Army Navy Game in 1893, they took El Cid to the game, which resulted in the West Pointers losing. El Cid (The Chief) was offered shore duty at Annapolis and became the Navy's mascot from there on forward.

SMW
B2/08
S4/08
current

Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through
every circumstance.
I Corinthians 13:7

#1551989 - 08/09/08 09:24 AM Re: Welcome to the GoatLocker [Re: StrgMarvelousWmn]
StrgMarvelousWmn Offline

Now to respond to Mike and my big brother from my last thread--

I am glad you guys see positives and I am not blowing smoke up my own butt. I know, I see some, too, and I got a couple more glimmers of hope last night, when he finally made it back to the house.

Unfortunately, I am on my way out of the house to play Navy Selectee Wife at a fundraiser carwash and cannot post too much now. H has duty and cannot be there, so I thought that maybe I could go help out in his place. I was thinking about doing it and when I suggested it to H last night, I barely had the words out of my mouth and he was already nodding his head yes and encouraging me to go.

So, off I go in my Navy Wife t-shirt with D8 and D5 in tow!! I will come in later and tell you guys about last night.

SMW

Edited by sadmilitarywife (08/09/08 09:26 AM)
B2/08
S4/08
current

every circumstance.

#1551992 - 08/09/08 09:33 AM Re: Welcome to the GoatLocker [Re: StrgMarvelousWmn]
Neilh23 Offline

Loc: Western New York
it's hard to see the positives when yuou are living it. that's why this place is so nice to come to. Our friendss point out all the positives that happen.

BTW...you'll be tickled pink about this. I've been doing plastic models of navy ships....LOL...part of my GALing...
D #1: 3.5 D #2: 2
Together: 13 M:6
Bomb Dropped: 2/15/08
Sep legally: 6/18/08

"Tommorrow there'll be sunshine, and all this darkness past..."
-Bruce Springsteen Land of Hope and Dreams

#1552060 - 08/09/08 11:25 AM Re: Welcome to the GoatLocker [Re: Neilh23]
sgctxok Offline

honey, i don't think you're really separated. \:\)

#1552127 - 08/09/08 12:56 PM Re: Welcome to the GoatLocker [Re: sgctxok]
StrgMarvelousWmn Offline

Originally Posted By: sgctxok
honey, i don't think you're really separated. \:\)

sg--

Then why am I sleeping by myself at night?? \:\(

SMW
B2/08
S4/08
current

every circumstance.

#1552129 - 08/09/08 12:57 PM Re: Welcome to the GoatLocker [Re: Neilh23]
StrgMarvelousWmn Offline

Originally Posted By: Neilh23
it's hard to see the positives when yuou are living it. that's why this place is so nice to come to. Our friendss point out all the positives that happen.

BTW...you'll be tickled pink about this. I've been doing plastic models of navy ships....LOL...part of my GALing...

LOL Neil! That is great! What ones have you done? am thinking about getting a flag flown over the Constitution for my H as part of his gift for Chief.

SMW
B2/08
S4/08
current

every circumstance.

#1552140 - 08/09/08 01:19 PM Re: Welcome to the GoatLocker [Re: StrgMarvelousWmn]
Neilh23 Offline

Loc: Western New York
SMV (now i do it on purpose)-

I am working on the Missouri. I also still have the bismarck and the arizona to do. unfortaunately, there's not really any hobby shops around here, so i order them on ebay mostly...LOL
D #1: 3.5 D #2: 2
Together: 13 M:6
Bomb Dropped: 2/15/08
Sep legally: 6/18/08

"Tommorrow there'll be sunshine, and all this darkness past..."
-Bruce Springsteen Land of Hope and Dreams

#1552154 - 08/09/08 01:35 PM Re: Welcome to the GoatLocker [Re: StrgMarvelousWmn]
StrgMarvelousWmn Offline

Let me start with last night. H did not get back here from Chief's until around 11pm. He came in and was surprised that I had finished all of his laundry and had his uniform on a hanger. Said he was going to go ahead and iron it here and I said that was fine.

While he was ironing, he was telling me more stories about initiation this past week. Told me what he and Chief were doing and talked about the money that they are expected to raise through fundraising. It felt just like it did prior to the bomb, when we shared evrything. He was smiling and joking.

I mentioned the car wash to him and brought up him having duty today, and said "If it is not a problem, I was thinking that I would take the girls"--that was as far as I got and he was already shaking his head yes and finished my sentence--"and go help out." He said it was a great idea and he was sure that everyone would appreciate the extra help.

He ended up leaving here around midnight. I walked him out to his car so I could grab D5's car seat. While we were standing by the cars, I told him he was welcome to stay--I had shaving gear he could use. He said he appreciated the offer, but his boots and all were on the ship. This way he could just get up and go straight to muster. I told him that the offer was open. I kind of left it at that. I told him to drive safely and stroked his neck as I was closing his car door. He waved as I was walking back to the house, waited til I was opening the front door, and waved again. I feel like I am dating my husband.

The car wash was a blast! I was the only spouse there and the kids and I jumped right in to help out. I told them since my H couldn't be there, I figured it was my job to represent us. Alot of the guys seemed shocked that I got bothered and it was roundly noted that I was the only spouse there--especially by senior officers that were there--good PR for H on my part. I got a ton of thank yous and the three selectees that are women came over and gave me hugs when we were leaving. If I did not have a birthday party to go to we would have stayed later. ther is another one next week and I have already been asked to come back and help again.

H is coming over on Sunday after church and spending the day with the kids. I did invite him to attend church with us, but he is going to meet his dad and go pick up some of his new uniforms. I am thinking I might not be here for part of his visit, but then again I don't know. If I am and things are comfortable, they might progress, if I am not and he is wondering where I took off to, it might force his hand. I don't know what to do.

My gut tells me to just do whatever I would normally do, if things were not like they are right now. It seems to be working and it keeps me comfortable around him.

On my way to my SIL and BIL for my niece's 1st birthday. I will be back in later this evening.

SMW
B2/08
S4/08
current

every circumstance.

#1552161 - 08/09/08 01:39 PM Re: Welcome to the GoatLocker [Re: Neilh23]
StrgMarvelousWmn Offline

LOL Neil, I figured you were!

Ebay does work and there are several good online hobby shops you could probably use, too.

SMW
B2/08
S4/08
current

every circumstance.

#1552175 - 08/09/08 01:46 PM Re: Welcome to the GoatLocker [Re: StrgMarvelousWmn]
stella_k Offline

((((SMW)))),

just wanted to stop by and say hello !

You sound great, and you ARE dating your H! I liked how you stroked hi neck :).

Have a wonderful time at your SIL/BIL, (((hugs))).
H 45
D 17
M/T 23
Bomb #1 (ILYBNILWY) 12.06
Bomb #2 (OW) 12.07
Bomb #3 (chose OW over M) 9.08

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  dbmod, Virginia 

Save Your Marriage! Schedule Online

Schedule a phone consultation with a Divorce Busting® Coach! Call: 800-664-2435 or 303-444-7004